Video: Dixie Chicks gloat at the Grammys

posted at 9:17 am on February 12, 2007 by Allahpundit

They won five awards, including Best Angry Song, Most Petulant Album, and Truth-to-Power of the Year. Even the little troll who sings lead thinks it was political.

Also injecting a little political flavor: Ludacris, who gave a shout out to the man who cost him the Pepsi campaign, and America’s real president, who turned out to keep up his hipness quotient just in case he changes his mind about ’08.

The confetti wasn’t for the Gorebot, by the way. It was left over from the Chili Peppers’ performance.

Comments

Al Gore?
The same Al Gore who was part of the PMRC?
A group that wanted to label pop/rock music because…”…the change in rock music was attributable to the decay of the nuclear family in America.”

The same Al Gore who: “…(Gore) asserted that families are “haven[s] of moral stability” which protect children from outside influence, and without the family structure rock music was “infecting the youth of the world with messages they cannot handle.”

Is that the same Al Gore who was being honored at the Grammy’s….??

Hmmmm.

guitarguy

guitarguy on February 12, 2007 at 1:38 PM

Actually the fun got started last night during 60 Minutes. They had a feature on Norah Jones, who unbeknownst to me wrote some sort of anti-war protest song. Katie Couric asked her “weren’t you afraid of a Dixie Chicks style backlash?”

That was the most annoying interview I’d seen in awhile. Jones, whose music I like, said that her new album “was not as accessible” as her previous ones. It always irritates me when recording artists go artiste and think that somehow making their music harder to listen to equals artistic success.

Slublog on February 12, 2007 at 1:50 PM

Norah Jones’s music doesn’t appeal to people who would disagree with her point. That’s what no of them seem to get. It’s not that people wanted to “silence” the Dixie Chicks. It’s that they were insulting their core audience!

And it didn’t help that they did this while overseas.

Slublog on February 12, 2007 at 1:50 PM

I agree. And I hate it even more when fans say the same thing and complain that groups they like have become “popular” and have therefore “sold out.”

kind of ironic that the only time the Dixie Chicks win something from the grammies is when they act like anti-american dolts.
Defector01 on February 12, 2007 at 12:36 PM

Are you serious? Because I think it makes perfect sense.

Esthier on February 12, 2007 at 2:10 PM

The Grammies don’t mean sh_t anymore and haven’t for a long, long time.

And if they keep rolling out the likes of AlGore as presenters (right after Dixie Chick-types have won another political grammy), they won’t ever mean sh_t again either.

Teddy on February 12, 2007 at 2:21 PM

I’m still in tears………. my money was on Hillary’s rendition of our National Anthem….

PinkyBigglesworth on February 12, 2007 at 12:16 PM

Excellent! Good point. I can forgive her bad singing, but not knowing the words? I can’t carry a tune in a bucket myself but I know the words.

CrimsonFisted on February 12, 2007 at 2:23 PM

Slublog on February 12, 2007 at 1:50 PM

Rick on February 12, 2007 at 2:23 PM

Previous comment was not fully posted for some reason. Meant to say:

Slublog on February 12, 2007 at 1:50 PM

Her music is available at my neighborhood Starbucks – how eccentric of her.

Rick on February 12, 2007 at 2:25 PM

Dixie Chicks – I will never apologize a la Mad TV.

Candy Slice on February 12, 2007 at 2:26 PM

Dixie Chicks – I will never apologize a la Mad TV.

Candy Slice on February 12, 2007 at 2:26 PM

Anybody who hasn’t followed CandySlice’s link – you really should.

Now that is funny.

Best line: “We’d like to sell some own tickets in our own country again, we can’t play in our home towns, we’ve been banned in the South … c’mon people, we can’t help it if the little one has a big mouth …”

After Jaherer22’s cringe-worthy oops moment up there, this link is the funniest thing I’ve seen all day.

Professor Blather on February 12, 2007 at 2:47 PM

I’m sure the grammy folks thought this award would cast a good light on these three cows. The problem is the award forever links the grammy awards to these three cows and their reprehensible behavior.

The grammy’s drop a notch in credibility. If they had any to begin with.

csdeven on February 12, 2007 at 2:48 PM

“The entire country may disagree with me, but I don’t understand the necessity for patriotism,” Maines resumes, through gritted teeth. “Why do you have to be a patriot? About what? This land is our land? Why? You can like where you live and like your life, but as for loving the whole country… I don’t see why people care about patriotism.”

Link

Candy Slice on February 12, 2007 at 2:55 PM

Entertainment Awards at this time are more about their political alignment to the Left rather than the quality of their art.

Grammy who? I have lost interst in these awards.

omegaram on February 12, 2007 at 2:58 PM

Candy Slice:

I’m still laughing at that MadTV thing:

“I’m here to say that there is no God,
and I support the radical Islamic Jihad …”

Priceless.

I like when they drive the spike into her head at the end, too. Might be my favorite part.

Professor Blather on February 12, 2007 at 2:58 PM

How about when (the surviving members of) The Doors were given a Lifetime Achievement Award. I thought those were only supposed to be given to people whose body of work span 3, 4 or even 5 decades? Or was that merely a cue for everybody backstage to take a bong hit in anticipation of Al Gore’s appearance?

Dave Shay on February 12, 2007 at 3:08 PM

Dixie Who?

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on February 12, 2007 at 3:13 PM

I watched The Police reunion. After Jamie Fox’s first lame-ass comment (was it supposed to be a joke??? who write this crap?) I hit the channel button on the remote.

SicSemperTyrannus on February 12, 2007 at 3:18 PM

Professor Blather –

I love the look on the other two “Dixie Chicks'” faces when she sings that part.

It’s also funny how lefty blogs are all posting articles how this is “sticking it to the man.” What man is that? President Bush? He actually supported their right to say what they said. They are quite the spoiled little dipsticks.

Candy Slice on February 12, 2007 at 3:22 PM

Candy Slice on February 12, 2007 at 3:22 PM

The delicious irony that all those leftist miss – because leftists generally lack both the intelligence and the humor required to notice irony – is that the DixieTwits are themselves proof that almost every current lefty meme is either a tinfoil exaggeration or a complete fabrication.

According to the Loony Left, in Amerikkka, the world’s great fascist totalitarian Satan, freedom has been destroyed and free speech is in shackles …

… yet somehow a gaggle of uneducated airheads can mock the President on the eve of war from foriegn soil, can mock the entire idea of patriotism … and yet appear on television and receive awards for it.

Go ahead: try that in the Leftist paradise of Cuba. Or Venezuela. Or Iran.

In fact … try it in western Europe right now. Try mocking a LIBERAL in power there. Careful.

Or, for bonus points, mock radical Islam. Go ahead.

Liberals never get this point, until they grow up – that as long as they’re squawking, their proving their own lies.

It’s funny as Hell, isn’t?

Interestingly, the fact that conservatives actually embrace free speech while liberals loathe it even carries into the blogosphere. Go to any major liberal blog – and try to carry on a conversation, with a clearly conservative viewpoint.

Good luck.

Keep squawking, Chicks. With each mindless babble and every award, you prove me right. What a great, free, glorious country we have!

Professor Blather on February 12, 2007 at 3:48 PM

their = they’re = there

your = you’re

plurals are option

PIMF

Professor Blather on February 12, 2007 at 3:49 PM

option = optional

Boy, do they need a preview function around here. Or I need to learn to type.

Professor Blather on February 12, 2007 at 3:50 PM

I’m with you Jammie

****yawn***,

I think I need to go trim my kid’s toenails…or pick their nose for them.

Somebody call me when they all drop dead.

seejanemom on February 12, 2007 at 4:22 PM

I can hardly wait for their next cancelled performance!!

gary on February 12, 2007 at 4:33 PM

Wonder home much they’ll get for it on EBay?

– The Cat

MirCat on February 12, 2007 at 4:46 PM

So…a gathering of narcissistic brain-dead America-hating circlejerkers turned into a narcissistic brain-dead America-hating circlejerk. Shocking.

Ah, the bravery of liberals, to spout identical opinions to a friendly audience without interference or restriction, while courageously whining about how oppressed they are. It brings a tear to the eye. Funny how you never see any of them crusading for free expression in Cuba or Venezuela or Iran.

ReubenJCogburn on February 12, 2007 at 4:47 PM

Pity F*ck, anyone?

Misha I on February 12, 2007 at 5:00 PM

Pity F*ck, anyone?

Misha I on February 12, 2007 at 5:00 PM

No way. I have standards.

But if we have to, you’re taking the little one in the middle.

Professor Blather on February 12, 2007 at 5:14 PM

You have to love where the music industry is today…give it time and we will have “Anti-American Idol” on CBS.

EnochCain on February 12, 2007 at 5:22 PM

Pity F*ck, anyone?

Misha I on February 12, 2007 at 5:00 PM

No way. I have standards.

But if we have to, you’re taking the little one in the middle.

Professor Blather on February 12, 2007 at 5:14 PM

Well, I do know a way to shut her yapping mouth up for once.

ReubenJCogburn on February 12, 2007 at 5:23 PM

Wow… people actually watched the grammys.

I mean it’s not like there was anything good this year anyway.

No good Metal.

No good blues.

and some mediocre rock….

Wake me if Metallica or AC/DC, or Aerosmith, or some other band that knows how to ROCK releases something new.

Jones Zemkophill on February 12, 2007 at 5:33 PM

Dixie Who?

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on February 12, 2007 at 3:13 PM

Dixiecrats

Rick on February 12, 2007 at 5:34 PM

No way. I have standards.

But if we have to, you’re taking the little one in the middle.

Wouldn’t work. She’s not small enough for me to place my beer on her head while she… Nevermind.

Misha I on February 12, 2007 at 5:36 PM

In case anyone wants a good, snarky rundown of the events at the Grammy’s, see this.

thirteen28 on February 12, 2007 at 6:00 PM

In case you’ve all forgotten what REAL country sounds like as the Grammys and Country Billboard folks in Nahsville apparently have, check out “Dick in Dixie” by Hank Williams III.

Caution, NSFW due to language/lack of PC BS…

NTWR on February 12, 2007 at 6:03 PM

I never watch the dumbo Grammys.

JackM on February 12, 2007 at 6:11 PM

The media have written up the big Grammy win as vindication.

Which means, of course, its not. Fat Nat and the Cross-Eyed Mary’s were rewarded for treason.

How are the concert ticket sales….In Europe, I mean.

doingwhatican on February 12, 2007 at 7:18 PM

Pity F*ck, anyone?

Misha I on February 12, 2007 at 5:00 PM

No way. I have standards.

But if we have to, you’re taking the little one in the middle.

Professor Blather on February 12, 2007 at 5:14 PM

Well, I do know a way to shut her yapping mouth up for once.

ReubenJCogburn on February 12, 2007 at 5:23 PM

*Places neatly back in the DU/DKos forum..*

Reaps on February 12, 2007 at 7:20 PM

What football team does the squat one play for again? Is that one with the ponytail crosseyed or have I had enough to drink this evening?

NEMETI IN SYRACUSE on February 12, 2007 at 7:29 PM

check out “Dick in Dixie” by Hank Williams III.
NTWR on February 12, 2007 at 6:03 PM

Good stuff, and everything he says is true. Nashville won’t have anything to do with him because they want watered down chumps like McGraw. This guy is one of the few good things in Nashville these days, but Music Row won’t give him any support because he’s not a bland, polished, pop wannabe.

forged rite on February 12, 2007 at 7:42 PM

Sorry ’bout that. Good link.

forged rite on February 12, 2007 at 7:48 PM

Good for the Chicks! Taking the Long Way is a terrific album, and one which I am very happy to own. The fact that some people on the far right are unable to get over what is now a four year old faux pas is pretty sad.

John on February 12, 2007 at 10:02 AM

Faux pas? It wasn’t the first time and neither was it the 10th time. Far right? What’s sad is a band, admittedly a somewhat talented band, like the Dixie Chicks, all the Bush is Hitler crap aside, making the statement “In June 2006 an article in the Telegraph quoted Emily Robison on the lack of support from other country music performers, “A lot of artists cashed in on being against what we said or what we stood for because that was promoting their career, which was a horrible thing to do.” Robison continued, “A lot of pandering started going on, and you’d see soldiers and the American flag in every video. It became a sickening display of ultra-patriotism.” Maines commented, “The entire country may disagree with me, but I don’t understand the necessity for patriotism. Why do you have to be a patriot? About what? This land is our land? Why? You can like where you live and like your life, but as for loving the whole country … I don’t see why people care about patriotism.”

Heaven forbid!! Flag waving and patriotism!!! Off with our heads. They disgust me. Lefties always lean back on the freedom of speech argument when they make statements like Bush is Hitler. Unfortunately, no one else is, in their opinion, allowed to respond, unless it is to agree.

Glynn on February 12, 2007 at 7:51 PM

Oh I love Shooter! He’s #2 besides Hank 3 for me. Now if only the Hag had produced a son in the music industry…

It seems Hank 3 and Shooter will rise up no matter what- I predict a lot of “indy” label success for them. There’s definetly a market for real country. Nashville is crazy not to be exploiting it.

NTWR on February 12, 2007 at 7:52 PM

They may have won an award from their fellow BDS fans but they will never get another penny from me. I’m also looking forward to their next cancelled concert series in the Red States. They can pander to the leftists pigs and trolls on here. The country music folk have turned their back on the Twits. They don’t want to be in country music anymore either. They don’t want to be in the cd spinner with Reba or Toby they said. What a bunch of punch drunk idiots and I don’t care what their stupid album debuted at. There were a lot of fools in the blue states who a few years ago wouldn’t be caught dead at a Twits concert who suddenly felt “inpired” by their insipid remarks.

Catie96706 on February 12, 2007 at 8:12 PM

Lost all respect for the grammys when they gave Jethro Tull an award for best heavy metal album of the year. Any band that has a flute is not a heavy metal band.

dawgyear on February 12, 2007 at 8:26 PM

Pity F*ck, anyone?

Misha I on February 12, 2007 at 5:00 PM

No way. I have standards.

But if we have to, you’re taking the little one in the middle.

Professor Blather on February 12, 2007 at 5:14 PM

Well, I do know a way to shut her yapping mouth up for once.

ReubenJCogburn on February 12, 2007 at 5:23 PM

*Places neatly back in the DU/DKos forum..*

Reaps on February 12, 2007 at 7:20 PM

Well, naturally I was referring to stuffing a sock in it, and anyone who thinks otherwise has a naughty mind and should be ashamed of themselves.

ReubenJCogburn on February 12, 2007 at 8:36 PM

I don’t even give a half a crap about the Grammy’s, the Oscar’s, Golden Globe’s, none of it. It’s nothing but very unintelligent self-important arteests congratulating themselves for being rich & famous. I don’t watch that garbage. Never have, never will.

SilverStar830 on February 12, 2007 at 8:55 PM

All these awards are just marketing gimmicks to push sales of slow products. And there are sooo many now, to the point of boredom. How many people really watch these things anymore? The ceremonies are always lousy – incredible that Hollywood with all it’s show biz resources can’t put on a better show. The Dixie Chicks can be all self-absorbed now that their Lefties buddies have engineered this for them. They got money for a bash-Bush movie nobody watched, now this. Nobody is bying their CDs and their concerts are kaput.
The Left obviously has money to burn for the sole purpose of attacking their political opponents. Tax them for obscene profits and put it in a trust fund for the people. They have too much money. They don’t work for it anymore. They don’t need 5,000 sq ft houses or tyen vehicles. Restrict them to two. They are using too much resources, heating and cooling and watering their lawns in a dry climate. Tax them and fine them and tax them some more.

naliaka on February 12, 2007 at 9:40 PM

On The View today Rosie Odonnel said the Dixie Chicks were “blacklisted”. So that’s the new old word from liberals to label people who protest against what they believe.

The Left “dissents” The Right “blacklists”.

hadsil on February 12, 2007 at 10:07 PM

thirteen28 on February 12, 2007 at 6:00 PM

Okay, THAT was hilarious, but this was my favorite part.

9:39 — Best moment of the night: LeAnn Rimes and Mandy Moore coming out to present as the camera cuts to Jamie Foxx studying them with one of those, “Wait, have I been with either of them yet?” looks on his face. Classic. He’s the best. Meanwhile, the Dixie Chicks win again for “Best Country Album.” We might make it through this entire show without me hearing a single song that I downloaded in 2006.

Glynn on February 12, 2007 at 10:09 PM

I see Queen la Alfa hasn’t stopped knoshing.

daveintexas on February 12, 2007 at 10:14 PM

The Bushitler administration is shaping-up to be the most incompetent fascist regime ever!
-phil
phile on February 12, 2007 at 12:15 P
M

You think that one up all by yourelf?

forged rite on February 12, 2007 at 12:47 PM

I don’t think you understood. I was being sarcastic. For a fascist regime, the Bush admin doesn’t really do a very good job silencing dissent. Hence “incompetent fascists”, as in, really poor at the whole fascist thing. Kappish?

-phil

phile on February 12, 2007 at 10:16 PM

*Places neatly back in the DU/DKos forum..*

Reaps on February 12, 2007 at 7:20 PM

ReubenJCogburn on February 12, 2007 at 8:36 PM

Reaps: Lighten up, Francis.

Reuben: I know – some people just have their minds in the gutter, don’t they? (snort)

Professor Blather on February 12, 2007 at 10:33 PM

dawgyear on February 12, 2007 at 8:26 PM

Jethro Tull was an excellent band … although you are right, they were most decidedly not a heavy metal band.

Personally I thought the Grammy’s jumped the shark when they gave Bruce Springsteen’s ‘The River’ best album over Pink Floyd’s ‘The Wall’ … but I’m dating myself badly now.

thirteen28 on February 12, 2007 at 10:36 PM

thirteen28 on February 12, 2007 at 10:36 PM

So shines a light in a dim world…for all this time I thought I was the only one who felt that way.

Glynn on February 12, 2007 at 10:51 PM

Professor Blather on February 12, 2007 at 10:33 PM

Indeed. Just a bunch of filthy hooligans, I say. Rapscallions, even.

ReubenJCogburn on February 12, 2007 at 10:53 PM

-phil
phile on February 12, 2007 at 10:16 PM

Kappish. Sorry about that.

forged rite on February 12, 2007 at 11:00 PM

Hey Limerick!

How much can you pawn a Grammy for?

My Mom’s got mine on her mantle. She can take that Grammy, along with $1.50 and get coffee anywhere she pleases.

james hooker on February 12, 2007 at 11:09 PM

-phil

phile on February 12, 2007 at 10:16 PM

Kappish?

ugh. that’s so… 1970’s brooklyn.

How about the more piratical: “Savy?”

or the archaeic: “What Ay?”

or the simple naval “Aye?”

ANYTHING (well, almost) but not Kappish. something about that word just… UGH. It makes me want to unleash a barrage of onomatopoeia.

Jones Zemkophill on February 12, 2007 at 11:14 PM

Bring the ohmytomatopeala, tough guy.

And it’s capisce.

Jaibones on February 13, 2007 at 1:22 AM

It is pretty sad when the most responses on HotAir is to the Dixie Chicks. You guys need to get lives!!!

shackler on February 13, 2007 at 3:41 AM

shackler on February 13, 2007 at 3:41 AM

Yet here you are posting on the same thread.

EnochCain on February 13, 2007 at 3:43 AM

Being the rock n roll kinda guy I am, I’ve always thought the Grammys were a joke. What does it have to do with rock n roll? I’ve always that the Grammys were political. And I don’t mean just left-wing politics, but political within the music industry itself as well.

vcferlita on February 13, 2007 at 8:52 AM

shackler on February 13, 2007 at 3:41 AM

It’s quite appropriate, because it’s politics. The Dixie Chicks got their grammy for the same reason Jimmy Carter got his Noble Prize. To stick a finger in President Bush’s eye, and by extension the people who support him. The DCs were crashing in popularity with their obnoxious comments but they still managed to land multi-million dollar financing for a movie to further bash President Bush. Any data on whether the movie even broke even? How did they get it distributed if the entertainment industry knew for a fact that the Chicks had lost their #1 audience and had not yet built a replacement fan base (country fans are loyal and go to concerts. The Chicks gave the finger to their upset fans, who were willing to give them a pass if they had been contrite, and gambled on a new, upscale fan base -which doesn’t typically attend concerts – an astoundingly stupid career move by the Chicks.)
This has nothing to do with “music” and everything with the Left’s monopoly dominance of the media, and the awards committees. When was the last time any conservative was even given a nod on any award in any field? Why are our kids being taught out of published American texbooks about the likes of Patricia Schroeder (D-CO) or Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) – more time spent on them who are historically insignificant – than the time allotted to George Washington? They are Democrats – that trumps history. Why is global warming THE topic in the American eucational system to the exclusion of other viewpoints, followed by recycling? WHy are Democrats always the good guys in being presented to us in school, news, movies, television, radio, everything? Republicans are always presented in disapproving and unflattering tones, comments and badly misleading presentations. It’s so absurd that Democrats will be pictured in warm, vibrant colors in photographs, Republicans in stark shadowed black and white. Why is the consumer obligated to buy cable packages of 50 channels, 45 of which one would never watch? Is it not a subsidy for non-performing channels, usually larded with Left 100% propaganda 24/7. It was said this week on the blogs – defeat the Left and all else will follow.

naliaka on February 13, 2007 at 9:45 AM

Confirmation:
On Drudge: “Dickie Chicks Grammy seen as confirmation.”
Yep, confirms all right that the Grammy was bestowed by the Left -dominated committee to be used for political reasons to support the Bash Bush message spewed by the Dixie Chicks, not for any valid “artistic excellence.”

naliaka on February 13, 2007 at 10:58 AM

It goes to show how naïve the Chicks are to think they won the grammys for their talent.

Their gloating will be short-lived when they wake up to reality.

pocomoco on February 13, 2007 at 10:56 PM

Al Gore thought it was the Nobel awards.

Hening on February 13, 2007 at 11:23 PM

I feel sorry for Natalie Maines’ family. I used to live in the Lubbock area in the early ’90’s, and the Maines Brothers were considered some of the top musicians in the Texas country music scene. People around Lubbock are reeeaaal conservative (forbidden to wear heavy-metal t-shirts to school conservative), and won’t ever forget or forgive what this little pipsqueak has done. I bet she isn’t invited over for Thanksgiving dinner anymore. Hope she’s real proud of herself.

smellthecoffee on February 14, 2007 at 12:47 AM