NFL refused to run Border Patrol recruitment ad mentioning terrorism

posted at 2:03 pm on February 12, 2007 by Allahpundit

Perish the thought that CBP might have a part to play in the war on terror.

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS), which oversees the Border Patrol, had offered to pay for the advertisment [in the Super Bowl program], which was part of a campaign to boost the number of agents by 18,000. But money wasn’t the issue, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told ABC News.

The ad “was specific to border patrol and mentioned terro rists,” he said. “The game was in Miami, where [immigration] is a sensitive political issue…[it] made us a little bit uncomfortable.”…

The league told DHS it would be willing to run a more generic recruiting ad but never received a response to the offer.

What does the game being in Miami have to do with it? Since when are Cuban-Americans strong advocates for open borders? They helped elect Mel Martinez back before he had his amnesty conversion on the road to Damascus, didn’t they?

Miami, immigration, the Border Patrol, and now a juicy media angle involving America’s favorite sports league. Exit question: How many minutes until the inevitable Tancredo press conference?

tancredo-lancelot.jpg

Comments

G** forbid we should do anything that would offend anybody.

dalewalt on February 12, 2007 at 2:10 PM

What does the game being in Miami have to do with it?

Miami has been colonized & the NFL know it…so does anyone else who doesnt intentionally put their head in the sand.

DwnSouthJukin on February 12, 2007 at 2:10 PM

This is the same NFL that shut down a church planning to have a Superbowl party saying they couldn’t charge a few bucks a head, couldn’t use a big screen TV, couldn’t have more than a handfull of attendees, couldn’t use the word Superbowl in their flyers (did you know the NFL had copyrighted the word?).

Retread on February 12, 2007 at 2:11 PM

Wow, the new commish is really working overtime to offend a significant portion of the fan base. Way to go, Roger.

thirteen28 on February 12, 2007 at 2:13 PM

National Felon League. Must protect their own.

bloggless on February 12, 2007 at 2:14 PM

I know that politics is for ugly people, BUT DAMN! Tom Tancredo is not an attractive man.

And before someone accuses me of being teh ghey…. I’m not gay, but I am curious.

natesnake on February 12, 2007 at 2:20 PM

4 words: NFL Commissioner Condoleeza Rice

Maybe we can look for the commercial during the Daytona 500 this weekend. I don’t think NASCAR will have a problem with it.

db on February 12, 2007 at 2:21 PM

Miami is the safe place where wealthy central and south Americans keep homes just in case their countries pull a Castro Chavez. You don’t want to make that kind of money nervous.

In the interest of full disclosure I went to Culver’s summer camp with some of these budding thugs. A more arrogant bunch you can’t imagine. It certainly makes the leftward turn of our South American neighbors understandable. Too bad these revolutions against the slightly lighter skinned feudal lords are being led by hardcore communist thugs.

Bill C on February 12, 2007 at 2:23 PM

Actually, America’s favorite sports league is…Wrestling. Wrestling pulls in more money and viewers than all pro sports combined.

Maybe we need to put the WWE on the border??? Hmmm…

robblefarian on February 12, 2007 at 2:23 PM

Maybe we need to put the WWE on the border??? Hmmm…

robblefarian on February 12, 2007 at 2:23 PM

That would just encourage the Nacho Libre’s of the world to immigrate illegally (as if they don’t have encouragement enough at this point).

thirteen28 on February 12, 2007 at 2:25 PM

“Do you remember that one time, when the people were cheering, and I ripped open my blouse?”

natesnake on February 12, 2007 at 2:26 PM

“When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room. It’s for fun.”

Slublog on February 12, 2007 at 2:29 PM

Interesting… so the NFL essentialy CENSORED a messege from out own Federal Government….

Really wild seeing as how if they did this to an individual or group of citizens, they would have been immediatly sued.

Romeo13 on February 12, 2007 at 2:29 PM

“Perhaps later, we could have some toast.”

natesnake on February 12, 2007 at 2:33 PM

“Eagle powers…come to me! Please!”

Slublog on February 12, 2007 at 2:33 PM

“Your only job is to cook. Do you not realize I have had diarrhea since Easters?”

natesnake on February 12, 2007 at 2:38 PM

DAMN! I didn’t think about that! At least then we might have a better idea of the illegal ones! It’s harder to blend in wearing a Strongbad Mexican Wrastlin’ mask and a crocheted cape with the Virgin Mary on it…

robblefarian on February 12, 2007 at 2:41 PM

So you guys are the type of people who quote a movie for giggles?

Bill C on February 12, 2007 at 2:42 PM

Lame…

x95b10 on February 12, 2007 at 2:42 PM

So you guys are the type of people who quote a movie for giggles?

Yup.

Slublog on February 12, 2007 at 2:43 PM

Sorry, didn’t mean to start an onslaught of Nacho Libre quotes. But yes, I am giggling like a little schoolgirl, er, schoolboy…

robblefarian on February 12, 2007 at 2:45 PM

Well, the NFL is justifiably sensitive to political issues ever since the Jackson booby incident. What goes around, comes around I imagine and the desire not to cause controversy or piss off their audience cuts both ways.

NPP on February 12, 2007 at 2:45 PM

*giggles like a little girl*

Sometimes.

natesnake on February 12, 2007 at 2:45 PM

Actually, I’m giggling like Stimpy.

robblefarian on February 12, 2007 at 2:47 PM

Just one more… for Allah

“I dunno why you always have to be judging me because I only believe in science.”

fin

natesnake on February 12, 2007 at 2:48 PM

That Tom Tancredo, he just seems to be RIGHT over and over again.
I for one, am going to start listening to him. He hasn’t lied and he hasn’t put his ego and personal arrogance above his desire to do what is best for this country. No matter what crap is slung at him.

Wish there were more like Tancredo, to put AMERICA first and to be honest about it.
Illegal Immigration is the number one issue in America today. It encompasses absolutely every other issue there is on the table.

shooter on February 12, 2007 at 2:50 PM

I’m not gay, but I am curious.

*giggles like a little girl*
Sometimes.
natesnake on February 12, 2007 at 2:45 PM

Are you trying to tell us something natesnake?

forged rite on February 12, 2007 at 2:59 PM

I don’t think NASCAR will have a problem with it.

db on February 12, 2007 at 2:21 PM

Since it’s on FOX, maybe. But you’d be surprised how far NASCAR is going to sanitize it’s image now.

SouthernDem on February 12, 2007 at 2:59 PM

BTW, Slu, Allah,

looks like two of the BP agents who testified against Ramos and Campean are being fired for changing their testimony:

PRCalDude on February 12, 2007 at 3:01 PM

Interesting story, but it is WND. They’re not known for being the most, um, accurate or unbiased source of information.

Slublog on February 12, 2007 at 3:03 PM

Where is Clint Taylor? Could use a vid or two from him again.

shooter on February 12, 2007 at 3:04 PM

back on topic:
This isn’t the first time corporate media has censored a commercial. It’s simple math; balance the revenue income with the potential blow-back.

Is it unfortunate? Yes. Is the Miami excuse flimsy? Absolutely. The NFL response would have held more weight if the game was played in Texas, Arizona, or California.

A border with the Gulf of Mexico is not the same as a border with Mexico.

natesnake on February 12, 2007 at 3:07 PM

No story here. Move along.

Gregor on February 12, 2007 at 3:09 PM

At trial, Vasquez contradicted the statements of other agents present at the scene when he said he was unable to smell nearly 800 pounds of marijuana when he opened the door to Aldrete-Davila’s abandoned van.

from this link above: PRCalDude on February 12, 2007 at 3:01 PM

They KNEW what was in the van, the BP’s had probable cause, this is FAR from over.

shooter on February 12, 2007 at 3:09 PM

GT’s favorite witness FIRED.

Gregor on February 12, 2007 at 3:12 PM

Robert Pastor unmasked.

Gregor on February 12, 2007 at 3:14 PM

db on February 12, 2007 at 2:21 PM

There will be Toyotas in the field of this year’s Daytona. The end is near!

SailorDave on February 12, 2007 at 3:15 PM

Are you trying to tell us something natesnake?

I figured after the divorce and a few dozen failed relationships, I’d try something different. 95% of teh ghey lifestyle is great! I dressed better, I smelled better, my house was clean, I went to cultured events like the ballet, I cooked like a Master Chef, and used “product” that made my skin blemish free and smooth.

That last 5%? Yeah, I didn’t like that last 5% so much.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

natesnake on February 12, 2007 at 3:25 PM

There will be Toyotas in the field of this year’s Daytona. The end is near!

SailorDave on February 12, 2007 at 3:15 PM

Unfortunately, NASCAR isn’t too big on seeing how long an engine will last with the proper maintenance, so I don’t know if they’ll be a big hit.

James on February 12, 2007 at 3:30 PM

Here is the trial transcripts for Agent Juarez. In case anyone is interested.

Perchant on February 12, 2007 at 3:33 PM

Let CONDILICIOUS in there and show them a damn thing or two about being “offended”…

September 11th “offended” me……..

Anybody else “offended”…….

seejanemom on February 12, 2007 at 4:19 PM

Slublog on February 12, 2007 at 3:03 PM

Wrong. Again.

Andy in Agoura Hills on February 12, 2007 at 5:13 PM

I am offended by the perpetually offended!

brtex on February 12, 2007 at 5:22 PM

Slublog on February 12, 2007 at 3:03 PM

Oh, WND is unquestionably biased. They’re biased toward the US and toward the Bill of Rights.

PRCalDude on February 12, 2007 at 5:26 PM

AP the real question should be how many minutes till you run any of the multiple news stories on the border patrol agents that have come out in the last seven days.

10,080 minutes and counting and nothing but a swipe at Tancredo. All of the below came out last week and are supported by news articles, easily found on worldnetdaily.com and at other news sites.

P.S. I find it especially troubling that you have covered none of this because of your position on the agents and any person defending them/questioning the incident and your continual derision of Tancredo.

1. DHS admitted it lied to congress regarding facts/evidence they claimed they had, but did not
2. Border Patrol agent beaten in jail.
3. Border Agent Investigator had ties to Smuggler
4. Agents Did Report Shooting. ( + 7 other agents + 2 Supervisors were at the scene, received report per Border Patrol Policy and assisted with picking up the brass from shots fired.

America1st on February 12, 2007 at 5:54 PM

PRCalDude on February 12, 2007 at 5:26 PM

Exactly. And please cite the instances of WND’s inaccuracies. I must have missed the “Rathergate” at WND…

NTWR on February 12, 2007 at 5:56 PM

Slublog on February 12, 2007 at 3:03 PM

Okay, there’s no denying that WND takes the side of the U.S. and conservatives on issues, but slublog … do you have any examples of WND stories which proved to be “inaccurate” or false? And which sources currently supporting Johnny Sutton’s story have proved to be “unbiased” or traditionally “honest” or “accurate?”

Gregor on February 12, 2007 at 6:21 PM

Just out of curiousity …

How many HotAir readers whiners attended the Hollywood protest on Saturday. I know we have plenty of California readers on here. Show of hands keyboards?

Gregor on February 12, 2007 at 6:23 PM

I’m a victim. Where’s my entitlements?

That has nothing to do with this thread but I just thought I’d throw it in there for good measure.

I did live in Miami for 3 years. Cubans do not like Mexicans. Don’t confuse the two. They don’t like illegal Mexican aliens either.

armyvet on February 12, 2007 at 6:26 PM

2. Border Patrol agent beaten in jail.
3. Border Agent Investigator had ties to Smuggler

America1st on February 12, 2007 at 5:54 PM

and:

5. Border patrol agents fired after testimony changed (although that’s mentioned above).
6. Aldrete-Davila left cell phone in van.

thirteen28 on February 12, 2007 at 6:28 PM

Gregor on February 12, 2007 at 6:23 PM

Crap. I didn’t know about it.

PRCalDude on February 12, 2007 at 6:32 PM

No way I’d drive to Hollyweird to make a point that the local news wouldn’t cover, and risk a drive-by-shooting. I found no mention of the protest on any of the LA news channels or papers. The anti-illegal immigrant point of view is not consistent with Kalifornia’s pravda. Conservatives are not only muzzled, but closeted in this “open-minded” state. It’s amazing Duncan Hunter hasn’t been targeted by the “free-speech” ACLU for purging yet. One of these days the barbed wire will go up around the borders of Cali, to keep us IN.

NTWR on February 12, 2007 at 6:32 PM

I’d also like to know why the agents are in prison for trying to cover something up when the DHS tried to do the same exact thing they accused the agents of doing in this case.

thirteen28 on February 12, 2007 at 6:34 PM

NTWR on February 12, 2007 at 6:32 PM

While I agree with your frustration over the lack of media coverage, this excuse is a cop-out, and it’s views such as this that are actually partly to blame.

Conservatives have not given the media any real reason to cover events such as this. Drawing 500 – 1000 people is not exactly ‘newsworthy.’

Now if people such as yourself were to actually show up, and the rest of the ‘talk a good game’ conservative crowd were to do the same, suddenly Hollywood Blvd is flooded by 10,000 instead of 1000 and you would see the media forced to give coverage.

“I am only one. I can not do everything, but I can do something. And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do. What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of God, I will do.” — EDWARD EVERETT HALE

Stand up and do something!

Gregor on February 12, 2007 at 6:53 PM

Yup.

Slublog on February 12, 2007 at 2:43 PM

Weenies. At least have the decency to quote something macho, like the Princess Bride.

Jaibones on February 12, 2007 at 7:07 PM

Gregor on February 12, 2007 at 6:53 PM

And I agree it’s a cop-out. It’s easy to get beaten down in this state. That’s a great link. Now have you done your duty?

NTWR on February 12, 2007 at 7:21 PM

Tom, is that you? Who let you in? This blog is full.

Mark Jaquith on February 13, 2007 at 3:51 AM