Meet the press

posted at 11:10 pm on February 12, 2007 by Bryan

In two acts. First, take a look inside the sausage factory at the Washington Post:

One of our readers has now penetrated inside the Post through an email exchange with Jeff Smith, one of the Post reporters “credited” with the story. Smith is unhappy at being associated with the debacle. This is what Smith emailed to our reader:

I agree with you that this was an egregious error. I also had nothing to do with it. All I did was obtain a copy of the unclassified summary of the IG report and write a precisely correct account, which I turned over to the other reporters. I’m not happy my name was put on that story by the editors, and I was astonished by the mistake. I blew the whistle on it internally. So don’t attribute the mistake to me.

Cheers,

Jeff Smith

The word you’re looking for is “wow.”

Next up, CNN’s Jack Cafferty on the moral equivalence between US action in Afghanistan during the 1980s–when we were repelling Soviet aggression–and Iran in Iraq today.

Iran’s interest in arming the Iraqi militias is not about repelling totalitarian aggression, as was the US interest in Afghanistan. Iran’s interest in Iraq is itself the aggressive act of a totalitarian government against its neighbor and against us, the neighbor’s liberator. To date, Iranian action in Iraq may be responsible for the deaths of 170 coalition troops, most of those being US, and possibly thousands of Iraqis. 1980s Afghanistan and current Iraq are very different situations. That Jack Cafferty doesn’t know or understand this, and that Wolf Blitzer fails to challenge Cafferty or explain the facts to him, speaks volumes about how those two see and therefore report the world around them. They’re ignorant of history and clueless about the present. Other than that, they’re fine reporters.

(video h/t Pat Dollard)

Comments

Wolf questions the timing.

Mr. Cafferty is competing for the Olbermann standing in the News.

Entelechy on February 12, 2007 at 11:17 PM

Ahhh… Jack Cafferty.

Posterboy for why people should not automatically “Respect your elders.”

Indeed. The fact that Cafferty is a half-senile geezer who understands less about geopolitics then men a quarter his age, garners no respect from me. He reminds me of the guy from the “CIA’s Canada Department” in the John Candy movie: Canadian Bacon.

Jones Zemkophill on February 12, 2007 at 11:19 PM

And beyond that…self-preservation. Iran will thwart the spread of democracy at every turn. Democracy is, after all, the seed of their downfall. Surely the Mullah’s know the mood of the Iranian people today. Surely they’ve learned that the mood which brought them to power can certainly usher them out. As for Wolf, he refuses to acknowledge any “situation” that doesn’t cross his narrow field of vision.

thedecider on February 12, 2007 at 11:20 PM

Cafferty: “I’m confused, Wolf…”

Truer words were never spoken!

JetBoy on February 12, 2007 at 11:21 PM

Cafferty scrapes bottom and digs again. I’m astounded that this train wreck keeps crashing on CNN on a nightly basis. My guess is he’s on a six or seven year alcoholic blackout. That’s the best I can come up with.

jaleach on February 12, 2007 at 11:24 PM

-thedecider on February 12, 2007 at 11:20 PM

Michael Moore wrote the script for that movie, in case no one here knew that.

Typewriter King on February 12, 2007 at 11:25 PM

So again the question must be as Lynn Cheney asked.

Wolf, Jack, Do you want the U S to win ?

What a pair of “useful useless idiots”

Texyank on February 12, 2007 at 11:35 PM

Stephen Colbert was quoting the WaPo original article on February 12th —

After the correction and also after Jeff Smith’s reply.

Stephen Colbert is teh stoopid.

birkel on February 12, 2007 at 11:46 PM

And to think Libertarians wonder why I’m opposed to legalizing drugs.

GT on February 12, 2007 at 11:47 PM

Just to clarify, I’m talking about Wolfblitzed and Cafferty (an actor who plays the gruff no-nonsense reporter stereotype for all its worth).

GT on February 12, 2007 at 11:49 PM

The story on WaPo is absolutely stunning. We need to get more information from Jeff Smith. Sounds like he got blindsided by his own pals there and he wants to go public.

d1carter on February 13, 2007 at 12:00 AM

And to think Libertarians wonder why I’m opposed to legalizing drugs.

GT on February 12, 2007 at 11:47 PM

OY!

REAL Libertarians understand that illicit drugs do nothing but control and oppress your mind.

Stoners are fools and are mere sheep being herded by stoner peer pressure.

Jones Zemkophill on February 13, 2007 at 12:03 AM

Mr. Cafferty is competing for the Olbermann standing in the News.

Entelechy on February 12, 2007 at 11:17 PM

I don’t know about that. Olbermann does what he does with obvious intent – Cafferty is just plain stupid.

Rick on February 13, 2007 at 12:49 AM

What a pair of “useful useless idiots”
Texyank on February 12, 2007 at 11:35 PM

True, but it was, after all, an episode of “Meet the Oppressed”. Can you expect anything else?

thedecider on February 13, 2007 at 12:52 AM

If Cafferty were to be asked: “Do you want the USA to win,” he’d reply *NO*!

I followed to link to the “comment page” he mentioned. The leftists posting there are supporting Iran. Anybody surprised?

georgej on February 13, 2007 at 6:24 AM

Stoners are fools and are mere sheep being herded by stoner peer pressure.

Jones Zemkophill on February 13, 2007 at 12:03 AM

I agree with you about the fools and sheep. I’m a mod at a conservative site. You’d be amazed at how many self-professed “libertarians” believe all drugs should be legal” I have to deal with.

GT on February 13, 2007 at 7:32 AM

Didn’t Walter Pincus testify at the Libby trial yesterday? I wonder if Carl Levin prepared his testimony for him.

Buy Danish on February 13, 2007 at 8:02 AM

If you stand for nothing, you’ll fall for anything.

The MSM’s obsession with being neutural has caused them to take themselves too seriously. Their egos have overwhelmed their desire to be REAL reporters.

csdeven on February 13, 2007 at 8:21 AM

Who can be expected to keep track of historical facts when there are great dinner parties to attend.

benrand on February 13, 2007 at 8:29 AM

Cafferty is a Andy Rooney wannabe with dain bramage. America hating hack.

roninacreage on February 13, 2007 at 9:06 AM

Cafferty used to be a pretty good new sanchor (local NBC station in NY). Who knew he was demented?

Hilts on February 13, 2007 at 10:09 AM

I’m not sure if “ignorance was bliss” for me when I didn’t realize what a complete numbskull Cafferty is from these clips recently posted on Hot Air.

Why is this man on the airwaves?

asc85 on February 13, 2007 at 10:56 AM

They’re ignorant of history and clueless about the present.

Other than that, they’re fine reporters.

Cafferty: “I’m confused, Wolf…”

Truer words were never spoken!

JetBoy on February 12, 2007 at 11:21 PM

Well, he did say that. Which is why I get my information elsewhere. Nice to see such honesty at CNN.

Kini on February 13, 2007 at 11:24 AM

TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 115 > § 2387
§ 2387. Activities affecting armed forces generally
(a) Whoever, with intent to interfere with, impair, or influence the loyalty, morale, or discipline of the military or naval forces of the United States:
(1) advises, counsels, urges, or in any manner causes or attempts to cause insubordination, disloyalty, mutiny, or refusal of duty by any member of the military or naval forces of the United States; or

(2) distributes or attempts to distribute any written or printed matter which advises, counsels, or urges insubordination, disloyalty, mutiny, or refusal of duty by any member of the military or naval forces of the United States—
Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both, and shall be ineligible for employment by the United States or any department or agency thereof, for the five years next following his conviction.

This is current. This is the law. When the h*ll is the DOJ going to start prosecuting these enemies of our state?

JustTruth101 on February 13, 2007 at 2:22 PM