Video: Obama’s wife plays race card on ’60 Minutes’

posted at 11:14 pm on February 11, 2007 by Ian

Chicago Tribune:

The heavy presence of security around Obama was also a silent reminder of the change that took place with the announcement. Michelle Obama, the candidate’s wife, acknowledged it in an interview to air on CBS’ “60 Minutes,” in which she was asked if she fears for her husband’s life as a black candidate.

“I don’t lose sleep over it because the realities are that . . . as a black man . . . Barack can get shot going to the gas station,” Michelle Obama said in the interview, set to air Sunday night. “You can’t make decisions based on fear and the possibility of what might happen.”

Well, I’m sure glad I’m white because that means I won’t be shot while “going to the gas station.” I forgot about that unwritten rule where only black men can be shot and no one else.

(h/t Randy)

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Jaibones on February 12, 2007 at 9:40 AM

Truly you are the future of society. Keep the intelligent debate coming!

SouthernDem on February 12, 2007 at 10:12 AM

Doesn’t sound all that inclusive to me.

IrishEi on February 12, 2007 at 8:22 AM

Or anyone else without rose colored glasses.

brtex on February 12, 2007 at 10:13 AM

I think every discriminative “Black” is racist. It separates us and divides our country along racial lines.

IrishEi on February 12, 2007 at 9:29 AM

One day I will agree with you. Right now I think using the word “black” for issues that mostly affect blacks is essential.

IE: Issues related to single parent homes are huge problems in the black community and I think need to be identified as such.

Other issues would be black on black crime, drugs, etc.

HOPEFULLY, one day, as MLK hoped, we will judge people by their character, not their color. I realize that my opinion is counter-productive on that point, but the Bill Cosby’s of the world are few and far between and right now, resposible attitudes towards the afore mentioned issues are characterized as “white” and are not going to work for blacks.

Black activists are trying to re-invent the “wheel” because they think skin color has a bearing on it’s proper function. I think letting them have their way and letting it blow up in their faces is the best way to educate them.

csdeven on February 12, 2007 at 10:13 AM

She should have left out the ‘as a black man’ part. Without that part of the comment, her statement was valid.

There is nothing inherently black about danger at the gas station.

Seems like someone was eager to use “as a black man” in their interview….

unamused on February 12, 2007 at 10:18 AM

SouthernDem on February 12, 2007 at 9:26 AM

Gladly, for decades most major cities, and certainly all inner city (read black districts) school districts and politics have been run by democrats. The schools have short changed the minorities (read black) in a way that could only be called irresponsible. They have had over 40 years to educate a population that needs education every bit as much as anyone else, and they have allowed the deprive blacks of an education. Meanwhile their budgets have grown, and the cost per student have reached an all time hight, as much as $12,000 per student…while still achieving almost no increase in academic scores. They (liberals) know that the biggest threat to their black voting block is education. With solid jobs, “non dependency” on the government welfare programs, the blacks will begin to realize that the American dream is not what the government gives you, but what you earn. The largest conservative voting block of blacks is college educated, and a black college educated married couple has a higher average income than a white college educated married couple. The liberals cannot afford to educate minorties, they will lose their 95%+ voting block. Devastating to their survival as a political party.
Hence, if you keep them uneducated you can keep them on the plantation. Nothing is more dangerous than an educated black man to the liberals. Unless he is the house “****”.

right2bright on February 12, 2007 at 10:19 AM

That picture of Mrs. Obama is begging for a caption. Just begging.

bloggless on February 12, 2007 at 9:58 AM

Michelle Obama…”See…when I purse my lips like this (purse) it’s make Baracks ears look even BIGGER!”

csdeven on February 12, 2007 at 10:20 AM

“This fool next to me is gonna be President”

bloggless on February 12, 2007 at 10:23 AM

Wade on February 12, 2007 at 9:05 AM

A great quote from a great intellect. One of the most hated men by the black liberals, shunned by the black leades. He is a perfect example of my point, educated men (and sometimes women…just a joke) make better citizens.

right2bright on February 12, 2007 at 10:31 AM

right2bright on February 12, 2007 at 10:19 AM

Thank you for the explanation. I agree that the welfare state is reprehensible and does nothing but enable more degradation of the poor and disenfranchised. I also agree that Democrats have turned a blind eye to the vicious cycle this enables but I believe that’s true of everyone. It’s easy to ignore what you don’t face yourself. I do not, however, agree that this is an intentional conspiracy to garner votes. I see the logic that removal of said entitlements would disenfranchise the black voter and thus, no one does anything about it. So what is the solution? How can we change this system without a resulting chaos from the inner cities?

SouthernDem on February 12, 2007 at 10:33 AM

It sure would be nice to get a “minority” candidate that wasn’t a caricature. Oh, how I wish for the days when we truly judge a man by his character and not the color of his skin.

I was standing in front of my classroom the other day and realized that there were only THREE white kids in it. Three–out of 30-some-odd. And I hadn’t even noticed until then.

My Mom and Dad must have done something right with me.

Bob's Kid on February 12, 2007 at 10:45 AM

I understand Debbie’s point, but I think we’re giving Mrs. Obama too much credit. She was making one of those ‘well, everybody knows that’ type statements; black people get shot going to the gas station; white women should stay out of certain parts of town, ect. Insert racial stereotype here. One can only hope she did cost him a lot of votes with that asinine statement; we don’t need another lightweight candidate dragging a loudmouth spouse around.

Back to HBO and the episodes of “ROME”….

Thirteen!!! Thirteen!!! Really great show. That arena scene from the first season almost brought tears to my eyes…

austinnelly on February 12, 2007 at 10:46 AM

right2bright on February 12, 2007 at 10:19 AM

Outstanding post.

It’s the ironic reality: truly “enfranchised” groups, including minorities, don’t vote liberal. Democrats have a vested interest in making sure Blacks at least perceive themselves as being externally oppressed.

Wave a magic wand and give minorities all the options and opportunities that liberals pretend they want to give them – and the Democrat party vanishes in a heart beat.

Which, of course, is why successful Blacks are so frequently tarred with racish “Uncle Tom” and “Oreo” type comments. According to the strange liberal paradigm, if a Black person decides to embrace success, to work hard within society – rather than collect a welfare check and “speak truth to power” – then they’re a sellout somehow.

Strange, ain’t it? Conservatives honestly want Blacks to succeed; liberals see that success as a threat.

Which party is racist again?

Professor Blather on February 12, 2007 at 10:46 AM

And this from our next First Racist Lady

And does anyone think Obama pumps his own gas? I don’t think so….

Of course as an ‘ex-muslim’ who ‘left’ Islam he can be legally killed in a number of Islamic nations around the world.

CrazyFool on February 12, 2007 at 10:47 AM

right2bright on February 12, 2007 at 10:31 AM

Dr Sowell along with his friend Dr. Walter Williams are two of the top economists on the country as well as conservative gentlemen.

On a sidebar, they are also black.

Wade on February 12, 2007 at 11:17 AM

Could you elaborate on this point please? Is this a statement on welfare?

SouthernDem on February 12, 2007 at 9:26 AM

Simply stated: Entitlements are just another form of slavery, trading one Master for another.

franksalterego on February 12, 2007 at 11:30 AM

franksalterego on February 12, 2007 at 11:30 AM

Wow. Nicely put.

I’m stealing that. Plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery.

Professor Blather on February 12, 2007 at 11:31 AM

Pilots are not only indignant, they are weeping.

Liberals slogan: Keep them stupid, keep them on the plantation.

right2bright on February 12, 2007 at 9:11 AM

Morgan Freeman:

Freeman has come out publicly against the celebration of Black History Month and does not participate in any related events, saying that “I don’t want a black history month. Black history is American history.” He says the only way to end racism is to stop talking about it, and he notes that there is no “white history month.” Freeman once said on an interview with 60 Minutes’ Mike Wallace: “I am going to stop calling you a white man and I’m going to ask you to stop calling me a black man.”

That picture of Mrs. Obama is begging for a caption. Just begging.

bloggless on February 12, 2007 at 9:58 AM

Caption – Mother knows best!

Entelechy on February 12, 2007 at 12:37 PM

That isn’t the race card, that is the truth. Blacks kill blacks, it’s indisputable.

Hey, at least she didn’t say that Obama could be hung from a tree by a bunch of guys in white sheets….

I guess that is how they measure racial progress when it no longer is white on black crime, but black on black crime….

Tim Burton on February 12, 2007 at 12:47 PM

Well, Ian, she’s not so far off the mark. As a Black man going to a gas-station in Detroit, Obama could certainly get shot, kidnapped, or even beaten to death with in front of his kids at a gas station–all based on race. All of these things have happened to Blacks perpetrated by MUSLIMS at gas stations around Detroit, as I’ve written here and here. One Black man was beaten to death by a tire iron in front of his 12 year old daughter by two Muslims from Yemen at a Detroit gas station. And even though he has Muslim heritage, Obama would not be an exception at one of these “establishments.”

Debbie Schlussel on February 11, 2007 at 11:22 PM

I just thought I’d add that “black” and “slave” are synonymous in Islam.

PRCalDude on February 12, 2007 at 12:47 PM

Yes he may and statistically it would probably be by another black man.

Hear, hear… She failed to mention that part. Also, she comes off as some militant black woman that would never miss an opportunity to slam the US. The Dems are so shallow. Why are they even entertaining this guy?

x95b10 on February 12, 2007 at 12:54 PM

Memo to expectant parents: If your last name starts with ‘O’, you will improve your child’s chance of becoming President, if you give him a first name starting with something other than ‘B’.

Kralizec on February 12, 2007 at 1:16 AM

At least they didn’t name him Earl.

James on February 12, 2007 at 1:00 PM

She has nothing to worry about. He’s bulletproof and invisible.

daveintexas on February 12, 2007 at 2:12 PM

Wade on February 12, 2007 at 11:17 AM

I don’t think Thomas Sowell thinks of himself as an economist, he is literally paid to think and pontificate. His writtings will go down in history as being on of Americas great philosophers.

right2bright on February 12, 2007 at 3:17 PM

Addressed to me:

Those examples are pointless examples that you know about simply because they were in the news… Do I need to go to my local police department here in low crime whitey Vermont and dig out a list of random white people who’ve been shot at random places? Your logic on this is WAY off.

RightWinged on February 12, 2007 at 6:46 AM

You know, RightWinged it would facilitate communication if you would read an entire comment BEFORE responding. I said that the examples were anecdotal. And who/what is this “whitey” that you speak of?

baldilocks on February 12, 2007 at 3:30 PM

By the way, RightWinged, I’m not a guy.

baldilocks on February 12, 2007 at 3:32 PM

Morgan Freeman:

My God, I am in love. I have always admired him, but now, I am in love!

Glynn on February 12, 2007 at 3:34 PM

SouthernDem on February 12, 2007 at 10:33 AM

Not going to let you get off that easy.
First, I do agree the welfare state is terrible, but that is not the cause of poor education. It is democrats who have held the reins of power in the “impact” school districts (for over 40 years, 3 generations of school students). The conservatives have wanted to gain control for many years. Where there is school choice, something the democrats hate, minority students have done better. Where schools that have instituted severe restrictions on personal actions, appearance, etc. have improved dramatically test scores…something the liberals are adamant against. They (liberals) fought tooth and nail against english only instruction for hispanics, when they lost the battle, they were shown in a few short years the incredible dramatic improvement in hispanic aptitude scores. But still the liberals are fighting to demolish even those successful efforts. When you say everyone, please be honest and say every liberal…conservatives know that a well educated society is to our benefit. We have pushed for these changes, and have gained little ground from the liberals. What we have gained is proof enough that democrats have a continuing losing solution (40 years), the conservatives have a winning solution. To be a liberal, means to keep the minorities oppressed and ignorant. The Asian minorities excell in school, and they are overwhelming conservative. That is sign enough for the liberals to sell the blacks down the drain of ignorance.
The change will come, when the black communitiy realizes that the democrats consider them a voting machine and they are worth nothing more. The Democrats, home of the KKK, are still nothing more than racists with a smile and a hug for the blacks…and give them a little food.
Just a little stat: Under Reagan (hated by black leadership and educators) the black community had the largest growth of independent businesses in the history of the U.S. They had the largest economic growth under Reagan. Find that in a text book.
If that had continued, the democratic party would have self destructed.
If you belong to the Democrat party, you are supporting racism.

right2bright on February 12, 2007 at 3:41 PM

More to RightWinged(I was going to address this later, but this needed a response now): Again, I’m not trying to insult you, but your description of a “middle class” neighborhood, sounds to me like the “old” and rundown neighborhood that every city has. It’s not necessarily ghetto, but it’s where the ghetto will eventually spread, and all the middle class folks have left it and it’s the forgotten part of town.

It may sound like it to you but it’s not the case. My immediately previous domicile was in the type of neighborhood that you mentioned above, so I know the difference.

The house I live in now has been in my family for forty years and it has been ever the same during that time period: middle-class and composed of the same sort. The weird thing about the area is this: a main drag is some two blocks from my present house and when one crosses it, it’s like stepping into a different (Third) world. And it has been that way for has long as I can remember (I’m forty-five.)

I have another starker example of this phenomenon (nice middle class to upper class areas buttressed against crime-infested areas) that I will probable write about later. Gotta do some real work!

baldilocks on February 12, 2007 at 3:52 PM

right2bright on February 12, 2007 at 3:41 PM

Where there is school choice

What exactly does that mean? Are you talking about vouchers?

The Asian minorities excell in school, and they are overwhelming conservative.

Could you provide a link to this data please? Or just an idea where I could look it up myself?

On top of that, you have basically called around half the population active, conscious racists. Including the 95% of blacks that are Dems. Does this really jive with you? And just for the record, I’m with Bill Cosby when it comes to personal accountability. To blame the failings of inner city education exclusively on Democrats is simplistic and intellectually dishonest.
But I appreciate your candor.

SouthernDem on February 12, 2007 at 4:29 PM

SouthernDem on February 12, 2007 at 4:29 PM

I will dig up the links. But quite frankly when I have done that in the past, the person answering usually fades away till another post. In other words, if I do give you these links and they support what I say, how will that effect you. I don’t like wasting time.

Right on calling 1/2 racists, at least they are supporting a party of racists. If you think I am simplistic or dishonest, answer this (a statement you keep dodging); Who has been responsible and in control of the school system in every major school system in America? (hint: it isn’t a cross section of political beliefs). If you failed at something for over 40 years, would you expect to be excused? Think about it…40 years, 40 years at least.

right2bright on February 12, 2007 at 4:40 PM

SouthernDem on February 12, 2007 at 4:29 PM

From the end of 1982 to 1989, black unemployment dropped 9 percentage points (from 20.4 percent to 11.4 percent), while white unemployment dropped by only 4 percentage points. Black household income went up 84 percent from 1980 to 1990, versus a white household income increase of 68 percent. The number of black-owned businesses increased from 308,000 in 1982 to 424,000 in 1987, a 38 percent rise versus a 14 percent increase in the total number of firms in the United States. Receipts by black-owned firms more than doubled, from $9.6 billion to $19.8 billion.

If you like these figures, than you are Republican material, if you denounce these…then you are Democrat material. The one thing liberals hate is facts. I can back these up, can you back up stats that show different?

right2bright on February 12, 2007 at 4:54 PM

right2bright on February 12, 2007 at 4:40 PM

I’m not here for laughs! Really, I enjoy the dialogue (ask my brother, he’s a diehard super right Republican. And we get along great). I partially want the proof of the pudding, as it were, but I’m here for some book learnin’ too.

I haven’t dodged, but as far as your criteria for every major school system, that’s a wide net you cast. I think there are too many factors to cast blame simply on the
politicians when personal accountability is so overlooked these days. The idea here is that parents fail in educating their children more than the school system does. But that’s a totally different discussion, no?

BTW, I didn’t imply you were dishonest but to blame the failings of inner city education exclusively on Democrats is intellectually dishonest.
Oh, yeah, I don’t like wasting time either. At least we agree on something.

SouthernDem on February 12, 2007 at 4:57 PM

She does look very clean as well as bigotted.

gary on February 12, 2007 at 5:00 PM

SouthernDem on February 12, 2007 at 4:57 PM

I will try once more, before wrapping this up. You don’t like answering questions do you?

In the past 40+ years, what political party has been in control of every major inner city school district?

This party has had exclusive rights to majority votes, and budget. There maybe other minor factors (and I don’t blame you for trying to bring them in), but there is one consistent factor.

The liberal party does not want the home to be the basis of education. That is what the Teachers Assoc. constantly fights. They hate home schooling (although it provides more money for them), they hate the fact that home schooling out performs government schools. They do not believe schooling begins at home.

Bonus Question: What political party is active and controls the Teachers Unions?

right2bright on February 12, 2007 at 5:16 PM

Morgan Freeman:

This what they do in some schools in NC. They constantly remind the kids that slavery really isn’t over. I see plenty of black folks who are accomplished and successful, but the modern day emphasis seems to focus on those who are not successful.

bloggless on February 12, 2007 at 5:18 PM

You don’t like answering questions do you?

I’m not dodging, for crying out loud. Look, you have basically said that all Dems support or are racists. This is pretty much the only point I have called you on. Everything else has been discussion, not argument (at least as far as I’m concerned).I have agreed with you on some points but disagree with your blanket blame of one political party for the failings of every minority dominated school system in America. I came with an open mind and it remains so. I appreciate the dialogue and have avoided being combative despite your apparent total disgust of all things Democratic. As far as not answering questions, I have yet to see one solution to what we’re discussing, aside from discipline, appearance,English only and “school choice”, which you have yet to define. All of which sound fine to me, but they hardly fix everything.

By the way, one Larry Elders quote doesn’t exactly prove your entire point.

SouthernDem on February 12, 2007 at 5:36 PM

Check Dr Sowell’s Books here. I do think he is about Economics.

Wade on February 12, 2007 at 5:42 PM

shot going to a gas station?? in Kenwood Il??

heck — gas station jn Kenwood?!?

Claire on February 12, 2007 at 6:11 PM

SouthernDem on February 12, 2007 at 5:36 PM

Don’t get testy. Before you fix a problem you have to identify the cause. You apparently do not believe that the democrats are in control of the school districts and have been for 40 years.
If you can not accept that fact, argument is over. There is no solution, it would involve changing who is and has been making the decisions.

You throwing out insults about me of having “disgust” towards anything Democrat is a typical way of getting out of an argument.

If you think Larry Elder’s figures are incorrect, challenge them. He has been stating these for years, they have never been refuted. If you think he would be allowed to say these things for many years without a challenge you are living in a vaccuum.

You also missed out on the bonus question. The answer is Democrats.

Summarize: I have asked who is making policy decisions regarding inner city schools for decades.
Your answer: No answer

I have given you figures regarding Reagan, your answer: A quote from Elder doesn’t prove my point, but no figures from you to denounce quote.

I attacked the shcool system.
Your answer; I am disgusted with all things democrat.

You say I have no answers.
Your answer; you list three.

School choice can include vouchers, but it is school choice. Read up on it, I can’t spend my whole day educating you any more. Besides you can’t even absorb the one indisputable fact that I have presented. Who is in and has been in charge of the major school districts. That one really gets you because you know the answer, and you don’t like it. Support the present system and I claim you are a racist…you do not want minorities to be properly educated. It sounds harsh, but you see I have 40 years of stats to back me up, you have a feeling that I am wrong.
Your poor brother, he must feed you facts and you put up the indefensible argurment: You hate democrats, you never have a solution, it is every ones fault, it starts at the home (then you support government programs to minimize the home). I have news for you, if the Republicans were in charge of schooling for 40+ years and there report card was what it is now, I would be saying the same thing…get them out and get the kids schooled.

Bonus questions: What programs for schooling has Bond, Jackson, Mobley, or any other “black leader” presented in the past ten years? That has been a success.

Good night and tomorrow start a neighborhood reading program for low income children…use your children as mentors, I did and it works.

right2bright on February 12, 2007 at 6:18 PM

Wade on February 12, 2007 at 5:42 PM

Yes you are correct, that is is occupation at (actually, for, he seldom is there) Stanford, what I am saying is he is much more than an economist. And he defines himself,now, as much more than just an economist.

right2bright on February 12, 2007 at 6:21 PM

Final word from me on this issue.
I apologize if I’ve been obtuse. In all honesty, I’m trying to see your point of view. I have no interest in you educating me. I have not gotten out of a single argument here and have acknowledged the truth of what you say.
Goodnight

SouthernDem on February 12, 2007 at 6:29 PM

SouthernDem on February 12, 2007 at 6:29 PM

Thanks, I was just hoping you would have answered some of the questions. I had some great prizes as giveaways.
I figured, as I stated in one of my posts about giving a liberal facts,

if I do give you these links and they support what I say, how will that effect you?

, that any argument or facts would be ignored.
You never refuted anything I said with facts, I am assuming you totally agree, but really can’t because is would mean turning your beliefs upside down. You have too much invested emotionally.

right2bright on February 13, 2007 at 9:23 AM