U.S. rolling up Al Qaeda in Iraq?

posted at 8:00 pm on February 8, 2007 by Allahpundit

The good doctor presents a compelling case. Read it all if you haven’t already. It makes sense, too, that the surge would start with AQ, the one player in the country whom neither side has much use for. If we take out al-Masri, it’ll give us a little goodwill to spend on going after the sect leaders. Not that we’re waiting.

Meanwhile, the LA Times has the latest on the growing unhappiness with Ahmadinejad in Iran. Money grafs:

Analysts here say it is significant that Khamenei, who has been a strong supporter of the nuclear program, has not silenced Ahmadinejad’s critics.

Indeed, Jamhouri Eslami, a newspaper once owned by Khamenei that often reflects his views, has voiced its own criticism of the president.

“Turning the nuclear issue into a propaganda slogan gives the impression that you, for the sake of covering up flaws in the government, are exaggerating its importance. This is harmful for you and your government,” the paper said in an editorial last month.

It remains unknown whether Khamenei will try to rein in public dissent.

Obviously Khamenei would want to distance himself if Ahmadinejad really is that unpopular. But how about this theory — that by allowing criticism of Ahmadinejad, Khamenei’s trying to make the regime look weak in order to discourage an attack on the country for the reasons I explained here? Too clever by half? Maybe, but not even western intel seems to know what’s going on in Iran. Why should I?

I’ll say this for Khamenei. For a guy who’s supposedly uncomfortable with “Mahdi’s” bellicosity, he sure does sound a lot like him.

Comments

Someone give me a scenario that doesn’t involve taking out the mullahs………

/crickets

HerrMorgenholz on February 8, 2007 at 8:07 PM

Further linking through LGF takes you to the NY Sun article which is frighteningly vivid in its detail of Al Qaeda’s actions in Iraq, and their ambitions to get nuclear weapons from North Korea. A great point is also made about the MSM hiding behind word-smithed nuances of “fighting insurgents”, or “fighting Al Qaeda”. Which one raises the more haunting spectre in your mind? No wonder they don’t want to talk about it.

thedecider on February 8, 2007 at 8:25 PM

Someone give me a scenario that doesn’t involve taking out the mullahs………

/crickets

HerrMorgenholz on February 8, 2007 at 8:07 PM

This is an important statement. Because that is what solving the middle-east will come too. Now or later. Later costs lives.

Griz on February 8, 2007 at 8:36 PM

Come get some, jihadi poseur assclowns.

Enrique on February 8, 2007 at 8:59 PM

U.S. rolling up Al Qaeda in Iraq?

Must be the new spam bullets.

billy on February 8, 2007 at 9:10 PM

I’m trying not to get my hopes up, but our mind games are really starting to make Iranians squirm.

Max Power on February 8, 2007 at 9:24 PM

Good news! Thoughtful, methodical, surgical precision; if we do one bad guy at a time, the job will get done.

Zorro on February 8, 2007 at 9:27 PM

(Images/Video) »
February 08, 2007

Al Qaeda in Iraq Crumbling: al Masri on the run
Coalition forces in Iraq have delivered a series of stunning blows to al Qaeda in Iraq in the last 48 hours.

This is great news, but the sad thing is liberals don’t even care. It actually is bad news to them, which is why they bother reporting it.

I thought Debbie Schlussel’s comments in the topic below were really enlightening. The secular atheists and liberals are philosophically almost jihadi Muslim in terms of their attitude towards Western civilization.

So it is not surprising that liberals, like Al Jazeera, would not care to report success against Al Qaeda in Iraq or anywhere else. They feel, like their terrorist allies, more comfortable troubling Americans with death counts of American troops.

I totally agree with Debbie Schlussel: These liberals and atheists would be the first to convert to Islam. It is their new favorite religion.

januarius on February 8, 2007 at 9:28 PM

Whoops- . . .which is why they don’t bother reporting it.

januarius on February 8, 2007 at 9:29 PM

I dunno. Dinnerjacket was in the Revolutionary Guard(not the Army) and the guard along with SAVAMA is the pocket of of Khamenei. Looks more like Khamenei using Dinnerjacket as a smoke screen. Even if Dinnerjacket gets canned I doubt it will stop one centrifuge from spinning.

Limerick on February 8, 2007 at 9:30 PM

I support the surge, I support the troops and I support the war.

Take that, Pelosi & Friends!

fogw on February 8, 2007 at 9:33 PM

Fear the Unibrow~~~!

Mazztek on February 8, 2007 at 9:37 PM

I support the surge, I support the troops and I support the war.

Take that, Pelosi & Friends!

fogw on February 8, 2007 at 9:33 PM

Ditto, Foggy!

Ya know, the enemedia is gonna find itself in a very awkward position when word leaks out we’re actually winning this friggin’ war.

techno_barbarian on February 8, 2007 at 9:37 PM

Time to review, here’s Pelosi & Friends position(s)on Iraq:

They do not support the surge.
They do support the commanders heading up the surge.
They support a non-binding resolution condemning the surge.
They used to support the war.
They do not support the war anymore.
They do support our troops.
They condemn the actions of our troops at Abu Guraib & Gitmo.
They have no intention of defunding the war.
They are in favor of defunding the war, if the surge they don’t support fails.
They are in favor of defunding the war, if the surge they don’t support succeeds.
They are in favor of defunding the war, even though defunding would harm the troops they support.

I need an extra-strength Excedrin now.

fogw on February 8, 2007 at 10:06 PM

Someone give me a scenario that doesn’t involve taking out the mullahs…

Here’s one. Christopher Hitchens on Hugh Hewitt tuesday night said that a huge earthquake is expected in Iran in the next couple years. A large fault-line under Iran, seismologists claim, is overdue for the big one. Underground nuclear facilities could be destroyed and none of the above ground construction is up to code. This could be the push that could topple the revolutionary government in the aftermath. I know – wishful thinking. Just a scenario. Far fetched? Look what happened in Pakistan. They might question what would cause such an act of Allah God.

Buck Turgidson on February 8, 2007 at 10:16 PM

While we bicker, they keep working, despite a cowardly MSM, they keep achieving and despite that part of their own government having made a concerted effort to undermine their progress, they move ahead nonetheless and to their great credit.
Go get’m, you’ve got my support.

Speakup on February 8, 2007 at 10:29 PM

Speakup, great way to put it.
They’ve got my support too.
I would love to see the liberal jaws snapping shut when they discover this report.

MITX on February 8, 2007 at 10:58 PM

You’re not going to see it, unfortunately. In the rare event that kind of info slips past the MSM gatekeepers, it is buried 19 paragraphs down, after as much bad news as can be found, twisted, or invented out of whole cloth. So no one discovers it except people like us, who are actively looking.

And when you show it to a liberal, they say it’s either a)yet another lie from Booosh! or b)meaningless in the overall picture of our catastrophic loss in Iraq.

We’ve lost the propaganda war.

Laura on February 8, 2007 at 11:10 PM

So why isn’t the Times writing that? I think the answer has something to do with what seems, to my eyes, to be a determined campaign to keep the American people from knowing the nature of the enemy in Iraq because identifying this enemy as Al Qaeda casts the debate about the war in a whole different light.

Too bad American soldiers are dying because of this……… wait, “aide and comfort to our enemies”, doesn’t that constitute an infraction?

PinkyBigglesworth on February 9, 2007 at 12:12 AM

The traitor media has no interest in this story. They want AL Qaeda to win.

georgej on February 9, 2007 at 1:50 AM

I support the surge, I support the troops and I support the war.

Take that, Pelosi & Friends!

fogw on February 8, 2007 at 9:33 PM

Well said. And I’d like to add that I support the Commander-in-Chief and the United States of America, so that’s two more reasons for the traitor class to hate my guts.

ReubenJCogburn on February 9, 2007 at 3:44 AM

See what happens when we let our guys do their job? Truth is, they’ve BEEN gettin’ it done all along, but when we uncuff ‘em, they uh … um … whatta they do, Emeril? “They kick it up a notch! BAM!”

Tony737 on February 9, 2007 at 9:41 AM

Sorry, but countries don’t deter attacks by appearing weak, particularly in the middle-east.

NPP on February 9, 2007 at 9:44 AM

C’mon, people, there’s no time to cover news like this. We’ve got big stories out there like Tim Russert testifying in the Libby trial and Anna Nicole Smith dying. Priorities, people, priorities.

Dudley Smith on February 9, 2007 at 10:47 AM