Patriarchy thwarted! Edwards to retain Marcotte, McEwan

posted at 1:08 pm on February 8, 2007 by Allahpundit

He doesn’t explicitly say so, but if they’re on their way out, why bother with this?

Not since the Trump/Miss USA press conference have I felt so moved by redemption:

The tone and the sentiment of some of Amanda Marcotte’s and Melissa McEwan’s posts personally offended me. It’s not how I talk to people, and it’s not how I expect the people who work for me to talk to people. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but that kind of intolerant language will not be permitted from anyone on my campaign, whether it’s intended as satire, humor, or anything else. But I also believe in giving everyone a fair shake. I’ve talked to Amanda and Melissa; they have both assured me that it was never their intention to malign anyone’s faith, and I take them at their word.

It wasn’t their intention to malign anyone’s faith? By referring to religious conservatives as “godbags” and “Christofascists”? Quote:

Q: What if Mary had taken Plan B after the Lord filled her with his hot, white, sticky Holy Spirit?

A: You’d have to justify your misogyny with another ancient mythology.

Either he’s a gullible moron or he takes us for gullible morons. Bad news either way. Here’s the big finish:

We’re beginning a great debate about the future of our country, and we can’t let it be hijacked. It will take discipline, focus, and courage to build the America we believe in.

That’s vintage nutroots newspeak, on the same paranoid continuum as questioning the timing, and I’m sure it won’t be lost on his target audience. Their answer to every right-wing challenge, policy or otherwise, is to look for an ulterior motive that we’re allegedly attempting to distract them from. Opposing abortion isn’t “about” protecting innocents; it’s about “controlling women’s bodies.” Opposing affirmative action isn’t “about” fairness and meritocracy; it’s about reinstituting Jim Crow. The Iraq war isn’t “about” trying to reduce the incentives towards terrorism by introducing democracy; it’s about oil, Israel, Halliburton, colonialism, or any/all of the above. And criticizing Edwards’s bloggers isn’t “about” the fact that they’re offensive wretches whose brand of discourse has now been mainstreamed; it’s about conservatives trying to hijack the debate about which of the two Americas Lionel Hutz purchased to accommodate his palace.

Which isn’t to suggest he made the wrong move here. On the contrary, like I said last night:

[I]t’s possible that Edwards’s people brought Marcotte on because she’s so repulsive, because they knew she’d appeal to the cretins he’s trying to woo. In which case, they absolutely should stand by her. Keep her on and let Chris Bowers swear his oath of loyalty to the guy who had the foresight, the vision, to hire one of the nutroots’s Christian-hating finest.

He needs their imprimatur as the “true, pure” liberal in the race if he’s going to chase down Hillary and Obama. In fact, per Bowers’s dopey pledge to support him come what may so long as he keeps Marcotte on, I think he actually benefits from this fiasco ultimately. Now he can tack a little more to the right on foreign policy to appeal to the center, and if the nutroots grumbles, all he has to do is say, “Hey — the crazy cat lady’s still with the campaign, isn’t she?”

It’s a good move for another reason, too. Like the boss noted recently in a not-dissimilar context, sunshine is the best disinfectant. The best way to fight the nutroots is to raise their level of exposure. Edwards helped do that. Thanks, Silky Pony.

More (Bryan): If they truly never meant to malign anyone’s faith, as Edwards says, Marcotte and McEwan are two of the most incompetent writers on the planet. Or they lied to him and he bought it whole. Or as Allah says, he’s just taking us all for fools. That Edwards has apparently kept the two around, apparently out of fear that the IMPORTANT ACTION ALERT might be loosed upon him is…hilarious. The guy can’t face down a howling mob led by Vanuatu protege Chris Bowers, yet he wants us to think he’s strong enough to face down the mad mullahs and Kim Jong-Il. Riiiight. File this netroots victory under the heading “pyrrhic.”

Update: Goldstein echoes another point I made yesterday about Bowers’s pledge. The first priority for the fightin’ nutroots, even above ending the war, is cultivating their own power. And if they have to make ideological compromises to do that, hey:

[W]ere it really never Marcotte’s intent to malign anyone’s faith, she probably wouldn’t have dedicated so many hate-filled blog posts to, you know—maligning anyone’s faith.

Of course it was her intent. Just as it was McEwan’s intent. And worst of all, Edwards knows it. That he has pretended to take the two at their word, in an ostentatious gesture of “trust,” is precisley the kind of treacle that makes people doubt the sincerity of politicians; and that both Marcotte and McEwan have assured their own personal Patriarch that they’ll behave, now that he’s promoted them to the grownups’ table, is one of the most pathetic surrenderings of personal integrity I’ve ever seen.

Seriously. We should feel bad for them.

That is, were we to actually believe they meant any of it. Because how this plays out for the netroots is this way: either they are cheering on an ideological sellout, or they are knowingly and happily embracing an opportunistic liar. So. Congrats to them. Once again, they’ve covered themselves in white hot sticky glory!

Update: Wouldn’t you know it? Turns out she’s a satirist.

My writings on my personal blog Pandagon on the issue of religion are generally satirical in nature and always intended strictly as a criticism of public policies and politics. My intention is never to offend anyone for his or her personal beliefs, and I am sorry if anyone was personally offended by writings meant only as criticisms of public politics. Freedom of religion and freedom of expression are central rights, and the sum of my personal writings is a testament to this fact.

I.e., “sorry if you can’t deal, godbag.” Read it again and drink it in; it’s the equivalent of Misha getting hired on to some GOP campaign and immediately issuing a statement that he’s pro-Palestinian. Imagine the look on the face of our proud gyno-warrior as she had to type this transparent garbage out. Utterly, comically pathetic.

Update (Bryan): Edwards should fire the Blunder Twins and hire the AP’s Nedra Pickler. Because she can construct some beautiful spin. Important Action Alert: Go read that link.

Note the lack of specifity on the bloggers’ work. Note the ending, in which specificity on Bill Donahue’s past statments makes a nice, loud clang. That’s the work of a spin surgeon right there.

Update: Spruiell smells a flip flop.

Update: Another good one from the Malcontent, who in some circles is apparently not “authentically” gay because he finds Marcotte obnoxious: “[T]o a certain brand of blogger — and gay activist – ‘pro-gay’ and wildly liberal are automatically synonymous, despite any evidence to the contrary. The lesson to be learned: Even hate-spewing simpletons are to be defended, as long as their politics are far enough to the left.”

Comments

So much for Edwards’ “Sistah Souljah” opportunity …

Spurius Ligustinus on February 8, 2007 at 4:11 PM

It might create a sistah souljah opportunity for one of the other candidates though. Something to watch out for.

thirteen28 on February 8, 2007 at 4:25 PM

So much for Edwards’ “Sistah Souljah” opportunity …

Spurius Ligustinus on February 8, 2007 at 4:11 PM

On the contrary, I think Edward’s might be wisely saving this twisted twit to be the object of a future such moment, when people are paying much more attention.

Imagine it’s the middle of primary season and Marcotte spouts off with something truly stupid – as she eventually will – and it hits the mainstream press.

Then Edwards gets to have that perfect Clintonian moment: “Although I gave Ms. Marcotte a second chance after her early blogging comments came to light, her more recent comments are so completely at odds with the principles of civil discourse upon which my candidacy is based, so contrary to my belief that all Americans can discuss the issues in a civil and respectful manner, than I now must reluctantly terminate our professional relationship …”

Or something like that. Get rid of her now and he misses that chance, plus pisses off the anti-godbags. Keep her now, get the nutroots help in the primary … and toss her to the wolves late in primary season, grabbing a few moderate supporters in the process.

And of course at that point, the nutroots are a liability instead of an asset, anyway. Just ask Senator Lamont.

A perfect Sista Souljah moment.

As long as Marcotte goes along with the plan. And really – is there any possibility she won’t?

Professor Blather on February 8, 2007 at 4:25 PM

Sure, they didn’t mean to malign anyone’s faith. Yeah, and I look just like Cindy Crawford-which I don’t. I guess this can be good news in a way, but there are so many nutroots out there that I don’t know that anyone on their side cares.

Catie96706 on February 8, 2007 at 4:26 PM

Edwards is an idiot. These two wackjobs will be gone within a week. The vile things they have written on their blogs are not going away, and this issue will not die. It just shows what bad jusgement this guy has, that he is too stupid to immediately realize that. I predict that within one week these two sleazebags will “resign of their own accord for the good of the campaign.”

greggish on February 8, 2007 at 3:49 PM

Couldn’t have said it any better. Otherwise, Edwards hasn’t a shred of common sense. Although others have given their theories above, I see no upside to retaining these two evil women.

asc85 on February 8, 2007 at 4:28 PM

greggish on February 8, 2007 at 3:49 PM

asc85 on February 8, 2007 at 4:28 PM

Oops! I must have screwed up the quotes in my last post. And since you can’t make on-line edits, I’ll re-submit it and see if it works. If not, I’ll stop.

asc85 on February 8, 2007 at 4:30 PM

I’m Catholic….johnnie has totally offended me…who is john edwack anyway…???

areseaoh on February 8, 2007 at 4:47 PM

I wonder how many of the nutroots will see this as a green light by the establishment to get even viler and hysterical in their postings. I think they will be emboldened by it, which is all to the good for us.

Dudley Smith on February 8, 2007 at 4:48 PM

If I was Karl Rove I’d do something to cause Marcotte to lose it and write on the blog ;)

You mean, like breathe?

Quisp on February 8, 2007 at 5:03 PM

This was the smart move. Well, the smart move would be not hiring these hotheads in the first place. But now that they’re hired Edwards would only look weak and lacking in due diligence if he were to fire them for this.

And this is definitely good news for anyone opposed to John Edwards as President.

Mark Jaquith on February 8, 2007 at 5:36 PM

Michelle has the netroots on the run. Read her post and enjoy. And to the netroots from me… ha-ha. boink.

Griz on February 8, 2007 at 5:45 PM

Edwards has to be hoping and praying that these ladies keep their cool from here on out. It’s only a matter of time before one of them goes off on someone or something – they can’t help themselves. They feel justified in doing so. And for Edwards to try to keep them silent – well, they will soon see that as oppression (by a white, southern male, no less).

Rick on February 8, 2007 at 6:03 PM

Two Americas:

– This ugly and lavish digg and champagne-filled latrines with drunk rats celebrating (it’s still a latrine, remember)

– and the rest of America

In the long run, the rest of America will still be sober and outside of the latrine on election day.

This is also good for H. Clinton/Obama/Richardson.

Those who think this is coordinated with the Clinton camp, forget about it. He is in this for himself only. No more VP this time – it’s pres or bust. Me thinks it’s the latter. America is pretty naive but it isn’t indecent. This nutroot euphoria will be short-lived.

Entelechy on February 8, 2007 at 6:12 PM

The important thing is we CANNOT let this important debate be hijacked!

A couple of airliners every few years, OK.

saint kansas on February 8, 2007 at 6:23 PM

Setting aside her “maligning anyone’s faith”, given the rest of her “work”, does he really want her working for him? I think he (or his people) are hoping the worst of it won’t come out in the media… tidbits like this, that another commenter pointed out in an earlier thread. This is Marcotte responding (on Pandagon) to a Patterico comment (language warning):

I’m not an idiot. I’m a twat. Get it straight.

I’m a hot, moist, inviting twat. Warm, wet, inviting. But not to you or your friends. Even if I were single, these nubile thighs do not wrap around the hips of Republicans. You can fuck yourselves or the dry twats of the self-hating misogynists who will allow you tiny penis to penetrate them. Have fun! Um, the wounds you get from rubbing you un-lubricated dick repeatedly into your heartless, soulless woman–iodine is your best friend, my be-scarred friend.

RightWinged on February 8, 2007 at 6:55 PM

It’s a sad day when a past vice presidential candidate from one of the two major political parties, would employ such individuals on his staff knowing what they represent and the matter in which they represent it. It reminds one of the images projected of the Roman Empire as it descends into anarchy.

Ann Coulter is correct as they are the party of the Godless; May God have mercy on us.

MarkB on February 8, 2007 at 7:07 PM

RightWinged on February 8, 2007 at 6:55 PM

I think you missed the point she was making regarding ‘she owns it she decides who will call it use it, “twat” to her it’s not a put down’, but she did pretty much tell the guy off! Im only telling you because you might need some help understanding ‘these’ women….and that’s not intended or implied personally. Not that I am ‘these’ women, forget it….

mimi on February 8, 2007 at 7:38 PM

mimi on February 8, 2007 at 7:38 PM

mimi, I have no idea what you’re talking about… all I was pointing out was what a raving lunatic Marcotte is… we’ve seen it in plenty of HotAir’s coverage, but I feel that quote takes it to another level.

RightWinged on February 8, 2007 at 7:45 PM

mimi, I have no idea what you’re talking about…
RightWinged on February 8, 2007 at 7:45 PM
Yes I agree with you. A very poor attempt on MY part to make sense out of her point. For some women like myself when words like ‘twat’ are throw down to us we make up our minds to own so it wont HURT as much. That’s it..no offense like I said

mimi on February 8, 2007 at 7:57 PM

Yay! If Amanda Marcotte can make it, then my future in politics is virtually assured.

frankj on February 8, 2007 at 1:11 PM

Imao, this is proof of the opposite, Frank. You’re dead in the water. Not nearly unfair, or unbalanced enough, apparently because you’re unmedicated…

PS Who the hell is Chris Bowers?

Jaibones on February 8, 2007 at 8:00 PM

Republicans are the ones who kick people out for not living up to certain standards of behavior.

You’re joking right? I may be late to the party here, but I’m pretty sure that either side of the aisle turns a blind eye when it benefits them. Let’s not be too generous here.

Anyways, this is bad for Pretty Boy Edwards any way he plays it. Exploitable by the right for keeping them on, demonized by the left if he gets rid of em.
What will he do for money if he doesn’t get elected?

SouthernDem on February 8, 2007 at 8:09 PM

mimi on February 8, 2007 at 7:57 PM

Problem is, I believe it was the insane Ms. Marcotte who brought the T-word in to that discussion. Patterico called her an “idiot”, she responded by bringing up the T-word and going off the way she did. At least that’s what I gather.

RightWinged on February 8, 2007 at 8:27 PM

mimi on February 8, 2007 at 7:57 PM

RightWinged on February 8, 2007 at 8:27 PM

This is complete torture & humiliation-please I see my error and acccept my apology, white flag waving I surrender..

mimi on February 8, 2007 at 8:32 PM

Let them advertise.

Griz on February 8, 2007 at 8:37 PM

I remember when I was a wee tyke and I got caught with my hand in the cookie jar, and I had to explain to Mom that I was actually employing satire to mock the very concept of the sweet tooth. Unfortunately for me, she was smarter than the audience of Pandagon.

Jim Treacher on February 8, 2007 at 8:39 PM

You’re right RightWinged. That quote definitely takes it to a new level.

Griz on February 8, 2007 at 8:45 PM

There is a three way cage match going on over at JohnEdwards.com.

In this corner, the candidate, looking to beat his own record for tone deaf, shameless pandering.

In this corner, some skank from Austin that no one’s ever heard of, but who has successfully become the bitch du jour of the uberleft.

And in this corner, the moonbat commenters, who should need no introduction. Have you ever read a series of comments so utterly disconnected from reality?

Good luck to all three parties; this is a death match — three men enter, none leave.

Jaibones on February 8, 2007 at 8:46 PM

Don’t surrender mimi. I knew what you meant and it was an appropriate comment. I think most here get that.

“There are certain sects, which secretly form themselves in the learned world, as well as factions in the political; and though sometimes they come not to an open rupture, they give a different turn to the ways of thinking of those who have taken part on either side. The most remarkable of this kind are the sects, founded on the different sentiments with regard to the dignity of human nature; which is a point that seems to have divided philosophers and poets, as well as divines, from the beginning of the world to this day.”

Griz on February 8, 2007 at 8:52 PM

Mark Jaquith on February 8, 2007 at 5:36 PM

Uh…Mark? He is weak and lacking in due diligence…

Jaibones on February 8, 2007 at 8:53 PM

Hey, look, I agree that this is bad for Edwards. He may have won points with the nutroots, but the actual voting public will see this as more proof that he’s a liberal hack.

But here’s the gotcha: whatever’s bad for Edwards is good for Hillary.

I, for one, am glad I don’t live anywhere near a metropolitan center. No doubt the next ground zero is impending and will be on the head of whatever libtard gets voted in in ’08.

unamused on February 8, 2007 at 8:55 PM

By pandering to the nutroots like this in order to try to win the Democratic nomination, John Edwards has absolutely assured himself of losing in the general election if by some improbable chance he did win the Democratic nomination.

dawgyear on February 8, 2007 at 9:27 PM

Get a load of Chris Bowers latest: This Isn’t Over

Pam on February 8, 2007 at 11:31 PM

mimi on February 8, 2007 at 8:32 PM

Haha, you don’t have to “surrender”, I’m not attacking you… I just didn’t get what you were saying, and then your explanation left me more confused.

RightWinged on February 8, 2007 at 11:37 PM

Au contraire! This assures many months of comedy platinum. This would only be bad news if Edwards had any chance of getting elected, and this lessens his already slim chances of that happening. There’s also the added bonus of these “satirists” actually paying some taxes!

Kucinich just watched his entire base defect to Tort Boy, though. So it’s bad news for him, unless he dangles a shiny object in front of them or announces Kofi Annan as his running mate. Which, admittedly, is sort of the same thing.

Pablo on February 9, 2007 at 2:37 AM