IMPORTANT ACTION ALERT: Stop taking yourselves so seriously

posted at 9:25 pm on February 7, 2007 by Bryan

So our friends on the left are all atwitter tonight because of the apparent (and as of yet unconfirmed by the Edwards campaign) firing of official bloggers Amanda Marcotte and Melissa, er, I can’t remember her last name.

Over at MyDD this incident has been taken with the seriousness of a nuclear attack:

I have a pretty vicious rant and an important action alert lined up, but I am waiting to hear from the Edwards camp about the fate of Amanda Marcotte and Melissa McEwan before doing anything.

Two things spring to mind. First, if you think having both a “vicious rant” AND an “important action alert” teed up constitute words that should strike fear into a presidential candidate, you either have a very high opinion of yourself or a very low opinion of the candidate. Or both. Second, it’s hilarious. It just is, as written, hilarious. Unintentionally, of course.

Oh, and there’s her name. McEwan. Got it.

Over at Crooks & Liars, John Amato is promising that a Pandora’s Box has been opened. I suppose a line has also been crossed, a martini has been shaken and an i has been dotted. A cliche has certainly been loosed upon an unsuspecting world. And someone’s taking himself and this whole incident waaaay too seriously.

Again, hilarious.

Let’s review the facts. Marcotte and….McEwan, that’s it…have been blogging for umpteen years at a collection of lefty blogs. In those blog years, they have collectively tossed out umpteen billion profanities, f-bombs and assorted insults. They have smeared Catholics, Protestants and pretty much everyone else they disagree with. Marcotte in particular seems to have a deep-seated hatred for all things male and Southern (so she’d probably take a swing at me if we met just on general principle). I wonder if she realizes that John Edwards is both a) male and b) Southern. Anyway. The pair have behaved badly on the internet, which being viewable to lots of people, means they have behaved badly in public. They have, as Terry Moran pointed out, engaged in what amounts to hate speech. Often, repeatedly and with great zest.

I myself am not a fan of labeling stuff “hate speech,” I don’t like hate crime laws or anything else that makes thoughts crimes. It’s dangerous, and usually ends up aimed at people who are a) male b) Southern and c) not liberal. Meaning, people like me. I have enough trouble obeying speed limits; I don’t need a whole new set of crimes that some prosecutor can just decide to tack on for fun based on my demographics. But liberals love the whole hate crime thing though, which makes this whole situation hilariously ironic: Here are two copper plated liberals, getting hoisted on hate speech charges. And a cursory trip through their archives–er, unless they get airbrushed–shows that the charge is valid and will stick.

The Edwards campaign erred in hiring these two. In fact, at this stage for any politician to hire almost any high profile liberal blogger carries a certain risk and baggage. Hire Kos and you get the “screw them” baggage. Hire Jerome Armstrong and you get Vanuatu and his planetarily aligned stock recommendations, or whatever. Most of the big name lefty bloggers drop f-bombs the way most normal people breathe. Josh Marshall doesn’t, but his writing is so full of unjustified whispering and speculation that I sometimes come away from his posts expecting to find Agent Mulder looking over my shoulder. And when the guy doesn’t deliver the goods that he whispers so earnestly about, no one ever calls him on it. But he is at least a very polished writer whose vocabulary goes well past four-letter words.

The notion that most liberal bloggers a) want to feel like they can play in the big leagues with the likes of Edwards and Hillary! but b) actually hiring them is likely to hurt the candidates they support is probably feeding all the rage on their side right now. They’re all looking back at their own virtual paper trails and regretting this wild rant or that uncorked ragefest. Did I really smear every single Southerner who ever lived just to take a shot at BushCo? Why yes, yes I did. Several times last week and at least once a month since starting this blog. Plus, no one likes it when their side looks bad, and their side looks bad right now (though why it looks bad, most of them don’t seem to understand yet). Edwards looks like he made a bad call and can’t make the right call to fix the bad one. He’s got himself in a no-win situation–keep the bloggers and you’re keeping haters around who will lose you your own home state if you get that far; fire them and the netroots will smear you until the day you die.

Before the lefty bloggers get their IMPORTANT ACTION ALERTS and vicious rants all drafted and ready to fire, a little introspection might be in order. Why might keeping Marcotte and…McEwan around be a bad thing? Because they’re likely to write something embarassing at exactly the wrong time. Because they’re likely to smear voters rather than engage them. Because to most people sex isn’t used as a threat and the death of a Supreme Court Justice isn’t an occassion to shout, essentially, IT’S ALL ABOUT ME!!!! at the top of our lungs. Because the gratuitous use of profanity is not, to most people, the sign of a healthy mind. Because they’re just bad for business.

Those bloggers appear to readers and the outside world now getting a small taste of their writings very much like the character Michelle conjured up for the two Vents that are related to this story. If I had thought she was overacting, I would have said so, but after reading the posts I had to say that her portrayal is dead on.

Writing is a revelatory thing. Use of ALL CAPS is a shout; use of profanity to me reflects unseriousness and lack of a vocabulary (or at least a thesaurus) and a lack of manners. Using every single issue to smear and denigrate rather than persuade, enlighten, or heck, just entertain for a second, makes the writer look like a loon. Making every post somehow All About Me and My Proclivities That You Can’t Stop exhibits paranoia. It just does. And that’s why the two bloggers have become a liability.

On this side of the aisle, it’s just a hilarious situation to watch unfold. Everyone over there, threatening Edwards and threatening bloggers on the right and styling themselves as a bunch of internet Napoleons, just look like a collection of clowns falling all over themselves to be the next one to one-up the incandescent rage of the last one. Who can take themselves so seriously? Who can take them seriously anymore?

And in the midst of it, there’s John Edwards sitting in his ginormous house in the America where having a home the size of three football fields is normal, wondering what to do. Over a couple of bloggers, he has shoehorned himself into a no-win situation. Let’s make him Commander-in-Chief!

Update (AP): Be sure to see Ace’s last update here, in which Bowers basically pledges to make Amanda “Hot, white, sticky Holy Spirit” Marcotte’s employment his litmus test for the 2008 Democratic primary. God willing, his idea will catch on and nutroots morons around the ‘sphere will take the pledge themselves, thereby confirming that their passion for politics has less to do with policies than with exerting their own power. I agree with Glenn (and Conn Carroll) too — it’s possible that Edwards’s people brought Marcotte on because she’s so repulsive, because they knew she’d appeal to the cretins he’s trying to woo. In which case, they absolutely should stand by her. Keep her on and let Chris Bowers swear his oath of loyalty to the guy who had the foresight, the vision, to hire one of the nutroots’s Christian-hating finest.

Update (AP): Patterico unloads on discredited sock puppeteer Rick Ellensburg and says he thinks it’s still more likely than not that Edwards will fire Marcotte. I totally disagree. At this point, unless the Catholic League threatens some form of escalation, I’d say it’s a virtual certainty that they’ll keep her. She’s a cause celebre, notwithstanding the fact that her “cause” reeks, and he can’t afford to alienate her supporters unless a bigger group with even more money demands that he do so. Which is a long-winded way of saying that it’s basically up to Bill Donahue now.

Update (AP): Last thing. If you’ve never read Marcotte, this paragraph from Iowahawk’s parody isn’t much of an exaggeration. The only false note is the phrase “totally awesome,” which is more common to male stoners than to gender warriors:

I would like to express my heartfelt thanks for this totally f***ing awesome opportunity to help you take America back from f***ing BushCo and the other f***tard bible-humping extremists that have turned this once great nation into a goddamn rape factory for their snakehandling Jesus Camp hatebots.

Comments

I’m outraged!

Slublog on February 7, 2007 at 9:30 PM

Que ridiculo!

Good Lt on February 7, 2007 at 9:32 PM

If only the nutosphere took Islamism as seriously as they take themselves…

Good Lt on February 7, 2007 at 9:32 PM

Oh, it’s on now. Bring it, Pink Mafia!

Heh.

On this side of the aisle, it’s just a hilarious situation to watch unfold.

This is even funnier than the Glenn Wilson Ellers Ellersberg Greenwald debacle.

Pablo on February 7, 2007 at 9:33 PM

THAT WAS F***ING GREAT!

Oh, sorry. Very well stated, Bryan.

JammieWearingFool on February 7, 2007 at 9:33 PM

Great read Bryan.

Theworldisnotenough on February 7, 2007 at 9:37 PM

this is one of the nicer Sadlyno posts;

If the Edwards campaign actually fell for Malkin’s crazy-makin’ craziness, and hasn’t been reading Gavilicious and Bradstance, then John Edwards DESERVES TO LOSE.

Michelle, thanks!

Limerick on February 7, 2007 at 9:39 PM

If only the nutosphere took Islamism as seriously as they take themselves…

And the most ironic thing is that Marcotte and McEwan wouldn’t even be allowed to participate in politics, much less be allowed to cuss. They’d be stoned to death! So, please, if you’re reading this come down off your perch you fools!

SouthernGent on February 7, 2007 at 9:41 PM

This election season sees the far left’s influence dwindle.

I can actually see Allah’s point about maintaining credibility, and my tunnel vision by ignoring real politik.

*humbled*

But sooner or later we’ll have to deal honestly with how the commerce dept is being used to further the SPP’s goals while sidestepping Congress. It can wait until the Amanda Marcotte’s of the world alienate themselves from politics.

Theworldisnotenough on February 7, 2007 at 9:44 PM

So good I wanted to see it in writing again.
And for the threats? The last word he wrote after the threat was just too much for me.

but right wing bloggers have opened up a Pandora’s box they will not like. Developing…

After Amato/tomato blames their demise on right wing bloggers, he goes way to far with the “DEVELOPING….” I gotta tell ya, it sceeered me quite a bit, doubt I’ll sleep ’til this is all over./L

shooter on February 7, 2007 at 9:52 PM

Bryan

Blogging as a political tool has jumped the shark – amazed at the short term shelf life of it.

EricPWJohnson on February 7, 2007 at 9:55 PM

Nice summation Bryan. And just think, the election season has only just kicked into gear. Hang on to your hats; it’s going to be one heck of a ride.

By the way, judging from all the reaction to Vent’s “Masterpiece Theater” I’d say you and Michelle have hit a home run (again). Thanks!

Zorro on February 7, 2007 at 9:56 PM

The Edwards campaign erred in hiring these two.

Understatement of 2007.

Bryan, she also hates:

c) whites, and
d) Christians
e) rich and powerful men (when combined with the other attributes you and I listed)

forgetting that Mr. Edwards is all those…

Entelechy on February 7, 2007 at 10:02 PM

Fantastic. And commendations on the two Vents on this topic. Mise en temps!

P.S. Does Mr. Gore and global worming co. know about this home?

Entelechy on February 7, 2007 at 10:11 PM

Hilarious. Truly. So there is a limit to liberal moral superiority? And there must be a price to pay for their natural propensity for fabricating the facts and a reality to enforce their agendas? Hilarious. Truly.

Griz on February 7, 2007 at 10:12 PM

Heh, worms that they are, s/b ‘global warming’, above.

Entelechy on February 7, 2007 at 10:13 PM

Now, I had to check: MyDD, living large on Kos and Atrios links, manages 24,000 uniques a day, whereas I manage about 20,000.

So… Look, I didn’t know this, but apparently I’m entitled, pretty much, to issue Important Action Alerts and threaten candidates with a withholding of support myself.

Which means, of course, I’m going to start doing so. A lot. Pretty much every damn blog post from now on will be an Important Action Alert of some sort, and I am going to threaten to withhold the coveted Ace of Spades HQ endorsement from everyone in the field unless they start sending me some money.

That Ace is a funny dude.

Theworldisnotenough on February 7, 2007 at 10:18 PM

…an important action alert…

Is there any other kind?

Jim Treacher on February 7, 2007 at 10:18 PM

>By threatening a vicious rant and important action alert Chris Bowers was able to have his Papa Johns pizza delivered five minutes earlier than promised.

Bwaaahahahahahahahah! Somebody actually posted that on his site!

bloggless on February 7, 2007 at 10:22 PM

The Breck girl likely has/had no choice other than to throw the bimbos under the bus.

In the last election, democrats were all about re-discovering God and likely want to continue to talk about their “faith” so as to continue fooling those Klan-mobile driving NASCAR hicks.

Hiring these two would put a crimp in those schemes.

91Veteran on February 7, 2007 at 10:23 PM

John Edwards has his own Leeroy Jenkins.

So far, we’ve had two Democratic Presidential Campaigns implode right after declaring. I’m giddy to find out how Vilsack and Richardson are going to implode.

Nethicus on February 7, 2007 at 10:53 PM

Now that hit a little too close to home…… great post…

PinkyBigglesworth on February 7, 2007 at 10:55 PM

This was exactly what I needed after a stressful day of teaching 14 – 17 year olds to communicate clearly and use precise words to express their ideas. I wish to thank everyone for making me laugh. Unfortunately, I decided to check out some of the comments being posted at MyDD and DailyKos and now have a profound need to take a shower :(

dawgyear on February 7, 2007 at 11:09 PM

I don’t know if anyone actually clicked on the Terry Moran article linked above by Bryan, but I just about choked when I actually read this:

If a Republican candidate teamed up with a right-wing blogger who spewed this kind of venom, how would people react?

I have to admit that I’m shocked Terry would even bring up this point of view. It’s so….balanced? I’m scared.

thedecider on February 7, 2007 at 11:17 PM

dawgyear on February 7, 2007 at 11:09 PM

Shouldn’t it be named MyADD or MyTourettes?

91Veteran on February 7, 2007 at 11:28 PM

Just imagine what the righty blogers could do if we all did get together and vastly right wing conspiricized.

- The Cat

MirCat on February 7, 2007 at 11:35 PM

Well you came and you blogged about hating Christians
so I sent you away, oh Mandy
well we didn’t know you were man-hating feminist
and I want to get elected, oh Mandy

Bill C on February 7, 2007 at 11:45 PM

You came and you couldn’t blog without controversy
So I sent you away, oh Mandy

I remember all your words
Raining down as cold as ice
A shadow of a woman
A face in John’s lap
Hysteria in the night
The night goes boink’

Griz on February 8, 2007 at 12:37 AM

Now that the nutroots are foaming, it provides quite a contrast….

…seems to me what Oh Mandy wrote was a bit more harsh than anything Mark Foley emailed.

91Veteran on February 8, 2007 at 1:14 AM

Wasn’t Kos supposed to make the DLC radioactive? That worked out well.

Edwards will demonstrate his master statesmanship by firing only one of them….

Then he need only survive a Semi-Important Action Alert.

rw on February 8, 2007 at 1:16 AM

Well, some of the Insane KOS Posse seems to be reaching critical mass on the subject…

elgeneralisimo on February 8, 2007 at 1:21 AM

Then he need only survive a Semi-Important Action Alert.
rw on February 8, 2007 at 1:16 AM

Just on the subject of Marcotte alone I have laughed this hard in weeks.

Like Prof. Blather, spraining a rib (but not wetting anything.)

Ya think Edwards will risk the SIAA? Would that also mean only a rant and not a vicious one?

91Veteran on February 8, 2007 at 1:38 AM

I hope Bill Donahue does nothing. Edwards put these two cement boots on. Now let him swim.

Dusty on February 8, 2007 at 3:05 AM

EricPWJohnson on February 7, 2007 at 9:55 PM
blockquote>Bryan

Sorry, everyone, but I have to take this bait…….. “jumped the shark”…. aka “the last great moment of Happy Days where Fonzy was water skiing in a leather jacket, and he “jumped the sharks”…… the long running sit-com finished it’s last season at that point……. kinda like Nancy Pelosi’s every eye movement.

Forgive me, but I smell what Rush would call a “seminar caller” EricPWJohnson,

…. if you think that our opinions wouldn’t have an effect on politics, then why you would want to tell us this fact… let us keep talking, but if you did think that our opinions did have an effect, wouldn’t you want us to believe that we din’t, why would you even bother???????

Why not just sit back and enjoy the ride?

Me thinks, something is amiss……..

EricPWJohnson……… you got me ramped up regarding the Border Patrol Agents and the truth that is now coming out, proves me right, no thanks to your efforts. Match point to me.

“Jump the Shark” moment…….. Blogging???? Are you kidding???

I have a feeling that on this site, and many more like it, fellow “bloggers” are keeping their powder dry, waiting to see the white’s of thier eyes, gathering the truth along with facts, and waiting to enter the realm of political discourse in this country like our founding Fathers had never dreamed of.

“Jumped the Shark”???? Maybe for you, but as far as I can see, we just drained the pool, and it is being filled with a vast ocean……. I’m going swimming, anyone want to join me?

PinkyBigglesworth on February 8, 2007 at 3:17 AM

I wonder if she realizes that John Edwards is both a) male and b) Southern.

With a hire like Marcotte on his record, I wonder if John Edwards realizes that John Edwards is both a male and b) Southern.

Jeremayakovka on February 8, 2007 at 4:13 AM

Is it just me, or does the lefty blogosphere act like one giant high school drama club? You’ve got immaturity (general and intellectual), overblown histrionics, massive egos based on little or no tangible accomplishments, and a complete inability to comprehend the real world and their place in it. Sound about right?

As for profanity, I use it on a regular basis, but only for medicinal purposes. Oh, wait–that’s alcohol. Nevermind.

ReubenJCogburn on February 8, 2007 at 4:15 AM

Entelechy,

Bryan, she also hates:

c) whites, and
d) Christians

forgetting that Mr. Edwards is all those…

“But he noticed me! He told me I was special! My father never did that! Why, Daddy? Why?”

Perhaps channeling lunatics isn’t such a good idea…

Pablo on February 8, 2007 at 5:30 AM

Very well stated, Bryan.

GT on February 8, 2007 at 7:06 AM

I wonder if she realizes that John Edwards is both a) male and b) Southern.

Dude, please do not equate Edwards with the rest of us white, Southern males. :)

The Leftards are providing class A humor material with this one.

William Teach on February 8, 2007 at 7:34 AM

Bryan, I think you hit the nail on the head. I was surprised to find how angry the netroots are over this, but I bet what they’re angry at is the (true) suggestion that their ideas and rhetoric are nothing but a liability to a political candidate.

frankj on February 8, 2007 at 7:43 AM

Thanks Bryan for your thoughtful prose. The few times I have ventured into the realm of the “nutroots” blogs, I couldn’t seem to get the point with all of the cussing going on. Are these lefty bloggers so filled with rage about this or that that they can’t put a coherent thought, like yours, together? I guess that’s why I like coming here each day.

Some might argue that I live in an echo chamber but I find it easier to understand the point of a writer, like Bryan and Michelle, without all of the profanity and character assassination flying. Maybe these two women will learn a valuable lesson from this and become honest writers. I somehow doubt it though.

JohnnyD on February 8, 2007 at 8:01 AM

Now that I have had a night to think about it. Here is a better effort.

I remember running in 2004
On a ticket with an utter bore
A really long face
A politically tone deaf ear
Had me screaming all night
That’s why I fear

Mourning, another lost election
Happy Days for Republicans
After reading Pandagon
All its earthy words
I now realize
I’ve opened a can of worms, Oh Mandy

Well you insulted Catholics
So I sent you away, Oh Mandy
Well you hate men with a passion
I don’t need that in my campaign, Oh Mandy

Bill C on February 8, 2007 at 8:08 AM

Because of the whole Lamont/Leibermann issue, the nutroots thought themselves WAY too important to any candidate. They’re sure that they brought Leibermann down, and now feel they have a power over anybody running for office.

Look, blogs are great, they help provide discourse to many (like me) that wouldn’t ordinarily have a chance to take part in political debate. They also help to keep us informed. But while they definitely have the power to help bring down a candidate (think Swift Boat), the amount of supporting they can do is limited, and because of the permanence, they can often be more of a hindrance than a help (as the Edwards campaign is finding out).

Ego, I think, is playing the biggest part in their reaction.

Great stuff Bryan, thanks!

dalewalt on February 8, 2007 at 8:08 AM

Iowahawk’s “parody” is priceless. Thanks for the link, AP.

Quisp on February 8, 2007 at 8:24 AM

‘Blog years’? LOL. That’s great! How does that translate into regular human years?

Excellent work, Bryan. As usual.

pistolero on February 8, 2007 at 8:39 AM

Awww, I hoped they would keep her on. She is such a good read. At least she couldn’t be quoted by the MSM, too many f’n words.

right2bright on February 8, 2007 at 9:46 AM

“Jump the Shark” moment…….. Blogging???? Are you kidding???…I’m going swimming, anyone want to join me?
PinkyBigglesworth on February 8, 2007 at 3:17 AM

Pinky, I’m with you. What Pwn3dagon (good one, Jim Treacher!) does is fragging, not blogging.

RushBaby on February 8, 2007 at 9:52 AM

Bryan, why do you hate women so?

And of course I’m referring to Edwards.

spacemonkey on February 8, 2007 at 10:32 AM

My question, is why did Edwards feel the need to hire a blogger in the first place?

It’s not like it requires anything special to blog.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on February 8, 2007 at 10:46 AM

So any word yet on when that job listing for a “Military Analyst” at the Washington Compost and NBC is going to be posted? I believe my resume is just as good as what should be the soon departing Mr Arkin. Well except I have never been an advocate for anything except service members and their families.
Uh …on second thought I guess that disqualifies me. Well that an 20+ years service.
Maybe one of these gals can get the job?

LakeRuins on February 8, 2007 at 10:58 AM

Oh yeah Bryant excuse me for asking but are you of African American decent? I have to be careful after watching O’Reilly last night and he had 2 well spoken women of African American heritage who informed America that using the word “articulate” to describe an African American is racist.
So unless you are black this post was very articulate other wise I will go find a thesauraus and find an appropiate synonyim.

LakeRuins on February 8, 2007 at 11:04 AM

I am, much to my eternal shame, a white man from the South (Texas, specifically). Therefore “articulate” cannot be considered a racist insult against me.

Bryan on February 8, 2007 at 11:11 AM

For us southern men, it’s not “articulate”, it’s cunning linguists articulators.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on February 8, 2007 at 11:40 AM

Jeremayakovka on February 8, 2007 at 4:13 AM

That was good, really good :))

thirteen28 on February 8, 2007 at 11:52 AM

Don’t you know, this is ALL Michelle Malkin’s fault in her feeble attempt to boost her career. There’s graphs, links to articles from 2004 -

The only good thing I can see that’s come out of this is that Malkin shot herself in the foot by driving so many to Pandagon to see what the fuss was about, but really that’s small comfort to the Democratic netroots.

Candy Slice on February 8, 2007 at 12:33 PM

Oh *snap* Now I remember why the thought of lefties in power scares the living, f—ing, $#!+ out of me!

withoutfeathers on February 8, 2007 at 12:41 PM

Apparently they’re staying?

Candy Slice on February 8, 2007 at 12:52 PM

I guess the action alert threat worked.

Candy Slice on February 8, 2007 at 12:54 PM

Apparently they’re staying?

Then this long national nightmare for the netroots is finally over.

Edwards needs to wait until the general election to dump them; then he can get himself some good press from distancing himself from the nuts.

frankj on February 8, 2007 at 12:56 PM

Then this long national nightmare for the netroots is finally over.

frankj on February 8, 2007 at 12:56 PM

Good point – he may keep them around as long as they are useful and then try to have his sistah souljah moment if he gets the nomination (which I doubt will happen, but for the sake of argument …). I think the taint of these two will stick now that he’s decided to keep them around knowing what they’ve written in the past.

thirteen28 on February 8, 2007 at 1:00 PM

Candy Slice,

Thanks for the link. The hubris displayed in their sophistry, can I say the word lies?, is absolutely breathtaking.

Here’s Amanda’s spin:

A

bout My Personal Blog

user icon Amanda Marcotte in News Feed of
2/08/2007 at 11:23 AM EST

My writings on my personal blog Pandagon on the issue of religion are generally satirical in nature and always intended strictly as a criticism of public policies and politics. My intention is never to offend anyone for his or her personal beliefs, and I am sorry if anyone was personally offended by writings meant only as criticisms of public politics. Freedom of religion and freedom of expression are central rights, and the sum of my personal writings is a testament to this fact.

Here’s Edwards’ spin:

Statement on Campaign Bloggers

user icon John Edwards in News Feed of
2/08/2007 at 11:36 AM EST

The tone and the sentiment of some of Amanda Marcotte’s and Melissa McEwan’s posts personally offended me. It’s not how I talk to people, and it’s not how I expect the people who work for me to talk to people. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but that kind of intolerant language will not be permitted from anyone on my campaign, whether it’s intended as satire, humor, or anything else. But I also believe in giving everyone a fair shake. I’ve talked to Amanda and Melissa; they have both assured me that it was never their intention to malign anyone’s faith, and I take them at their word. We’re beginning a great debate about the future of our country, and we can’t let it be hijacked. It will take discipline, focus, and courage to build the America we believe in.

INC on February 8, 2007 at 1:11 PM

I will be bitterly disappointed if Edwards really dumps Amanda. After Kerry left, we lost so much material.

Amanda is an endless source of great comedic material, not to be wasted. Perhaps we ought to declare her a national treasure.

rogersnowden on February 8, 2007 at 1:48 PM

These people are pathetic.

Esthier on February 8, 2007 at 2:03 PM

Her commenters are even still quoting the oft debunked 650,000 death number while taking everything said on the Right out of context in the very sentences where they complain about the Right taking things out of context.

But really, since when is taking someone’s entire post and performing it for a camera taking anything out of context?

Are these people willfully ignorant?

Oh, wait, she’s living in Austin, Texas. That’s our version of San Fran.

Esthier on February 8, 2007 at 2:06 PM

Does the fact that John “Big House”Edwards actually talked to these crypto-clownistas means he is now ready and able to confront Ahmadeni-jihad at his own level?

(As Amanda’s bumper would’ve put it:

EDWARDS FOR F*CKING PRESIDENT!)

profitsbeard on February 8, 2007 at 2:21 PM

Should we really be acting as quality control for the Democrats? If we keep driving out the witless vulgarian partisans, they’re more likely to hire effective people. Who wants that? Do we really want the oleaginous Edwards represented online by somebody BETTER than Amanda Marcotte and Melissa McEwan? I think not. They’re PERFECT for him. We should never intervene when the Democrats are committing suicide but rather wish them well on their journey of self-discovery.

Tantor on February 8, 2007 at 2:26 PM

Are these people willfully ignorant?

Oh, wait, she’s living in Austin, Texas. That’s our version of San Fran.

Esthier on February 8, 2007 at 2:06 PM

Living here in Austin I can tell you, that yes, these people are willfully ignorant. Lotsa nutroots in certain parts of this town.

thirteen28 on February 8, 2007 at 3:02 PM

thirteen28, I have deep respect for anyone who can keep their wits in that town. It’s a nice city if you can avoid people like Marcotte, but it hasn’t been my experience that avoiding someone like her is an easy thing there.

Esthier on February 8, 2007 at 3:55 PM

thirteen28, Esthier, I live close to Austin but I go out of my way to avoid it. San Antonio is SUCH a more friendly town. You don’t even have to get out of your car to notice it – driving in Austin/SA is like night and day.

RushBaby on February 8, 2007 at 4:06 PM

Esthier on February 8, 2007 at 3:55 PM

Actually, it seems that the farther you get away from downtown, the more sane it gets, and by the time you get to one of the surrounding communities like Round Rock or Cedar Park you are definitely back in red state territory.

And to be fair, there are a lot of techies here too, and since their job requires actual logical thinking, a significant percantage of them tend to be more conservative than the general population around here.

Unfortunately for me, I have to come downtown for work every day … sigh. But even then, it’s not always bad – like the day after the ’04 election, as I could chuckle at all the numerous Kerry/Edwards signs I passed along my way into the office ;)

thirteen28 on February 8, 2007 at 4:19 PM

My BS detector just registered the highest reading ever. Her entire blog is full of insults and personal attacks upon just about everyone. Now that people are questioning her sanity and point to the insulting posts and the profanity it contains, she says she’s sorry and that she didn’t mean to offend? Excuse me, but I don’t believe that at all.

She’s thriving on all the attention her profanity and insults generate, why else would she use them to make ‘political statements?’ You don’t use profanity to emphasize your comments on politics or any other subject, that’s a sure sign of narcissistic behavior. And that behavior is a hallmark of the Left.

Liberalism is a narcissistic paradise: “All for one, and I’m that one!” These women, and their supporters have shown this time and time again.

RedinBlueCounty on February 8, 2007 at 5:50 PM