Charlize Theron: East of sanity

posted at 10:40 am on February 6, 2007 by Bryan

I’m sure Amanda Marcotte is already drafting the “CNN is pure &*%&*@# evil” post over this one.

File this post under “another Hollywood bubblehead who thinks America=oppression.” Only in this case, the bubblehead makes an interesting offer to the CNN anchor who helped her paint herself into a pro-Communist, anti-American corner. It’s a proud moment for feminists and Hollywood leftists the world over.

Comments

There it is. If you can’t argue intelligently, just throw him down and doink him! She’s welcome to come to my house and ‘argue’ with me.

infidel4life on February 6, 2007 at 10:47 AM

Another reason why these idiots should never go on television without a script. They’re so friggin’ stupid it’s scary. Sure she easy on the eyes, but dumb as a box of rocks.

JammieWearingFool on February 6, 2007 at 10:53 AM

Dumbass…

Wade on February 6, 2007 at 10:56 AM

This headline is misleading. I don’t think she’s even on the same map with sanity. That said, I will also argue with her! Uhh, for the conservative cause of course.

TugboatPhil on February 6, 2007 at 10:56 AM

What did she say before she said she wanted to make out?

infidel on February 6, 2007 at 10:59 AM

More proof Joe McCarthy was right. I’m convinced self-loathing narcissism is rampant in Hollywood. Actors all say they hate to watch their own work if they watch at all. It somehow makes them feel inadequate. This is how they compensate for what they feel is misplaced adulation. They won’t belong to any club that would have them as a member. (A different Marx). So they destroy the club.

Buck Turgidson on February 6, 2007 at 11:00 AM

I’ll never look at her the same way again.

Actually, upon further review, I’ll continue to look at her the same way I always did.

World B. Free on February 6, 2007 at 11:01 AM

I’m wagering plain old “stupid” trumps anything as intellectually challenging as deliberate “Marxist apologist” here. The inability to accurately identify and weigh superficial parallels between radically different governments, policies, ethical systems, religions, etc. seems to be one of the more basic and most vital liberal afflictions.

Blacklake on February 6, 2007 at 11:02 AM

Of course America’s lack of freedom runs parallel with Cuba’s. I’m fairly certain that Jay-Z, Nas, and Lil’ Jon have to run their lyrics through the Ministry of Culture.

Kid from Brooklyn on February 6, 2007 at 11:05 AM

Exit question: Who wants to see Charlize straddling an enemy gun turret in her Aeon Flux outfit?

Kid from Brooklyn on February 6, 2007 at 11:07 AM

No pass for beauty. I wouldn’t trade my wife for two of her (ooops…sorry oh wonderful wife…you ARE beautiful)…..

Hope she has been spayed.

Limerick on February 6, 2007 at 11:08 AM

lets be honest its the BOdy but that doesn’t make her beautiful. Same old Hollywood angle w/twist acknowledge Cubas dictatorship and need for Hugo, make Cuba comparisons to that of Americas UCLU standard of problems. What cave of indoctrination did she attend?

mimi on February 6, 2007 at 11:11 AM

Come in, Houston…

Corky on February 6, 2007 at 11:14 AM

Once again, this is the democratic party. These are the people that the liberal bloggers hold up as their leaders.
BTW, she set back the women’s movement by about 30 years with that “I want to make out with you” comment. That is how liberal women think, get in trouble…flirt or attack a women (ala Boxer) for not having children.
I love that democrat party, they are so entertaining.

right2bright on February 6, 2007 at 11:15 AM

Allah,

Do you know what media personalities were fired because of the Iraq War?

bert169 on February 6, 2007 at 11:15 AM

Who lost there jobs for speaking out against the war? What was the context? That’s what makes the US as obressive as Cuba?

trader67 on February 6, 2007 at 11:18 AM

So she said she loves the United States? Good, tell us, you imbecilic bimbo, just what do you love about the U.S.? How can you sit there with a straight face and even think about comparing our country with one run by a restrictive slime-bag like Castro?

People like this pi** me off more than the ‘normal’ lefties… how does she think she’d ever get as far anyway else as she has here?

dalewalt on February 6, 2007 at 11:20 AM

I’m guessing the ‘lost jobs’ she was talking about might’ve been Rather (and she just got confused). But regardless; how can you equate a corporate decision, if it even happened, with a government decision to censor???

dalewalt on February 6, 2007 at 11:21 AM

Allah didn’t post this, I did, and I have no idea who she’s talking about. Dan Rather, maybe? He’s the highest profile MSM figure to lose his job after the war. Of course, his ouster had nothing to do with opposition to the war, but I don’t expect Theron to be capable of making the distinctions necessary to understand why Rather ended up talking to himself at HDNet.

Bryan on February 6, 2007 at 11:22 AM

Would you really want to make out with this? (The morning after photo!!)

maintenanceman on February 6, 2007 at 11:22 AM

Charlize is South African, right? Just sayin’.

jaleach on February 6, 2007 at 11:25 AM

Grats to you Charlize on becoming a multi-millionaire in our freedom-limited society. I’m sure the Cuban rapper Pedro feels at one with you in your struggles here as he curls up in his crate for a nap using his shoe as a pillow. Twit.

Benaiah on February 6, 2007 at 11:27 AM

NEW YORK — Faced with slow ad sales and growing competition from digital and cable media, NBC Universal plans to slash expenses by $750 million and cut 700 jobs, about 5% of its workforce. —-Oct 06

I guess the ‘free market’ = government oppression….makes sense to me.

Limerick on February 6, 2007 at 11:30 AM

If anyone who think its better in Cuba…I implore them to leave. Many soldiers died giving dhimmis that freedom.

infidel on February 6, 2007 at 11:31 AM

You are forgetting poor Bill Mahar. He just spoke a little truth to power a couple of weeks after 9/11 and got railroaded off of late night t.v.
All he did was express heart felt admiration for the courage of the hijackers and the evil rethuglicans got him banned for like…16 months?

billy on February 6, 2007 at 11:32 AM

Ms. Theron is from South Africa. Thus an Africaner. Who needs democracy when you have Apartheid??

robblefarian on February 6, 2007 at 11:36 AM

F-ing idiot… But I’m sure the Oprah crowd will rally around her.

x95b10 on February 6, 2007 at 11:36 AM

Regardless of who she was talking about (and my votes still for Rather); she still missed the biggest distinction… it was a CORPORATE decision to can , not a government one. CNN, or NBC, or whomever, has every right to can anybody they wish!

dalewalt on February 6, 2007 at 11:40 AM

Hollywood seems intent on putting ideology over profit. Look at the advertisement for the stupid farmer astronaut movie when Billy Bob Thornton is asked about his rocket being a potential WMD. “If it were a WMD, you wouldn’t have found it.”

Way to alienate about half of your audience, folks. Keep up the good work.

Slublog on February 6, 2007 at 11:44 AM

Wow. That was stupid. Another liberal who can’t tell the difference between private industry and gov’t. Her equivalence argument is completely baseless. Next time, I’d rather just skip to the making out part.

CP on February 6, 2007 at 11:49 AM

I might be the only one on this board that doesn’t find her barbie doll looks attractive…but I never thought she was such an idiot. Plus, she made Aeon Flux.

3 strikes and you’re out.

Malpaso on February 6, 2007 at 11:50 AM

Monster.

journeyscarab on February 6, 2007 at 11:59 AM

Sigh. Aren’t there any good ones left? It’s okay to be left-leaning; it’s okay to disagree with me. But aren’t there any liberals left who are actually THINKING liberals? Or is that an oxymoron?

The irony is always so vast and thick with these people. If she were forced to live in Cuba for a single day – just one day – she would suddenly “get it,” wouldn’t she?

Or perhaps the greatest irony of all – the fact that if someday, America really became what these people all shrilly shriek that it is, if we really lost our freedoms … that sound you’d hear would be ten million liberals slapping their foreheads and saying: “OH! That’s what conservatives meant all that time!”

I never know whether to laugh or cry at such monumental, eternal stupidity. Here’s a hint for liberals everywhere: if you’re on the public airwaves condemning your country and simultaneously claiming not to have the freedom to condemn your country, you are – by definition – an idiot of legendary proportions. Someone should build a statue to honor your dim-witted dummytude.

The irony just kills me. If we lose our freedoms someday, my only consolation as I’m being carted off to the gulag will be the realization that liberals will FINALLY frickin’ understand what Cuba and Iran and Venezuela are really all about. Charlize, you are such an ignorant slut.

Professor Blather on February 6, 2007 at 12:02 PM

I’m not sure what the original point of the interview was. Were they both hammering Castro for the censorship? Was the reporter sugesting that Castro should censor rap lyrics?
I’m sure that Cuban rappers rap about the deployable conditions in Cuba, whereas American rappers have an entirely different set of topics.

CT makes the classic S-P blunder in assigning relativism to both motivations.

csdeven on February 6, 2007 at 12:07 PM

what a herpes spreader.

jummy on February 6, 2007 at 12:07 PM

And thank you to those who point out Charlize’s country of origin. Just more of that irony that’s caked on so thick, ain’t it?

She comes from the land of Apartheid and spouts off with nonsensical silliness like this? She saw a place that actually had no freedom and manages to hold such a wildly skewed view of reality?

The irony. It’s too much. It’s like when I hear Germans of a certain age lecturing the United States about invading other countries. How do liberals stand the stench of their own hypocritical cognitive dissonance?

I need a beer.

Professor Blather on February 6, 2007 at 12:07 PM

*Sigh

Ok.

Tell me again why the nineteenth amendment was a good idea??

locomotivebreath1901 on February 6, 2007 at 12:08 PM

Charlize is South African, right? Just sayin’.

jaleach on February 6, 2007 at 11:25 AM

Yes, good point. Truly ignorant and just a slap in the face to all those oppressed people in Cuba.

I wonder if she also has a house in Cuba – after all, Cuba and the U.S. are equally oppressive countries. Also, I’m sure Castro would like to show Charlize that little toy he and Hugo (“the Juice”) like to play with (just for show because it’s just for the Juice).

Rick on February 6, 2007 at 12:09 PM

Speaking of Hollyweird and their love affair with anything “not American”, whatever happened to that ignoramus Sean Penn and his lovely trip to Iran. While there, you saw all sorts of PR about him being there, but when he came back he was awfully quiet about the trip. Could it be that these terroristic/despot ruled countries really aren’t the Nirvan these people thought they’d be. Just wondering.

rayvet on February 6, 2007 at 12:15 PM

These twits get the chance to say these (usually uninformed) things because viewers tune in. Add to that the notion that we treat moviestars like they are special and it’s no wonder they think what they have to say is important.

I must say, though, that I wouldn’t mind it as much (even the lefties) if these twits were informed, educated, and knew what they were talking about.

As it is, don’t they remind you of some dopey, sophomore, JV cheerleader whining about how unfair it is that you must get 3 math credits to graduate?

Fatrap on February 6, 2007 at 12:23 PM

CP

I think this is because the average liberal doesn’t believe there should be private industry.

Benaiah on February 6, 2007 at 12:24 PM

…she still missed the biggest distinction… it was a CORPORATE decision to can , not a government one.

To folks like her, they’re one and the same.

Big Bad Corporation = Big $ to Republicans = GWB putting pressure on poor MSM to muzzle Bad Comments.

See, it all makes sense.

BacaDog on February 6, 2007 at 12:45 PM

I’d still hit it.

I would just be very angry with myself afterward.

natesnake on February 6, 2007 at 12:56 PM

Charlize Theron was born and raised in South Africa, but became a naturalized American citizen a few years ago (I got this info from her Saturday Night Live guest-host monologue, but assume it’s true). Therefore the problem is not just the airheadedness of a Hollywood liberal. The problem is we let people become citizens without knowing the difference between Cuban censorship and the free-market stuff that happened to the Dixie Chicks.

Also, I must chastise all of you for mocking a genuine African-American. Raaacists, all of you!

Anton on February 6, 2007 at 1:01 PM

How is it possible to concentrate on what Charlize Theron says? If your ears are doing the work instead of your eyes, you must be gay. I forgive Charlize everything. Life’s too short, guys.

Halley on February 6, 2007 at 1:10 PM

Charlize, when was the last time you saw anyone on a home made boat risking a crossing from Key West to Cuba to escape oppression in the US?

I’m a Cuban and I find her statment’s especially insulting. they demean the suffering that my family and every Cuban family has experienced due to the crimes of the dictator castro.

Mig on February 6, 2007 at 1:18 PM

what a herpes spreader.

jummy on February 6, 2007 at 12:07 PM

Maybe we can fix her up with Ron Mexico.

thirteen28 on February 6, 2007 at 1:26 PM

I’d still hit it.

I would just be very angry with myself afterward.

natesnake on February 6, 2007 at 12:56 PM

Somehow, I doubt you’d be angry with yourself.

Rick on February 6, 2007 at 1:41 PM

Remember, she play “MR F” on Arrested Development as Michael’s “special” girl friend. MR F was short for “mentally retarded female.” Listening to her speak about America, perhaps she was type-cast for the role.

Mallard T. Drake on February 6, 2007 at 1:53 PM

Hope she has been spayed.

Limerick on February 6, 2007 at 11:08 AM

Major Brownie points to you, Limerick. Men. Good grief. She’s a blooming idiot and all some of you see is her “beauty.” Don’t you think she COUNTS on that? Some things never change.

Glynn on February 6, 2007 at 2:03 PM

Mig on February 6, 2007 at 1:18 PM

I was thinking the same thing. I am not Cuban, but somehow, I think all the political prisoners in Castro’s jails would have a hard time finding sympathy for the rappers. I know I do. I think Charlize and Andy Garcia need to get together for a little education session. He’s my hero.

Glynn on February 6, 2007 at 2:04 PM

“dummytude” – good one professor!

Imagine waking up with this, having breakfast conversations, especially after the honeymoon is over…

Entelechy on February 6, 2007 at 2:23 PM

Two words…White Guilt.

The explanation for all things white and liberal.

The Ugly American on February 6, 2007 at 2:24 PM

billy,

Right, but that was well before the war. Rather doesn’t fit either, as his issue had nothing to do with the war either.

Who spoke out against the war and got fired? Are these imaginary people?

locomotivebreath1901,

Tell me again why the nineteenth amendment was a good idea??

Not only does Al Franken get to vote, he’s going to run for the Senate. sean Penn, Alec Baldwin, etc… Then, let me refer you to the lady in the little picture box at the top of the front page.

Pablo on February 6, 2007 at 2:26 PM

The next star of “The View “

Texyank on February 6, 2007 at 2:27 PM

Entelechy on February 6, 2007 at 2:23 PM

Might not be too bad. As soon as things get complicated and above her head, she’ll just want to make-out. What guy wouldn’t be happy? Arguments will lead to good things.

Rick on February 6, 2007 at 2:30 PM

Rick, you missed the key words “after the henymoon is over”, and by implication “for the rest of your life” :)

Entelechy on February 6, 2007 at 2:45 PM

It’s always said when one of the hottest broads around does something like this. What an f-ing idiot. And while I’m not sure who she’s talking about being fired from a TV network for speaking out on the war, that wouldn’t be a decision by the government, it would be a business decision. I’m really pissed about this, because I feel like I am a hypocrite if I ever watch her movies or look at ther the same again… but I don’t know if I can help myself. The pool of movies I’ll allow myself to watch is ridiculously small.

RightWinged on February 6, 2007 at 2:56 PM

Entelechy, you’re ruining it for me. STOP!!

Rick on February 6, 2007 at 2:56 PM

She’s just another Hollyweird bimbo with the IQ of a radish.

PoliticallyIncorrectSandy on February 6, 2007 at 2:57 PM

In 10 days, I’ll celebrate five years without attending, renting and ordering movies. Not at the movies.

mymanpotsandpans on February 6, 2007 at 3:28 PM

She has a lot of nerve. I have never seen one movie of hers and now I know why. What a twit.

Catie96706 on February 6, 2007 at 4:02 PM

I love the phony claim that free speech is being thwarted and stifled here in the United States. What is more idiotic than such a specious claim?

Of course free speech IS censored in the US, but not by Bush, or Conservatives, or Christians, or Jews, or Hindus, or Buddhists, or Jains, or Sikhs, etc.

Free speech is censored by left wing, tin foil hat wearing cretins who attack conservative speakers and physically injure them, vandalize offices of conservatives, vandalize automobiles of conservatives, attack those they don’t like in the street, in the library, or wherever they might find them, punish students in Colleges for daring to think for themselves and for daring to disagree with the left wing, fifth column idiots.

Yes, there is an attack on free speech; it is from the left.

Charlize Theron has joined the ranks of the swiss cheese brained leftists who are too big for their own britches, and who are living in a fantasy world.

She never looked more ugly than she does spewing left wing pabulum, appearing to be more like the possessed child from the movie “The Exorcist” than a beautiful, appealing, intelligent actress.

William

William2006 on February 6, 2007 at 4:12 PM

Does this work? Back hot liberal women into a corner just by asking them rhetorical questions, and they offer to make out with you?

Maybe I need to go into journalism.

see-dubya on February 6, 2007 at 4:14 PM

I’m trying to recall all of those folks that got fired for speaking out against the iraq war….mmmmmmmm. Can’t think of one.

gary on February 6, 2007 at 4:15 PM

The, umm…Dixie Chicks…got fired, well, not as many people, you know, bought their records…umm, do you want to make out with me?

see-dubya on February 6, 2007 at 4:28 PM

As an incredibly beautiful person, I hate it when incredibly beautiful but stupid people speak out as though they are knowlegable. It’s very embarrasing and it makes all of us who are mind bendingly gorgious seem vain, silly, shallow and self absorbed. Anyway, back to my mirror.

ronsfi on February 6, 2007 at 4:33 PM

Charlize Theron is a really Hottie. She can say whatever she wants, I don’t care.

Lawrence on February 6, 2007 at 4:36 PM

Actually, Theron made more of her dumb comments about Cuba, some of which are really outrageous, in this month’s Marie Claire.

Debbie Schlussel on February 6, 2007 at 4:40 PM

Just another example of our great immigration laws.I thought they had to at least pass the Government test before they bestow citizenship.

I think she just got an F on live TV.

ScottyDog on February 6, 2007 at 4:40 PM

She’s a moron, but she’s a very attractive moron. If I weren’t happily married, I’d be glad to have her, umm, argue with me.

Physics Geek on February 6, 2007 at 4:48 PM

When some of the people you love and cherish most in the whole world are on the other end of the political spectrum, it tends to throw a monkeywrench between one’s brain and one’s heart.

I dunno, maybe it’s a stupid guy thing, but Charlize gets a pass in my book just because of the way she looked in The Italian Job (perfect). Scarlett Johansson gets a pass for making me cry in Lost In Translation. Moonbat Ashley Judd gets a pass just for being so cute. But I draw the line at Rosie O’Donnell…

Halley on February 6, 2007 at 5:01 PM

Benaiah on February 6, 2007 at 11:27 AM

Well said Benaiah.

silenced majority on February 6, 2007 at 5:17 PM

She is total separation of mind and State.

Mojave Mark on February 6, 2007 at 5:23 PM

Gee, maybe she should go to Miami and tell all of those ingrates that they should return home. Where their is real freedom. Freedom from medicine, freedom from health care care, freedom from eating three a day, freedom from owning land, freedom from speaking your mind, freedom from education, freedom from working…lots of freedoms in Cuba.

right2bright on February 6, 2007 at 6:13 PM

Monster.

journeyscarab on February 6, 2007 at 11:59 AM

Now that’s uncalled for.

The Monster on February 6, 2007 at 7:36 PM

ScottyDog on February 6, 2007 at 4:40 PM

Whoa.
I mean Whoa.

Border fence? Fine.
Tougher employer sanctions? Check.

Keeping really hot chicks out of these beloved United States?

There’s where you lose me.

billy on February 6, 2007 at 8:05 PM

Theron is from South Africa, I believe. Wouldn’t that make her and the family she grew up with, by proxy, at least, no better than White supremacists who benefitted and profited from the slave labor of those who were societally beneath them?

By doing what she is doing, could it not be argued as well that she is yet engaging in behavior that again exploits the underprivledged (Cubans instead of blacks in this case) for her own profit?

And to deflect hard questions to instead transfer her guilt to “conditions in the United States”? a country that by taking her in, has enabled her to become what she is – yet another foreigner who uses the U. S. to profit and fund her real agenda, which is to denounce and degrade the U. S. throughout the world.

We need to quit funding those who hate us – if you truly want to make a statement, boycott her movies, DVD rentals, magazines with articles, interviews, etc..

The only thing that such people really worship is money and the status, etc. that goes with it.

Perhaps if America is so bad, she should go back either to South Africa or the People’s Paradise of Cuba and live there instead.

Emmett J. on February 6, 2007 at 9:32 PM

BacaDog on February 6, 2007 at 12:45 PM

Was just thinking on this:

Big Bad Corporation = pays workers salaries = workers by movie tickets = Charlize becomes obscenely wealthy at the expense of cheap labor = and it’s all Bush’s fault =…. sorry does not compute.

Two words…White Guilt.

The Ugly American on February 6, 2007 at 2:24 PM

I forgot to factor in White Guilt.

Okay let’s try again:

Bad Corp = worker = tickets = dumb wealthy actress = on the back of cheap labor = White Guilt = All Bush’s fault.

Did we miss any liberal talking points in this equation?

Lawrence on February 6, 2007 at 9:33 PM

Umm…she said something? Sorry, brain was TAD during that, just looking at the pretty girl…

Okay, all joking aside, she’s a twit and frankly this kind of idiotic opinion is not all that surprising from some of these folks. She got backed into a corner quite effectively (bravo to CNN! Never thought I’d say that…) and then used the female trump card to try and get herself out. Eh, whatever. She’s a dolt but she’s good eyecandy, the reason man developed the ‘mute’ button.

Militant Bibliophile on February 6, 2007 at 10:06 PM

Am I like the ONLY person here not the least bit surprised??

Look, Y’all!! It’s the rare South African Dingbat.

tickleddragon on February 6, 2007 at 10:42 PM

Shocking.

How stupid can someone possibly be?

I guess when you’re that good looking, you get a free pass in lots of other areas.

asc85 on February 6, 2007 at 11:13 PM

I’m disappointed. Another one down. Theron is an amazing actor and it is a shame she has nothing upstairs to back it up.

She’s probably been taught that there is no capitalism…as you know it’s all George Booosh’s fault. No one really owns these companies, the gov’ment runs ‘em.

shooter on February 7, 2007 at 11:11 AM

Let me see if I get this right.

This women equates people getting fired from a job for speaking out against a government policy here in the US (if that actually happened) with people getting imprisoned for years and sometimes decades because they spoke out against a government policy (or the government in general) in Cuba? Excuse me, but that doesn’t compute! How can anyone say the two are equal?

Loosing a job verses being imprisoned. Humm… I’ll take loosing my job any day! I can always get another job, but I can’t always get my freedom back.

RedinBlueCounty on February 7, 2007 at 4:54 PM