Super Bowl XLI; Update: Commercials galore; Update: NYT: Violent ads = Iraq metaphor

posted at 4:32 pm on February 4, 2007 by Allahpundit

Two hours until kickoff and the pre-game show’s already two and a half hours old. Consider this your official HA SBXLI open thread, although its real purpose is to act as a repository for commercials I’ll be posting throughout the game. Expect the updates to start coming fast and furious around 7 p.m. ET. I’m asking for our readers’ help on that, too: if you see something clipworthy and you’re by a computer, we’d be most grateful if you shot us an e-mail at tips -at- hotair.com. Time cues would be helpful, e.g., “Second quarter, 7:30 left, talking Quizno’s baby — HILARIOUS, EVERGREEN.”

Here’s your first ad of the day, the GoDaddy “Basic Instinct” parody rejected by CBS for its illicit, electrifying hint of Candice Michelle gone commando. For your reading pleasure, the NYT has a fun piece about what happens to the losing team’s pre-printed “Super Bowl champion” t-shirts and Joe Queenan argues persuasively in the LA Times that if you’re rooting for the Colts, you’re a soulless punk who’d probably sell his mama out for a nickel. Mike Pechar isn’t rooting for the Colts himself but he’s found a nuanced, reality-based way not to root against them, either.

Two weeks ago I thought Indy was going to give Chicago the Spitzer treatment, but today I’m sensing a major “Peyton chokes” disturbance in the Force. Prediction: Bears in a close one.

Update: Katie, simply a vision today on the sidelines sans hairspray and make-up:

katie.jpg

Update (Ian): Oliver on one of the greatest teams in one of the greatest super bowls.

Update: From the pre-game, Peyton dons Beastie Boys “Sabotage” gear for Sprint in the first of what’s sure to be many spots for him tonight. Ian says he’s seen this one before; I hadn’t.

Update: A new Geico caveman ad, but not “Super Bowl new” says Kid from Brooklyn. It’s a few weeks old. The subject: what makes an “authentic” caveman?

Update (Ian): Debbie Schlussel says forget the Super Bowl, bring on the Baghdad Bowl!

Update: Last one from the pre-game, also a few weeks old, from Combos. Fat guys in drag? Comedy gold. They’ve got an “interesting” website for this one, too.

Update: The NFL does MLS a solid by introducing Los Angeles “football” player David Beckham.

Update: Bob Owens wrote a post a few weeks ago about friends of his who’d entered a contest to have their ad — produced for $12.79 — run during the Super Bowl. Looks like they won.

Update: Blockbuster with something for the kids. Cute, if disturbing.

Update: Here’s the flip side of the Doritos ad — FedEx goes big budget.

Update: An instant classic of gay panic, and the best commercial of the night thus far, from Snickers.

Update: Carlos Mencia, proving once again why he’s the poor man’s Chappelle, for Bud Light.

Update: Candice leaves her underwear on this time for GoDaddy.

Update: No, it’s not an ad for Grand Theft Auto. It only looks that way.

Update: What do you get when you cross Spuds MacKenzie with “Lady and the Tramp”?

Update: Monsters and metal. My favorite ad of the night thus far.

Update: A little lighthearted S&M from Anheuser-Busch.

Update: Two takes on black history month from Coke and Frito-Lay, respectively.

Update: More Mencia for Bud Light. Painful.

Update: A few people have e-mailed asking for the Letterman promo that ran earlier. Cute.

Update: Another nifty animated spot from Coke, which was also responsible for the video game ad earlier.

Update: The rat race as Gladiator. Cute, but trying too hard.

Update: This one would have been a lot funnier if they’d gotten Will Ferrell to play him, but Ferrell’s a lot more expensive than Goooou-let is nowadays.

Update: FedEx goes low budget for its second clip of the night, with better results.

Update: The girl’s attractive enough that I can’t remember offhand what product this is for. Bud? Coke?

Update: Borrowing heavily from a scene in “Toy Story,” Bud gets crabs.

Update: The greatest duet since Bowie and Bing Crosby: Don Shula and Jay-Z faceoff in hologram football. Huh?

Verdict: I’m partial to the moronic Garmin ad, but Snickers really satisfied. Gaymania!

Update (Ian): I missed the Piano Man perform the National Anthem, but if someone finds the YouTube of it, please share!

billy-joel.jpg

Update: Retarded.

No commercial that appeared last night during Super Bowl XLI directly addressed Iraq, unlike a patriotic spot for Budweiser beer that ran during the game two years ago. But the ongoing war seemed to linger just below the surface of many of this year’s commercials.

More than a dozen spots celebrated violence in an exaggerated, cartoonlike vein that was intended to be humorous, but often came across as cruel or callous.

For instance, in a commercial for Bud Light beer, sold by Anheuser-Busch, one man beat the other at a game of rock, paper, scissors by throwing a rock at his opponent’s head.

In another Bud Light spot, face-slapping replaced fist-bumping as the cool way for people to show affection for one another. In a FedEx commercial, set on the moon, an astronaut was wiped out by a meteor. In a spot for Snickers candy, sold by Mars, two co-workers sought to prove their masculinity by tearing off patches of chest hair…

Then, too, there was the unfortunate homonym at the heart of a commercial from Prudential Financial, titled “What Can a Rock Do?”

The problem with the spot, created internally at Prudential, was that whenever the announcer said, “a rock” — invoking the Prudential logo, the rock of Gibraltar — it sounded as if he were saying, yes, “Iraq.”

Here’s the Prudential spot.

Update (Ian): Here’s Billy:

Comments

I just realized, as Billy Joel finished our National Anthem, the camera went skyward……… dark, raining, a sense of “what’s next”……. American Fire Power, coming out of nowhere, buzzing everyone’s head…. ZOOOOOOMMMMMMM…… that’s the Iraq/Iran/North Korean/Syria money shot…. then we all enjoyed a American Football Game, and are FREE to enjoy it.

Thank you troops, I hope you all had a chance to see it…..

PinkyBigglesworth on February 5, 2007 at 1:25 AM

That NYT article is yet another example of the state of today’s media that makes it impossible to think we can win a war on terror or get any good policies passed because these people lead the media pack in reporting that shapes public opinions. Make no mistake, this isn’t just one idiot… it’s a media culture. As much good as the “new media” has done, I still think the mindset, views, distortions, and lies of Goliath are still to powerful to overcome… especially when coverage dictates what happens in places like Iraq, allowing them to only rereport the story they’ve prewritten. The enemy watches the media, sees a divided country and attacks that weakness and it just builds every day. I don’t want to hear that we can’t blame Democrats and the media for Iraq. The enemy knows that we will only lose this war in Washington, and the media and Democrats have repeatedly promised to deliver a victory to them, right back to when they spent 13 years making the WMD case, then 6 months in to the war started calling Bush a liar when they realized that the 2004 presidential election was only a year away. The decision to divide the country, over a war they supported (don’t even get me started on John Edwards who told fully supported giving the finger to the UN security council and Bush’s policy, when he was trying to be the “tough” Democrat in the primaries) was made by the Democrats, and that is what lead to everything that has followed. Notice the enemy always stepped up the fight before elections? Why did it take 3 1/2 years for some of the worst fighting to happen? (which is actually disputable, I read a blog entry somewhere that revealed that in September when the media went wild with one of their “deadliest month” stories, the numbers actually showed it was clear that the normal natural deaths were moved from that column to the “violent” deaths column… otherwise the numbers would have been on par, and slightly lower than other months around the same time). Why has the fight been stepped up so much in the past few weeks? Because Dems are in full attack mode, and if the enemy can make it look like they’re right, public opinion will make it impossible for us to stay… The Dems are doing this to win elections, the terrorists do it to give them a HUGE victory of the great satan and to give them a HUGE boost in recruiting.

(and to answer you question, yes I know I should have used paragraphs… but I was just ranting)

RightWinged on February 5, 2007 at 1:27 AM

I’m not talking about amping him. I’m talking about digitally fixing his voice live with a vocoder. You can hear it in the higher parts (rockets red glare, etc.); it jumps from note to note instead of shifting naturally. Again, Lame. If he can’t sing, then get someone that can. Who cares if he’s famous if he can’t do what he’s famous for any longer?

spmat on February 5, 2007 at 1:29 AM

I thought I heard that also spmat, but I am on my laptop and thought it might have been a bad audio encoding. I wasn’t able to hear it live as I was coming back from a 7 hour road trip. Very lame if you ask me.
As far as the over the top renting about having two AA coaches for the first time in a super bowl made me sick. For God’s sake, they made it to where they are because of who they are. Character, vision, perseverance, a whole lot of hard work and faith. And Tony D. had to be PC about it, but I loved how he answered the AA question(I was listening on radio)…gave them a little of what they wanted, but put the point of the subject back to his team(Yeah I am happy to represent the AA community, but this was a team effort…etc – paraphrasing). Classy.

lsutiger on February 5, 2007 at 1:55 AM

Congrats to the Colts and Tony Dungy. He mentioned his faith in the Lord, now that’s class. I bet millions of lefties in San Fran and Boston shreiked!

It DID sound like they booed Muhammed though. When Moose Johnson played for the much-hated Dallas Crackboys, even us Eagles fans called out “MOOOOOOSE!” and it *sounded* like moose. But that sounded like BOOOO! Projection maybe?

Best part was that the game was better than the commercials.

Tony737 on February 5, 2007 at 1:56 AM

RightWinged on February 5, 2007 at 1:27 AM

Spot On…. and never apologize for ranting…. I try, but always forget.

PinkyBigglesworth on February 5, 2007 at 2:14 AM

And just think, no expoding malls at Chistmas, no crowds being showered with nail bombs, and now a nuke free Superbowl; thanks to the military for doing thier job over there!

– The Cat

MirCat on February 5, 2007 at 2:26 AM

“Payton Manning”…. after throwing up since the pre-game show…………. I will never drink again…….

PinkyBigglesworth on February 5, 2007 at 2:50 AM

OK., I lied, drinking game back on……… Every time a POST game commentator mentions the name “Payton Manning” {hic-up}, time to take a sip…….

PinkyBigglesworth on February 5, 2007 at 2:52 AM

They’ll always be the BALTIMORE COLTS……

Anyone else old enough to remember how the team snuck out of town in the middle of the night?

and congrats to flipflop, who at the beginning of the game–and this thread–called it for the Colts by 10

Janos Hunyadi on February 5, 2007 at 4:15 AM

I ordered 3 large Pizza Hut pizza’s with stuffed crust and bacon, ham, pepperoni and sausage for my Superbowl party with family and friends yesterday.

To my surprise, when I opened up each box to take a slice or two, Pizza Hut had placed the ingredients in the shape of IRAQ!

There it was, plain as day, Iraq made up of 4 meats and various cheeses! Needless to say, this war pizza was delicious (though there will probably be an insurgency launched against my intestinal tract later on tonight)

/NYT Paranoia Mode: OFF

JG2K6 on February 5, 2007 at 5:40 AM

Billy Joel has not aged gracefully!

LonelyMassRepublican on February 5, 2007 at 6:21 AM

I think the “reporter” who wrote the paranoid Prudential story should switch to bottled water. He seems to be suffering from lead poisoning inducted hallucinations.

Zorro on February 5, 2007 at 6:37 AM

The world will be a better place after the New York Times goes out of business.

Phil Byler on February 5, 2007 at 7:11 AM

Stuart Elliott. Dumbest. Journalist. Ever.

flipflop on February 5, 2007 at 7:26 AM

The NYT guys have no idea how transparently insane they are. To watch Super Bowl ads and see an Iraq metaphor takes a special kind of dumbass.

I was sipping my alphabet soup yesterday and immediately noticed that the noodles came together to make the word IRAQ. I think it’s a plot by the Campbell’s Soup Company.

sdd on February 5, 2007 at 7:47 AM

And the Best Comment Award for this thread goes to … The Cat! (applause) For “Nuke Free Superbowl”!

Sad part is, nobody even mentioned our Troops, only saw ’em once, during the National Anthem. A few times I heard “This is for…” thinkin’ they were gonna say “…our Troops overseas.” but instead they continued with “…all the storm victims in Central Florida.” which is cool and all but somebody should’ve at least mentioned our Troops, because, as MirCat stated so well, we had a bomb free Super Bowl *because* of them.

Tony737 on February 5, 2007 at 8:38 AM

“A rock”? Stuart is projecting his traitorous thinking.

Can imagine all the moonbats reading that after not noticing the reference to “Iraq” and then saying to themselves that they need to pay more attention to the subliminal ads from now on?

Crazy is as crazy does.

csdeven on February 5, 2007 at 9:07 AM

Well imagine the uproar if Prudential still used their “Own a piece of the rock” slogan. The NYT would be like “OMG! THEY’RE SELLING PIECES OF IRAQ!! BUSH IS EVIL!!”

ViperPilot on February 5, 2007 at 9:28 AM

Kid from Brooklyn,

Who’s this “we”? The Bears kicked New York butt this year, bozo, in New York.

All that means right about now, Jailbones, is that the Bears had to wait another 6 weeks before hitting the links. If you really want to point at scoreboards, you can start with the one from last night, which is the only one that matters right about now.

For the record, “we” is anyone who thought, as I did, that the Bears came into the SB with an insurmountable weakness, despite a great defense and special teams. “We” fully expected Grossman to crap all over himself, despite the defense’s best efforts. Considering last night’s results, “we” were right.

If you’re going to come after the Kid, you’re going to have to come stronger than some chest-beating over a couple of regular-season games that you were supposed to win.

Manpon up, Son. Pitchers and catchers in a week and a half.

Kid from Brooklyn on February 5, 2007 at 9:35 AM

Even money on the Bears defense.

Lawrence on February 4, 2007 at 6:25 PM

I was wrong. Mark this on your calendars.

Gratz to the Colts, they did what they needed to do.

The best commercial in my opinion was the Bud-Lite commercial with the hitch hikers. I the opinion of my spouse, who does marketing for a living, this Bud-Lite commercial was also the best of the new commercials of this super-bowl.

Lawrence on February 5, 2007 at 9:36 AM

Looks like they had one of the GEICO cavemen doing the sideline reporting, oops, no that is Perky Katie. *shudder*

Neo on February 5, 2007 at 9:40 AM

Regarding the Prudential Commercial, and the NYT nonsense equating it with “a rock” with Iraq.

Pure Tinfoil Hat. This column reflects the epitome of blog-Trolling on a national media scale.

This column was published for no other reason than to see how tightly they could get all of us right-wingers spun off on some nonsense tangent.

Pure distraction. And it seems to be working.

Lawrence on February 5, 2007 at 9:45 AM

I don’t know about other areas of the country, but http://www.votevets.org ran and anti Bush/Iraq ad in the Washington DC area near the end of the 3rd quarter. Nothing subtle about it.

Course a quick google ties the group to moveon.org…

rbb on February 5, 2007 at 10:02 AM

Course a quick google ties the group to moveon.org…

rbb on February 5, 2007 at 10:02 AM

I was about to comment on the same thing. We happened to be at a party of about fifty or so people, it got a couple of snide comments. My husband, who happens to be a vet, was a tad pissed to see them claim to represent him, when he completely disagreed with their stance.

I wondered where they got the money to run the ad during the super bowl. :o/

Jewels on February 5, 2007 at 10:42 AM

I wondered where they got the money to run the ad during the super bowl. :o/

Jewels on February 5, 2007 at 10:42 AM

votevets.org ->moveon.org -> Soros is my guess.

rbb on February 5, 2007 at 10:48 AM

Re: Times article,

I just listened to the Prudential ad again, and they kept saying “Iraq” over and over again — oh wait, it’s “A rock” — sorry my bad — I guess you can hear whatever you want to here in these adds. . .

2klbofun on February 5, 2007 at 11:02 AM

Poor selection of commercials. Poor game, at least the first half. And Manning needs to start thinking about the dangers of over-exposure, he’s only what, 29 or 30?

Glad for him though. Guess if you’re gonna decide to develop a defense, this would be the time of year to do it.

honora on February 5, 2007 at 12:29 PM

I’m just enjoying the vitriol from the liberals reacting to the lifting up of the Lord during the post-game celebration on various message boards. All of that hate spewed by the very same people that supposedly tolerate others.

Benaiah on February 5, 2007 at 12:40 PM

Kid from Brooklyn on February 5, 2007 at 9:35 AM

Oooooooohhhhhhhh, Pa…… Pay……… (mmphhfff) Payt…… Payton Manning (HURL!).

Unngggghhhhhh, aaaaaaaaahhhhhh, (spit), (cough), (spit)…

That will teach me to start a drinking game……

PinkyBigglesworth on February 5, 2007 at 12:41 PM

Benaiah on February 5, 2007 at 12:40 PM

So who was the Lord betting on?

honora on February 5, 2007 at 12:45 PM

So who was the Lord betting on?

The Saints.

Slublog on February 5, 2007 at 1:01 PM

Did anybody else love the GM robot-dreaming-about-being-unemployed ad???

RushBaby on February 5, 2007 at 1:08 PM

The Saints.

Slublog on February 5, 2007 at 1:01 PM

I am quite mortified to admit I did not see that coming….

honora on February 5, 2007 at 1:54 PM

Did anybody else love the GM robot-dreaming-about-being-unemployed ad???

RushBaby on February 5, 2007 at 1:08 PM

I enjoyed it somewhat. In reality, though, the robot was muscled out by the UAW.

Kid from Brooklyn on February 5, 2007 at 3:01 PM

One of the commercials I really thought was funny and don’t see listed here or over at the Youtube ratings is the Damon Wade & Charles Barkely one.

“Is that your dad!?!”

My step-dad and I almost fell out of our seats laughing at that one.

Benaiah on February 5, 2007 at 5:15 PM

“Is that your dad!?!”

My step-dad and I almost fell out of our seats laughing at that one.

Benaiah on February 5, 2007 at 5:15 PM

Wasn’t “Super Bowl new”, either.

Kid from Brooklyn on February 5, 2007 at 5:44 PM

Ace has a great fisking of the NYT nimwit. It’s Ace, so content warning I guess.

billy on February 5, 2007 at 6:40 PM

The AAAA (ad assoc) had a link on their site with people voting for their fav. That one with the crabs worshipping at the cooler was the winner when I looked yesterday.

honora on February 6, 2007 at 9:56 AM