Pelosi wants military airlift

posted at 3:28 pm on February 2, 2007 by Bryan

Speaker Nancy Pelosi has, at long last, released details of her plan to redeploy the troops out of Iraq. She wants them to strategically redeploy to wherever she wants to go.

The office of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is pressing the Bush administration for routine access to military aircraft for domestic flights, such as trips back to her San Francisco district, according to sources familiar with the discussions.

The sources, who include those in Congress and in the administration, said the Democrat is seeking regular military flights not only for herself and her staff, but also for relatives and for other members of the California delegation. A knowledgeable source called the request “carte blanche for an aircraft any time.”

“They are pressing the point of her succession and that the [Department of Defense] needs to play ball with the speaker’s needs,” one source said. The request originally went to the Pentagon, which then asked the White House to weigh in.

Mrs. Pelosi’s request is not new for a speaker, who is second-in-line in presidential succession. A defense source said the speaker’s regular access to a military plane began after the September 11, 2001, attacks. Rep. J. Dennis Hastert, Illinois Republican, who was speaker at the time, started using U.S. Air Force planes for domestic travel to and from his district for security reasons. A former Hastert aide said the congressman did not use military planes for political trips or regularly transport his family.

Pelosi is one limousine liberal who doesn’t hate the military. Not when they make such excellent aerial chauffeurs.

Comments

I’m sure the AF has a C-130 or two that can be set aside just for her.

flipflop on February 2, 2007 at 3:33 PM

Pfft…C-130s are too useful. We’ll give her a broken C-5, since they’re based in her district.

James on February 2, 2007 at 3:35 PM

Pelosi wants military airanother facelift

RightWinged on February 2, 2007 at 3:36 PM

I’m sure the AF has a C-130 or two that can be set aside just for her.

flipflop on February 2, 2007 at 3:33 PM

My ears are still ringing after my last trip on one in 79.

She will get it. Who could deny the ultimate ‘mallbaby’ anything?

Limerick on February 2, 2007 at 3:36 PM

I’d like to see a few (R) senators vote to cut of her funding.

yo on February 2, 2007 at 3:37 PM

“off” that is.

yo on February 2, 2007 at 3:37 PM

The word Boondoggle comes to mind, for some reason, as well as a few nastier terms.

Lawrence on February 2, 2007 at 3:39 PM

When I get a reide in an f-16 or an f-22 raptor, then I’ll vote for her military transport. And then ONLY when the President and Vice-President are both out of the country at the same time should the speaker have that need.

Grandma Pelosi will abuse the crap out of every perk imaginable. Can you imagine? Remember all the grandkids? The circus acts of the vast Pelosi family travels will be never ending, and will surpass Gulliver in fantasy.

shooter on February 2, 2007 at 3:40 PM

My ears are still ringing after my last trip on one in 79.

My last flight on a C-130 was Baltimore to Rhein-Main AB, Germany. It took two days with a stop in the Azores. I vowed I’d never set foot on one again after that, and I haven’t.

flipflop on February 2, 2007 at 3:40 PM

Does it have to be a transport aircraft? I’m betting she’d fit into the bomb bay of a B-2 with room to spare.

SailorDave on February 2, 2007 at 3:41 PM

Oh my, another nightmare scenario… can you imagine her as speaker and hellary in the oval orafice? –

bathroom visit needed on my part, scuse me please, gotta go, in a hurry.

shooter on February 2, 2007 at 3:42 PM

*snicker* Put her whole family in the back seat of one of the decommisoned F-14′s. Besides pulling 9 G’s would save on botox.

LakeRuins on February 2, 2007 at 3:43 PM

Why am I reminded of Peter Schweizer’s book ‘Do as I say not as I do’? There is a whole chapter on her brazen hypocracy. And it doesn’t surprise me that someone who would be so self indulgent as to have dozens of face lifts would consider the people’s military to be personal slaves. She’ll probably have them out to her vineyards picking grapes before long.

pistolero on February 2, 2007 at 3:44 PM

Well, it beats a facelift.

bloggless on February 2, 2007 at 3:45 PM

I doubt she is talking about C-130′s or C-5′s folks. I am sure she is thinking about the C-21′s. It is a LearJet. Seats 5 I believe. THAT would be the aircraft she wants us to pay for.

mdconservative on February 2, 2007 at 3:46 PM

We could get ‘Bataan’ out of mothballs.

Limerick on February 2, 2007 at 3:46 PM

mdconservative, you read my mind. This is the plane he’s talking about, and that Pelosi probably has in mind. Not this.

Bryan on February 2, 2007 at 3:48 PM

Can’t she just ride her broom?

ReubenJCogburn on February 2, 2007 at 3:48 PM

Can’t she just ride her broom?

ReubenJCogburn on February 2, 2007 at 3:48 PM

ahahahaha… there’s the money shot!

SilverStar830 on February 2, 2007 at 3:50 PM

Let ‘er fly C-130′s.

They can shrinkwrap her onto a pallet and do an airdrop.

Simple as pie.

The Ugly American on February 2, 2007 at 3:51 PM

Typical political jerk, worrying about her perks instead of the needs of the country. Good lord these people make me sick.

rplat on February 2, 2007 at 3:51 PM

Maybe we could take profits from StarKist to help off set the cost?

Limerick on February 2, 2007 at 3:51 PM

Why don’t we just give her a decommissioned cargo jet from the boneyard at Davis Monthan AFB? Maybe a C-141 without engines? They could just lower the back ramp for her to give a speech out the back. That should be enough hot air to launch a Starlifter with a couple tanks onboard.

Tantor on February 2, 2007 at 3:55 PM

Pelosi wants military airlift

Blink once if you agree, twice if you don’t agree.

RightWinged on February 2, 2007 at 3:55 PM

When asked about the extra strain such flights would place on the crews of the military aircraft, Ms. Pelosi said “let them eat cake.”

thirteen28 on February 2, 2007 at 3:56 PM

How about a Patriot missle and a saddle?

RedWinged Blackbird on February 2, 2007 at 3:56 PM

A C-130? Heck, tell her she can have a C-150!!!

(C-150 is sometimes used to refer to a two-seater Cessna 150)

db on February 2, 2007 at 3:57 PM

Hey maybe Raytheon has a delivery system she could use! The launch would cure the facial problems but man … she’d need one hell of an ass job! >:)

AZPatriot on February 2, 2007 at 3:58 PM

Actually, DV pallets go on cargo aircraft…usually KC-10s, C-5s, and (if they’ve made the proper modifications since I heard of them being in widespread use) C-17s.

The C-21 is a tempting target with its ‘corporate jet’ look, and there are also some Gulfstreams in the inventory, but the real ‘royal treatment’ is aboard aircraft fitted with DV pallets.

It’s entirely possible she wants either or both.

James on February 2, 2007 at 3:59 PM

How about a Patriot missle and a saddle?

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

The Ugly American on February 2, 2007 at 3:59 PM

A San Franciso Democrat asking the military to provide transportation for her. Oh the irony.
When S.F. allows the ROTC back in, and they honor the military with some proclamations, then we let her ride a military plane.
Imagine yelling at a NY taxi cab driver, calling him un-american, an idiot, baby killer, murderer, traitor, unethical, and then asking him for a ride to the airport?
Gett outta hare!

right2bright on February 2, 2007 at 4:01 PM

If I see one more botoxed picture of her, I’m going to lose it!

PRCalDude on February 2, 2007 at 4:02 PM

She wants to use Military Aircraft?? Fine, let her. She can travel the same way Mil-Pers do… Space available on a pre-scheduled flight to the destination, strapped in a fold down seat along the side of the aircraft.

“Here’s your seat and your ear plugs Madame Speaker.”

MOMinuteman on February 2, 2007 at 4:04 PM

Well don’t that beat all? What a shocker. Of course she wants a military aircraft for her and her familia. I know she wants the Lear but I still ay C-130 and one that has to stop every 200 miles for some reason or another. That is a grand trip to take!

Catie96706 on February 2, 2007 at 4:06 PM

It’s entirely possible she wants either or both.

James on February 2, 2007 at 3:59 PM

Come on; we all know which aircraft she really wants.

rmgraha on February 2, 2007 at 4:09 PM

“but also for relatives and for other members of the California delegation”

I can understand ferrying Pelosi around as Speaker since she’s (ugh) in line for the Presidency, but relatives and delegation members? The corrupt will never change.

darwin on February 2, 2007 at 4:12 PM

Plus, wouldn’t any military aircraft approaching anywhere near San Fran risk being shot down?

darwin on February 2, 2007 at 4:13 PM

The defense source said Mr. Hastert requested a plane with good communications so he could conduct legislative business. The military flights increased to the point the speaker used a military plane for many, if not all, flights to his Illinois district, the former aide said.
Sources said Mrs. Pelosi’s request goes beyond what Mr. Hastert received. The speaker’s legal counsel is spearheading the talks.

Parliament Republic of whores, from both sides.

Entelechy on February 2, 2007 at 4:20 PM

Huh. I would have thought that all of the wind her eyelashes generate would give her enough lift, all she’d have to do is steer.

amerpundit on February 2, 2007 at 4:20 PM

Some Air Force pilot is going to get very rich off of this book deal.

Limerick on February 2, 2007 at 4:24 PM

Can’t she just ride her broom?

ReubenJCogburn on February 2, 2007 at 3:48 PM

Well of course she can.

Bugler on February 2, 2007 at 4:25 PM

National Guard wasn’t good enough. Pelosi needs Jefferson’s freezers airlifted from now on.

Terp Mole on February 2, 2007 at 4:29 PM

Doesn’t Star-Kist have a jet?

right2bright on February 2, 2007 at 4:32 PM

Some Air Force pilot is going to get very rich off of this book deal.

Limerick on February 2, 2007 at 4:24 PM

LOL , This sure made my day laffin at the truth of your comment, thanks

bones47 on February 2, 2007 at 4:33 PM

I think the request should come from the S.F. board of supervisors you know the ones who denounced the military.

Democrat San Francisco Supervisor Gerardo Sandoval, said “we don’t need the US Military” and “I am not in favor of a standing army.” Sandoval also said that the majority of his colleagues think and believe the same way. He and his “colleagues” want to do away with the US military — altogether. Sandoval said the local police and fire departments could handle attacks against his city.

There you go, let Pelosi walk, or let the fire dept. or police dept. drive her.

right2bright on February 2, 2007 at 4:42 PM

Pelosi is going to “support the troops” by commandeering some of their transportation assests for purposes other than war.

… why are we not surprised?

Pelosi, you are a hypocritical, lying, @#$&%.

Lawrence on February 2, 2007 at 4:45 PM

Sorry Bryan but is that a misquote. Should it be military facelift or airlift. Just making sure.

right2bright on February 2, 2007 at 4:45 PM

I say we give her a vintage Piper Cub and a user manual written in French.

x95b10 on February 2, 2007 at 4:58 PM

This is a perfect example of what the Liberal Democrats feel what our Military is good for…….

PinkyBigglesworth on February 2, 2007 at 4:59 PM

Pelosi wants military airlift

Well, you can want in one hand and turd in the other and see which fills up first…

NTWR on February 2, 2007 at 4:59 PM

Fine… But it comes out of HER budget only.

Suddenly… she doesn’t want it anymore…

Mazztek on February 2, 2007 at 5:06 PM

I vote we give her the C130, provided that she only exit the aircraft from the rear door — at 20,000 ft.

georgej on February 2, 2007 at 5:13 PM

This wouldn’t have something to do with her ethics reforms that just banned privately funded air travel? It would probably be unethical for her millionaire husband to foot the bill for flying her family around.

rw on February 2, 2007 at 5:14 PM

Let ‘er fly C-130’s.

They can shrinkwrap her onto a pallet and do an airdrop.

Simple as pie.

The Ugly American on February 2, 2007 at 3:51 PM

Not pumpkin pie…well maybe.

I vote we send her in a PT19, she can dust her grapes on the way home.

Speakup on February 2, 2007 at 5:16 PM

Hmmm….

Seems like we’d have to get permission from the People Republic of San Francisco to land there… seeing as how they don’t want the military there…

Romeo13 on February 2, 2007 at 5:20 PM

An aide to Mrs. Pelosi, who asked not to be named, confirmed yesterday that discussions are ongoing with the administration. “It would be done for security reasons,” said the aide, adding that the speaker has used military aircraft for at least one trip back to San Francisco.

Al Qaeda attacks on the U.S. changed the procedure in the case of the speaker.

This is a joke, right? Do they really think AQ would be stupid enough to attack one of their biggest supporters?

B Moe on February 2, 2007 at 5:28 PM

Mil-Pers do… Space available on a pre-scheduled flight to the destination

HA! Can you imagine Pelosi having to sit and wait for a Space-A flight? Yeah right! I am still trying to figure out why she needs the ability for anyone else than herself? They argue “it would be done for security reasons.” What? I thought we were all safe and it was just the administration trying to scare us.

mdconservative on February 2, 2007 at 5:48 PM

Considering the President’s current malaise and “Cave-in-itis”, Pelosi will more than likely get her wish.

The 89th MAW (Military Airlift Wing) on the west (Active Duty~Presidential) side of the base lives for DV (Distinguished Visitor) missions like Pelosi’s.

If the 89th is too busy, I’m sure that my AF Reserve unit on Andrews’ east side (459th Air Refueling Wing) would be eager to jump at the Pentagon funding to fly Nancy around in one of its upgraded KC-135s.

When my unit had C-141Bs, we did many, many missions shuttling Secret Service, limos and support equipment around for Bill and Hillary.

Jack.

Jack Deth on February 2, 2007 at 6:35 PM

What, she’s going to retire her broom?

retired on February 2, 2007 at 6:43 PM

This right of succession excuse is crap. She is just one representative in the house, out of 535(?). If something happened to her while flying, the house could just elect a new speaker and that individual would take office. Just another elitist snob that wants perks and doesn’t give a crap where it comes from.

still468 on February 2, 2007 at 6:54 PM

most ethical congress ever

nailinmyeye on February 2, 2007 at 7:52 PM

I was going to suggest Pelosi be restricted to C-47s, but I do like the PT-19 idea even better.

auzerais on February 2, 2007 at 9:03 PM

She wants military birds to ferry her around? Fine, but she gets a cargo bird with a good communications suite so she can work. If she’s tired, she can sleep on the baggage pallet (those things are remarkably comfortable). NO FAMILY OR HANGERS-ON! I honestly don’t object to the Speaker of the House using military aircraft (respect the office, not the office holder) especially if it’s so that she can continue to work while in the air (yes, I realize that’s not why she wants it, but I’m speaking from a hypothetical situation here). However, if she wants her family and staffers along, the only military aircraft she should see is a space A flight in the good ol’ vomit comet C-130.

Militant Bibliophile on February 2, 2007 at 9:15 PM

…yah, I remember the last time I was on a C130.

The steward poured luke warm espresso in my cup, the pillow was like way too stiff, the foie gras was terrible, and to top it all off, I had to get a second set of headphones ’cause the first pair didn’t work. You guys know what I mean. These are just some of the ammenities that were lavished upon us in the Military.

Mojave Mark on February 2, 2007 at 10:01 PM

Shoehorn her into a T-38 and give her a ride…

mojo on February 2, 2007 at 10:35 PM

Finally, she found something the military was useful for…. :rolleyes:

Tim Burton on February 2, 2007 at 10:50 PM

Eh, even if she flies those stupid lear jets, you know her bag -and-baggage is gonna commandeer a c-141, plus the extra one in case the first breaks down!

This kind of stuff is why my unit ended up having to squeeze into 6 different aircraft coming home, and several of us had to stay on active duty to get all our equipment that straggled back weeks later…

I say give her a C-5, that way, if it does manage to get airborne, she’ll breakdown somewhere in the midwest and be stuck for days!

RustMouse on February 3, 2007 at 12:36 AM

KC-135s are still flying. Heh.

baldilocks on February 3, 2007 at 2:38 AM

Can’t she just ride her broom?

ReubenJCogburn on February 2, 2007 at 3:48 PM

(Cue music)

da da da da daa da

The wicked witch of the west rides again!

LonelyMassRepublican on February 3, 2007 at 8:48 AM

RustMouse on February 3, 2007 at 12:36 AM

Yep. And I vouch that you are not making this up.

This is the kind of thing that really makes me despise hypocritical politicians like Pelosi.

Lawrence on February 3, 2007 at 9:12 AM

I say give her exactly what we gave Hastert, and not an iota more. We can’t justify giving her less no matter what her true attitude toward the military is, now that the precedent has been set.

James on February 3, 2007 at 10:40 AM

I’m quite sure she will be willing to re-pay the cost for any and all travelers other than herself… If only to be sure there are no taints of corruption in her culture.

Now, about the need for a color guard and band to always precede her playing the new tune “Hail to the Madam”.

Lamonte Thomas on February 3, 2007 at 11:12 AM

As long as she has to sit in those backwards facing seats with no windows, get served only the usual boxed ham and cheese sandwich, and suffer the cold of high altitude – sure, why not. Space A available. In fact, as a Democratic lowly humble Person of the People, I would think that she’d want it no other way.

Kevin R on February 3, 2007 at 12:23 PM

Everybody else seems to be scared to say it. I am not. ” Do not trust anybody, ANYBODY, that looks crossed eyed. Especially when they are attempting to explains something.

oldelpasoan on February 3, 2007 at 1:38 PM

She can fly in the last Herky Bird flight I took. No heat, and no facilities. Oh, the only seats are a cargo net.

Mooseman on February 3, 2007 at 6:05 PM

To transport the crowd she’s talking about, I’m sure she wants Condi’s C-32A (military version of the Boeing 757)…

Zorro on February 3, 2007 at 7:00 PM

The Speaker is most likely talking about C-20s and C-37s (GIII & GV), not C-21s or C-32s. However, that is not what the controversy is.

The controversy is her demanding that her family and staff also get privileges on these aircraft. If she is taking milair for security purposes, that is legitimate. But the military should not provide chauffeur services to her family, staff and pets. Where in the line of succession does her chief of staff fall?

cmay on February 3, 2007 at 7:45 PM