WaPo blogger to U.S. troops: Be thankful we don’t spit on you, mercenaries

posted at 7:00 pm on January 31, 2007 by Allahpundit

He supports — or rather, “indulges” — the troops, despite their raping and murdering and delusions about victory and youthful naivete. But they need to support him too by not expressing their opinions about what it means to “support the troops” because that makes him feel guilty about his defeatism.

Oh, and they’re also filthy mercenaries who are in it for the money and should be grateful they’re not being called baby-killers.

He’s writing about that NBC video that Bryan posted yesterday:

I’m all for everyone expressing their opinion, even those who wear the uniform of the United States Army. But I also hope that military commanders took the soldiers aside after the story and explained to them why it wasn’t for them to disapprove of the American people…

These soldiers should be grateful that the American public, which by all polls overwhelmingly disapproves of the Iraq war and the President’s handling of it, do still offer their support to them, and their respect.

Through every Abu Ghraib and Haditha ["Every"? -- ed.], through every rape and murder, the American public has indulged those in uniform, accepting that the incidents were the product of bad apples or even of some administration or command order.

Sure it is the junior enlisted men who go to jail, but even at anti-war protests, the focus is firmly on the White House and the policy. We just don’t see very man “baby killer” epithets being thrown around these days, no one in uniform is being spit upon.

[W]e support them in every possible way, and their attitude is that we should in addition roll over and play dead, defer to the military and the generals and let them fight their war, and give up our rights and responsibilities to speak up because they are above society?…

If I weren’t the United States [sic], I’d say the story end [sic] with a military coup where those in the know, and those with fire in their bellies, save the nation from the people.

But it is the United States and instead this NBC report is just an ugly reminder of the price we pay for a mercenary – oops sorry, volunteer – force that thinks it is doing the dirty work.

Exit question one: What does he have in mind when he describes the “obscene amenities” that are being provided to soldiers in Iraq? And exit question two: Who is William Arkin?

Update: Dan Riehl thinks he knows who Arkin is.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Well, the guy can not write and he sounds like an immigrant with bad speech problems. BUT he’s from VERMONT! and this…

Arkin cut his teeth with the lefty Institute for Policy Studies, and went from there to positions with Greenpeace, the Natural Resources Defense Council, and Human Rights Watch.

Just a lonely lefty whack job.

shooter on January 31, 2007 at 7:08 PM

This leftie argument just MAKES SO MUCH SENSE and seems so CLEAR – if you take the right drugs.

stonemeister on January 31, 2007 at 7:08 PM

whoooops, meant to included he seems to HIDE a whole lot. No wonder why.

shooter on January 31, 2007 at 7:09 PM

Check out the comments after the piece.

darwin on January 31, 2007 at 7:11 PM

Wow. I hadn’t seen such condescending MsM douchebaggery since Joel Stein decided to become the voice of the American Castrati.

Kid from Brooklyn on January 31, 2007 at 7:15 PM

Ungrateful b@st@rd.

Pardon my language.

Chad on January 31, 2007 at 7:17 PM

On a semi-related note: Jack Shafer in today’s Slate has an article calling the spitting upon of US servicemen during the Vietnam era a “myth.

armylawyer on January 31, 2007 at 7:18 PM

So liberals can condescend and insult and piss off the military yet when the military gets furious back the liberals get high and mighty and proclaim “dont act that way, we’ve caused your sins to be blown up further and if you get uppity we’ll revive the ‘baby killer’ quote!”

Liberal cause
Military respond
Liberal gets high and mighty

someone slap me

Defector01 on January 31, 2007 at 7:19 PM

Layers. Nuance.

Purple Avenger on January 31, 2007 at 7:20 PM

[W]e support them in every possible way…

Wrong…not even close. Constantly bitching and complaining about “civil war” when there isn’t one: moaning that “we’re losing” when we’re not; losing the will to see this through to a victorious end, minimizing our successes (the troops successes) and highlighting the difficulties to the nth degree is not supporting the troops. In short, all the uninformed and partisan dissent here, is encouraging the enemy over there. That is not supporting the troops. You are undermining them and their mission.

Mallard T. Drake on January 31, 2007 at 7:22 PM

Darwin — The comments made me feel better.

I don’t think Arkin can show his face in public now.

Mazztek on January 31, 2007 at 7:25 PM

The man is a fool and not worth the bandwidth. I bet they’re proud of him over at WaPo.

GT on January 31, 2007 at 7:38 PM

How dare any of our military personnel even mention the importance of support in war zone.

This guys selfish, be thankful I even care at all attitude just shows this guys true color-yellow.

Speakup on January 31, 2007 at 7:40 PM

Mazztek, the comments that are on their recently do not make me feel better. They are from a bunch of self-absorbed idiots who want the Soldiers to be quiet as well. I cannot understand these people but I guess the live in a different world then I do.
I’m sure they are proud of him over at WaPo-idiots.

Catie96706 on January 31, 2007 at 7:40 PM

What a piece of excrement. He’s a sickening, cowardly waste of skin

Zorro on January 31, 2007 at 7:44 PM

WaPo needs to run an apology after crap like that. Where in the hell do they get these people?

d1carter on January 31, 2007 at 7:45 PM

Well this guy just made himself the hero of the tinfoil hat brigades. “He stood up to the MAN!” “He stood up to the no-neck mercenaries!” “He’ll be the new Al Franken!”

Iblis on January 31, 2007 at 7:46 PM

Now can we question their patriotism?

Capitalist Infidel on January 31, 2007 at 7:47 PM

Iblis

you forgot speaking truth to power

what a jabroni

Defector01 on January 31, 2007 at 7:48 PM

Another tool that takes no actual risks, frothing at his betters who would never stoop to giving him his well-deserved comeuppance. God it must so suck being him.

bbz123 on January 31, 2007 at 7:48 PM

shooter on January 31, 2007 at 7:08 PM

Never heard of this clown, but I’ll take your word for it that he’s from VT. We’ve got it all! Probation for guys who molest 4 year old boys! 60 days for guys who rape little girls for 4 years starting when they’re 6! Howard Dean! Byaaaaaaaah! Civil Unions (beat everyone to it!)! We bring you the only elected (admitted) Socialist! Remember that lady that flipped out on the plane sometime last year, had matches, a screwdriver, and peed in the aisle? Vermont! Highest taxes per capita in the nation? Vermont! Yeah… we’re the best.

RightWinged on January 31, 2007 at 7:49 PM

by the way, this guy is taking a beating in his own comments.

RightWinged on January 31, 2007 at 7:51 PM

I just noticed in the comment section that someone has posted his email address…Hmmmm

d1carter on January 31, 2007 at 7:52 PM

This guy used to be on MSNBC all the time, saying pretty much the same things. Although MSNBC always presented him as a non-partisan “military analyst”.

Scot on January 31, 2007 at 7:53 PM

When I read this, I thought, how nice of that vile sack of guano to extend the 1st Amendment to those who guarantee it for him. That’s further than most of these leftists go. But then he takes it right back – you can have an opinion, as long as it doesn’t criticize the American people me and my treasonous bile spewing leftist buddies.

I nominate this guy for a Walter Duranty award – and if the award doesn’t exist, we should create it.

Laura on January 31, 2007 at 7:55 PM

That bum is a piece of crap and wouldn’t make a pimple on the backside of our brave soldiers.

rplat on January 31, 2007 at 7:56 PM

I support the dupes./leftist

Can the left please come to terms with their hypocrisy if only for their (and our) mental well-being?

aengus on January 31, 2007 at 7:58 PM

Soldiers have every right to question the “American people” . . . they too are they “American people”. Only a moron would make such a comment.

rplat on January 31, 2007 at 7:58 PM

Whole new levels of sneering condescension. Surely he’ll be on with Keith Olberdunce soon. I question both his patriotism and sanity.

JammieWearingFool on January 31, 2007 at 7:59 PM

Selected comments about the dreck this moron wrote:

Wow! I have never known a bigger sack of crap than you. Seriously, would you please move to another country. You are the what every American loathes the most. A egotistical self indulged journalist with a personal opinion. Which in my opinion isn’t really a journalist at all. Don’t lecture nobody about how the troops have it to good. Go crawl in a hole.

and this strong response:

You spineless sack of crap. You get to spew your ill informed opinion in the pages of this pathetic excuse for a newspaper and then you advocate the idea that soldiers–the people who fight and die to give you the right to spew your unintelligible garbage–should not have the First Amendment right to tell you that your position is wrong.

You are a hypocrite, coward, moron and nothing would please me more than to hear of your death.

And these are some of the nicer ones!

georgej on January 31, 2007 at 8:00 PM

One less BDS-afflicted moonbat to slap around.
Molly Ivins Dies of Cancer at 62.

JammieWearingFool on January 31, 2007 at 8:02 PM

Liberals often think of themselves as true altruist in context of throwing themselves in front of the camera for a worth cause. Like assaulting Soldiers with their spittle.

Ironically, the only true altruists in this scenario are the Soldiers who voluntarily throw themselves in front of the bullets aimed at those same liberals.

Lawrence on January 31, 2007 at 8:13 PM

So, we pay the soldiers a decent wage, take care of their families, provide them with housing and medical care and vast social support systems and ship obscene amenities into the war zone for them, we support them question their CIC in every possible way, and their attitude is that we should in addition roll over and play dead support them, defer to the military and the generals and let them fight their war, and give up preserve our rights and responsibilities to speak up because they are above society willing to sacrifice their lives for our liberty and free speech?blockquote>

Fixed it fer ya, Arkin.

fogw on January 31, 2007 at 8:14 PM

Now can we question their patriotism?

Capitalist Infidel on January 31, 2007 at 7:47 PM

Not yet, we are questioning the obvious stupidity. When he goes beyond this by creating scenarios that do not exist like the General’ case, we can begin to wonder whether he was installed by a rogue nation.

Ouabam on January 31, 2007 at 8:24 PM

look at it this way, no matter how much we’ve come to expect it from progressives, it’s better to not be lied to.

here’s a video with another uncharictaristicly un-mealy-mouthed progressive…

jummy on January 31, 2007 at 8:25 PM

And exit question two: Who is William Arkin?

An ingrate Schwein who has the same freedom of speech and right to vote, as you and I, and no comprehension of what he wrote or believes.

But he believes in freedom, of all sorts…for himself and his lot of the American people, without a grasp of where it comes from.

As my father used to say “Earth, why don’t you open up and swallow this…”

Entelechy on January 31, 2007 at 8:25 PM

This was beyond belief.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on January 31, 2007 at 8:26 PM

The title of my post expresses my assessment of this little sh1t as well: “It’s called gonad envy.” I don’t remember a thing in the enlistment contract I signed 37 years ago about waiving my First Amendment rights and I haven’t heard anything about any changes. I guess when you don’t have what it takes to be a real man all that’s left is to try to drag down those who do. It’s beginning to smell way to much like the ’60s again.

bdfaith on January 31, 2007 at 8:27 PM

Arkin is an absolute jacka$$.

CP on January 31, 2007 at 8:31 PM

It’s called Gonad Envy.

bdfaith on January 31, 2007 at 8:38 PM

Ouch what searing rebuttles he recieved in return. I love the internets. In your face Arkin. I’ll just print out the article and file it under F-for flush WOOOsh!!! Whoops that was the bidet!

sonnyspats1 on January 31, 2007 at 8:39 PM

This goes beyond BDS into something very dark. Hopefully, William Arkin never needs a “mercenary” to come to his aid.

MCPO Airdale on January 31, 2007 at 8:40 PM

Lefty bloggers, this is who you are choosing to help you decide how to run the country. This person will not be kicked around by the left, only the right will shine a light on these idiots. Lefties, this is who you are marching forward with. This is the democratic party.

right2bright on January 31, 2007 at 8:43 PM

I read the first 25 comments and skimmed some the rest to find just one supporting him, but then I gave up. Of course, that very disapproval is just more evidence that he’s right! Otherwise why would all those people be so upset?

Jim Treacher on January 31, 2007 at 8:59 PM

Skim over what the WAPO turd wrote, then read the comments: over a hundred people tear him a new one….

Janos Hunyadi on January 31, 2007 at 9:05 PM

Someone should remind him that being a member of the military does not relieve you of the right to free speech. I find it hilarious when liberal pussies think they somehow have any power over the military. If the military gets pissed off they could level the entire country and there would be nothing they could do about it except beg for mercy.

Darth Executor on January 31, 2007 at 10:12 PM

Here is William Arkin’s email address and phone number:

Who here though it was just peachy that MM’s address and phone number got posted by some leftist asshats? Yeah, that’s what I thought.

If you want to give that schmuck a piece of your mind, use the comments section on his post, or contact WAPO to complain about him. But posting his personal info is just wrong.

Laura on January 31, 2007 at 10:17 PM

[W]e support them in every possible way

Well, except for the “support” part, in any way that actually matters. What a prissy, ungrateful little sh*t. F*cking liberals–if they aren’t going to be part of the solution–and that much is clear–would it be too much to expect that they at least not be part of the problem? Like it’s not hard enough on morale knowing that a third of Americans are rooting for us to fail in Iraq, and have been doing everything in their power since the war began to obstruct and undermine the war effort. And then in November the American public, in a giant one finger salute to our servicemembers, put those same treasonous f*cks in power. So not only do the troops have to worry about terrorists in front of them, they’ve got Democrats behind them who can’t wait to cut them off at the f*cking knees. How dare those “baby-killing mercenaries” not be ecstatic at that state of affairs, and express their opinions?

I think we should drop this Arkin maggot into Iraq or Afghanistan, just to give him a chance to enjoy the “obscene amenities”. Parachute optional.

ReubenJCogburn on January 31, 2007 at 10:17 PM

Here is William Arkin’s email address and phone number:

Who here though it was just peachy that MM’s address and phone number got posted by some leftist [expletive deleted to get through the spam filter]? Yeah, that’s what I thought.

Laura on January 31, 2007 at 10:18 PM

But posting his personal info is just wrong.

His comment has been deleted.

Allahpundit on January 31, 2007 at 10:19 PM

I cant get this pricks words out of my mind. like…

But I also hope that military commanders took the soldiers aside after the story and explained to them why it wasn’t for them to disapprove of the American people.

AND this is just too far out there for humankind to grasp.

My, the outrage this moron can stir up in me… Sir, climb back under your rock, please.

shooter on January 31, 2007 at 10:24 PM

Who is William Arkin?

A better question would be who the hell is William Arkin?

Also, I write fiction as a hobby, for my own benefit. Needless to say, if I ever wrote something that looked like that (content aside, I’m talking about grammar), I would be ashamed. The second to last paragraph is totally incomprehensible! And that might even be the best part.

Wolfman on January 31, 2007 at 11:06 PM

Who the hell does this guy think he is? Must be a graduate of the Joel Stein School of Yellow Journalism.

jaleach on January 31, 2007 at 11:14 PM

One less BDS-afflicted moonbat to slap around.
Molly Ivins Dies of Cancer at 62.
JammieWearingFool on January 31, 2007 at 8:02 PM

C’mon jammie, this is just plain wrong also. UBL and his ilk ok, but a woman with cancer? Nope, not even towards a little shrub like ivins.

shooter on January 31, 2007 at 11:14 PM

I agree. I’m not going to wish a cancer death on anyone–not when my own mother died from lung, bone, and brain cancer last August.

But I will throw this quote in about Ivins:

Born Mary Tyler Ivins in California, she grew up in Houston. She graduated from Smith College in 1966 and attended Columbia University’s journalism school. She also studied for a year at the Institute of Political Sciences in Paris.

California? Columbia University? PARIS? In what way is she Texan? She’s as Texan as I am (I’ve never been there). Obviously, a moonbat found a “funny” way to sell her moonbat ideas. This is the only way the MSM would worship someone from “out in the sticks”.

jaleach on January 31, 2007 at 11:23 PM

Blackfive is dropping the F-bombs….

Tim Burton on January 31, 2007 at 11:37 PM

I believe I predicted this is what would happen after NBC aired the piece. It was simply aired so the far left psychos could say, “The troops started it” and finally let fly what’s really on their minds.

Editor on February 1, 2007 at 12:03 AM

I’d like to soak Little Billy in some chum and “spit” him over the side of boat in shark-infested waters.

Wow! Even them Mr. Arkin? Aww, gee that’s sweet of ya’!

Scumbag.

Teddy on February 1, 2007 at 1:05 AM

Blackfive is dropping the F-bombs….

Tim Burton on January 31, 2007 at 11:37 PM

Yeah, that’s an unfortunate tendency some of us have when we encounter vermin like this Arkin prick.

ReubenJCogburn on February 1, 2007 at 1:06 AM

They are still hammering him in the comments, but this one really stuck out (it’s very long, this is an excerpt):

I am tired of seeing Infantry Soldiers conducting what amounts to “SWAT” raids and performing the US Army’s version of “CSI Iraq” and doing things like filling out forms for evidence when they could be better used to hunt and kill the enemy.

I am tired of senior officers and commanders who look first in their planning for how many casualties we might take, instead of how many enemy casualties we might inflict.

I am tired of begging to be turned loose so that this war can be over.

Those of us who fight this war want to win it and go home to their families. Prolonging it with attempts to do things like collect “evidence” or present whiz bang briefings on a new plasma screen TV is wasteful and ultimately, dulls the edge of our Infantry soldiers who are trained to kill people and break things, not necessarily in that order.

We are not in Iraq and Afghanistan to build nations. We are there to kill our enemies. We make the work of the State Department easier by the results we achieve.

It is only possible to defeat an enemy who kills indiscriminately by utterly destroying him. He cannot be made to yield or surrender. He will fight to the death by the hundreds to kill only one or two of us.

And so far, all of our “games” have been “away games,” and I don’t know about the ignorant, treasonous Democrats and the completely insane radical leftists and their thoughts on the matter, but I would like to keep our road game schedule.

So let’s get it done. Until the fight is won and there is no more fight left.

Posted by: A soldier | January 31, 2007 11:36 PM

Laura on February 1, 2007 at 1:19 AM

I just im’d this link to my husband who has now been in Iraq for 13 months and he im’d back the fact that he has had Soldiers under his command who get food stamps & hubby would like some of those great give aways their supposed to be getting over there. Supposedly this Arkin guy was a Cpt. in the US Army. I doubt he really was but whatever he was he was probably lousy at it. Hubby wants some great give aways that Arkin is talking about. Hubby is also tired of fighting a PC war and a war here at home with clowns like this guy and the MSM. I am tired of “heroes” like the idiot ehren watada getting all the press and those few idiots at abu grahib as well. How many Americans can tell you who won the Medal of Honor but can tell you who that bioch Lindsey England is? It’s partially our fault I guess. Maybe we don’t speak up loud enough. Reading some of those comments are enough to make one sick. One said that they deserved censure and to be spat upon for fighting a “neocon war” some named Hades. I would love to know what he does so I can spit at him for the career he chose. Enough I guess, I need to get to bed. Good night to all who truly support the troops and F bombs to all those who don’t & to the libs who are SINOs.

Catie96706 on February 1, 2007 at 2:11 AM

I’d be willing to do jail for misdemeanor assault in his case !!!

USA, all the way!

ValhallaMike on February 1, 2007 at 2:42 AM

That is …. I’d happily kick Arkin’s teeth in if he ever came near me!!!

USA, all the way!

ValhallaMike on February 1, 2007 at 2:43 AM

The media and Democrats are war profiteers. They are using the war as a means to gain political power. They know why we’re fighting the Islamic fascists, and they are working to gain power by attacking us while we fight the enemy.

As they gain more power, they will become more aggresive in attacking capitalism (i.e. freedeom) and the military.

Jason on February 1, 2007 at 6:57 AM

After reading the original article, the comments to it there, the comments here, at Blackfive, and elsewhere, and taking into consideration the incident concerning Josh Sparling, I have come to the reluctant conclusion that the LEFT has decided that they can, with impunity, not only defame soldiers, but physically assault them as well.

The left (not us) is escalating into actual violence now, violence towards our soldiers and marines, wounded or whole, just as they did during the Vietnam War.

The LEFT has turned the corner from giving “lip service” support, towards outright hostility and hate spewing towards our military.

I saw returning soldiers from Vietnam spit on at Ohare and being called names a lot worse than “babykiller.” And I see the same pattern developing from the disloyal left.

IMHO, it is time to “push back.” It is time to let the Arkins and the Code Pinkers of the left know that the minute they start assaulting the troops, calling the babykillers and rapists (as Arkin does), that this is the minute that they opened a jar of whoop-ass. I think that moment is quickly coming, if it already hasn’t happened.

America has had a history of dealing with obnoxious people. At the turn of the 19th Century, men who offended others would have to defend their remark with their lives. The Hamilton-Burr duel comes to mind. Tar and feathering was another favorite method of dealing with crooks and other obnoxious types. As late as the early 20th Century, you could find yourself in a fist fight if you said the wrong thing to a person.

There is a concept that describes this. It is called “fighting words.” Fighting words are

…those which by their very utterance inflict injury or tend to incite an immediate breach of the peace. It has been well observed that such utterances are no essential part of any exposition of ideas, and are of such slight social value as a step to truth that any benefit that may be derived from them is clearly outweighed by the social interest in order and morality.

– Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire, 1942

There have been several court decisions subsequent to this have have tightened the legal definition, but the gist of is that there is speech that can an immediately incite a breach of the peace, and that such speech is not protected speech.

I believe that Arkin’s column are “fighting words.” I believe that the actions of the antiwar protesters towards Sparling were “fighting words,” as well as criminal assault.

I believe that being a witness to an assault (such as spitting at or on) a soldiers goes beyond fighting words, and is criminal assault, and that it is our duty as freedom loving Americans and supporters of are armed forces, to intervene.

I do believe in free speech. I wouldn’t be here expressing my opinions if I didn’t.

But, speech such as Arkin’s, and the actions of the antiwar crowd towards Sparling and other veterans since the GWOT began in 2001, IS NOT PROTECTED by the Constitution, and their utterance or actions has created a climate that will result in a breach of the peace. Not only physical assault, but (in Arkin’s case), “fighting words.”

I believe that we have now reached the point where people like us who support the troops and their mission, are going to have to intervene and put the spitters and the Arkin’s in their place.

I have already openly stated that should I witness someone spitting on veteran, that I would physically intervene. I repeat this promise because the act of spitting is a physical assault, and the childish name calling (babykiller, rapist, etc.) constitutes “fighting words.”

If we want to stop this escalation of violence — entirely being perpetrated by the left, today, and by no one else — the people issuing the “fighting words” and committing the physical assaults are going to have to be hurt. And by “hurt” I mean socially, economically, criminally, and possibly even physically, if is is called for in cases where the troops are themselves assaulted.

Remember, “fighting words” are NOT CONSTITUTIONALLY protected speech. The fact that the overwhelming response to Arkin’s column is extremely negative is a strong indication that Arkin, though his article, issued “fighting words.” Should he be physically assaulted (which I doubt will happen and do not condone), a defense could be based upon “fighting words” especially if his denigration of the troops is part of a pattern of behavior. He certainly can be “scorned” as is being done now (at Hot Air) and at WaPo.

For example, his name could go up on billboards near his home identifying him as a liberal commentator who HATES the troops and wishes them ill, documented by several selected quotes from this article. And no doubt there are other actions that can be undertaken that will get the point across that Arkin not only crossed the line but he stirred up a hornet’s nest, one whose end goal is his journalistic scalp. I can envisioning picketing his home. Leaving chalk grafitti on his sidewalk or nearby walls. Flyers with his picture and an explanation of exactly how he insulted the troops.

I can see picketing his office, picketing him at the when he goes to a restaurant, to the store, or anywhere else he goes.

It is time for those of us who really support the troops to announce a position of zero tolerance to insulting the troops or actually assaulting them.

We are going to have to “get in their face” when they try such stunts again. Otherwise, THEY WILL BE EMBOLDENED TO CONTINUE their behavior. They must know that free speech DOES have limits, and that we consider those limits to be breached when returning soldiers and marines are openly insulted or physically assaulted. Then we need to enforce it.

My 2 cent suggestion for dealing with this piece of liberal trash.

georgej on February 1, 2007 at 7:35 AM

Gee, I thought he sounded so bright, articulate…..so clean.

Pauls’ Uncle – “He’s a clean man.”

Coronagold on February 1, 2007 at 8:00 AM

The Washington Post takes a left-wing, anti-American, anti-military guy and makes him “National Security Reporter.”

The only thing that is going to get through to these people is if you cancel your Washington Post subscription. I did about two years ago and ordered the Washington Times, and I haven’t stop receiving questionaires in the mail from the Post about why I canceled. It really bugs them when they lose money. Yet they don’t seem to care much about capitalism or troops that support our freedom and way of life.

Every blue moon they will run a conservative/moderate story to attempt to hide their bias, but they are just as left-wing as the New York Times.

The problem is: Many people will not cancel their subscriptions because of the coupons and sports section in the Post. So this liberal trash continues.

januarius on February 1, 2007 at 8:26 AM

I did manage to find one in the comments who agreed with him:

I agree with this blog. Bill Arkin hits it right on the money with his port. That said, I feel nothing over the death of merceneries. They aren’t in Iraq because of orders, or because they are there trying to help the people make Iraq a better place. They are there to wage war for profit. Screw them.

Obama 2008. The Democratic revolution is here and now!

Kos

Posted by: Markos Moulitsas Zúniga | February 1, 2007 03:55 AM

serpentineshel on February 1, 2007 at 9:34 AM

I tried to take the link out..but couldn’t..darn it. Didn’t want to send anyone there!

serpentineshel on February 1, 2007 at 9:37 AM

“But I also hope that military commanders took the soldiers aside after the story and explained to them why it wasn’t for them to disapprove of the American people…”

No doubt that if the soldiers disapproved of their COC and their mission, Mr. Arkin would be outraged if their commanders tried to stifle their free expression.

Dear Democrats: This pathetic, irrational a-hole is what your base is comprised of now. You should have marginalized them when you had the chance.

lauraw on February 1, 2007 at 9:45 AM

Arkin is swine that has neither known honor nor sacrifice.

He is the type who hurls insults from a point of safety and scuttles under a rock with insect like precision when faced with danger.

He will never know the concept of being part of something larger than himself or the unvarnished bravery of standing shoulder to shoulder with your comrade.

Arkin has a dead soul. His soul has atrophied and died because he never fed it with duty, courage or any real tangible conviction.

That said, he is also a jackass that I would love to dentally rearrange.

Trooper on February 1, 2007 at 9:46 AM

This man openly insults and degrades the military. He is calling the military hired killers. He states the members of the military should not be allowed to respond to any criticisms. And yet he says he supports and respects them.

If that’s whathis man calls support and respect, then I, as a former member of the Army, say: To hell with you and your support, Mr. Arkin!

RedinBlueCounty on February 1, 2007 at 10:05 AM

It’s satisfying, but useless, to tell Arkin what he is. Coming from us, it’s high praise. He’s got what he wanted – plenty of lefty creds, and plenty of traffic.

However, if you’d like to contact the advertisers on Arkin’s blog, I’ve compiled their contact info (which was made publicly available on their business websites) info with links here.

I also made the code available if you want to post it on your blogs to spread the word.

Laura on February 1, 2007 at 10:28 AM

This asshat is also the author of a book called Code Names. Two quotes from the site hawking his book:

…the U.S. government argues for massive amounts of funding and resources, while at the same time claiming that public accountability would compromise their missions. Arkin didn’t accept this argument during the Cold War – when he published two books that revealed U.S. nuclear “secrets” and led directly to a healthier public discussion of a “nuclear warfighting” emerging in the Reagan era – and he is challenging it again today.

Code Names offers stunning revelations and its publication is sure to cause a major stir. But Arkin knows where to draw the line. The information in his book will not jeopardize individuals or operations. His intention is to inform the debate and to give people information they ought to have. Arkin has written Code Names firm in the belief that an informed citizenry is a prerequisite to wise decision-making by world leaders.

(All emphasis above is mine.) Click the link – there is so much more.

So, not only is he an unadulterated jackass who figuratively spits on our proud military, but he has also decided that he – and he alone – is qualified to make judgments about what we and the rest of the world need to know about the inner workings of our defense and intelligence departments. What does it take in today’s day and age to charge someone with treason? Isn’t revealing classified secrets enough? Oh, yeah… I forgot…

lan astaslem on February 1, 2007 at 10:29 AM

A journalist hero of mine was trying to meet a deadline for his column and the compositor asked him how much more he had to go. The journalist looked at the Johnnie Walker Red bottle and said, “About an inch.” That might be Arkin’s best defense.

mymanpotsandpans on February 1, 2007 at 10:45 AM

It’s getting pretty wild out there. We must be at the final chapter of the Liberal Anti-Vietnam play book, “Turn On The Americans In Uniform”.

Hening on February 1, 2007 at 11:16 AM

Dear Mr. Maggotload Pinko,

Be thankful a MARINE hasn’t ripped out your friggin’ TONGUE YET, so you CAN STILL SPIT anything but your own teeth, you UNGRATEFUL SCUM.

MOST sincerely,
The Beloved Wife of a US MARINE

seejanemom on February 1, 2007 at 11:33 AM

I’m starting to think that it’s a crying shame that when I was defending this country, I couldn’t have just helpfully provided our enemies with a list of people who didn’t want my defense – and who I would not be defending.

That way, everyone would be happy right? The bad guys could kill dirtbags like this guy, I could have concentrated on protecting Americans who actually appreciated me and wanted my protection, and the (now dead) neo-lib nutcake could rot in Hell, happy that us babykillers hadn’t had to rape and murder in his name …

Come to think of it … can’t we just get these people on a list and send the list to Osama? Let’s face it – Osama hates guys like this one way, way more than he hates me. And liberals are always telling us to “dialogue” with the terrorists.

I’m all for it. Maybe we can trade. A list of Americans we don’t mind if they blow up … and they give up their nuke ambitions.

Everyone would be happy. That’s it, I’m running in ’08.

Professor Blather on February 1, 2007 at 11:35 AM

Arkin is just saying what the Left is thinking. They despise the military but they have learned from the Vietnam protests that saying so doesn’t sell their message. So they have rebranded their message into a phony pose of loving the troops but hating the war. However, that bogus lefty “love” for the troops is never translated into action. Now and then, they drop the mask and vent their ignorant rage at the military as Arkin does in the Washington Post. I welcome the honesty.

Tantor on February 1, 2007 at 11:38 AM

Tantor:

Good point. I actually appreciate it when liberals just open their big dumb mouths and speak the unvarnished truth.

It’s the quiet clever ones that worry me. Guys like this are important, because they reveal what liberalism actually is.

In that respect, he’s almost as helpful as Mr. Clean Articulate Biden.

Professor Blather on February 1, 2007 at 11:40 AM