Video: Bill Gates causes error when leaving Daily Show

posted at 1:31 pm on January 31, 2007 by Ian

It’s funny because it’s true:

Comments

What? They couldn’t just soft boot him?

tickleddragon on January 31, 2007 at 1:48 PM

Bill Gates is the richest man in the freakin’ universe. He can do whatever he wants.

aero on January 31, 2007 at 1:50 PM

(Clever and funny follow-up, though.)

aero on January 31, 2007 at 1:51 PM

Am I the only one who notices that Gates never ages……

honora on January 31, 2007 at 1:55 PM

honora, he doesn’t.

amerpundit on January 31, 2007 at 1:57 PM

The picture of Dorian Gates

Kini on January 31, 2007 at 1:58 PM

“True” because the holy purity of the beautiful, invulnerable, and awesome Mac used by Rush Limbaugh cannot be questioned or “true” because some feel they have to defend their purchase of $1000 computers that does e-mail, blogs, stores digital music, and video edits right out of the box just like every $499 PC at Wal-Mart does?

ScottMcC on January 31, 2007 at 2:00 PM

Funny!

Malpaso on January 31, 2007 at 2:01 PM

Am I the only one who notices that Gates never ages……

honora on January 31, 2007 at 1:55 PM

No, your primitive earth technology is but childs play for those such as the B’ill Gat’es.

The B’ill Gat’es is of a long lived species not indigenous to the dirtball you call a planet.

Meatbag.

Jones Zemkophill on January 31, 2007 at 2:01 PM

The picture of Dorian Gates

Kini on January 31, 2007 at 1:58 PM

He could’ve had it painted a little less geeky.

James on January 31, 2007 at 2:02 PM

He could’ve had it painted a little less geeky.

James on January 31, 2007 at 2:02 PM

Worked for Revenge of the Nerds

Kini on January 31, 2007 at 2:05 PM

He doesn’t appear to age because he has ALWAYS had that really bad haircut. A more important question is why is a man that has billions and billons (my apologies, Carl Sagan) of dollars at his disposal unable to get a good haircut?

CyberCipher on January 31, 2007 at 2:08 PM

ScottMcC on January 31, 2007 at 2:00 PM

BOO YAH!

Jones Zemkophill on January 31, 2007 at 2:11 PM

Every once in a while, John Stewart makes me laugh. Not often. Extremely rarely, in fact, but it does happen.

JinxMcHue on January 31, 2007 at 2:12 PM

just like every $499 PC at Wal-Mart does?

ScottMcC

BOO YAH!

Jones Zemkophill

You missed some things your PC does, in fact, do better than my mac. Namely, collecting spyware, viruses, and pop-ups. Good work, though.

mattshu on January 31, 2007 at 2:21 PM

BOO YAH!

Jones Zemkophill on January 31, 2007 at 2:11 PM

I like this one better.

Warning Strong Language.

kiakjones on January 31, 2007 at 2:22 PM

Anyone ever see that interview with BG and the creator of the Ctrl-Alt-Del function? He made a joke that he created it (Ctrl-Alt-Del) but Bill and Windows perfected the use of it. Very funny however Bill’s face looked like he wanted to rip the guy a new one and the laughter died very fact.

x95b10 on January 31, 2007 at 2:28 PM

mattshu on January 31, 2007 at 2:21 PM

If Macs were as popular as you seem to want them to be, then the script-kiddies and serious virus programmers would be targeting Macs instead of PCs.

It’s not superiority that keeps you safe, it’s unpopularity.

James on January 31, 2007 at 2:30 PM

Funny Tks Ian.

sonnyspats1 on January 31, 2007 at 2:32 PM

A story about Mr. Gates:

An associate of mine got to visit his estate to discuss a proposal to perfrom some architectural repair work. Security was extremely tight. She was only allowed to photograph details up close; no wide shots of the buildings (she did get one of his putting green to show me). When she left, security reviewed the photos on her camera to make sure they were “acceptable.” She said there were people there who’s job it was to follow groups around and sweep up any dirt or debris and mop up any water that was dripped out of the pool. Just cuz when you have money, you can have that level of service in your life.

Mallard T. Drake on January 31, 2007 at 2:32 PM

Gates is a Cylon..

Viper1 on January 31, 2007 at 2:35 PM

It’s not superiority that keeps you safe, it’s unpopularity.

James on January 31, 2007 at 2:30 PM

A. who cares why I don’t have to worry about malware, but I don’t have to worry about malware.

B. This “security through obscurity” myth that PC heads use to make themselves feel better is just that-a myth.

Do you actually think malware writers haven’t heard of macs?
Imagine the celebrity would they gain by being the first to spread a virus on OS X.

mattshu on January 31, 2007 at 2:41 PM

He doesn’t age because he’s always looked like a young little old man.

I sat in the front row of a big technology conference he addressed in San Diego, a few years ago. He was very late, due to commercial plane problems and lamented that that was the day he wished he had owned a plane. Apparently he flies coach, asks only for water and uses the laptop incessantly.

As a speaker, he was extremely uncomfortable with himself, felt inadequate being there, though his knowledge of the topic was superb, of course. He shifted from one leg to the other, didn’t know what to do with his hands and all around just wanted to get out of there.

I lived/worked in Redmond, Wash. for 5 years and the area is laden with Gates legends/stories. One is that he has interests in medical- and bio-technologies and researches those as a hobby, including when he goes to the movies alone, forgets to move forward in line, until others nudge him ahead.

On the haircut – CyberCipher, he probably doesn’t even know that he has hair…and doesn’t have to.

I like best that he is a Yale drop-out.

Entelechy on January 31, 2007 at 2:48 PM

mattshu on January 31, 2007 at 2:21 PM

yeah… congrats. really.

CONTENT WARNING: LANGUAGE

Jones Zemkophill on January 31, 2007 at 2:59 PM

i’ll be sticking with xp until two days before they stop supporting it.

jummy on January 31, 2007 at 3:00 PM

i’ll be sticking with xp until two days before they stop supporting it.

jummy on January 31, 2007 at 3:00 PM

LOL, or until Microsoft comes out with Service Pack 10 for Vista.

kiakjones on January 31, 2007 at 3:05 PM

I like best that he is a Yale drop-out.

Entelechy on January 31, 2007 at 2:48 PM

Harvard I think. Same difference.

honora on January 31, 2007 at 3:08 PM

UNIX / Mac OS X is simply a superior underlying framework on which to build a great platform. UNIX is time tested, and has evolved in to a very stable and mature code base. Microsoft will always be playing catch-up. And their whole philosophy is to embrace and extend vs. really coming up with superior and original computing technology.

JeffB. on January 31, 2007 at 3:08 PM

Last time I checked (which was, admittedly, a while back), not all of the best computer games are released for Macs.

That, in and of itself, is reason enough for me to not own a Mac.

Besides, Bill Gates is supposed to send me a whole lot of money if I forward an email for him, and, I’m pretty sure I’ll never get that money if I switch from PC to Mac.

JadeNYU on January 31, 2007 at 3:21 PM

And their whole philosophy is to embrace and extend

What a fkin nightma’e! /mona lisa vito

Stephen M on January 31, 2007 at 3:21 PM

whatever.

I’ve used Macs, Unix mainframes, Linux Mainframes, Dos, Windows, Palm OS, and everything in between.

Windows has consistently been the most useful and adaptable operating system for normal consumer/power user use.

If I was still a hard core programmer like back in the day, I’d skip Mac entirely for a Linux variant.

Unix? god I hated that OS. to do anything without a cribsheet of commands you needed X-Windows (or somthing similar) the most worthless GUI ever created.

But Macs? Macs are for people who want to feel superior because they speant 4 times more than they had to for a machine that can not be upgraded and whose only use is for graphical design related tasks.

(I will grant that artists tend to be a flighty bunch and don’t have a need for anything outside of video or picture editing, so long as they can access their myspace or facebook and show off their “leet skillz” in basic html and web design.)

But for people who want a system that can be upgraded. (and no throwing out the old system and buying an entirely new one does not constitute an upgrade. THAT is a “Replacement”) the Mac’s a joke.

Macs have great security.

yeah.

So do the people living in bomb-shelters in arizona while wearing their foil hats.

BWA HA HA HA HA

Jones Zemkophill on January 31, 2007 at 3:26 PM

Just bought my 4th Mac–a new iMac with a huge screen, memory and killer video card and it’s awesome.
We Mac owners don’t get funny screens like the one in the vid and OSX isn’t proprietary software like any of the versions of Windows!
I hear Vista’s got a new feature that should be called File Hoser…and that all of its good features are virtual copies of Mac OSX.
But you Windows geeks stay loyal, ya hear?

Jen the Neocon on January 31, 2007 at 3:31 PM

JadeNYU on January 31, 2007 at 3:21 PM

True, for the same price of an XBox 360 (w/out games) I can max out my memory to 3 Gigs, upgrade to a screaming GeForce video card and probably upgrade my System Board and Processor and still play all the games out there and get my work done with the highest benchmarked components at my disposal.

With a Mac I can go buy a new and more expensive MAC.

kiakjones on January 31, 2007 at 3:32 PM

OOps…Looks like Jones Z beat me to it.

kiakjones on January 31, 2007 at 3:35 PM

Wow, Jones. You brought me back to the ’80s.

Long live the CLI!

taznar on January 31, 2007 at 3:42 PM

Forget it. I have four pc’s and one iMac. The pc’s aren’t worth crap after six months. A Mac is like a Toyota–even the used ones hold their value.

Even my wife wants a Mac now. Since she came home with a gazzillion viruses and spyware on her lappy.

robblefarian on January 31, 2007 at 4:00 PM

I’ve found it necessary for my gamer geekiness to have multiple systems – Atari 2600, NES, Game Gear, GBA, DS, Nintendo 64, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360 and a PC with the top of the line NVidia graphics card (need to work on the sound card though).

Not bad for a studio apartment.

JadeNYU on January 31, 2007 at 4:02 PM

Not bad for a studio apartment.

JadeNYU on January 31, 2007 at 4:02 PM

Try SoundBlaster and a set of Altec Lansing speakers. My system not only plays all my favorite games but acts as a backup Home theater system with 5.1 Dolby surround sound and I can still read spreadsheets while pissing off my neighbors three floors up.

I bypassed all those systems you mentioned so I could afford my 21 inch Flat Panel and the new Nikon D80 10.2 MegP Digital SLR camera body.

Have fun with those though, hope you don’t have them all plugged into the same outlet and running at the same time.

kiakjones on January 31, 2007 at 4:10 PM

Oh no! – not a Mac/PC debate. This could surpass the evolution/creation debate.

Fortunately it looks like only one or two of the 30 people who own macs are registered at Hot Air.

/just kidding, I’m sure it’s at least 3,000 people.

I only say this because the new(ish) Mac ads are so misleading and pretentious it makes me puke.

reaganaut on January 31, 2007 at 4:13 PM

I like best that he is a Yale drop-out.

Entelechy on January 31, 2007 at 2:48 PM
Harvard I think. Same difference.

honora on January 31, 2007 at 3:08 PM

I think honora’s right – like it made a difference anyway.

Rick on January 31, 2007 at 4:26 PM

Maintaining the “I’m just a geek who figured out a few things with my friends in the garage” appearance was a significant factor in framing the image of government stormtroopers going after the little guy for the jury. He’s sticking with what worked.

And is his haircut really worse than The Donald’s?

Freelancer on January 31, 2007 at 4:46 PM

PC vs. Mac debate? That’s a tough one. Let go to the chart of market share.

Sure, I have my issues with BillWorld, but please. I can also make my own workarounds to those issues, and I am NOT a programmer. Try sidestepping OS behaviors of a Mac without knowing two different forms of machine code. Oh, wait, the Mac OS is perfect, you couldn’t dream of wanting anything changed. Good for you.

Freelancer on January 31, 2007 at 5:00 PM

honora and Rick, I stand corrected – thank you for the clarification. I still like it :)

This Ellison speech at Yale was stuck in my memory:

Ellison, noting that college dropouts Bill Gates, Paul Allen, and Michael Dell were, like himself, on Forbes’ recent top 10 list of billionaires, urged freshmen and sophomores at the ceremony to “drop out and start up,” and added that the undereducated Yale security guards who ushered him off stage probably had a better shot at uber-wealth than graduating seniors.

This is not to promote anti-college sentiment…just to say that they are not the only path. Einstein was extremely bored in college and nearly didn’t pass his math tests, at one time…

Entelechy on January 31, 2007 at 5:01 PM

You pc folks that need to upgrade your system every time a new video game comes out need to get a life! HA!

“Dude, like my graphics card has like 50,000 megs of RAM and I can like record stuff like a tivo! I’m getting like 80 fps on WoW!”

Meanwhile I am on my mac, which actually works. Without spyware or viruses. Or Bill Gates.

Yes, you can buy a pc for $499 from Wal-Mart. Thing is, it’s gonna run like a $499 pc from Wal-Mart. And after 6 months it will be worth $99.

You can keep your Microsoft DLL hell and habitual security updates and giving your kid’s college savings away to Norton. The money you spend on anti-virus software updates, you can BUY a Mac!

Muahahaha!!!!

My pc’s are sitting here collecting dust. Can’t sell them for what I put into them.

robblefarian on January 31, 2007 at 5:22 PM

robblefarian;

As a Tech myself, a colleague of mine once said, “Computers are like teeth, everyone has ‘em and they eventually rot.” That’s true for both Macs and PC’s. The difference is when a component craps out on my PC I can run down to any electronics store and buy a suitable replacement.

MAC owners have to get proprietary components directly from Apple and there aren’t a whole lot of authorized dealers in Apple components or even certified Technicians for that matter. Not to mention that the average cost of replacement parts for MACs are usually priced well over a hundred dollars more than IBM compatibles.

Just an example; I bought a 1 gig DDR2 SDRAM stick for my system, $100, the same RAM for your MAC $300. Don’t believe me?

So you may not have Bill in your pocket but you sure as hell do have Steve Jobs in it.

So when your spiffy expensive MAC tube blows; good luck getting it fixed or replaced. It will look great next to your collection of dusty PC’s and will be just as valuable. But your still gonna be forking over three times as much as me when it happens; and believe me it will.

kiakjones on January 31, 2007 at 6:27 PM

AP, don’t you know that religious topics always stur up a fuss. Next you’ll be bringing up Starwars Vrs Star Trek.

- The Cat

MirCat on January 31, 2007 at 7:07 PM

I just bought RAM for my Mac too–cost me $75 for a single gig stick. I ‘ve been using macs for nearly 20 years. I’ve been using PC’s for about a decade. I built my own system, so I know a little about computers. Sure, I built my system for about $1,200 and my iMac cost me @ $1,500–but my Mac runs much better than my 3ghz Prescott, 2gig Ram, blah blah blah.

That’s the thing that pc folks just don’t get. Most of the folks out there don’t CARE about upgrading parts or programming or the geeky side of technology–they just want something that works. I’m 35 years old–I don’t have a computer to play WoW on. This is why 50% of all Macs sold in 2006 were to first-time Mac people. Switchers.

And let’s not get into proprietary crap. Ever tried getting into an HP, compaq or Dell desktop? Forget it. Useless. The mobos are soldered in, the HDD are impossibly placed.

And as far as the Mac dying, that’s why I paid an extra $150 for three years of Apple Care. Anything goes wrong, they fix and replace it.

Either way, to each his own. A couple of years ago, I would have agreed with you, kiakjones–but now that I’m running a Intel core duo chip in my Mac…not so much. I had the beta version of Vista running on my Mac. I finally deleted it because I never used it.

robblefarian on January 31, 2007 at 7:15 PM

Mircat stole my thunder, I was thinking the same thing.

Although, I would have addressed Ian, not AP.

:-)

Things never discussed at the dinner table: Politics, religion, Mac vs. PC, and Star Wars vs. Star Trek.

Vinnie on January 31, 2007 at 7:25 PM

- The Cat

MirCat on January 31, 2007 at 7:07 PM

I used to be a Star Wars fan (in the 90′s), but then the New Jedi Order series of books killed the story (Along with just about every character I liked.)

So when it comes to Star Trek v. Star Wars…. I’m an agnostic.

Jones Zemkophill on January 31, 2007 at 7:33 PM

Sure you paid the extra $150 for Apple care and will be without your computer for a good month, if they diagnose and fix the correct problem “the first time”. BTW, nothing ever goes wrong in 1095 days, they always seem to happen on the 1096th day; and if it does

I work on all the systems you cite everyday -HP, Dells and Compaq’s, mongrels and all components are Plug and Play; hardly impossible to replace (tricky maybe – but not impossible) but I don’t have to wait a month for overpriced parts or pay fifty bucks for overnight delivery for something I can go to Circuit City to replace.

I’m not trying to demean you for owning a MAC; like you said to each his own, it’s just that MAC owners are always bloviating about “AWESOME” Macs are and can tell you from a wealth of experience they just are not worth the cost. I have seven systems and the only ones that give me a headache are my Apple systems that I keep around for emergencies and scrap parts for MAC customers.

As far as the OS is concerned; there is an OSX Windows shell available that can make any PC into a MAC and still be able to use IBM compatible hardware and can be run on a secondary boot partition (and it’s free).

Now you want a piece of equipment, I like the Amiga for 3D graphics; but that’s for us true geeks.

kiakjones on January 31, 2007 at 7:48 PM

oops didn’t finish my first sentence;

should have finished with “there goes your $150 bucks”

kiakjones on January 31, 2007 at 7:51 PM

Yeah, imagine.

OK, it’s a worm, not a virus, but still.

Hack Ptui on January 31, 2007 at 7:53 PM

Gates is a Cylon..

Viper1 on January 31, 2007 at 2:35 PM

One of the mysterious five perhaps?

GT on January 31, 2007 at 7:54 PM

I’ve been using the same PC for 2 years and havent had to update it (except the graphics card and that’s by choice, not necessity).

Also, please don’t assume every PC video game geek is playing WoW. You can get your vg geek on without playing an MMORPG.

Now, I do like on-line multi-player FPS games like Call of Duty 2 and Perfect Dark Zero on the 360, but that’s not my PC (although it is curtesy of Mr. Gates). :)

JadeNYU on January 31, 2007 at 7:59 PM

Forgot to mention that I am running Ubuntu on my box now. It’s free and easy!

Don’t worry, I don’t feel demeaned–my best friend is a die-hard pc person. DIE-HARD. He’s a techie and currently sells video-conferencing equipment to big businesses. He’s still shaking his head over my iMac. Even though I had been using an older eMac for the past few years (a freebie), he got really mad that I spent the cash on a new iMac.

There are a few things that I like my pc for–like balancing my checkbook and watching Norton scan for viruses. Well, not anymore since I am running Linux.

You also have to remember that the new Mac desktops are more versatile than ever, component wise. Expensive, true. Not all mac products have built-in screens, ya know.

Anywho, time to watch tv to see if tomorrow is going to be a snow day! WOOHOO!

robblefarian on January 31, 2007 at 8:07 PM

JadeNYU,

I know. WoW (duh). Ever play SW BattleFront II? Sweet action and totally geeky (sorry Star Trek fans no cool online action for you I think).

kiakjones on January 31, 2007 at 8:08 PM

Please, spare us the commercial clinches. Like I said before; my $2,000 (over ten years) system acts as a gaming system, home theater (with surround sound) and does everything from video editing to graphic design and spreadsheets.

OK good night, just think; if it does snow tonight and your MAC dies tomorrow you can always use it as a sled.

kiakjones on January 31, 2007 at 8:17 PM

McFanboys. Yawn.

Now, in the days of yore, we had Amiga fanboys. Now THAT was an impressively mad bunch.

McFanboys are like Amiga’s “B1FF’s”, only in birkenstocks and a cardigan.

On the internet, “been there, done that” just happens faster.

Merovign on January 31, 2007 at 8:32 PM

Man, you really hate Macs, don’t you?

I think that your reaction to Macs is what makes us Mac folks so damn happy. It’s like the angrier you get, the broader my smile becomes. Muahahaha!!!

And if my Mac dies tomorrow, I’ll just get it fixed. I’ll use my Wii to surf the web. Or one of my obsolete pcs.

And BTW–my pc does all that crap too. A lot of good my 7.1 surround sound speakers do in a 12×12 den. That’s why I have a 56 inch tv in the living room. With an xbox, Wii, ps2, tivo, blah, blah, blah on it.

Of course, if I was a 19 year old college kid, living in a dorm, pirating movies for beer, your pc (or mine, for that matter) would be totally awesome, dude! But, thank God I am not. I am a 35 year old man that can afford to buy a Macintosh when I want one. Tsk tsk.

robblefarian on January 31, 2007 at 8:42 PM

McFanboy? What, are you like, 12, Merivign? Christ allmighty!

I think you’re on the wrong forum. Don’t you need to check in at the XBox Mod forum or something?

robblefarian on January 31, 2007 at 8:45 PM

Hahaha!! BIFF’s, turned the Amigas into very expensive Etch-a-Sketch’s. Boy those boys had talent though didn’t they?

And dude I thought you were waiting for snow robble? 35 and still waiting for a snow day? Talk about 12 years old, lol, just joshin ya.

kiakjones on January 31, 2007 at 8:56 PM

Hey Bill, I’ve been using Vista since November….Yes, the RTM version. Not bad, but no where near worth the delay of 8 months, and not anywhere near the 400 dollar price tag.

Tim Burton on January 31, 2007 at 10:19 PM

Touche, kiak!

No snow yet. Sigh. I teach 1,000 students. The kids were bonkers today at the prospect of a snow day.

It better snow after midnight!!!!!!

robblefarian on January 31, 2007 at 11:15 PM

Sorry to hear it rob, my uncle is a “specialist” math sumthing-or-other in the Boston Public school system and is giving it up to walk dogs for a living. A step up to a finer breed I’m sure, but good luck on the snow dance.

I don’t know where you are but I expect a lot of disappointed and pissy young ones in the morning; not a cloud in the sky from my view (and the weather channel is looking at dusting at best)

I’de call in sick for the next few days and save the Tylenol for better uses; like after your extended warranty runs out on your MAC.

LOL…I’m sorry, it must be the beer talking but I just had to take that last jab.

We cool?

kiakjones on February 1, 2007 at 12:22 AM

SNOW DAY!But I’ve woken up with a sore throat and my glasses broke! I’m near Nashville.

robblefarian on February 1, 2007 at 9:28 AM

If macs are so great, then how come there is this constant drumbeat about how bad pcs are? The freedom with which the insults fly and the need for invective by users and makers of mac is very telling.

mbredmond on February 1, 2007 at 10:07 AM

“If macs are so great, then how come there is this constant drumbeat about how bad pcs are?”

Umm, s’cuse me for sayin’ so, but wasn’t it a PeeCee guy who started the whole Mac/PC argument on this thread, without any prompting of any kind from anybody?

Sensitive, much?