Biden announces, immediately destroys presidential hopes; Update: Comma misplaced? Update: “Totally out of context” (Bumped) Update: Audio

posted at 3:26 pm on January 31, 2007 by Allahpundit

Drudge is teasing this at the top of the page with an emphasis on the word “clean.” Er, Matt — it’s not just the hygiene angle that’s troubling here.

Mr. Biden is equally skeptical—albeit in a slightly more backhanded way—about Mr. Obama. “I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy,” he said. “I mean, that’s a storybook, man.”

He announced he’s running this morning. And now, instantly, he’s finished. He’s the William Henry Harrison of presidential candidates.

Not that he ever had a prayer anyway.

He’s also got a knack for this sort of racist “straight talk.” Remember?

K-Lo compares it to Matthews complimenting Michael Steele on his “child-like” gentleness, so atypical of the violent black men whom Matthews is sure haunt white southerners’ dreams.

Exit question: On the spectrum of enlightened, “positive,” left-wing racism, where does this fall vis-a-vis a nutroots minstrel-face photoshop?

Update: You’ve got to be kidding.

Update: Biden passes on the too clever by half comma defense and invokes context, sweet context. Without actually explaining what the missing context was.

“And with regard to the assertions I have just read as I walked over here… about Barack Obama. Barack Obama is probably the most exciting candidate that the Democratic or Republican Party has produced, at least since I have been around. And he is fresh, he is new, he is insightful, and I really regret that some have taken totally out of context my use of the word ‘clean.’

“So I called Barack,” he added, “and he said ‘Joe you don’t have to explain anything to me.’”…

About his use of the word “clean” to describe Obama, Biden explained by saying, “My mother has an expression: clean as a whistle, sharp as tack. That’s the context.”

Update (Ian): Audio.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Remember, Jesse Jackson has run a couple of times before. But I guess he just wasn’t clean enough.

ReubenJCogburn on January 31, 2007 at 11:31 AM

As a new resident of DelaWHERE? I beg you please, Joe, pleeeease resign your Senate seat and show us that you are truly committed to this election! And when you lose, you (and WE) can enjoy your retirement.

Tony737 on January 31, 2007 at 11:32 AM

Can retired KKK, active Senator Robert Byrd(D) shed some light on what Senator Biden (D) was trying to say, or not say?
If a Repub had said this, the MSM would indeed be banging on Byrds’ door, if he was a Repub, too. Just to get a to-fer – destroy two GOP Senators at the same time. But, Biden is a Dem and so is Byrd. Free pass to get out of PC jail.

naliaka on January 31, 2007 at 11:42 AM

Exactly my first thought when reading Drudge headline:
“He’s Toast!”
and burned to a crisp.

Tru2my2 on January 31, 2007 at 11:42 AM

Maybe by “clean” he was referring to greenhouse gas emissions compared to the other Dem nominees. Naw.

Valiant on January 31, 2007 at 11:44 AM

Or nice looking.

What a moron.

csdeven on January 31, 2007 at 11:44 AM

I like macacaphony, Michelle.

mymanpotsandpans on January 31, 2007 at 11:47 AM

Priceless!

GT on January 31, 2007 at 11:48 AM

Heh. Biden suffers from DOTM: Diarrhea of the Mouth. If he thinks it, it’s out–no control valve on that man. I like Biden, though, because he helps reveal liberal hypocrisy all the time with this stuff. He gives us a clear window on what they really think behind all their rhetoric and pandering.

aero on January 31, 2007 at 11:50 AM

Colin PowellObama is very well spoken, and carries himself well.

blogRot on January 31, 2007 at 11:52 AM

Shortest. Candidacy. Ever.

LOL!!!

blatantblue on January 31, 2007 at 11:53 AM

Didn’t Biden self-destruct way back in the ’88 primaries?

Valiant on January 31, 2007 at 11:54 AM

Didn’t Biden self-destruct way back in the ‘88 primaries?

I think he started to politically self-destruct in the womb. I’m amazed he’s gotten this far, frankly.

aero on January 31, 2007 at 11:56 AM

A 1988 graduate of the School of Hard Kinnocks.

mymanpotsandpans on January 31, 2007 at 11:57 AM

Aww, come on give Joe a break. He was just using someone elses comments.

KelliD on January 31, 2007 at 11:58 AM

Joe it is ‘ma’-'ca’-'ca’….just saying ukno

Limerick on January 31, 2007 at 11:59 AM

exoneratory presser with the naacp?

jummy on January 31, 2007 at 12:00 PM

Thanks for running joey babee…gives me the opportunity to vote against your sorry butt…YOU ARE A MORON…

areseaoh on January 31, 2007 at 12:00 PM

whoooooopsie! Did I really say that? What I really meant was….

Alden Pyle on January 31, 2007 at 12:02 PM

Oh my, how we laughed, as we made our way to the Serious Burns Unit.

It gets funnier every day!

james hooker on January 31, 2007 at 12:03 PM

Biden’s a complete idiot, and an example of someone who’s been a career politician for far too long (he was elected at age 29 or something).

I remember an incident some years back where he lectured someone testifying before a senate committee hearing in which he said something like “That’s why we (senators) get paid the big bucks. That’s why I’m up here and you’re down there.” I’m paraphrasing, but it was something like that.

Arrogant, condescending…OK, I’ll stop now.

flipflop on January 31, 2007 at 12:05 PM

Biden reminds me of a Simpsons cartoon in which Homer says something boneheaded and then asks, “Did I say that out loud?”

aero on January 31, 2007 at 12:07 PM

What’s interesting is that supposedly Biden is one of the “smarter,” more “intellectual” donk presidential wannabes this year.

If that’s true, then it makes one wonder what’s doing on in the minds of the others.

Spurius Ligustinus on January 31, 2007 at 12:08 PM

All you evil Republicans…don’t you understand that it was simply a failed joke? And now, in all your hypocricy, you have the gall…the GALL to use his words against him. For shame.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Biden- DOA- Dead On Announcement

rotorhead on January 31, 2007 at 12:08 PM

He’ll just say that “I was referring to his voting record, not his hygeine.” That and an Polident smile and all will be forgotten.

Matticus Finch on January 31, 2007 at 12:08 PM

Is Biden taking public speaking lessons from Kerry?

bloviator on January 31, 2007 at 12:10 PM

Nice, uh, er..hair dude.

Alden Pyle on January 31, 2007 at 12:11 PM

Reminds me of Chris Rock talking about Colin Powell running for president. Wish I could find the clip…

sunny on January 31, 2007 at 12:12 PM

Biden was more palatable back in the good old days, when he was just a plagiarist.

Kid from Brooklyn on January 31, 2007 at 12:12 PM

Please – this is one of those rare moments when a liberal is honest in public. Support this, don’t denounce it. We need more, not less of it. The fact that it’s moronic and even racist is precisely why we should support this kind of candidness in liberals – it’s refreshing when they reveal themselves, and it saves us lots of work. I for one applaud Biden for this.

Halley on January 31, 2007 at 12:13 PM

Obama’s people answer:

Mr. Obama’s campaign spokesman, Bill Burton, wrote to the Observer in an e-mail:

“Senator Obama opposed the Iraq War from Day 1 and has articulated clear principles in how to address the tragic mistakes President Bush has made there.” And as for rest — ­including Mr. Biden’s use of the words “articulate” and “nice-looking” to describe the Senator from Illinois — ­the spokesman said, “Senator Biden’s words speak for themselves.”

Valiant on January 31, 2007 at 12:17 PM

All together now:
” Im terribly sorry there were those of you that mistook my previous statement as racist or unfeeling….yada yada yada”

CBarker on January 31, 2007 at 12:18 PM

I do hope Biden stays in the race, at least for a little while. He provides much-needed comic relief.

aero on January 31, 2007 at 12:20 PM

He’s the William Henry Harrison of presidential candidates.

That’s really unfair to WHH. Before the unfortunate pnuemonia thing, Harrison had a distinguished military career. What’s anything useful Biden’s ever done, besides entertain us?

Radish on January 31, 2007 at 12:20 PM

I’ve looked for that clip too,sunny, could not find it.
The basis of the bit is that if there were a Black VP, the man who shot the president would be welcomed onto prison as a hero by all of the other blacks.

bbz123 on January 31, 2007 at 12:22 PM

Yeah, I hope he sees this one through, late night has been pretty stale lately. I can’t wait until Conan takes this too far. It’s going to be hilarious.

Savage on January 31, 2007 at 12:23 PM

Well, Hogo is now the official dictator in South America, will Danny and Cindy be there to congratulate him?

bbz123 on January 31, 2007 at 12:24 PM

“An intelligent and non-stinky black man! It’s like some kind of crazy fairy tale!”

That won’t matter to Dems.

I mean the content of what he said won’t matter; the fact that he’s a blowhard with diarrhea of the mouth certainly will matter.

lauraw on January 31, 2007 at 12:24 PM

What’s wrong with ‘clean’?

I thought the Madrassah Messiah stopped using crack?

faraway on January 31, 2007 at 12:25 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA…

Jeeze, whatta maroon!

mojo on January 31, 2007 at 12:25 PM

Oh you guys are just scared:

joeBIDEN/rayNAGIN ’08

billy on January 31, 2007 at 12:29 PM

Oh sweet Jesus. Either this has to be immediately dropped or Biden has to immediately withdraw. I can’t take the endless analyzing, it’s too much. On and on and on and on and on and on and on……

STOP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

honora on January 31, 2007 at 12:33 PM

Duh! I like Mark Levin’s moniker for Joe Biden: “The Dumbest Man in the Senate.” Stick a fork in him… he’s done.

flutejpl on January 31, 2007 at 12:35 PM

Geez, I can’t stop laughing.

Malpaso on January 31, 2007 at 12:38 PM

D’OH!!

morganfrost on January 31, 2007 at 12:38 PM

I’m not so sure that this is racist. I mean considering previous black Democratic candidates that have run for president like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, doesn’t he have a point?

Sharpton is certain articulate and bright, but “clean” (which I’m sure Biden meant as scandal-free) and “nice-looking” he’s not. And Jackson, well, I don’t know if any of those four words could be used to describe him.

I think that Biden puts the comment in the context of other African Americans that have run before Obama, I think it’s kind of stretch to say that this displays some type of latent racism. I think Biden’s saying that this is the first black Democrat that actually has a chance of winning rather than “…and look at this black guy, who’s unusually smart and good-looking for his skin color.”

Greg Tinti on January 31, 2007 at 12:38 PM

What an unmitgated jerk . . . who’s his running mate, Gumby or Goofy?

rplat on January 31, 2007 at 12:39 PM

Al Sharpton ran, too. Not clean enough?

amerpundit on January 31, 2007 at 12:39 PM

rplat, that’s not nice. I like both Gumby and Goofy. They would never run with the likes of Biden.

amerpundit on January 31, 2007 at 12:41 PM

Skeet shooting! Biden launched his Presidential bid, and a second later personally shot it out of the sky.

Anil Petra on January 31, 2007 at 12:53 PM

If a conservative made those remarks, he or she would be drawn and quartered.
Biden will pay little or no price re his comments on Obama.
It’s OK for Donkeys to make racist and “insennnsitive” statements.
However, he also criticized other Donkey hopefuls for 08′, most notably HELLARY. He said her plans for Iraq would lead to disaster. He will pay for criticizing her, the CLINTON GOON SQUAD will visit retribution on poor Joe.

mountainmanbob on January 31, 2007 at 12:55 PM

Biden left out “and a member of a racist church”. The Muslim Messiah’s church website says its Unashamedly Black. Whitey need not apply.

faraway on January 31, 2007 at 1:02 PM

So the clean, nice-looking Messiah thinks that Conservatives are burdened by rumors and illogic. Funny people, all around.

Nethicus on January 31, 2007 at 1:05 PM

I’m all for it. Keep talking Biden, show the world what’s wrong with the dems, loudly. Ruin as many of them as you can, which will ruin yourself as you go.
Please Biden, talk. It is your worst character defect, allowing your thoughts out of your head.

shooter on January 31, 2007 at 1:06 PM

Bi Bi Biden! Thank God.

sonnyspats1 on January 31, 2007 at 1:08 PM

HUCKABEE 08 !

sonnyspats1 on January 31, 2007 at 1:09 PM

Excerpt from the Messiahs “Black Value System” as taught by his church:

Disavowal of the Pursuit of “Middleclassness”

Classic methodology on control of captives teaches that captors must keep the captiveignorant educationally, but trained sufficiently well to serve the system.

Also, the captors must be able to identify the “talented tenth” of those subjugated, especially those who show promise of providing the kind of leadership that might threaten the captor’s control

Those so identified as separated from the rest of the people by:

Killing them off directly, and/or fostering a social system that encourages them to kill off one another.

Placing them in concentration camps, and/or structuring an economic environment that induces captive youth to fill the jails and prisons.

faraway on January 31, 2007 at 1:09 PM

Biden’s comment was botched sarcasm.

What he meant was, “we need a real nigga ta run, like Ali G.”

keep it real.

moron

pedestrian on January 31, 2007 at 1:10 PM

Liberal racism is so typical these days; he’ll have to whip an oreo at obama to get my attention.

lorien1973 on January 31, 2007 at 1:10 PM

That one’s gonna sting for, well, the rest of his life. OUCH!

WisCon on January 31, 2007 at 1:17 PM

Are you kidding me? He’ll get a total pass on this. He won’t win in ’08, but this will do nothing to his campaign.

rightside on January 31, 2007 at 1:18 PM

He’s also got a knack for this sort of racist “straight talk.”

Racist? Sputter, choke. What the PC liberals on the right call racist, the rest call being blunt. For that matter he’s correct. And for the record Jesse Jackson is anything but clean. Enjoy eating your own.

Timber Wolf on January 31, 2007 at 1:23 PM

uh, oh Joe… now they’re coming for you…

Joe Biden
by kos
Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 08:04:49 AM PST
Really, if we live in a just world, this will be the end of Joe Biden’s political career. On Barack Obama:

“Articulate”. “Mainstream”. “Bright and clean”.

It’s clear his career has dragged on one election cycle too many.

murty on January 31, 2007 at 1:23 PM

He’a a racist, a traitor, and a jerk.

georgej on January 31, 2007 at 1:24 PM

For Biden to consider continuing his candidacy at this point is sub-moronic for him, but will turn out quite entertaining for us. Kind of like the trolls continuing to post here. (honora not a troll in my mind, she honestly tries to persuade people, and that’s fine) They don’t realize they’re outgunned mentally, and their comments keep us focused.

I had a tech working for me in the Navy like that. He had NO internal dialog mechanism, no ability to edit his thoughts before they dripped like a leaky faucet from his lips. Constantly embarassed himself.

Freelancer on January 31, 2007 at 1:24 PM

I hope Joe stays in the race. More people will get see and hear what an idiot he is.

d1carter on January 31, 2007 at 1:46 PM

He’s not racist, liberals can’t be racist. It’s one of The Rules.

Enrique on January 31, 2007 at 1:51 PM

SloJoe’s hair plugs might be a little too deep.

Maybe he plagiarize that statement it from someplace….?

Kini on January 31, 2007 at 2:10 PM

BBZ,

Rock started that bit with….(paraphrasing)

Everyone says Colin Powell speaks so well, I mean he really speaks well. Of course he speaks well. He’s an educated man. What did you expect him to sound like:

I gonna drop me a bomb tooday. I be pres-o-dent.

Despite his politics, Rock always made me laugh. Biden, not so much till now.

sunny on January 31, 2007 at 2:19 PM

I bet he was close to using the term “colored” but said clean instead..

madmonaco on January 31, 2007 at 2:19 PM

The real question is whether or not Ibden’s self-destruction will protect Obama from the SF Examiner article highlighting “interesting” passages from his books. He’s got a few issues with whtiey, including those horrible white people that raised him (mentioning that they’re his genetic relatives is just racist man!) and got him on his path to college. Obama is a self segregating racist who has problems working with white people, problems with white women, and problems associating with white people as individuals. Other than that he doesn’t have a racist bone in his body.

libertarianuberalles on January 31, 2007 at 2:24 PM

Amazing. But this is what most liberals really feel, which is why they want to “help” blacks with affirmative action and all sorts of government social programs. . .as if blacks are not individually capable of success on their own.

Hopefully, sometime most people will realize just how racist liberals are.

One last thing: Obama with his Muslim brothers, foreign father and stepfather, and grandfather and having grown up in Indonesia, with a white atheist mother who likes Indonesia better than America, is hardly “mainstream.” In his comments he doesn’t even understand what America stands for.

I guess real, assimilated black Americans like Michael Steele, Jesse Jackson, Harold Ford, Condoleeza Rice or anyone else in politics (as opposed to Obama who espouses foreign values in his comments such as considering America to be a “Muslim Nation” in an Examiner article) are not “clean” or “American” enough for Biden.

januarius on January 31, 2007 at 2:25 PM

Even without John Kerry, the 2008 Presidential run is SURE to be filled with Pat Paulsen momoents like this one. Sit back, and enjoy the entertainment.

CyberCipher on January 31, 2007 at 2:30 PM

First, John Kerry with his “soldiers are stupid” remark.
Result: Kerry is not running.

Then Hillary with her “evil men” remark, plus the Star Spangled Banner” gaffe.
Result: Her poll numbers keep getting smaller and smaller.

Now, Joe Biden announces (& kills) his nomination on the same day!

Why bother exposing them for who they are when do it on their own. Priceless!

What’s with Joe Biden anyway? Condeleeza Rice & Colon Powell weren’t “articulate” & “clean enough” mainstream African Americans for him? I guess I should be happy he found his first one with Barrack Obama, I guess? Keep up the search Smokin’ Joe.

Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder on January 31, 2007 at 2:38 PM

Maybe “clean” enough means “white” enough.

bloggless on January 31, 2007 at 2:47 PM

He made a similar comment last run when he said something about not sending his kids to come college though I don’t remember which one. He was condsending to Rice when he said to her A NUMBER OF TIMES about her dealing with Bush saying : You have to say “Boss” you should do this, or “Boss”you should do that or “Boss” you should consider,,,”
He was so blatant.

So he can use the Skerry defense of “bothched joke”. His whole life is a bothched joke.

auspatriotman on January 31, 2007 at 2:49 PM

If only Teddy would announce, our entertainment would be complete.

bloggless on January 31, 2007 at 2:50 PM

All we need now is for Dennis Kucinich to say Stalin, Castro and Kim Jung Il are his idol and Obama will practically get handed the Dem nomination. This Democratic nomination version of the reality show Survivor Island. Today, Biden gets kicked off the island just as he hitting the beach.

I’m impressed , at this rate, Obama is the only Democrat that hasn’t tripped over his own words yet, but there is still a long time for him to do so.

Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder on January 31, 2007 at 3:04 PM

I’m skeptical that this will hurt Biden in any way.

RushBaby on January 31, 2007 at 3:06 PM

Look. Biden is none to smart, but this won’t hurt him because he never had a chance anyway. I think the “clean” comment can be construed as meaning that he thought that Obama has no skeletons like some of the so-called front runners.

All this means is that Hilary is not going to have to come up with dirt on Joe. He’ll trash his own candidacy.

cmay on January 31, 2007 at 3:19 PM

First, keep your eyes on Edwards. He is the one. And he’s clean, too.

Second, I think Biden was probably thinking about Bush and just misspoke… it must have been Bush’s fault.

huckleberry on January 31, 2007 at 3:19 PM

It just depends what the meaning of the word “comma” is.

Gregor on January 31, 2007 at 3:22 PM

…Obama is the only Democrat that hasn’t tripped over his own words yet…

Planet Boulder on January 31, 2007 at 3:04 PM

Yes. Probably because his greatest asset is that he is a relative unknown, and he has absolutely no record on any issue of national or international significance. When the electorate is faced with a choice among many evils, the nothingness of an empty suit can look very appealing.

I’ll give him credit for what he is good at though, he is charismatic and he is an articulate speaker.

CyberCipher on January 31, 2007 at 3:23 PM