AmSpec editor: Tony Snow in ’08

posted at 5:07 pm on January 31, 2007 by Allahpundit

He knows it can’t happen — too many big names in the field, not enough money or experience in Tony the Tiger’s corner — but he senses something there. Something the Snowman’s got that no one else on the Republican landscape, with the possible exception of Newt, has right now.

Magic.

[T]his wasn’t a videotape of Ronald Reagan that I was watching. It was White House press secretary Tony Snow, speaking live to the closing luncheon of the National Review Institute’s “Conservative Summit.”…

Throughout the entire speech and Q&A afterward, Snow held the whole audience spellbound. As soon as he was done, one lady at my table leaned over to me and said: “Now he’s the one who should be running for president next time around.”

If the current primary system, with its emphasis on crazily early money and early organizing, weren’t so outlandish, the idea actually makes at least some sense.

The fact is that conservatives have been desperately searching for a champion who knows how to communicate, how to engage and inspire the public, ever since Reagan left the scene. What has been missing in the interim is not merely some acquired skill or a trick of communicating, but a communications talent that is married to a genuine, heartfelt, long-developed set of beliefs. It’s the marriage of communication with philosophy that is needed; one without the other won’t do. Snow is clearly genuine: Never having needed to troll for votes, he has for decades spoken for himself, not to pander to any interest group or do well in any poll.

Even before I got to the end of Hillyer’s column, I was thinking of Warner’s Senate seat in Virginia. He’s up for re-election in 2009, he’ll turn 80 next month, and Snow’s lived there for years. Two problems, though: the state is trending blue and he’s not a native son. He is native to Kentucky (born) and Ohio (raised), each of which will have a Senate race in 2011 (Snow will be 56 at the time), but the latter’s a bad bet. It’s also trending blue and Voinovich will “only” be 75 at the time. But Kentucky? Jim Bunning will be 80 and has been rumored for years to be senile/senile-ish. Both seats are presently held by Republicans, the other belonging to Senate minority leader Mitch McConnell, who’d naturally campaign on the Snowman’s behalf. Plus, Kentucky would give him some southern cred to balance his Ohio pedigree in case he considers a national run later.

He’s got the taint of Bush on him now, but that’ll fade in time. And didn’t the left make a big deal back when he was named press secretary about how often he’d criticized the president’s policies in print? Bush even made a joke about it when introducing him to the press corps:

Come 2009, he moves to Lexington and declares that he needs to “embrace my roots,” makes some friends, does some fundraisers, and he’s set. Money.

Comments

Why wait. With the power of the internet we could have the first write-in victory in ’08. Waiting will get us nowhere.

Griz on January 31, 2007 at 5:14 PM

Where did that image of Snow in the sunglasses come from?

RightWinged on January 31, 2007 at 5:17 PM

Perhaps he can relocate to Delaware.

JammieWearingFool on January 31, 2007 at 5:19 PM

RW, that’s a p-shop by AP from a trip to Iraq???? Uh, a little help, please?

Editor on January 31, 2007 at 5:23 PM

I would give my right arm to have him in New York!

NEMETI IN SYRACUSE on January 31, 2007 at 5:24 PM

For starters, I was born and raised in KY, and I now live in Lexington. If Tony Snow decided to come home to KY, I could not imagine a better choice for an elected official. The more you see/hear of him, the better he looks/sounds! It would be nice to better know his position on some issues, which would come in due time I am sure, but his delivery says a lot in itself. Lexington itself is pretty much a liberal town — it’s a struggle, yes — but it has loads of good things about it too! I feel safe in saying that there are enough of us conservatives who would rally behind him. Fayette county (along with most of the rest of the state with the exception of ~12-15 counties) went Republican in the last two presidential elections. So I say, “Come home Tony!!” (…in 2008, of course… we need him where he is right now.)

lan astaslem on January 31, 2007 at 5:24 PM

RightWinged on January 31, 2007 at 5:17 PM

An Elvis convention in Las Vegas maybe?

csdeven on January 31, 2007 at 5:25 PM

He’s got the taint of Bush on him now,

Not exactly the best visual…

Kid from Brooklyn on January 31, 2007 at 5:25 PM

I think that the bigger question mark is his health. He looks great, but doesn’t a colonectomy patient need a lot of monitoring?

SWLiP on January 31, 2007 at 5:27 PM

In. Terr. Est. Ing!

RushBaby on January 31, 2007 at 5:28 PM

RW, that’s a p-shop by AP from a trip to Iraq???? Uh, a little help, please?

Not a photoshop. It was taken when Bush and Koizumi visited Graceland in May. The Snowman tagged along and ended up trying on a pair of Elvis’s sunglasses.

Allahpundit on January 31, 2007 at 5:28 PM

Snow in 08!!!!!

Defector01 on January 31, 2007 at 5:31 PM

Allahpundit on January 31, 2007 at 5:28 PM

AP, have you been trolling around the lib sites? Those are the only sites where I have seen this picture — which they take great joy in mocking… I hope you take a shower afterward. I always feel totally slimed when I go there.

lan astaslem on January 31, 2007 at 5:38 PM

Hey cool. Hey Tony whens the album comming out?

sonnyspats1 on January 31, 2007 at 5:43 PM

I could go for Tony in ’08. Gingrich is my guy, but Snow would fill the bill on many counts. I keep saying that communication skill/charisma is in my top three must-have qualities for our next presidential candidate, and the Snowman definitely has that.

Our field seems so weak right now, particularly with Rudy and Newt holding back, that I think it would be great if someone just came out of the blue red and swept us off our feet. (By “out of the blue,” I mean someone we never expected to run, not someone we’ve never heard of). I think perhaps the time might be suitable for a conservative journalist president who can get his message past a hostile media with skill and charm. I think the administration has been holding Snow back as Press Sec.

aero on January 31, 2007 at 5:55 PM

Snow also fills the Hot Babe square required by many superficial women when voting for a male candidate.

Of course, I never use that as one of my criteria. :::: smiles innocently ::::

baldilocks on January 31, 2007 at 6:09 PM

Gingrich-Snow in’08. A dynamite ticket… and we could eliminate the job of Press Secretary. God knows they wouldn’t need anyone to speak for them!

RedWinged Blackbird on January 31, 2007 at 6:19 PM

Ah, yes, the singing Prime Minister of Japan. Awkward moment.

Still, i was always under the impression it was a p-shop. Knowing now this was authentic… SNOW ’08, BABY!!!!

Editor on January 31, 2007 at 6:22 PM

Virginia is trending blue or just dumb?…errr…nevermind. Not much difference.

SnowRice or RiceSnow in 2008

By the way, Ric Flair (the wrestler) is about to announce his intentions to run for NC governor as a Republican. Woooooooooooooo!

SouthernGent on January 31, 2007 at 6:27 PM

As for Snow running for a Senate seat, I’d rather he wait and run for president when he’s ready. Senators rarely if ever make it to the White House. This is assuming Snow is even remotely interested in running for public office…

aero on January 31, 2007 at 6:35 PM

I’d be more excited if it were the Tony Snow of a year or so ago.

Still, I can think of worse people to have to vote for.

How about a Hunter/Snow or maybe even a Snow/Hunter ticket? That would be a good combo.

LegendHasIt on January 31, 2007 at 6:40 PM

How about Tony Snow/Julie Chen? Let him make the decisions and she can be the VP eye candy.

Alden Pyle on January 31, 2007 at 6:45 PM

There will be some great jokes to be made about “Snow in ’08″ and “Global Warming.” I wish I could think of some but there are people quicker and funnier by far!

RushBaby on January 31, 2007 at 6:46 PM

Virginia is trending blue or just dumb?…errr…nevermind. Not much difference.

SnowRice or RiceSnow in 2008

SouthernGent on January 31, 2007 at 6:27 PM

Woooooooooooooo! indeed. That should be fun to watch. Flair’s a character, but he’s got charisma and a silver tongue. And any guy pushing 60 that can still take the bumps that he does has earned my respect.

As for the Snowman, I’d love to see him run for office, health permitting. Any man who can deal with David Gregory and the rest of the monkey house (okay, other than Gregory they only act like screeching monkeys) every day and not lose his cool is absolutely unflappable.

ReubenJCogburn on January 31, 2007 at 6:51 PM

Interesting speculation. As a Virginian, I’d have no problem if he decided to come here to do a little carpet bagging.

flipflop on January 31, 2007 at 7:03 PM

Of course, I never use that as one of my criteria. :::: smiles innocently ::::
baldilocks on January 31, 2007 at 6:09 PM

I’d vote for Julie Banderas.. a woman, an Hispanic, conservative, a multi-minority winner here…..and easy on the eyes.
OK eye candy!

shooter on January 31, 2007 at 7:15 PM

I nominate Michelle Malkin.

Zorro on January 31, 2007 at 7:16 PM

Tony for President! There’s a campaign I would gladly donate to.

rmgraha on January 31, 2007 at 7:44 PM

Snow could make a mint teaching Republicans how to communicate.

GT on January 31, 2007 at 7:49 PM

Anyone who can handle Helen Thomas the way Tony Snow does has my vote.

DAT60A3 on January 31, 2007 at 8:42 PM

Virginia isn’t really trending blue. It has been pretty darned blue with the exception of Presidential elections. We’ve only had 2 Republican Governors since I moved here in 81. Senators have been almost 50/50 during that time also. It was a first when our General Assembly went red several years ago.

For all the hornblowing the Dems have been doing about turning the Old Dominion to their side, it’s BS. They lost it for several years, but it’s never been truly red.

TugboatPhil on January 31, 2007 at 8:56 PM

Oooh…absolutely eerie. I just proposed the idea of Newt as president and Snow as VP two days ago. Pretty dang close. Perhaps Snow should aim just a little lower. And let gecko do his thing and have Tony continue with his snow jobs over the reporters. And then who would need a White House Press Secretary?

How about Newt Gingrich for president and Tony Snow as VP?
I think I just short-circuited my brain thinking about this possibility. – Kokonut on January 29, 2007 at 4:57 PM

Kokonut on January 31, 2007 at 9:40 PM

I saw this on AmSpec last night and never got around to blogging it, even though it’s a great idea. Especially the Virginia thing.

See? Big tent.

see-dubya on January 31, 2007 at 10:34 PM

As much as Snow may deserve
admiration and respect, I have
to wonder whether a majority
of Americans are ready to elect
a cancer survivor as President.
Remember Paul Tsongas?

I guess with McCain and Giuliani
in the race we may find out
this cycle.

Rev Snow on January 31, 2007 at 11:16 PM

If the dems can have Obama as their supposedly “great communicator” and no experience and a very short voting record, then we can have Snow and his excellent communication skills, no experience and many many articles about where he stands.

armyvet on February 1, 2007 at 6:23 AM

I’ll be moving to Lexington too. Sign me up!

dallas94 on February 1, 2007 at 9:33 AM

Tony’s got my vote!

conservativecaveman on February 1, 2007 at 9:35 AM

Yeah, Tony’s very conservative, just the right age, knows how to talk and chicks dig him.

I’m with Gent, Rice and Snow or Snow and Rice.

Why waste time runnin’ for the Senate? What we need is a Govenor … or the former NSA and present SoS. Match her up with Tony Snow the P.S. and former talk show host and you’ve got a winner.

hhhhmmm Rice and Snow oooooorrrrr McCain and Rudy ppppfffftttt Condi and Tony all the way baby!

But Rick Flair? He can’t win, too many people think wrasslin’ is real and remember him as a “bad guy”!

Tony737 on February 1, 2007 at 10:24 AM

Nice shades…yikes!

honora on February 1, 2007 at 11:33 AM

I’d like to see Bawney Fwank run for Prez, the demonrats need somebody they can really get behind.

Snow vs Fwank in ’08! The Coolness vs The Lisp.

Tony737 on February 1, 2007 at 12:24 PM

…Bush and Koizumi visited Graceland in May. The Snowman tagged along and ended up trying on a pair of Elvis’s sunglasses.

Allahpundit on January 31, 2007 at 5:28 PM

Not a yikes moment whatsoever.

RushBaby on February 1, 2007 at 3:05 PM

Virginia is moving toward being the first state to apologize for slavery! So they’ll need an apologist, not a conservative, governor!

Snow for VP!!!!!

And by the way, forget about Rice. She’s not articulate nor accomplished enough and JoeBi doesn’t know if she bathes daily.

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on February 1, 2007 at 3:13 PM

Snow is for Illegal immigration…………NO vote from me….He is overly arrogant when talking about the jailed border guards. Worst choice I could imagine!

Mellen on February 1, 2007 at 6:46 PM

Snow’s got my vote, for sure. Makes Bill C. look like a the country bumpkin he truly is even with his communicator skills. At least Tony would tell us the truth! Heck, anyone who can handle the senile old woman, Helen Hunt, can handle just about anybody.

sharinlite on February 1, 2007 at 10:44 PM

Mellen on February 1, 2007 at 6:46 PM

I remember that. I also remember him excusing the Iraqi Parliament for taking a vacation because it was so hot only to be reminded that OUR SOLDIERS don’t get a break from the heat protecting a country those clowns won’t get serious about unifying. I guess people forget about stuff like that over time.

Guardian on August 17, 2007 at 11:48 PM