Stuart Smalley to run for Senate

posted at 9:34 pm on January 31, 2007 by Ian

I’m good enough, I’m smart enough, and dog-gone it, people like me:

Comedian and radio talk show host Al Franken has begun calling Democratic members of Congress and prominent DFLers to tell them he will definitely challenge Republican Sen. Norm Coleman in 2008, the Star Tribune has learned.

On Monday, Franken announced that he was quitting his radio show on Feb. 14, and he told his audience that they’d be the first to know of his decision. But Franken has been working the phones in recent days, telling his political friends he’s ready to declare his candidacy.

The Star Tribune confirmed today that Franken made calls to at least two members of the Minnesota congressional delegation in Washington to break the news. The sources spoke on the condition of anonymity, not wanting to pre-empt Franken’s announcement.

Comments

With Air America folding its wings, I guess he needs a job.

DAT60A3 on January 31, 2007 at 9:37 PM

It is Feb ’07, election time Nov ’08. 22 months for the wind to depart from the Franken sails.

Theworldisnotenough on January 31, 2007 at 9:39 PM

It IS Minnesota. He could win it, too.

lorien1973 on January 31, 2007 at 9:41 PM

Let’s hope he brings the same success to his senate run as he did to Air America. MN deserves better.

Scotsman on January 31, 2007 at 9:42 PM

Has he ever held an elected office? Seems a Senatorship sets the bar a wee bit high. He should’ve started at, maybe… dog catcher?

Not that anyone would elect his sorry ass for that, either.

kevcad on January 31, 2007 at 9:43 PM

Well he’s definitely needing a new job at this point. So I guess he decided why not. Oh, I think he would deserve a vote for dog catcher. It would be right up his alley.

vcferlita on January 31, 2007 at 9:46 PM

Would that make him the first actor not named Fred to serve in Congress?

Jim Treacher on January 31, 2007 at 9:50 PM

He’s “quitting” his radio show? Uh…because they don’t PAY him? What else can a failed talk-show host do but run for office on the democratic ticket. Good for him.

thedecider on January 31, 2007 at 9:53 PM

Are Minnesota Democrats that dumb they would sacrifice the election so this drooling moron can satisfy his overblown ego?

JammieWearingFool on January 31, 2007 at 9:54 PM

I do have to give the guy some credit – he’s the only anti-war entertainer I saw entertaining the troops in the Middle East – probably the only one who means it when he claims to support the troops…

RustMouse on January 31, 2007 at 9:55 PM

I think he’d do better making self-improvement videos.

flipflop on January 31, 2007 at 10:05 PM

He probably will be elected. I’m sure the Twin Cities will all vote his way.

Catie96706 on January 31, 2007 at 10:05 PM

Shameless plug? Absolutely.

The truth about the lies of AL FRANKEN; Al Franken debunked.

Thank you kindly.

DPierre on January 31, 2007 at 10:11 PM

Shouldn’t that be “former comedian and former radio host”?

Savage on January 31, 2007 at 10:20 PM

A decade ago he may have had a chance in Minnesota, but the state is changing. It has prospered with a Republican Governor after the clown show of the former wrestler James Janos. And Labor isn’t 100% in the pocket of the Democrats anymore. Franken’s main flaw is that he thinks he has none.

Doug on January 31, 2007 at 10:23 PM

Wouldn’t he have a better chance in Messychusetts? They have a deep-rooted affection for no talent liars.

What’s that? Oh, Lurch and Swimmer were appointed for life.

Minnesota it is then.

fogw on January 31, 2007 at 10:24 PM

I thought to be called a comedian you had to be funny.

JayHaw Phrenzie on January 31, 2007 at 10:30 PM

Hubert Humphrey must be turning over in his grave

robo on January 31, 2007 at 10:37 PM

As an expatriate of Minnesota, I just wish I could go back to vote against him. Minneapolis may have elected the first Muslim to congress (and one with not-so-moderate ties, at that!), but I doubt Franken can win the whole state. But I dared to dream that Minnesota would go for Bush, not Kerry, so what do I know?

insomni on January 31, 2007 at 10:41 PM

I hope that there is enough decency in that state to prevent his election, but, good lord, can you imagine all the fodder he’d generate for talk radio? He’d put Chavez, and the whole Democrat leadership combined to shame.

Wolfman on January 31, 2007 at 10:58 PM

Bill O’Reilly just had a massive heart attack.

I mean, can you IMAGINE what Reilly’s gonna say about this? He loathes Stuart Smalley with the heat of a billion suns. It’s going to be an interesting two years–and maybe a lot more interesting after that.

jaleach on January 31, 2007 at 11:06 PM

I’m from Minnesota. Norm has a reason to be afraid.

Too bad Norm’s been such a twitchy, flip flopping weasel lately, or I would give a darn.

Dr. Gecko on January 31, 2007 at 11:09 PM

I’m good enough, I’m smart enough, and dog-gone it, people like

His candidacy may be the funniest bit Franken’s ever done. Al? Here’s a flash for you: No, you aren’t, no you aren’t, and no – they don’t.

SpartRan on January 31, 2007 at 11:10 PM

I am not looking forward to seeing Stuart Smiley in all those campaign ads.

infidel on January 31, 2007 at 11:14 PM

(Whoops:)

…people like me:

(Alright.) No, Al – they still don’t.

SpartRan on January 31, 2007 at 11:15 PM

Would that make him the first actor not named Fred to serve in Congress?

I think that would be Ben “Cooter” Jones.

B Moe on January 31, 2007 at 11:43 PM

Fred Thompson … let’s not compare apples to hydrualic torque wrenches.

Tony737 on February 1, 2007 at 12:02 AM

JammieWearingFool on January 31, 2007 at 9:54 PM

Yup. Those schmuks across the river voted for Ellison didn’t they. God help us in Minnesota. Maybe I’ll move to Kullyfornya where they’re not so liberal.

oakpack on February 1, 2007 at 12:12 AM

The media will be behind him until he body checks his first reporter.

- The Cat

MirCat on February 1, 2007 at 12:22 AM

There are about nine Jews living in Minnesota and that senate seat was held by Wellstone before Coleman and Boschwitz before Wellstone. Now Franken?

Coleman already has experience losing to a third party candidate and I can see it happening again with two Jewish liberals, one a Republican convert, running against a conservative Lutheran with a Scandanavian name.

Perchant on February 1, 2007 at 12:32 AM

I don’t think there was much of a choice involved there – he sucked Air America dry. He has to go to a more stable paying job – one where he gets paid by taxpayers

Rick on February 1, 2007 at 1:02 AM

Don’t worry. All he has to do is start talking and he will empty the room or hall. He was awful as a talk radio host because he was boring. When his co-host left the show, he became even more rambling and incoherent. He’s going to need a personality transplant. Oy.

Which Grateful Dead song will he use as his campaign theme?

Mallard T. Drake on February 1, 2007 at 1:53 AM

I’m good enough, I’m smart enough, and dog-gone it, people like me:

No……. not really.

We {I} disagree with your point of view, your politics, and basically your humor.

We {I} put up with you as a bad writer on SNL, but when you got personal with Conservatives and President Bush…. well… I wished you ill will….. I apologize.

You are a child of God. Go forth, and good fortune.

I suggest a trip to Iran….

God Speed….

PinkyBigglesworth on February 1, 2007 at 2:40 AM

Jim Treacher you are partially right………
You had FRED Grandy from “The Love Boat”, (R-Iowa) served a few terms in the House and you’re forgetting George Murphy (R-California), a Ronald Reagan buddy served one term in the Senate. He was, like Reagan, a president of the Screen Actors Guild.

Jeff on February 1, 2007 at 4:04 AM

This is going to be very entertaining.

JackM on February 1, 2007 at 6:09 AM

even though this scumbag creep sickens me, I know there are people stupid enough to vote for this cretin..

retired on February 1, 2007 at 7:12 AM

Why does he always have that stupid look on his face?

bloggless on February 1, 2007 at 7:15 AM

Al’s smart enough to know that he can be just as comically productive in the Senate as he was on, let’s say, SNL or AirAmerica. You can almost predict the asinine legislation he’ll bring to the floor. Something along the lines as this FAIRNESS Bill.

USN6872 on February 1, 2007 at 7:20 AM

Why does he always have that stupid look on his face?

bloggless on February 1, 2007 at 7:15 AM

Because AP doesn’t do screencaps of smarmy unwarranted smugness?

James on February 1, 2007 at 7:23 AM

I wonder how far he’ll be in his campaign before he says something really dumb/crazy/offensive and blasts himself out of the water?

A week?

A day?

Will he pull a Joe Biden?

Place your bets!

MoxArgon on February 1, 2007 at 7:30 AM

Place your bets!

MoxArgon on February 1, 2007 at 7:30 AM

I put the over/under at 4 days.

$50, on the under

TwinkietheKid on February 1, 2007 at 7:52 AM

James, I don’t know what AP does with the pics. I don’t even know what a screencap is. I can only finds pics of Al where he looks like an a-hole. See what I mean?:

bloggless on February 1, 2007 at 8:05 AM

I can only finds pics of Al where he looks like an a-hole.

bloggless on February 1, 2007 at 8:05 AM

Sure, there’s that. I was making a similar point point that the only other way he ever looks is smarmy and smug, and Allah chooses to feature Franken’s ‘slack-jawed moron’ look, which is the more comedic of the two.

James on February 1, 2007 at 8:30 AM

Does he live in Minnesota? Like Hillary lived in New York?

Ann on February 1, 2007 at 8:34 AM

I cannot stomach this man either, but it will be entertaining to watch him run. I do not believe he has what it takes. He has a very thin skin.

CrimsonFisted on February 1, 2007 at 8:50 AM

Did anyone get footage of when Al was physically ejected from the Fox building for threatening Sean Hannity?

Good use of that tape could be made, if it exists.

JackM on February 1, 2007 at 8:55 AM

And Smalley’s agenda will be what? To serve in the best interests of the United States? Somehow I doubt it. He’s another sleazeball who’s after wealth and power.

He also needs to get some new glasses. He looks like he’s wearing satellite dishes.

Franken = Self serving scumbag

darwin on February 1, 2007 at 9:02 AM

A perfect position for him, it’s the only job left in America where he can work less than he did at Air America.

Alden Pyle on February 1, 2007 at 9:13 AM

Rick on February 1, 2007 at 1:02 AM

Bingo! Lefties don’t do radio well nor a lot of other things, but they sure do know how to get other people’s money.

naliaka on February 1, 2007 at 9:42 AM

Well, Franken isn’t really making it as a comedian, or radio personality, or serious author… might as well try politics. We have plenty of clowns in congress now, so he should fit right in. If politics doesn’t work for him, maybe he should try the circus.

Lawrence on February 1, 2007 at 9:47 AM

This is gonna be one of the greatest things ever. He might actually be as funny as,and probably funnier than, he was back when he was smoking John Belushi’s rhino-tranquilizer pot.
The sheer incoherence of him trying to rationally explain anything is sure to be comedy gold. Gold I tells ya.
I really look forward to him viciously attacking moderately-leftist “journalists” as they lob what they think are soft-ball questions. Think of the debates!! All Norm Coleman will have to do is mention Iraq or Iran or, heaven forfend, Haliburton!, and watch out. The spittle and venom and sputtering, incoherent outrage spewing from his mouth as his head spins around like a top and his eyes bulge out like tennis balls will just be beautiful to see. Beautiful.
I might move to Minnesota just so I won’t miss a minute of it. Heck, I might even volunteer to be on his campaign. I don’t want to miss one second.
And imagine when a hard-core lefty gets to ask him a question!! Those people have absolutely no sense of reality and think that anybody who disagrees with them is either stupid, evil or both. Think about having a Senate candidate for a major party actually expounding on, in front of God and everybody, all the crazy conspiracy theories rampant on the far-left. Bill O’Reilly’s not going to have a problem getting a Ridiculous Item of the Day. I might even have to start watching the end of his show just to see it.

Comedy Gold!! E! should get him to do a reality TV show revolving around it. Heck, I would subscribe to HBO if they had that show.
Comedy gold!
And that even leaves out the fact that James Lileks will be our correspondant on the ground. Think of his columns!

I’ve been pretty despondent about the 08 election. I want to vote against just about everybody who’s running from either party, this will at least be entertaining.

Veeshir on February 1, 2007 at 10:10 AM

Stop! I say Stop All The Criticism of Al Franken’s run for the Senate. Every conservative should get behind Al Franken and support his election. This is the best thing we could hope for short of Barbra Streisand in Congress.

You know that Minnesota is hopelessly liberal and will elect a Democrat. Do you really want them to elect an effective one? Al Franken is like one big lefty pinyata for us to beat on. He is all Bad Attitude. All Show and no Go. It would be great for the Democrats to have a posturing buffoon like Franken on their team. Heck, think about it, even the lefties couldn’t stand to listen to him on the radio. How do you think his routine will fly in a closed meeting room full of egomaniac liberals?

We will not be able to construct a bigger and better argument against leftist thinking than Al Franken. ELECT HIM NOW! Help him make fools of the Democrats.

Tantor on February 1, 2007 at 11:17 AM

Oh, the old “I’m setting up an exploratory committee so I HAVE TO QUIT MY WILDLY sucessful radio show” excuse.

Nice.

seejanemom on February 1, 2007 at 11:26 AM

Just because a man plays an idiot on TV doesnt mean he really is an idiot.

I mean, it doesnt NECESSARILY mean he really is an idiot.

You know.

Labamigo on February 1, 2007 at 1:25 PM

Why does he always have that stupid look on his face?

bloggless on February 1, 2007 at 7:15 AM

That’s not a look. He’s overwhelmed by reality.

BacaDog on February 1, 2007 at 2:12 PM

But hey, he might have a chance– if all those Somali cab drivers vote for him…

Doda McCheesle on February 1, 2007 at 2:44 PM

Tantor on February 1, 2007 at 11:17 AM

Right. Our mom says we don’t like steak…..

honora on February 1, 2007 at 3:12 PM

I knew from the moment that Sen. Harkin took off his coat and rolled up his sleeves at that dreadful funeral that the seat was lost for the liberals. Then I stayed up very, very late, still having to find out later the next morning that Sen. Norm Coleman won, and rejoyced for decency.

However, I have not been impressed with Mr. Coleman, lately. Having traveled much to MN for business, those Swedish people are well-meaning, and, well…socialist. It’s simply ingrained in them from generations ago. That being what it is, they can have him.

Must say, however, that the same folks have surprised me often, to the contrary of expectations. It’s a state which leans blue, and occasionally goes in the opposite to rebel. That w/b more likely if Mr. Coleman were unknown.

Entelechy on February 1, 2007 at 4:12 PM

Run Forest Run.

right2bright on February 1, 2007 at 9:35 PM

I hope al does one of his “private patented meltdowns” for all to see. It should get tongues wagging nicely.

tormod on February 2, 2007 at 7:29 AM