Video: “The Real McCain”

posted at 9:52 am on January 30, 2007 by Allahpundit

From Brave New Films, a leftist production company co-founded by “Outfoxed” director/Olbermann stooge Robert Greenwald, comes this enjoyable little highlight reel of gotchas at St. John’s expense. The ironic music is heavy-handed, as all MoveOn-esque propaganda is and must be, but opening each segment with that smug “straight talk” clip is funny.

The clip comes from the website of the same name. Exit question: Are they going after McCain because they know he’s the likely nominee and want to start beating up on him early? Or because they suspect he’s a closet liberal who betrayed the cause? Or both?

Comments

Yeah…I can understand if someone to the right of McCain is making a film like this, but someone to the left? I guess they’re trying to soften him up for Hillary.

asc85 on January 30, 2007 at 10:03 AM

Will the real John McCain please stand up.

dalewalt on January 30, 2007 at 10:07 AM

Both, but more the latter than the former. He campaigned in my state, not his own state, for passage of a rather draconian gun control bill that, since it passed (among other things) requires you to go through all the security checks of you want to buy a flintlock. This man will never get anything from me but my contempt.

P. James Moriarty on January 30, 2007 at 10:16 AM

I guess they’re trying to soften him up for Hillary.

asc85 on January 30, 2007 at 10:03 AM

I concure.

Lawrence on January 30, 2007 at 10:17 AM

In my view, if we elect McCain, I think it could be likened to another 4 years of Bush, in that he is strong on the war (or at least has been trying to make himself look that way lately), a fiscal conservative, but is really weak on a lot of domestic issues(Bush: immigration, spending; McCain: immigration, gun control)…

Just something to ponder

Viewtifulgare on January 30, 2007 at 10:22 AM

This is just the teaser folks… the real meat and potatoes battle is just warming on the stove…

Viper1 on January 30, 2007 at 10:31 AM

That is what McCain gets for playing with words. He is for the “ceremony” but he is not for the legal recognition. He should have made that clear the first time he spoke. He said the war would be easy. Areference to the military victory over Saddam. Semantics always comes back to bite you in the arse, just ask Johnny Sutton

Theworldisnotenough on January 30, 2007 at 10:32 AM

It could be the video is trying to split the republican party and bring out a third party candidate to weaken the independent vote come the general election.

But that would be in a normal election year. We are one whole year away from the first primaries. We are in uncharted waters and someone smarter than me has already figured out what the purpose of this video is, so far out from the election. Given the short term memory of the electorate, it must have a short term goal. No matter what the result, McCain isn’t going to drop out of the race. He’s got too much time to do damage control.

Heck, this wouldn’t be a blip on the radar even if it were in October 2008.

csdeven on January 30, 2007 at 10:33 AM

Remember the Keating 5 ? ? ? Naaahh can’t be. Well hush my mouth and kick me in the arse.

oldelpasoan on January 30, 2007 at 11:00 AM

McCain who?

Newtmania for the new millenia!

Editor on January 30, 2007 at 11:15 AM

Are you really surprised? Really?

doginblack on January 30, 2007 at 11:19 AM

Effective piece.

infidel4life on January 30, 2007 at 11:28 AM

I will never, ever cast a vote in favor of mccain.

He has proven time and again his disdain for the Constitution of this country. Campaign finance is nothing but a law that enables the government to stop free speech during election campaigns, mccain’s bill. Also high on his list is taking guns away from law abiding citizens. I forget which anti-gun group paid for it (soros comes to mind), but I remember his commercial in support of more gun control laws. We can never forget his instrumental role in subverting the President’s ability to get his judicial appointees voted on.

I do not trust, like, or support mccain, and if he becomes the republican nominee next year…. Well, it will be the first time since 1980, that I will not cast a vote for President.

still468 on January 30, 2007 at 11:47 AM

Gosh, Johnny Boy, all that sucking up to liberals and what has it gotten you? Certainly no gratitude or support from the left who’s votes you were actively courting while repeatedly stabbing conservatism in the back.

You’ve sowed the wind, now reap the whirlwind, Mr. DoubleTalk Express.

thirteen28 on January 30, 2007 at 12:07 PM

Get off the double talk express.

That just doesn’t apply to McCain.

Kini on January 30, 2007 at 12:13 PM

This is old history but it should be viewed by anyone that is wondering about John McCain.

Big Mountain – Black Mesa

Do searches for Big Mountain Black Mesa and Peabody Coal.

AZPatriot on January 30, 2007 at 12:21 PM

i wasn’t really paying attention, but i fail to see how there’s any inconsistancy in his gay marriage position.

in any case, this is exactly what i was saying a year ago when all of his mavericking was getting him phoney applause in the la times and such. the second he moves for higher office, he’s the nazi who used the “g” word in reference to the noble peasent revolutionaries who treated him so much better than america’s torture victims in guantanamo bay.

jummy on January 30, 2007 at 12:35 PM

McCain has one advantage over his 2 current rivals–he could possibly bring in California. Heard something really jarring on one of the Sunday programs: interviewing a fellow who is backing Guiliani, guy from Mass, Congressman I think?

Anyway talking about Guiliani and his perceived weakness among cultural conservatives, this guy commented “well that will be an issue in the South. But where are they going to go? Yikes!”

honora on January 30, 2007 at 12:51 PM

…..well that will be an issue in the South. But where are they going to go? Yikes!”

Unless they come up with their own candidate, I tend to agree if that means the Southern Religious Far Right. I’m not so sure about the regular, conservative southerner. As there really isn’t what I would consider a real conservative in the mix yet, they may go elsewhere (vote for a democrat), or just simply stay home out of disgust.

I feel that the theory applies more firmly to the nutroots from the left. There may be some nutcase like Kusinich pop up for awhile, but, on election day, the nuts will pull the “D” lever.

BacaDog on January 30, 2007 at 1:49 PM

To the left, left, left right left. My mind keeps changing, am I left or right, I change my opinion from day to night. To the left, left, left right left….

This isn’t a far left nor a far right conclusion…..it’s a far gone conclusion. Save your $$$ John, your a loser!

soulsirkus on January 30, 2007 at 3:06 PM

Why is this incorrect statement continually forced upon us? It’s bad enough when the left wing-media does it, but do we really have to listen to it here?

There’s absolutely zero chance McCain could win the GOP nomination. ZERO!

Gregor on January 30, 2007 at 4:35 PM

Don’t know about absolutely zero chance, Gregor, but I hope you are right.

I swear though, if he did get the nomination and ran against Hillary, I’m not sure what I’d do. At least with her, I’d for sure know what I was getting even if I hated everything she stood for. With McCain, I’m not sure you’d ever know where he was headed next.

Geez, talk about the lesser of two evils.

BacaDog on January 30, 2007 at 6:56 PM

Thank you John McCain for the sacrifices you have made for the country, both in the military and Senate. I know you are a proponent of bipartisian politics, and have teamed with Democrats to introduce much legislation. John,I feel by compromizing you may have avoided long squables on the Senate floor, and by participating in the gang of 14 you held off the Republican nuclear option to bring the Democrats filibuster to an end. John, in hindesight I think your medelsome pandering to the other side of the aisle was nothing more than grandstanding and weakness. By blinking first, at the time of the Democratic filibuster and by teaming with Senator Clinton or numourous occasions you have raised a suspicion concerning your loyality to your constituency. At this time I am withdrawing my support for your Presidential bid in 08 and supporting Former Arkansas Governer Mike Huckabee. With a name like Huckabee he has to be good !

sonnyspats1 on January 30, 2007 at 7:42 PM

Huckabee ’08′

sonnyspats1 on January 30, 2007 at 7:44 PM

I’ll give them the “McCain is a two-faced politician” point.

But, now, they have to apply the same logic to the pre-war intel stuff, and make a little movie about the Democrats.

DaveS on January 30, 2007 at 10:13 PM

This precisely why people are fed up with all politicians.

Mellen on January 31, 2007 at 12:38 AM