Video: Iraq war vet Joshua Sparling talks about being spit at, proposes to his girlfriend

posted at 9:17 am on January 30, 2007 by Allahpundit

I almost gave you the clip of his appearance on H&C last night instead, where Colmesy wondered aloud why stuff like this keeps happening to Sparling. The implication being that he either invites the abuse somehow or that he’s simply making it all up.

Note to Alan: he’s not making it all up.

Had to bump that clip in favor of this one, though. I haven’t seen a moment on television this tender since Keith Olbermann interviewed Bill Clinton.

Update: Steve Doocy’s intro isn’t accurate, at least if the Times’s account is to be believed. Sparling was spit at, not on.

Update: “A man could make a fortune selling Geritol to these people.”

Comments

Imagine if Sparling had retaliated and spat on one of these cowardly, uniformed and brainwashed hippies.

Before the spit had dried, the shocked hippie victim would be on his cell phone talking to a lawyer. Then a suit would be filed, the MSM would be all over the case, and Katie would do an up-close and personal interview with the spittee. Chrissy and Olby would frantically dig up some damaging dirt from Sparling’s past, rush to the airwaves and tell America that Josh may have used the “n” word while attending Bible Study camp.

Hippie spits on soldier …. MSM ignores story

Evil soldier spits back …. Neverending coverage

You could bank on it!

fogw on January 30, 2007 at 9:50 AM

Address? This young family is in need of presents.

Kevin M on January 30, 2007 at 9:51 AM

Beautiful couple.

bloggless on January 30, 2007 at 10:02 AM

Kevin’s right. Mention was made of financial troubles.

thebookkeeper on January 30, 2007 at 10:04 AM

Alleged Peace Rally

Indeed.

I think we need to see this description used more often when discussin these so-called peace rallies.

Lawrence on January 30, 2007 at 10:12 AM

Did you say “making it all up”? Who on earth would fake a story involving an American soldier???

TexasRainmaker on January 30, 2007 at 10:17 AM

Speaking with absoulte moral authority, there are times when I wish I could forget that I’m a civilized Christian and this is one of them.

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on January 30, 2007 at 10:57 AM

The vaginas are seething.

bloggless on January 30, 2007 at 11:01 AM

Does anyone know where they’re registered?

Radish on January 30, 2007 at 11:06 AM

[I]t’s hard to rile up a crowd when so many attendees are afraid to stray too far from the porta-potties

*snort*

spmat on January 30, 2007 at 12:05 PM

Nice (but not surprising) of Alan Colmes to try to blame the victim. Liberals always hate it when their lies–in this case “supporting the troops”–are exposed.

My best wishes to the young couple, though.

ReubenJCogburn on January 30, 2007 at 12:07 PM

I vote that we googlebomb adult diapers for the elder statespersons, our dear friends on the anti-military left.

spmat on January 30, 2007 at 12:10 PM

Oh well, the same old story. When I was wearing a uniform during the Vietnam conflict, I was spit at (not on) twice and called a baby killer. I have never forgiven those so called peachniks.

navy1946 on January 30, 2007 at 12:58 PM

I assume this is the same Joshua Sparling that was at Walter Reed for Christmas where I sent him a package of homemade goodies. He’s been recovering from his injuries for over a year. I wonder if the address is still good. I think Michelle had it posted on her site.

It was nice to finally see him in “person”. If H/A can post his address, I’d like to send him some financial aid.

Texas Gal on January 30, 2007 at 2:06 PM

OK, I got the video to work for me and based on what his father said about still being at Walter Reed (I assume the family is at Fisher House). Here is the address I have for Joshua at Walter Reed:

Pfc. Joshua Sparling
c/o Walter Reed Army Medical Center
6900 Georgia Avenue N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20307-5001

Texas Gal on January 30, 2007 at 2:13 PM

Mazel Tov Josh and Laura!

The Ugly American on January 30, 2007 at 2:42 PM

What’s the difference? Because the spitter had bad aim? Semantics.

(am I the only one thinking of Seinfeld, when Kramer and Newman were spit on by Roger McDowell hiding in by the gravely road, when all those years they thought it was Keith Hernandez? “That is one magic loogie!”)

RightWinged on January 30, 2007 at 3:53 PM

May God Bless You and Yours Joshua Sparling and Congradulations on both of your Engagements, Your Beautiful Wife to Be and the Ememy in Iraq. Now go make a bunch of little Sparlings. Salute! (sicilian version)

sonnyspats1 on January 30, 2007 at 6:01 PM

Colmes makes the false assumption that these incidents are only happenning to Josh. I believe that Josh’s experience are just the tip of the hateful iceberg. We just happen to know about these incidents because he became a little famous.

I’ll bet the same stuff is happenning to most of the other guys in uniform but not made public. The lefty idiot who sent the hate card to Josh at Walter Reed boasted that he had sent several others to other veteran’s hospitals. They probably got tossed in the trash without comment. Josh’s case became publicly known almost by accident, because a blogger published it.

I’ve heard a fair amount of ugly stories of public abuse of our military through the grapevine but the guys involved are embarassed by it and don’t want to dwell on it. They just want to press on to the positive. I believe there is a constant dribble of abuse of the military in public which is simply not being reported.

Josh Sparling’s story is representative, not an anomaly.

Tantor on January 30, 2007 at 6:04 PM

Thx texasgal! I’ll send him a letter tomorrow and if he responds with an address or where they are registered, I’ll send it to hotair and post it here.

(txgal said)
Pfc. Joshua Sparling
c/o Walter Reed Army Medical Center
6900 Georgia Avenue N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20307-5001

Kevin M on January 30, 2007 at 6:58 PM

This is what I’m sending.

Pfc. Joshua Sparling
c/o Walter Reed Army Medical Center
6900 Georgia Avenue N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20307-5001

Pfc. Sparling,

I saw you on FOX News. I congratulate you on your engagement, and am grateful that you serve to keep us safe here at home. We would like to send you something to both thank you for your service and share your joy in your marriage. Could you do one of the following?

- Open up a PO box and give me the address (warning, it will be published on the web).
- Create a website where donations are accepted.
- Let us know where you are registered (warning, it will be published on the web).

Any one choice will do. Most Americans love our troops, and have a special place in our hearts for people who have worked to keep us safe, and have lost so much for that noble goal. If you give us the ability to do this small thing to show you our support, it would make us proud.

(sorry for not mentioning hotair, but I didn’t want to cloud the issue… yet)

Kevin M on January 30, 2007 at 7:15 PM

thanks Texas Gal and Kevin M… Ditto. I’m in.

Zorro on January 30, 2007 at 8:02 PM

This is what I’m sending Dear Micheal Crook, It has come to my attention that you are the individual who have been sending greeting cards to military personel. At this time I am requesting that you cease and decist sending your little love notes. The fighting men and women of the United States military do deserve a whole hearted Thank You !for serving so selflessly and it seems a small group of citizens have found it in their heart to Honor them. If you ever go to a town called Washington DC you may notice the memorials, and most states, cities,towns,bergs,hamlets,villages. Thank you for thinking of our fighting men, let me assure you they will be thinking of you. P. S. I saw a rendering of your likeness online. It was very well done in a Piccasso sort of way.

sonnyspats1 on January 30, 2007 at 8:07 PM

Thanks to Texas Gal, I will send a congrats card to them both. They’re really a cute couple. I wish them nothing but happiness. I think the peaceniks are the worst. They don’t deserve to live here. I cannot stand them & Alan Colmes can jump into the Hudson. He has no clue.

Catie96706 on January 30, 2007 at 9:53 PM

Phuckin’ hippie coward. So big and brave, spitting at a woun ded Soldier knowing damn well he’s not gonna retaliate. I’d like to him go to Iraq or Afghanistan and spit on an insurgent. But that’ll never happen since A) He’s a punk and doesn’t have the balls and B) Why spit on his allies? Besides, they said themselves, they’re all old, no young folks are showin’ up to protest. Maybe ’cause the young appreciate their freedom (or maybe they’re too busy playin’ with their little Wii Wii’s)

“We support the Troops but not their mission.” Uh huh. They sure have a funny way of showin’ it. Hey “Moonbeam”, or whatever your 60′s hippie name is, the Troops ARE the mission!

Tony737 on January 30, 2007 at 11:17 PM

If I ever see an anti-war protester spit on a veteran, or threaten them in any way, even if it is just calling them “baby killer”, I will hurt them.

I think that such behavior is part of liberals stock in trade. Being vicious pigs is what they do best, when they think they can get away with it. Like when threatening an amputee. You hear that Honora, Jaher, shackler? It is no wonder that you aren’t commenting. You’re cowards like all your kind, and by not condemning this behavior it means that you condone it.

May God bless Sparling and his wife-to-be. May he give them many years together in happiness. He is a better man than anyone on the left, and he deserves all the happiness that he can have in life.

georgej on January 31, 2007 at 1:22 AM

No reply yet. I’m thinking he didn’t get the letter :(.

Kevin M on February 14, 2007 at 10:58 PM