Video: “300″ Trailer

posted at 1:40 am on January 30, 2007 by Ian

The film adaption of the comic created by the sane Frank Miller and it looks amazing:

Comments

This is what I wrote the last time I saw this trailer (in english) somewhere…

Other than cool visuals I don’t see what else 300 goes for it.

After seeing the trailer all I got out of it was…

WE ARE SPARTANS!
SPARTANS FIGHT!
SPARTANS ARE BRED TO FIGHT!
WE ARE FROM SPARTA! AND THOSE WHO ARE FROM SPARTA FIGHT!
THIS IS MADNESS! THIS IS SPARTA! WHERE INCIDENTLY WE ALSO FIGHT!
IN SPARTA WE FIGHT A LOT!
In Sparta we live naked… AND FIGHT!
IN SPARTA WE OIL OUR BODIES TO FIGHT!
What happens in Sparta? WE FIGHT!
If you were to fight where would you be? Chances are… SPARTA!
Do they fight in other Greek states? Probably, but not as much as SPARTA!
The Irish are the decendents of SPARTANS!
Music and Liturature was not as important to Spartans… CAUSE SPARTANS FIGHT!
There were three times more Slaves than spartans in Sparta, SO OBVIOUSLY THE SLAVES DID NOT FIGHT LIKE THE SPARTANS! WHO FIGHT!
THE FRENCH ARN’T SPARTANS! CAUSE THEY DON’T FIGHT!
WE SHALL DINE IN HADES… WAIT… THAT’S RIGHT THIS IS AN ADAPTION, SO WE HAVE TO SAY HELL! THAT MAKES IT SOUND LIKE WE ARE BADASSES! CAUSE IN THE CHRISTIAN RELIGION HELL HAS NEGATIVE CONNOTATIONS AND IS FOR BAD PEOPLE… AND SPARTANS ARE BAD PEOPLE CAUSE SPARTANS FIGHT!
There are some things people can’t fight, for everything else, there’s SPARTA!

I have a question… if 100,000 troops landed on your shore, who would you wish you were if wanted to fight?

I know I would want to be a SPARTAN!

Keljeck on January 30, 2007 at 1:57 AM

If anyone is in the mood for a film about one of the founding cultures of Western civilization resisting an invasion from Iran, it has potential.

Coyote D. on January 30, 2007 at 2:03 AM

Keljeck, I’m afraid I had just about the same reaction as you. The historical account is compelling enough in its scope and glory, the 300 trailer ruins it in attempting to overglorify the glorious glory.

Perhaps the full-length feature is not so bad, but I was underwhelmed. I guess if you’re an adrenalin junkie who can’t sit still through a movie if there is a solid minute without deadly action…

Freelancer on January 30, 2007 at 2:23 AM

Why is this trailer in German?

EFG on January 30, 2007 at 2:33 AM

Not that there’s anything wrong with That, but were the 300……Totally Gay, or some new CGI combo of Gay and Goth?

Growling and hissing in German only makes their apparent bent more pronounced. Rmemeber those gladiator movies coming out of Italy in the Sixties? This takes Those to a Whole New Level…..of what, I’m still guessing

Janos Hunyadi on January 30, 2007 at 2:45 AM

One of the 7 most important battles of the ancient world, which spawned a number of famous sayings:

“Come home with your shield or on it.”

“Μολών Λαβέ” ["Come and get them!"] Leonidas’ response to the Great King’s demand that they surrender their weapons.

“Our arrows will blot out the sun,” said the Great King’s man. “So much the better, then we’ll fight in the shade,” said Dienekes.

“Ὦ ξεῖν’, ἀγγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις ὅτι τῇδε
κείμεθα, τοῖς κείνων ῥήμασι πειθόμενοι.”

Read the Gates of Fire, by Steven Pressfield. Thermopylae literally save our civilization.

georgej on January 30, 2007 at 2:56 AM

georgej on January 30, 2007 at 2:56 AM

Yes, it did, so I have a problem with a cartoonish movie that turns the extraordinary courage and determination of the Spartans into a freakish B-movie.

There was a movie made 40 years ago about this battle; I’ve heard that film ridiculed, but I liked it when I was a kid and it made its point well enough.

Janos Hunyadi on January 30, 2007 at 3:18 AM

I’d like to point out that this is a movie based on the COMIC BOOK that Frank Miller wrote based on Thermopylae. Cartoonish movie? Well, D’UH! It’s not meant to be a history lesson but to be entertainment.

I swear, I think some of ya’ll probably complained about how unrealistic Bambi was…a deer befriending a rabbit??? PSHAW! How dare Disney force such utter unrealistic claptrap down our throats!

wolfva on January 30, 2007 at 4:01 AM

here is the second trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhi5x7V3WXE

I think its better than the first.

Speaking of the first trailer, here is the english version:

Sammy316 on January 30, 2007 at 4:12 AM

Thanks Sammy. We can’t all be polyglots here.

EFG on January 30, 2007 at 4:18 AM

Dude, it is a movie based on a comic based on a real event. It is entertainment nothing more.

Theworldisnotenough on January 30, 2007 at 4:19 AM

Oh yeah thanks Ian! Now post a link to the new Tranformers trailer.

Theworldisnotenough on January 30, 2007 at 4:22 AM

Eh. I’m enthused by this trailer.

I guess this explains why I wasn’t all that keen on seeing “Wuthering Heights.”

Damn chick flicks. I got tricked into seeing “Notting Hill” with Julia Roberts. I’ll never make that mistake again, no matter how much my girl friend tries to convince me otherwise.

So yeah. I’m cool with the 300 movie. It speaks my language.

EFG on January 30, 2007 at 4:26 AM

Here it is in high Def and in English.

Egfrow on January 30, 2007 at 4:26 AM

This is such a guy flick, it’s so funny.

Keljeck on January 30, 2007 at 1:57 AM

Ahaha, spot on.

emmaline1138 on January 30, 2007 at 5:19 AM

Well, the spartans did save Europe, but they weren’t very good role models. The few thousand Spartans had a quarter of a million slaves. Maybe thralls is a better word. Still, the movie looks cool! Doesn’t look b-movie to me at all Janos.

Kevin M on January 30, 2007 at 5:39 AM

Janos Hunyadi on January 30, 2007 at 3:18 AM

I know, I have it on DVD. The 300 Spartans (1962), It’s available from Amazon. It is not the best movie, that’s for sure, but the film was made on location — at Thermopylae and elsewhere in Greece.

I don’t know if I’m going to spend the money to see this new movie in the theater. I saw a “behind the scenes” video of this movie, and most of it appears to be green screened. Those cast as Spartans had a “boot camp” that left most of them in better shape then they have ever been in, or so the director claimed. Certainly, they Greeks look buffed and fit.

More likely, I’ll wait until the film hits DVD. And if it is as bad as some fear, that means by Memorial Day. ;^)

georgej on January 30, 2007 at 6:28 AM

When I heard they were making a new movie about Thermopily … Thermopoli … Thermop … *this very important battle* … I was all jazzed up, ’cause the old one wasn’t that good, but after seeing the cartoonish preview on TV I was disappointed. Why do they hafta ruin such a world changing event? (Yes I’m one of “THOOOOOSE people”) On the bright side, it might get kids interested in history. Maybe they’ll do some research on the true story and see how close they came to NOT living the way they do today because of the actions of so few, so long ago.

Tony737 on January 30, 2007 at 7:37 AM

Haven’t watched the trailer yet, but… 300? Thermopylae? We talking about the Sacred Band here?

So civilisation was saved by 300 gay guys. I’m looking forward to Soothsayer’s reaction to this..

(cue someone pointing out they were from Thebes and not Sparta)

Reaps on January 30, 2007 at 7:42 AM

Oh my, what an unacceptable level of Geekdom. German versions? Poor quality YouTube versions? Madness.

Here’s the large version of both trailers…

Teaser Trailer

Theatrical Trailer

Memnon on January 30, 2007 at 7:54 AM

Is it me, or is CGI starting to make movies worse?

I mean, I’ve accepted the fact that we’ll never see mass extras used, like in Olivier’s Henry V or any of the Technicolor Epics, but CGI is turning too many action movie into cartoons or Playstation games.

It’s like watching a video game now, and every movie tries to outdo the previous film, with completely off the wall scenes. I’m thinking Flyboys right now.

Even the History channel, more and more CGI – dang, give me the old grainy black and white film, ameteur re-enactors and clever editing any day of the week.

Plus, I just found out they’ve gone back and “enchanced” the original Star Trek with CGI.

CGI be damned!

reaganaut on January 30, 2007 at 8:49 AM

Help me out here… why is this in German?

morganfrost on January 30, 2007 at 8:59 AM

I love it when the History Channel uses that CGI on “Dog Fights” and “Shootout”. It’s beautiful. But yeah they use it too much in movies now.

Tony737 on January 30, 2007 at 8:59 AM

Children brutalizing each other…..oh no! BAN IT!
Homosexuality…………………..oh no! BAN IT!
Murder and Mayhem……………….oh no! BAN IT!

Sparta/Thebes was….well Sparta/Thebes…

To get it RIGHT I guess Alex Haley would have had to told Roots without the slavery part.

I’ll go give Frank some of my money.

Limerick on January 30, 2007 at 9:07 AM

Help me out here… why is this in German?

Because German makes everything sound cooler. Especially when they’re yelling.

And hey, it looks better than Troy! I’d rather have people constantly going

WE ARE SPARTANS!
SPARTANS FIGHT!
SPARTANS ARE BRED TO FIGHT!

Instead of

I AM A GREAT WARRIOR
BUT OH HOW I DO LOATHE THE WAR
BUT I MUST FIGHT FOR LOVE
BUT LOATHING THIS WAR MAKES ME APPEALING TO THE HOT CHICKS IN THE AUDIENCE
*pec flex*
OH WHAT TRAGEDY THIS WAR IS!

etc etc..

And, once again, it’s very bizarre to hear Nine Inch Nails music being used in settings like this. I still think Reznor must froth at the mouth every time Fox News uses his music in War Stories..

Reaps on January 30, 2007 at 9:14 AM

Tony737 on January 30, 2007 at 7:37 AM

And the bolded part is how you should look at it. A movie should be for entertainment, not for learning history. As Mel Gibson said in reference to some historical liberties taken in one of his movies, he basically said (paraphrasing) “this is a movie, if you want to learn the history, go read a book.” I totally agree with the sentiment.

I saw Braveheart before I ever read a word about William Wallace. But the movie motivated me to read a book about him, at which time it became abundantly clear that the storyline of the movie did not match the actual history in any more than a very broad sense. Ditto for the movie Troy, which motivated me to read The Iliad.

Bottom line, movies should be looked at as entertainment and not be held to the same standards as a documentary on the subject, but if the movie motivates someone to study the real underlying history, then that’s a very positive development.

And as for ’300′, it looks so totally cool!

thirteen28 on January 30, 2007 at 10:59 AM

I guess I’m not in the “target market” for this particular style (where every action shot and every line of dialogue seems like it’s amped up to “10″). The visuals look great but, except for males between the ages of 12 and 15, they will only carry an audience so far. I’ll probably see it anyway.

SWLiP on January 30, 2007 at 11:01 AM

Tony737 on January 30, 2007 at 8:59 AM

Ditto that, big time.

Also, CGI was used to build about 3/4 of the Roman Colosseum in ‘Gladiator’. I think it’s a net plus.

thirteen28 on January 30, 2007 at 11:02 AM

georgej on January 30, 2007 at 2:56 AM

I’ve read the “Gates of Fire” and it is a great book. A co-worker and I were talking about the movie “300″. I told him I had the book and he asked to borrow it. Great BOOK!

Great analogy by Coyote D in the second post above.

LurP on January 30, 2007 at 12:04 PM

georgej on January 30, 2007 at 2:56 AM

I have and read the book “Gates of Fire”. It is a great book. A co-worker and I were talking about the movie”300″. I told him I had the book and he asked to borrow it. Hope I get it back.

Great analogy by Coyote D in the second post above.

LurP on January 30, 2007 at 12:13 PM

300 Spartans killed a Muslim Army of hundreds of thousands.

Looooooooooove it.

This Army was from present day Iran (Persian Army)and they were trying to conquer the world, which makes this movie in more kick ass!!!!

The Spartans sacrificed themselves for Freedom and Democracy and saved the world!!

angryamerican on January 30, 2007 at 12:30 PM

Little slow there.

msipes on January 30, 2007 at 12:40 PM

This movie is going to be friggin’ EPIC!!!!

I can’t wait to see it!

Yakko77 on January 30, 2007 at 12:56 PM

Another great book about the era….this time Troy
‘Fires in the Sky’ by Phillip Parotti

..you libs might want to avoid it….all that duty, honor, justice stuff will get in the way.

Limerick on January 30, 2007 at 1:09 PM

300 Spartans killed a Muslim Army of hundreds of thousands.

Looooooooooove it.

angryamerican on January 30, 2007 at 12:30 PM

They weren’t Muslim. They were Persians. The Islamic religeon hadn’t been formed yet.

EFG on January 30, 2007 at 3:14 PM

Meanwhile, it’s silly to look at “300″ as a historical film. Spartans did not prize the modern concept of freedom any more than the invading Persians rode rhinoceroses. Rather, it’s an attempt to tell a heroic mythological tale based roughly on a historical event–more “Lord of the Rings” than docudrama, with only the most compelling parts of the real affair preserved. It’s to the actual battle of Thermopylae as the Iliad was to the real Trojan war; not particularly accurate (unless you believe there actually was a magically invulnerable man named Achilles), but evocative.

At times like these, and granted the current nature of Hollywood culture, I applaud any attempt at portraying any kind of real courage and heroism in film. If nothing else, I don’t think “300″ will drip multiculturalist messages. Combined with the eye candy, that’s more than I can usually ask for anymore.

Blacklake on January 30, 2007 at 3:28 PM

In point of fact, I believe the Persians of the day were Zoroastrians. Mohammed wouldn’t even be born for slightly over a thousand years.

Blacklake on January 30, 2007 at 3:32 PM

Thirteen28, roger that on Braveheart. Even as a history nut I had never heard of William Wallace (and I’m Scottish!) and after the movie I looked him up. It’s close, but no cigar. I had heard of Robert Bruce though, and his story is even more amazing. But Wallace DID die the way it was depicted in the movie. What I don’t like is when they take a true historical person and change him to the point of becoming fiction, even changing how they died! I LOVED “Gladiator” but Commodus did NOT die in the arena, he was murdered in his bath I LOVED “Troy” but Aggamenon was murdered by his wife … in his bath, not by Hector’s cousin (or so Homer says). I LOVED “The Patriot” but Col. Tarrington (Tarleton) survived the war and became a Minister of Parliment. Yes, it’s entertainment, but when they take true life characters and change them around THAT much, they do a disservice to history. History is entertaining enough that it doesn’t need to be changed. Fill in the holes with all the fiction ya need, but din’t change the actual outcome of the story.

I hope they make a movie about the battle of Fallujah, without screwing’ up the facts. They won’t even need to make anything up, but they will.

Tony737 on January 30, 2007 at 3:44 PM

oooops, I forgot. AngryAmerican, I agree, a movie about the founders of Western Civ defeating the muslims is cool, but this was long before islam exised. But your point is well taken. Call them “future muslims”.

Tony737 on January 30, 2007 at 3:49 PM

Gents, that is my favorite (and probably only one I would listen to) NIN song. It is called, “Just like you imagined”, and it is utterly perfect for this trailer. (At least, I think that’s the song.)

Anyway, looks like good stuff to me.

RiverCocytus on January 30, 2007 at 4:32 PM

Tony737 on January 30, 2007 at 3:44 PM

I hear you Tony, but to me, that’s the difference between a movie and a documentary. Both have their place. Movies are more designed to get an emotional response, while documentaries are meant to present facts and educate.

Thus, knowing that movies based on historical events are not accurate representations, when I see one I like it usually motivates me to go find out what really happened and to compare with what I saw in the movie.

It’s even the same when a novel is adapted to a movie – some things get changed and people are always comparing the book to the movie. But if it’s something I’ve never read and the movie motivates me to pick up the book, then I think it’s a win-win situation for all involved.

thirteen28 on January 30, 2007 at 5:04 PM

My friends, I’d also like to encourage you to see an earlier Hollywood version of this historical event made in 1962 called The 300 Spartans.
It is excellent and they tell the story as straight as they can from the historical account–available on DVD to rent or own.
Movies can help you learn history and sometimes, usually in its past golden years, Hollywood gets it right.
I know that Victor Davis Hanson has already given this movie the thumbs up and he’s a learned scholar of ancient history, so I’m seeing it, too.

Jen the Neocon on January 30, 2007 at 5:36 PM

Tony737 on January 30, 2007 at 3:49 PM

Yeah thanks Tony. I should have said a “Persian” Army tried to conquer the world.

The same violent mind set and aspirations of conquering the world existed before Mohammed and present day Islam. The Spartans helped stop this onslaught.

Your point is well taken, though, thanks Tony.

Can’t wait for this movie to come out in March!!!

angryamerican on January 30, 2007 at 8:35 PM

You guys need to browse the official website under the “Making of 300″ in the “Video Journals” section.

#3 called “Spartan Training” is pretty amazing showing what physical training the Spartans went through, for 6 months, before starting filming of 300!!

angryamerican on January 30, 2007 at 8:40 PM

Angry, I should’ve known you already knew just by the fact that you post on HotAir. Apologies my friend :-)

Tony737 on January 30, 2007 at 10:10 PM

Man you couldn’t post an English one?

These two are my favorite versions of it

This is one is the most thematic

I think this is one of the newer ones

VinceP1974 on January 30, 2007 at 10:43 PM

I hope that I wasn’t perceived as one of those bashing the trailer for seeming unhistorical. I don’t care about that, you all are right, a movie is entertainment first. I just don’t need that much action to enjoy a film. As in, I usually don’t spend money on John Woo’s work.

Freelancer on January 30, 2007 at 11:17 PM

Blacklake: “Actually, if it’s to be argued that a single battle saved western civilization, it was Salamis, not Thermopylae (after all, in the end the Greeks did lose Thermopylae). However, Thermopylae certainly is romantic and dramatic.”

Well, yes and no.

Historians like Victor Davis Hanson do feel that Salamis was perhaps the single most important battle in history. Thermopylae was intended by the Greeks to be a delaying action. In that respect it succeeded. But, had the Spartans not held Thermopylae long enough for the rest of the Greeks to organize, the Greeks probably would not have been ready at Salamis. In other words, had Xerxes not been delayed by the Spartans, the victory of the Greeks at Salamis might not have happened.

georgej on January 31, 2007 at 6:49 AM

Thanks for the link Memnon. It’s even better in English!

Kevin M on January 31, 2007 at 9:06 AM

Freelancer, I’d like to give John Woo a wedgie in the worst way after watching his wimpy, wacky “Windtalkers”. (Try sayin’ THAT five times fast!) I remember reading about the Navajo Code Talkers and thinkin’ what a great movie that could be. Several years later I see a preview for Windtalkers … by John Woo. I KNEW it was gonna suck!

Tony737 on January 31, 2007 at 9:53 AM

Being a loyal Spartan, I am extremely proud. ;)

SpartRan on February 17, 2007 at 4:58 PM