Centcom: Ramadi car bomb included tank of chlorine gas

posted at 8:46 pm on January 30, 2007 by Allahpundit

16 dead from the bomb, no reported casualties from the gas. But that doesn’t mean they weren’t trying.

Emergency Response Unit personnel, Iraqi Police, and civilians northwest of Ramadi were attacked by a suicide vehicle-born improvised explosive device (SVBIED) early Sunday. Coalition forces responded to the attack to provide immediate medical assistance and evacuate the wounded to medical facilities. Along with the suicide bomber, 16 people were killed by the attack.

The SVBIED was a dump truck filled with explosives and included a chlorine tank. The truck crashed into the Emergency Response Unit compound and detonated. There are no indications of any casualties caused by the release of chlorine gas.

Back in November, I said: “If I were in charge of AQ and feeling ‘reinvigorated,’ I’d target those 20,000 new troops with everything I have. I’d even reassign resources I was saving for attacks on the west if it’d help. Nothing would strengthen the anti-war crowd’s hand like a mass slaughter of people who wouldn’t have been there had Bush listened to the Democrats. One spectacular attack, especially if it involved WMD, would purchase years of American isolationism.”

I hope this isn’t AQ’s version of a countersurge. Thanks to Chuck Simmins for the tip.

Comments

Noooooooo! There were no chemical weapons in Iraq! Bush lied, man! Bush lied!

But seriously, that’s just one more reason for us to take the gloves off and put the hurt on those terrorist bastards.

ReubenJCogburn on January 30, 2007 at 8:58 PM

Upping the ante. Urgent counter-measures are now needed.

Zorro on January 30, 2007 at 8:58 PM

Dialogue! We need dialogue with these people!

SouthernGent on January 30, 2007 at 8:59 PM

My desire would be to just carpet bomb a wide swath of the borders and then take out anything that tries to cross it.Without mercy or prejudice.

bbz123 on January 30, 2007 at 9:00 PM

I’m eagerly awaiting the MSM wall-to-wall coverage of this event.

Iblis on January 30, 2007 at 9:05 PM

Chemistry was not my best subject, but wouldn’t blowing up a tank of chlorine gas be even less effective than just releasing it. Chlorine gas resulted in the tragedy in Bophal India as I recall.

Buck Turgidson on January 30, 2007 at 9:12 PM

Surely these Religion of Peace members didn’t really do that. It’s a scam perpetrated by Bush.

thedecider on January 30, 2007 at 9:25 PM

Dialogue! We need dialogue with these people!
SouthernGent on January 30, 2007 at 8:59 PM

Kidding, right?

Mazztek on January 30, 2007 at 9:28 PM

Bhopal was mythal isocynate not chlorine. The Germans in WW1 used chlorine early in the war but it is not an efficent killer. Lethal clouds are visible and you can defeat it with water.

Still this is scary.

Limerick on January 30, 2007 at 9:40 PM

Heh, Limerick beat me to it, but for anyone who wants to know about methyl isocyanate, here’s the link about the Bhopal disaster.

ReubenJCogburn on January 30, 2007 at 9:44 PM

yeah my spelling sucks as usual

Limerick on January 30, 2007 at 9:45 PM

Buck Turgidson on January 30, 2007 at 9:12 PM

You are correct about the Union Gas tradagy in Bohpal (If I also recall correctly.

Chlorine is very reactive, exposing it to other elements can make it explosive.

For obvious reasons I am not going to details here (on a public site).

(disclaimer: I am not a chemist, I once had a job that required me working with it, in larger quanties then you would find at home).

F15Mech on January 30, 2007 at 9:45 PM

yeah my spelling sucks as usual

Limerick on January 30, 2007 at 9:45 PM

You are not the only one

F15Mech on January 30, 2007 at 9:57 PM

I am a chemist. While these things usually overstate hazards somwhat (look at the one for water), MSDS are very useful.

Big S on January 30, 2007 at 9:57 PM

I’m sure that liberals are saying that they support the chlorine but do not support the effects of chlorine.

dawgyear on January 30, 2007 at 9:58 PM

Big S on January 30, 2007 at 9:57 PM

Big S you are a corporate wanabee. Anyone with a brain knows Dihydrogen monoxide is a dangerous chemical and it needs to be banned.

We cannot have Dihydrogen monoxide polluting our planet.

If we don’t get rid of DHMO in ten years our planet will be doomed.

(Sorry I could not resist)

F15Mech on January 30, 2007 at 10:08 PM

Chlorine no problem its good for the water.

sonnyspats1 on January 30, 2007 at 10:18 PM

Escalation ? Not.
This was a demonstration of the limits of 7th century education, clearly lacking understanding of deployment of chemical weapons.

There was an incident in Florida where vandals opened a valve on a railcar, releasing a cloud of chlorine. People were warned to not drive through the yellow-green cloud. Some teenagers didn’t get the message. Police had established a perimeter. I’m not sure if it was before or after the teenagers tried to drive through the cloud.

While searching for a online news article I found a headline where it was reported as a derailment, if it is the same incident that I remember (poorly).

rockhauler on January 30, 2007 at 10:32 PM

It wouldn’t be the first time that terrorists tried to tie together hazardous chemicals with IEDs. They did it in the 1993 WTC bombing (sodium cyanide) but it was assumed that the cyanide was burned up in the detonation.

The Palestinian terrorists regularly dip the shrapnel in rat poison in order to prevent proper coagulation in the victims.

Now, we have yet another example of the terrorists trying to improve the deadly effects of their weapons.

lawhawk on January 30, 2007 at 10:38 PM

Now this is escalation from the Times of London, this evening:

Reza Zakeri, the director of strategic studies in the Iranian President’s office, has said that Tehran may retaliate by capturing American soldiers.

“Abducting a US soldier in uniform is less expensive than buying a low-quality product made in China,” he said. “It would not be difficult to capture blond men with blue eyes wearing a military uniform. It would just be necessary to open a wallet and be generous.”

rockhauler on January 30, 2007 at 11:00 PM

I hope we have some special forces guys making a few unannounced visits across the eastern Iraqi border.

faraway on January 30, 2007 at 11:02 PM

Let’s see now, POISON gas was used against American Troops. We have news reports of Iranians being in charge of the kidnapping and murder of Americans. We have news reports of Iran promising to attack Americans directly.

WHY THE F*CK AREN’T WE BOMBING TEHRAN?

georgej on January 31, 2007 at 1:54 AM

If Bush moves against Iran, the democrats will impeach the president. That is why Pelosi went to Iraq, Pakistan, Afghanistan. She told them that the democrats were going to destroy Bush, and they were on their own. She was engaged in sabotage of Bush’s policy by driving a wedge between Bush, and Maliki, Musharraf, and Karzai. That was also Kerry’s message to Iran delivered while he was at Davos. That is why former Iranian President Mohammad Khatami was happy to meet Kerry.

The dems will hamstring Bush, and Iran has a green light.

No wonder the dems wished Gen Petraeus, and Adm. Fallon “good luck” (as in “you are going to need it”) with a smile.

rockhauler on January 31, 2007 at 7:56 AM

The other thing we need to consider is the fact that WMDs (as the Left defines it) were not found. This is going to make it harder for the Bush administration to find support. I suspect that short of Iran openly initiating an attack, the most Bush is going to be able to do is work to keep Iranian agents in check and eventually let the Iraqi forces (when they are ready) deal with them.

GT on January 31, 2007 at 8:20 AM

Bad stuff. Wasn’t it less than two weeks ago some women died of dihydrogen monoxide poisoning during a contest sponsored by a radio show?

On a more serious note:

Do we know if anythig was actually in the tank?

taznar on January 31, 2007 at 1:07 PM