Miami planning massive Castro death party at the Orange Bowl

posted at 12:29 pm on January 29, 2007 by Allahpundit

There’s no such thing as too much schadenfreude. In this case especially, but as a general rule as well.

What can I say? I’m Italian.

With Fidel Castro seriously ill, the city of Miami is making plans to throw a party at the Orange Bowl when the Cuban president dies.

The city commission earlier this month appointed a committee — whose official job is to “Discuss an event at the Orange Bowl in case expected events occur in Cuba” — to plan the party. Such a gathering has long been part of the city’s Castro death plan, but firming up the specifics has become more urgent since Castro became ill last summer and turned over power to his brother, Raul…

At the committee’s first meeting last week, former state Rep. Luis Morse stressed the need for an uplifting theme for the party — one not preoccupied with a human being’s passing. The committee discussed including such a theme on T-shirts that would be made by private vendors for the event.

Several questions have to be decided. What musicians would perform? The city hopes entertainers will donate their services. How long will the event last? Hours? Days? And how much will it cost?

Thousands upon thousands of dark-haired Cuban beauties, drinking and dancing in an ecstatic burst of revenge and liberation. It’s a news event; I must cover it. Help offset the cost of my trip by mailing your donations to the address on the Hot Air “about” page with the heading, “Send AP to the Castro death orgy.”

This will be my consolation prize for not getting to go to Iraq.

Comments

I’m Cuban. Abajo Fidel!

Enrique on January 29, 2007 at 12:33 PM

OOOh, mucho caliente!
I will contribute if you promise to take and post lots of pics!

bbz123 on January 29, 2007 at 12:38 PM

And the drink Cuba libre will take on a whole another meaning

Defector01 on January 29, 2007 at 12:42 PM

I’d condition a donation to subsequent airing of a footage-laden Vent, but I’m unsure about my ability to sit through “Allahpundit Gone Wild…South Beach”.

I’m sure this ode to Fidel will be blaring throughout Miami and the Orange Bowl, though…

Kid from Brooklyn on January 29, 2007 at 12:44 PM

Cool! I’m so going!

frankj on January 29, 2007 at 12:48 PM

I’m there, dude. Drinks are on me afterward at Mango’s. Cuban chicks dig me.

It would be nice if an intrepid fan or two held up derogatory Castro signs during SB XLI.

JammieWearingFool on January 29, 2007 at 12:56 PM

Here’s to Castro riding Barbaro off into the sunset.

Readymade on January 29, 2007 at 1:00 PM

… I will not touch it … not even with a ten foot poll… must … not … poke… Allahs horrible post.

One Angry Christian on January 29, 2007 at 1:03 PM

Wait! I thought Hugo said he was almost well enough to go jogging?

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on January 29, 2007 at 1:04 PM

I’m Sicilian-Italian-Irish. I get mistaken for spanish many times.

Usualy, it’s a girl asking me, “Are you mexican?” “No.” “Oh! Well, you don’t look mexican…” I try not to rub my head in pain…

Mazztek on January 29, 2007 at 1:06 PM

Here’s to Castro riding Barbaro off into the sunset.

Readymade on January 29, 2007 at 1:00 PM

Isn’t that how he got into trouble to begin with?

Kid from Brooklyn on January 29, 2007 at 1:06 PM

Look at all the symbolism. Passing the scepter of leadership, haul out the purple cloak. Chavez will be what Castro always wanted to be – a thug with oil. Castro had to settle for sugar.

naliaka on January 29, 2007 at 1:09 PM

Good for them. Bravo!

Griz on January 29, 2007 at 1:16 PM

FREE CUBA!!!!!!!

Vaya con Dios, Barbaro.

RushBaby on January 29, 2007 at 1:23 PM

I can’t think of too many things more uplifting than the death of a Communist dictator–at least not to the poor souls that had to suffer under his misrule. Granted, we could wish it had happened almost 50 years ago, but better late than never.

Besides, it’ll be fun to watch all the liberals who claim to care about “freedom” and “human rights” wailing over the death of their good buddy Fidel, who didn’t allow either one.

ReubenJCogburn on January 29, 2007 at 1:34 PM

Isn’t the whole point to be preoccupied with a human being’s passing? One specifically heinous human, but a man none the less? If you’re gonna throw a party on the occasion of his death, be honest, folks.

Penthesileia on January 29, 2007 at 1:54 PM

Penthesileia, anyone who screwed his people the way Castro did, and still does, should not be considered a “human being”. Monsters dwell among us.

In his Parerga and Paralipomena, Schopenhauer criticizes the Schadenfreude emotion:

But it is Schadenfreude, a mischievous delight in the misfortunes of others, which remains the worst trait in human nature. It is a feeling which is closely akin to cruelty, and differs from it, to say the truth, only as theory from practice. In general, it may be said that it takes the place which pity ought to take — pity which is its opposite, and the true source of all real justice and charity….Envy, although it is a reprehensible feeling, still admits of some excuse, and is, in general, a very human quality; whereas the delight in mischief [Schadenfreude] is diabolical, and its taunts are the laughter of hell.

However, in Sophocles’ Ajax, the goddess Athena asks the question:

Is not laughter at one’s enemies the sweetest laughter?

Therefore, full steam partying ahead.

To see you Latin dance merits contributions in lieu of quite a few lunches, AP :)

Viva Cuba Libre!

Entelechy on January 29, 2007 at 2:36 PM

If you’re gonna throw a party on the occasion of his death, be honest, folks.

I know that’s my plan. Same for my Cuban friends.

JammieWearingFool on January 29, 2007 at 2:37 PM

The only sorrow I’ll feel over this jackass’ death, will be that it wasn’t at the hands of the people he lorded over for 50 years. And yes, I will celebrate his death, either way.

tickleddragon on January 29, 2007 at 2:50 PM

I surprised nobody has called this a “wake” yet. Fear not JammieWearingFool, we’re merely going to have a wake to celebrate Cuba and not merely to commemorate Castro’s morir.

“When the wicked perish, there are shouts of joy!”

Mojave Mark on January 29, 2007 at 2:53 PM

Hey Allah, you’re welcome to stay with me!

Ann on January 29, 2007 at 3:11 PM

That picture is just wrong … just plain old wrong.

thirteen28 on January 29, 2007 at 3:23 PM

This headline must be wrong, Chavez said just a week or so ago that Castro is all but jogging. Chavez would not lie would he?
Once again, the left is silent on this thread. Whenever an honored member, like Castro, is mentioned they go into hiding. They can’t say good riddance, they know that would be a lie or alienate them from their cronies, and they can’t say I am sorry, that would expose them as the sympathizers they are.

right2bright on January 29, 2007 at 3:41 PM

Once again, the left is silent on this thread…

right2bright on January 29, 2007 at 3:41 PM

Have you no sympathy for people in mourning?

Entelechy on January 29, 2007 at 3:51 PM

Many people seem to be assuming that Castro’s death will lead to the liberation of Cuba. But is that true?

The left is so enamored with Cuban socialism that I doubt America will interfere by promoting democracy (except with some weak platitudes). Castro’s death will not cause the Cuban secret police to magically disappear.

It’ll be an opportunity, and it’ll embolden Cuban dissidents. So maybe it’ll be the opportunity that freedom is waiting for. But I’m pessimistic.

I hope I’m wrong. Cubans have suffered for too long.

In any case, the international respect and admiration heaped on Castro is a disgusting spectacle I’ll be glad to see the end of. Say hi to your buddy Che in hell, dictator.

sandberg on January 29, 2007 at 3:52 PM

Passing the scepter of leadership

Is that what it is? I thought it was a Pleasure Master 2000.

Huh. I need to have my eyes checked.

natesnake on January 29, 2007 at 4:22 PM

Passing the scepter of leadership…

naliaka on January 29, 2007 at 1:09 PM

…and see how happy Chavez looks, with great anticipation on how he can screw his people and the world, even more, and more richly, than Castro.

Entelechy on January 29, 2007 at 4:29 PM

sandberg on January 29, 2007 at 3:52 PM

I don’t know about anybody else, but personally I’m just taking delight in the knowledge that an evil dictator that victimized the Cuban people for fifty years will be dead. Like you, I hope that it leads to freedom in the near term, but I’m not so optimistic that I think it’ll just happen automatically. Castro’s death has got to be a big step in the right direction, though, and anyway I’m a firm believer that bad people dying makes the world a better place.

ReubenJCogburn on January 29, 2007 at 4:57 PM

Have you no sympathy for people in mourning?

Entelechy on January 29, 2007 at 3:51 PM

Why, of course we do. It’s somewhere in the dictionary, between shit and syphilis. :)

Kid from Brooklyn on January 29, 2007 at 4:57 PM

This serves two logical ends. 1. It will keep down (to a degree) the disorganized party/riots. 2. Will allow the city to cash in one the fun.

But yeah, that’s going to be the party of the century. (I bet Paris is going to wonder why she wasn’t invited)

- The Cat

MirCat on January 29, 2007 at 5:27 PM

Kid, besos :) Viva.Cuba.Libre!

MirCat, Paris doesn’t know where Cuba is.

Entelechy on January 29, 2007 at 5:35 PM

My former boss is a Cuban exile and she made me a Cubano Honorario.

No worries, Allah, I will donate to your trip to cover the Cuban NEW Revolution.

I’m Sicilian-Italian-Irish. I get mistaken for spanish many times.

Mazztek on January 29, 2007 at 1:06 PM

Hell, Mazztek, my roots and twigs include Sicilian-North African, so you can imagine what I go through.

AND I AM STILL QUITE SUSPICIOUS OF WHAT FIDEL AND HUGO ARE HOLDING.

The False Dervish on January 29, 2007 at 5:42 PM

Entelechy on January 29, 2007 at 3:51 PM

Won’t I ever learn, you have caught me seveal times.

And Sandberg, sorry to dissappoint, but Castro’s brother is worse and more evil than Castro. I am afraid of another ten years of misery. Fortunatly he is not as clever or charismatic, so a revolution is always possible.

right2bright on January 29, 2007 at 5:51 PM

Well, for sure I wouldn’t have selected a scepter like that.

naliaka on January 29, 2007 at 8:27 PM

What can I say? I’m Italian.

And as a German (in part, at least), I have to say that I take this sort of thing very seriously. I used to think that I was just a spiteful little troll, but then I realized, it’s in the blood.

Anyway, I would kinda like to see an Allah hosted Vent from the ‘Yay, Castro’s Dead!’ gala, but I’m not entirely sure that Allah’s not the sort of diety that’s better heard and not seen. . .

Wolfman on January 29, 2007 at 8:32 PM

This will be my consolation prize for not getting to go to Iraq.

You should take Ian with you. It won’t turn into a competitive affair, if for no other reason than that there will be plenty of lovelies to go around.

Kralizec on January 29, 2007 at 8:43 PM

I’d say let’s not count dead dictators AND regimes until they’re actually buried. Besides bro Raul, there’s a whole slew of younger wannabe Stalins in the upper echelons of the Cuban Commies. I suspect Fidel’s death won’t signal the end of the regime, just it’s twilight. It may very well take a few years before it falls, violently or otherwise.

That aside, I commend Allahpundit on his sense of duty and public service, all, ahem, in the interest of journalism and broadcasting the truth (non, nod, wink, wink. :-)

DavePa on January 30, 2007 at 10:05 AM

Dreadful idea. Castro has been a scrouge on the Cubans for coming on half a century. His death may or may not offer the Cubans an opportunity to free themselves. But human nature being what it is, the Cubans will not enjoy the spectacle of Americans reveling and celebrating and getting drunk and generally mocking the last 50 years of their lives. That’s their perogative, not ours.

honora on January 30, 2007 at 12:33 PM