Audio: Robert Spencer versus Dinesh D’Souza on who caused 9/11

posted at 1:30 pm on January 29, 2007 by Ian

The debate between the two begins around the 18-minute mark.

A huge hat tip to Lores Rizkalla Live for providing audio of the debate.

Comments

I thought it was a bunch of pissed-off Muslims.

ReubenJCogburn on January 29, 2007 at 1:36 PM

It was Satan that caused 9/11.

(Where’s Dana Carvey/Church Lady when ya’ need ‘em?)

CyberCipher on January 29, 2007 at 1:44 PM

No, no, Church Lady: It was those “naughty bulbous parts”!

Ali-Bubba on January 29, 2007 at 2:01 PM

Interesting debate… I think they both made very good arguments.

x95b10 on January 29, 2007 at 2:30 PM

It was Kyle Broflovski. Cartman solved this on South Park already!

journeyscarab on January 29, 2007 at 2:42 PM

I disagree with D’souza.The moderate,peace loving,lets be friends muslim is like the uninformed high holy days only attendance christian.Neither know whats in their scriptures.In other words,they are secular and their faith is tradition only.
In many instances I have seen Christians positively changed by the reading and practicing of the bible.I have also read many different places about secular moslems going radical once they started to study the koran.Its the teaching and practice of ones holy book thats to be scrutinized.
Leftists have brought down wrath from the knowledgable muslim community for their debaucherous lifestyle.I dont see all muslims being mistreated for what the so called radical crowd is doing.
Even if everyone in America were to adhere to strict moral behavior,Islam would still hate us because we do not subscribe to the teachings of Mohammed.Its still in their scriptures to kill the infidel.
We live in the land of the free because of christian principles set forth by our forefathers.Freedom of speech being one of principles.Islam does not offer that.

spazzmomma on January 29, 2007 at 3:28 PM

Boy, they really went at it. A Lively debate. But we all know it was the Clinis that knocked the towers down! The big, throbbing, plane shaped Clinis.

NeoConSnakePlissken on January 29, 2007 at 3:42 PM

Spencer is correct and Dinesh is wrong. But then again Dinesh is correct and Spencer is wrong.

The basis of Christian belief is “love thy brother”. The basis for Muslim belief is “force thy brother to be a muslim or you can kill him”.

Spencer seems to think that: Rational Christians are to Christian abortion clinic bombers, as rational Muslims are to Muslim terrorists. If that were the case the world have seen a movement to bomb abortion clinics on par to what we are seeing from Muslim suicide bombers. That just doesn’t happen because of the aforementioned basis of beliefs.

Dinesh seems to think that if only people like Spencer would shut up, the Muslim terrorists would go away. If that were true just how did Muslim terrorism start? As I remember it, the Muslims started the terrorism and got labeled as terrorists sfterwards.

Granted, I did not listen to their whole argument, but it seemed as if that was their positions.

Dinesh made a good point….how many Salman Rushdies are there? One. And his point being that there are not very many reasonable Muslims out there and when the do speak up, they are condemned to death AND THAT is not a cultural teaching, it is a religious one.

csdeven on January 29, 2007 at 4:06 PM

A few “civilians” — A. Sullivan

Entelechy on January 29, 2007 at 4:34 PM

spazzmomma on January 29, 2007 at 3:28 PM

Exacty right. Well said.

Lawrence on January 29, 2007 at 4:37 PM

Huh. That’s a surprise.

Never having seen a photo or heard him speak; just reading a few sentences of his tripe….

I always thought Dinesh D’Souza was a woman.

LegendHasIt on January 29, 2007 at 5:22 PM

spazzmomma on January 29, 2007 at 3:28 PM

That’s very ignorant. For you (someone who I’m assuming isn’t Muslim or hasn’t even fully studied the Qur’an) to definitely state what Islam is or isn’t and label people who don’t fit your view as “secular,” sounds vaguely similar to what the terrorists themselves say. “If you don’t support the global Jihad you aren’t a true Muslim;” I guess you’re agreeing with them.

Nonfactor on January 29, 2007 at 6:03 PM

I love how those that don’t blame Islam itself as the root cause are always inventing fictional Christian, Hindu, Budist, ect sects for counter points to the very real Islamic movement.

- The Cat

MirCat on January 29, 2007 at 6:14 PM

MirCat on January 29, 2007 at 6:14 PM

No, I don’t blame Islam for the terrorists, I blame the people who take Islam and bastardize it for the terrorists. Much the same way I don’t blame Christianity for people like Fred Phelps.

Nonfactor on January 29, 2007 at 6:29 PM

Robert Spencer is always so articulate. Man, that guy rocks.

emmaline1138 on January 29, 2007 at 6:34 PM

Nonfactor

emphasis mine
First you assume something you know nothing about.Assumption is ignorance.Thanks for the gumball popeye!

spazzmomma on January 29, 2007 at 6:54 PM

Nonfactor on January 29, 2007 at 6:03 PM

I despise you, Nonfactor. Having read the ninth sura of the Q’u’r’a’n’, I do think that a muslim who doesn’t support the global jihad is un-Islamic. If that’s what the terrorists say, then I do agree with them on that point. Yet neither am I muslim, nor do I support the global jihad.

Your reasoning is filthy; I can’t convey how much I detest it. You’re welcome to try a reductio ad Hitlerum on me next, if you like. I’m primed for it, and I’ll make mincemeat out of you, you slovenly intellectual tramp.

Kralizec on January 29, 2007 at 8:30 PM

you slovenly intellectual tramp.

Kralizec on January 29, 2007 at 8:30 PM

Says the man who attempted to broad stroke all “true” Muslims as terrorists.

Nonfactor on January 29, 2007 at 9:11 PM

If the Koran is the source of moderation and peace, why are there no happy Muslims?

I have yet to meet or seen one who isn’t like a wet cat waiting for you to try to dry it.

Or, as Nietzsche put it, like crabs: “Try to help them, and they claw you; leave them alone and they walk backwards.”

Always primed to be offended instead of comfortable in their own skin.

Mr. Spencer has the facts on his side, Koranic/Hadith-ically. D’Souza is setting up the wished-for “moderate” Muslim in counterpoint to the radicalized, orthodox terroristic Mohammedan (mimicking their pedophile warlord and woman poet’s assassination-approving megalomaniac).

In reality, the “moderates” are just Machiavellianly biding their time and letting the militants do the heavy lifting, while they wait for the fruits of the violent jihad to be reaped by all Muslims …once the infidel world is defeated and forced into “Submission” (Islam, literally).

We get nowhere with hoping for a pretend Muslim majority who never speak out, except singularly, against their murderous maniacal brethren.

Salman Rushdie was an apostate, so his case means nothing. The more telling example is of those preaching a more progressive Islam who have been crushed within the Muslim world for a millennium. And up to a year before the first “Gulf War”, in America, as the case of Imam Rashad Khalifa (who rejected the “Hadiths”) shows. He was murdered (by “unknown” agents) in February, 1990, for opposing the Iranian death fatwa against Rushdie from his Tuscon, Arizona mosque (as related in Victor Mordecai’s chillingly prescient work “Is Fanatic Islam a Global Threat?“- c. 1995).

Mr. Spencer wants Islam to confront itself and humanize.

Mr. D’Souza wants the West to hit the snooze button.

profitsbeard on January 29, 2007 at 9:31 PM

Heh.

Nonfactor wins the “most applicapable nickname of 2007″ award – in January!

Merovign on January 29, 2007 at 10:39 PM

I say not a practicing Muslims are terrorists and suddenly I’m the bad guy.

Nonfactor on January 29, 2007 at 10:55 PM

I say not a practicing Muslims are terrorists and suddenly I’m the bad guy.

Nonfactor on January 29, 2007 at 10:55 PM

You refuse to deal squarely with the ninth sura, and suddenly you’re a weasel. You change the subject and suddenly you’re a–subject changer! As for the bad guys, I admire them, even as I advocate their destruction. You don’t measure up, so it’s just as well that you go on living.

Kralizec on January 30, 2007 at 4:40 AM

Mr. Spencer wants Islam to confront itself and humanize.

Mr. D’Souza wants the West to hit the snooze button.

profitsbeard on January 29, 2007 at 9:31 PM

Mr. Steyn and Mr. Kralizec want the Americans to use the Maxim gun.

Kralizec on January 30, 2007 at 4:44 AM

I always thought Robert Spencer should push AP out of the big comfy chair and take over as King.

j/k

Coronagold on January 30, 2007 at 8:14 AM

Having read the ninth sura of the Q’u’r’a’n’,

Kralizec, are you sure you didn’t leave out an apostrophe there? (I don’t know why, but it’s the funniest thing I’ve seen in a week.)

The Monster on January 30, 2007 at 9:56 AM

The Monster on January 30, 2007 at 9:56 AM

Thanks, The Monster; I’ve only just now found your comment. The apostrophes are tiny marks of contempt–literally!

Kralizec on February 22, 2007 at 10:50 PM