Video: Angry Lebanese denounce Iranian puppet

posted at 10:10 am on January 26, 2007 by Allahpundit

I haven’t covered the general strike and ensuing violence in Beirut this week because, quite frankly, our posts on Lebanon rarely crack single digits in comments. Readers don’t want to hear about the nascent civil war, which would pit the U.S. and Sunni powers in a proxy battle with Iran? Then about the nascent civil war they shall not hear.

Rick Moran’s covering it, thankfully. I commend his latest to you. The government imposed a curfew on Beirut last night after university students on the pro- and anti-Hezbollah sides attacked each other with clubs and stones. Meanwhile, Nasrallah’s attempt to bring the country to its knees is earning him all kinds of new friends. Click the image to meet a few.

nasrallah.jpg

Comments

It’s not that I don’t want to hear about it, it just that I don’t have much to say. I’m pretty sure that is a feeling shared by most here.

JasonG on January 26, 2007 at 10:24 AM

Put a tricorn on her head. Hand her a fife.

Limerick on January 26, 2007 at 10:25 AM

One can only hope that with all the new media, the Lebanese and all others in the Middle East, will finally understand the lies they have been fed from a young age.

TugboatPhil on January 26, 2007 at 10:25 AM

Ditto. Hard to comment on that which I know nothing (don’t), so keep the news coming. This video is a powerful statement on the disillusionment in Lebanon with Nasrallah and the puppet government, but the IstaCoverage of the Cedar Revolution was powerful, too, and then … nothing.

Just some cute girls in halters. I can get that over in the Heights.

Jaibones on January 26, 2007 at 10:27 AM

Yes, I too was hoping the low comment articles did not deter you. Sometimes good pieces just don’t call for comments, just reading.
We rely on HA for a good deal of our daily intake of affairs.

shooter on January 26, 2007 at 10:28 AM

Hard to belive no-one talks about this. I have said for years and been called many names, because I know all these wars in the middle east are connected. I have been saying this since I came of age in the 1980s. It is becoming much clearer due to the policies of GW, who is behind a lot of this. The problem is I really dont think Iran is the last stop on this tour. I know the “I was for this war, before I was against this war” crowd is having a hard time accepting that GW is not the problem. It is easier to blame him because he does not fight back. Hopefully this will all change soon and we will begin to intercept those responsible for the mayham. I hope god gives these people the strength to defend themselves.

mbell33 on January 26, 2007 at 10:29 AM

I’m hoping the people act much more like this, that will give lebanon a real chance of saving itself. The Israelis nor the Americans can save that country, they must do it themselves

Defector01 on January 26, 2007 at 10:53 AM

Wow. Go angry Lebanese people! They’re really brave–especially the lady who identified herself and where she lives. In fact, that was mostly a bunch of girls throwing down the gauntlet to Nasrallah! Kudos to them!!!

As for this conflict being linked to all the others–absolutely it is. This concerns us very much, just indirectly, like most Iranian meddling. Iran knows better (so far) than to confront us directly, so they spend their money and energy stirring up hornets’ nests everywhere they can to keep us and Israel constantly putting out fires. They know our people are already getting “war fatigue,” and they want us to get completely tired of all this and go home to wait for the gift they’ll deliver to one of our cities one day. Lebanon is important to Iran because they can use it as a staging ground to let their Hezbollah proxies more easily pick fights with Israel, our ally.

It is definitely all linked, and we shouldn’t ignore it.

aero on January 26, 2007 at 11:00 AM

Put me in the, “I usually don’t comment on it, but still want to see it,” camp.

I don’t comment on it because I really don’t know what to say about it. It just seems like a hopeless situation with nobody in a position to do much about it. As far as I can tell, the UN peace keeping (or what exactly is there role?) forces in Lebanon are useless.

taznar on January 26, 2007 at 11:13 AM

I do feel really, really sorry for the people of Lebanon. Many of them want nothing to do with all this–they just want to live their lives and be left alone. It’s kind of like if Canada and Mexico had a proxy war in the middle of the United States and we were too weak to stop them. How would you feel about armed Canadian and Mexican militants wreaking havoc in our heartland? And then whichever side we thought was more of our friend turned on us? I’d be pretty angry, just like these Lebanese people are. But there’s nothing we can do to help them that I know of. At some point the dust will settle, and assuming Nasrallah gets what he wants, they’ll start up with Israel again. We may eventually be drawn into it, but we’ll probably have to rely on Israel at first like we did last time, and Olmert showed how weak he is on this already. Discouraging set of circumstances, for sure.

aero on January 26, 2007 at 11:34 AM

Yikes! Love the posts on Lebanon. Don’t comment much, cause I don’t have a lot of extra information to add. The Lebanese are a cosmopolitan bunch by and large who are very entreprenurial, so to see these attempts to wreck the country is heart-wrenching. Just get frustrated because the Lebanese situation is simpler than the MSM portrays it – remove the foreign meddling and the place would calm down in a hurry.

naliaka on January 26, 2007 at 11:38 AM

I have followed MJT and donated to his efforts for many months now. To think that there is no interest in what is happening in Lebanon just isn’t true.
Last night I watched on cable news the devastation in Beirut. I thought to myself that we are watching a nation go down in flames to Islomist fascism.
What I find particularly disturbing about this nation is the Christians that side with HB. I am sure you, AP, realize that this country was majority Christian 30 years ago? We, in the west, should examine this situation quite closely as I think we could learn quite a bit from the suffering (I am sad to say) that the nation of Lebanon is currently experiencing.

Babs on January 26, 2007 at 11:41 AM

Hah! Just mention a paucity of comments and look what you get!

I’m with shooter. I don’t often comment but am always grateful for the information.

IrishEi on January 26, 2007 at 11:47 AM

Why aren’t we sending high-tech weapons to these people?

Oh right, because Seymour Hersh would expose us and the EU would go wobbly…

Never mind.

Enrique on January 26, 2007 at 11:47 AM

mbell33 on January 26, 2007 at 10:29 AM

Of course. It’s all Bush’s fault.

Take your meds now.

Gregor on January 26, 2007 at 11:48 AM

Gregor — my son was wounded fighting this war. Shot by an Iranian sniper. I think Bush at least has brought Iran into the open. Flame someone else JACK, what have you given to fight this menace.

mbell33 on January 26, 2007 at 12:10 PM

Michael Totten is blogging and reporting from the inside – and he’s got details that the big media outlets simply aren’t getting.

lawhawk on January 26, 2007 at 12:12 PM

Rumors of the death of the Cedar Revolution are greatly exaggerated.

Kid from Brooklyn on January 26, 2007 at 12:13 PM

Great report on Lebanon. Please keep posting on it, even with low comments.

In any case, you can’t beat the sight of an un-veiled Muslim woman on the streets of Beirut essentially calling out Nasrallah as a punk and daring him to drive over to her neighborhood and throw down. In South Philly his street cred would now be at zero.

MarcH on January 26, 2007 at 12:21 PM

Nassralla is a SOB!!! Any “leader” who promotes the shedding of childrens blood, in any way, to achieve their goals is EVIL.

Troy Rasmussen on January 26, 2007 at 12:40 PM

mbell33…

You tell your boy that he is welcome at a BBQ at my house anytime.

Limerick on January 26, 2007 at 12:48 PM

Gregor,

They way you cropped the comment by mbell33 is disingenuous. It seems as though you assert that they are blaming Bushfor the violence in Lebanon. This is incorrect if you read the rest of their post. I hope you missunderstood mbell33. If so, please try to be more clear in your posts.

Troy

Troy Rasmussen on January 26, 2007 at 12:48 PM

I’ll post here to make sure the comment count increases. I have little to say, as well, but this is one of the most fascinating aspects of the whole Western-Islamo conflict.

Editor on January 26, 2007 at 12:54 PM

Echoing JasonG, It’s not that we don’t want the stuff, it’s just there isn’t much we have to say about it, AP. What can you say about Lebanon at this point? Not much, other than that we’re gonna have to go to the mattresses and it isn’t going to be pretty.

Ennuipundit on January 26, 2007 at 12:56 PM

Regarding the lack of comments on Lebanon posts:

Mega-dittoes, AP. Long time reader, first time commenter (on a Lebanon post). Keep up the good work! ;-)

Laura on January 26, 2007 at 12:57 PM

mbell33,

Don’t worry about Gregor. He obviously didn’t read your entire comment.

I myself was having thoughts along the lines of what Gregor posted until I read the rest of your post. I’m afraid that particular sentence of your post is just worded clumsily and comes off in a way you didn’t intend.

But fie on Gregor for not reading the entire thing before popping off like that.

In response to AP, I also like to hear about the goings-on in Lebanon, although I usually have little to add.

wearyman on January 26, 2007 at 12:57 PM

The Sunnis and the Christians should kick Hizb’allah out.

PRCalDude on January 26, 2007 at 1:06 PM

Those chicks are pissed.

I like how they show exactly how much they hate each other, “He called us jooz! We’re not jooz, he’s WORSE than a joo, he’s worse than the leader of the JOOOOOOZ!!!!”

Alden Pyle on January 26, 2007 at 1:11 PM

mbell33 …

If I misunderstood your comment, I deeply apologize. I did read the entire thing though, but it seemed to me that you were suggesting that what is going on in Lebanon and the rest of the Middle East is all due to the world being on Bush’s puppet strings.

You wrote …

mbell33 on January 26, 2007 at 10:29 AM

The bolded sections caused me to believe you were suggesting Bush was manipulating the governments of these countries into war.

Again, if that is wrong … I apologize, and of course hope to God your son is doing okay.

Gregor on January 26, 2007 at 1:14 PM

the entire notion of arabism is a lie… the religion of islam has led them down to this path of life and now look at them… the world around them is viewing them with disdain, fear, disgust, and a general antipathy that these people in general are illiterate, ignorant, incorrigible, and with little redeeming value for their opinions or ideas… someone needs to thank islam and mohammad for showing the world the true lies of the ‘prophet’ have been visited on his descendants…

Asmodeus on January 26, 2007 at 1:28 PM

Sometimes newsworthy items are not commented on, perhaps, because they may be of interest but there is not much to say.

Of course we know that Iran is attempting political control of Lebanon. Iran and Venzuela are both attempting to expand their influcence and control in such a manner. It is good news to hear that the Lebanese are fighting back.

Without more information drawing conclusions may show ignorance of the situation or prove to be a prediction that will not come true.

Perhaps there are those that pay attention in circumstances such as these to the addage:

Better to remain silent with rumor of ignorance than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

omegaram on January 26, 2007 at 1:30 PM

I am not a great communicator, just like a man that I greatly admire, GW. I dont follow him blindly, but he has brought out things that our MSM continues to deny. Our biggest problem is the “We support the troops, but not the war” crowd. They continue to give our enemies hope. I can hardly wait for the Winter Soldier 2007, hosted by Lurch.

The “I was for this war, before I was against this war” crowd is making me sick. They all complain about the situation but contribute nothing to the discussion or an alternative to improve the situation.

I am sorry to be confusing, but if you think it stops with Iran, I think you are confused about where the money that supports this comes from.

mbell33 on January 26, 2007 at 1:45 PM

It’s also kind of hard to pick a good guy in these Middle East conflicts to root for. I mean, I said I feel sorry for the Lebanese people, and I do–they’re being dragged into a meat grinder by outside forces. And I felt heartened by these women’s resistance to Nasrallah. BUT…one of them does say that she/they offered safe haven to Nasrallah during the war with Israel (which is why they feel so betrayed now), and the first woman is clearly an anti-Semite (the worst insult she can think of is to tell Nasrallah he’s even worse than a Jew). Hard to be sympathetic to those kinds of actions and attitudes in the larger picture. But in the short term, it does seem clear that Nasrallah is the biggest bad guy and Iran is the biggest threat to any hope of stability and democracy in Lebanon. Therefore, kudos to these women and other Lebanese people for speaking out and taking action against Nasrallah and Iranian/Syrian meddling in their country.

You’d think it would be a good thing that Nasrallah has lost control of his thugs, but apparently not…

aero on January 26, 2007 at 1:47 PM

mbell33 on January 26, 2007 at 1:45 PM

Absolutely not. I agree with you. I believe Iran happens to be the power behind it all right now, but definitely not the beginning or the end of the line. For me, it all begins and ends with Islam. To me, we are at war with Islam, which is something that leaders throughout the world know is true but are too fearful to admit.

The money, the hate, and the agenda all begin and end with Islam.

Gregor on January 26, 2007 at 1:52 PM

Lebanon is kind of a hot potato and really a no-win scenario for US. We can’t identify a clear-cut ENEMY there because they’re all just “peaceful civilians,” right? (with lots of katyushka rockets in the garden shed, of course) They have a democracy that has voted the sworn enemies of US and Israel (Hezbolla) into positions of power who now threaten a de facto coup de tat to overthrow a fledgling democracy to install a muslim theocracy.

So, who do we pull for? This enemy is NOT going away till they take over Lebanon either by election or violence, at which time they can be clearly identified as an enemy state. However, Lebanon will likely stay in varying degrees of civil war until Hezbolla either takes over or is defeated militarily, which nobody has the political will to do.

It’s just no-win for US. All we can really do is watch and wait. Right?

Benthoven on January 26, 2007 at 3:38 PM

I don’t comment because most don’t share my point of view, or didn’t until very recently. That is that the Israelis did a lot more damage to Hezbollah than people appreciate. It might not have been the great tactical victory that everyone was rooting for at the time, but it was crushing in a more strategic sense. While Nasrallah was prancing around claiming “victory”, the Shiites in Lebanon were set bacck a decade in economic and infrastructure terms and in terms of business, they might never recover. Israel shoved the Shiites even further down the economic ladder in Lebanon and took out a large part of Hezbollah’s infrastructure they use for providing their “social services” making the people more reliant on the Lebanese central government and foreign NGOs for assistance.

Now comes Nasrallah attempting to capitalize on his great “victory” and nothing happens. He manages to get a crowd assembled in Beirut but is unable to really do anything with it. Nasrallah is increasingly being seen by his own people as a puppet of Iran who brought only destruction to the Shiites of Southern Lebanon. He claims “victory” because Israel didn’t occupy the land. Well, I will tell you what, if someone kicks your butt on the street but decides not to take ownership of your house, they still kicked your butt.

So while Israel decided not to get involved with another lengthy occupation, they still kicked butt and broke a lot of things inside Lebanon. Israel pulled out and left the Lebanese Shiites rich in rubble to celebrate over. To my mind the Israelis were actually very smart in how things went in Southern Lebanon. Now the people are turning against Nasrallah, had Israel decided to occupy the land, the people would be rallying around Nasrallah.

Like I said at the start, my point of view isn’t really popular but I believed last fall that it would take until this spring for the results of the Israeli operation in Lebanon to be fully appreciated.

crosspatch on January 26, 2007 at 6:35 PM

Thanks for the info Allah. As a second generation American of Lebanese (Maronite) decent, I appreciate these stories. Our cousins and family farm are in the north and safe, so far. The mangy Iranian bastards are itching for a fight; I hope our CIA can deliver one they’ll never forget.

Zorro on January 26, 2007 at 8:20 PM

Hell hath no fury . . .

- The Cat

MirCat on January 26, 2007 at 10:22 PM

The best description of the Lebanon conflict is Bridget Gabriel’s Because they Hate. Lebanon is what happens to a christian country that opens it borders to muslim immigration until over-run by islam. First decent society is overtaken, now they make it official by overthrowing the gov’t. Take a good look europe. This is your fate.

Buck Turgidson on January 27, 2007 at 11:24 AM

Decades ago Beruit was called the “Paris of the middle east”, now Paris is the “Beruit of europe”.

Buck Turgidson on January 27, 2007 at 11:28 AM

This is heart-wrenching, extremely worrisome and heart-warming for her courage.
Bridget Gabriel’s Because they Hate.

Buck Turgidson on January 27, 2007 at 11:24 AM finally brought up the expert on Lebanon.

Brigitte Gabriel
She LIVED IT, and watched Christianity being murdered from the inside.
READ HER BOOK and listen to her every chance you get.

shooter on January 27, 2007 at 1:50 PM