Video: Pelosi’s daughter talks evangelical Christians on H&C Updated by Hot Air’s resident evangelical

posted at 11:43 am on January 25, 2007 by Allahpundit

Tonight’s the night. Sounds like a humdinger.

The questions, rather than being confrontational, are inoffensive or, at best (or worst), gently mocking. Descending upon a Burger King parking lot full of souped-up cars – the staging area for a Georgia driving club called Cruisers for Christ – she asks drivers what sort of car Jesus might have driven.

I don’t much like the question, but I loved one answer: “He might have driven a Chrysler.”

She had hours and hours of footage to cull. Here’s a snippet of something that made the final 60-minute cut:

“You know all the surveys say that evangelicals have the best sex life of any other group,” [Ted] Haggard waggishly told a documentary filmmaker a few months before his secret came out. On “Friends of God: A Road Trip With Alexandra Pelosi,” which will be shown tonight on HBO, Mr. Haggard coaxes a member of his congregation to say how often he has sex with his wife (“Every day. Twice a day.”) and how often she climaxes (“Every time”).

You could almost see the wrathful lightning bolt striking down from the heavens.

Note the exchange with Hannity about agendas towards the end.

Update (Bryan): From a reader:

Native of Atlanta. Raised up in Lithia Springs (Ga.) First Baptist Church. Attended college in Alabama. Married a native of Crawford County, Ohio. Never lived north of Dalton, Ga., until I was 38 years old. Attend church regularly.

I am as Red-State Bible Belt as you could ask for… I had NEVER heard the expression “Hell’s Box Office” until I clicked on that video and saw Nancy Pelosi’s daughter say it on “H&C.”

I am sick and tired of these ridiculous smears of the Religious Right. This is just a bunch of rich city slickers propagating stereotypes about country rubes. This betrays a prejudice that is about as “sophisticated” as “The Beverly Hillbillies.”

This experience is a lot like my own: Born and raised near Dallas. Southern Baptist since I was conscious. Never once in my life heard “Hell’s Box Office” before Alexandra Pelosi inflicted it on me in that clip. Not once.

Pelosi’s smear is similar to Andrew Sullivan’s “Christian Reconstructionists” nonsense. There might be 50 of those guys in the whole country, but Sullivan uses them to smear the other 20 to 50 million evangelicals even though we’ve never heard of them and those of us who have heard of them (through Sullivan’s rants) disagree with them. The Hell’s Box Office thing is probably the saying in one church where Pelosi happened to conduct her zoological research. It is certainly not a dominant meme in the hallowed halls of megachurches throughout these United States.

So basically, she’s full of it.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Did anyone watch? I forgot that it premiered tonight and only caught the last 20 minutes. I will record it on the replay Sat night and watch the whole thing.

I saw the Ted Haggard portion. It was taped one year before his fall from grace. His segment was quite lengthy, extremely articulate and effective, and did not mention homosexuality at all. Then a note appeared explaining that a year later, he admitted to certain sins and stepped down from New Life.

One interesting segment showed a huge rock concert for Christian kids — quite an impressive crowd and a very slick production. A note appeared saying these 40,000 kids showed up for this concert in San Francisco on such and such a date… I can only imagine how shocked some secular San Fran humanists will be to learn of this invasion… or that they survived the attack.

Small thing at the end, which I’d like to learn more about. Somewhere in America a full scale recreation of Noah’s Ark is being built. The frame looks to be already built… intriguing.

Salabama on January 25, 2007 at 11:03 PM

THREAD HIJACK!

Sorry guys, I think she is a two-bagger. One to put over her head and one to puke in.
csdeven on January 25, 2007 at 5:37 PM

Can we please stop this? Please?
What possible good is gained by attacking the appearance/attractiveness of various liberal women?

It would be one thing if the MSM were crammed full of paeans to the magnetic sex appeal of Hillary Clinton, Barbra Streisand, Nancy Pelosi, Rosie O’Donnell, et. al., and we were thus striking back against dishonest liberal media spin. But this is not the case, and nobody’s trying to claim that Alexandra Pelosi’s a potential Playmate of the Month. (Ace would probably hit it, but that’s a very low standard.)

But seriously, fat/ugly jokes about Rosie and other liberal women don’t really serve any purpose — unless they’re really funny, and most aren’t. Calling somebody a “two-bagger,” a “dog” or a “fat cow” just makes conservatives look mean-spirited. If you’re not going to bring real humor, leave the insults at home.

Besides, I always thought Monica Lewinsky was kind of sexy ….

Ali-Bubba on January 25, 2007 at 11:04 PM

Anyone bother to google “hell’s box office”?
76 references….most relate back to pelosi herself…

I think we can call this myth…busted.

Liberrocky

liberrocky on January 25, 2007 at 11:11 PM

And then there’s the Military Channel…Hooah!

Jen the Neocon on January 25, 2007 at 10:55 PM

I thought this was the military channel. You mean there’s another one? Excellent.

Buck Turgidson on January 25, 2007 at 11:21 PM

Ali-Bubba on January 25, 2007 at 11:04 PM

Amen and amen.

tikvah on January 25, 2007 at 11:26 PM

Just finished watching it. It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. She did a great job catching the irony/hypocrisy that was the Haggard case (example: when he was speaking in front of a large picture of the 10 commandments, with Thou Shalt Not Commit Adultery right over his head).

tikvah on January 25, 2007 at 11:31 PM

Liberrocky,

Good point. You are right.

I googled the “hell’s box office.” On the first page one mention from a Seattle blog. Then there was Hell’s Angels, Hell’s Hinges (what is that?),Hell’s Kitchen.

Second page towards the end, it’s mentioned on a TIME blog.

That seems to be it for about 4 pages. It looked like most of the links were to old movies.

When I put HBO in front of the phrase, there were more links to Pelosi,–mostly reviews of the documentary. I never did see a link that had the phrase being used by someone other than Pelosi or HBO.

I guess this is how new liberal memes are born.

INC on January 25, 2007 at 11:34 PM

Oh. Forgot to mention about “Hell’s Box Office.” I’ve never heard that one but I’ve heard “Homo Box Office” and “HoTime” for Showtime. I’ve also heard and used both “See B.S.” for CBS and “Commie News Network” for CNN. I have a couple other choice names for ABC and NBC, rated R. Guess it all depends on your point of view.

Agree with whoever heartily recommended TCM and The Military Channel. Also, believe it or not, the DTime (Discovery/NY Times) channel has some outstanding programs about Al-Q, Jihad, internet recruiting, Hamas, Hezbo, Bin Laden, etc. And a FANTASTIC 5 part series based on Mark Bowden’s “Guests of the Ayatollah.”

Salabama on January 25, 2007 at 11:38 PM

Do not forget “Skinemax”

EnochCain on January 25, 2007 at 11:40 PM

I was raised in rural central Texas and I do recall the phrase “Hell’s Box Office”, though it was back when I was in high school. One of my classmates did a paper on the ‘rampant satanism’ of pop culture, and while she was doing her research I noticed that instead of carrying around her Bible as usual she was carrying a book by the Peters brothers. So I asked her about it–and got an earful, including the rant against HBO. I tended to be a magnet for thumpers at that time, and some of the exchanges were quite memorable because they were either really humorous or grossly inappropriate (often both). I probably wouldn’t remember it at all if it were a different context.

VerbumSap on January 26, 2007 at 12:28 AM

Watching that video clip caused me to remember a brief tenure I endured working for a very liberal outfit. Anything conservative, or Christian-like was derided heavily in casual conversations like it was some kind of poison. The very idea that there were moral absolutes that guided peoples lives was treated as a quaint, outdated idea. Everything was to be questioned, regardless. Of course, politically, the climate was quite liberal (big surprise there). I can’t imagine her world is much different.

Anyway, back to the topic. It struck me funny that she seemed surprised that Christians have their own subculture. As if this was some odd little secret kept away from general pubic view. All I could think of was, tune into a Christian radio or TV program sometime, and you’ll quickly figure out there’s lots of marketed activities and events just for them there poor hapless Christians.

And what’s with the comment she made about while she was studying them, they studied her. Well, sure, who wouldn’t be curious to the agenda she claims she didn’t have. No one wants to be put on tv and treated like a brainless howler monkey for their personal religious beliefs (reality show contestants aside). I’d be suspicious too, if someone came up to me with a camera, and wanted to hear about my beliefs. Documentary or not.

For what it’s worth, I’ve never heard the term “Hells Box Office” either.

DaveinOhio on January 26, 2007 at 12:48 AM

Salabama, I agree, too, about DIS channel–hard to believe that the NYTimes sponsors these shows where the threat of IslamoFascist murder is presented in pretty stark, factual terms and then when you contrast it with the editorial bent of their paper, well, you’ve gotta wonder.
I liked the “Guests of the Ayatollah” show very much, except that it made me furious about the hostage crisis of ’79-80 all over again!
I’ve hated the radical Iranians ever since.
If only Jimmuh hadn’t been such a wuss…

Jen the Neocon on January 26, 2007 at 1:01 AM

Oh dear, is little Enrique acting out again?

Listen, halfwit, you really don’t need to be afraid, this is America, you’re free worship or not to worship as you choose. You obviously have a problem with Christians, but that is your problem.

I hate to tell you, but you can be as offensive as you wish and nothing will happen to you. Isn’t that great? Now try and spout off nonsense like an idiot in an atheist-communist country and see what happens to you. Spout off in a Muslim country and see what happens to you.

You ignorant twit, thank God you live in a country founded by Christians, with laws based on Christian principles, so that you are free to act as you do and say whatever you want.

…and yes, I am laughing at you, not with you.

reaganaut on January 26, 2007 at 1:07 AM

oh… my… god… they cloned Joy Behar

SilverStar830 on January 26, 2007 at 1:12 AM

As somone from a semi-rural region I wish I had the time to make a documentrary about “Sheltered city-folk”… You know the kind that pull over and take pictures if they see an Amish buggy, or think that people in the country “tip cows”

Jones Zemkophill on January 25, 2007 at 1:51 PM

“Jones Zemkophill,”

What is an Amish buggy” and what is a cow?

William

William2006 on January 26, 2007 at 3:44 AM

Jen,

You are welcome back anytime!

Centurion68 on January 26, 2007 at 6:55 AM

I’ve never heard of “Hell’s Box Office” either, and I’m from down yonder too.

ballz2wallz on January 26, 2007 at 7:43 AM

DaveinOhio on January 26, 2007 at 12:48 AM

Absolutely! I was channeling surfing and saw that Daniel Boone was being rerun on a Christian channel locally. I am hooked on the show now, and on some of the content on that channel. It is a stark contrast from standard programming and men on tv and in movies now. I cannot even imagine a tv show like Daniel Boone being made now and I am old enough to remember when it was new!

CrimsonFisted on January 26, 2007 at 8:19 AM

Ali-bubba & tikvah,

If you’re not going to bring real humor, leave the insults at home.

I understand your complaint and I apologize for offending you.

As a side bar, wouldn’t you agree that humor is in the eye of the beholder?

csdeven on January 26, 2007 at 9:09 AM

CrimsonFisted on January 26, 2007 at 8:19 AM

Oh yeah…..Daniel Boone, Gun Smoke, Dick Van Dyke, Andy Griffith, Flipper, et al were wholesome clean shows.

I haven’t watched HBO for many, many years. They did a series of shows on devient sexual behavior. But not in an educational format. It was almost like they were promoting the behavior. That was it for me and HBO.

csdeven on January 26, 2007 at 9:18 AM

“Hells Box Office”

We dumb-hic Christians down in Tucson just call it “icky”.

jjjen on January 26, 2007 at 9:31 AM

I thought she was kind of cute, too. I’m kind of a glasses guy. Then again, I was a physics major, so pretty much anything remotely female looks okay to me.

Hell’s Box Office?! I know that I’m not cool, or hip, or def, or dope, or anything remotely resembling any of those words, but give me a break. I had never, ever heard the phrase Hell’s Box Office before Pelosi mentioned it on Hannity and Colmes. Then again, I’m one of those knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathing, Jesusland evangelicals, so what do I know.

Physics Geek on January 26, 2007 at 9:34 AM

Besides, I always thought Monica Lewinsky was kind of sexy ….

Ali-Bubba on January 25, 2007 at 11:04 PM

Bravo! (It is possible that people who appear mean-spirited, are in fact, mean-spirited.) What offends me as much as the unlying misogyny, is the idea that sort of trash in any way passes for wit.

honora on January 26, 2007 at 10:15 AM

If she wasn’t Nonni’s daughter, we’d all be saying who cares?

I am a backslid Southern Baptist, but I too have never heard that term. Its funny, no doubt.

There is a BIG MEGA CHURCH in South Carolina that I have to drive by on my way home to Sleepy Southern Hometown. It looks like an NFL football dome in that it is several stories high and has many sides.

We call it THE REPENTAGON——–I’m a Baptist and I wet my pants every time I think of it!

seejanemom on January 26, 2007 at 11:54 AM

“You are destroying America.” Ms. Pelosi, daughter of the Speaker of the House speaking about Evangelical Christians.
Folks, this is the money quote.
And what follows: What plans does the Left have to stop this apparent travesty from occuring? Ms. Pelsoi is getting the ball rolling by producing and airing a negative, clique-ridden hit piece to belittle a loose conglomerate of Christians to insert into the secular media world that these people are dangerous. Demonize, and start slicing the salami. As Hannity asked, what about all the good works Christians are doing? Pelosi’s snarky response spoke volumes. In her view, Christians don’t do good.

naliaka on January 26, 2007 at 12:21 PM

Stupidly, I never even considered that I’d have to listen to Pelosi’s kids too.

I have no excuse either. I remember reading stories in the paper about Billy Carter pissing in alleyways.

Dwilkers on January 26, 2007 at 12:33 PM

When I first saw the clip I thought “It
s Jannine Garofolo after a diet!” Agenda! Agenda! Agenda! Who doesn’t have one? That female troglodite certainly does.

Chief1942 on January 26, 2007 at 12:34 PM

While not a comment on her looks specifically, (which is irrelevant anyway), those little oval shaped glasses are beyond cliched for every liberal woman. Are they part of a “liberal kit,” that comes with the purchase of every new Toyota or what?

This hyper-ventilating, arrogant ass could stand to
slowdownthespeedofherspeech for one thing. I suspect another liberal “caf-feined.”

Also, one more vote for – never heard of her Hell’s Box Office bull-oney either, and I grew up Southern Baptist and still live amongst them. Methinks she’s taking propoganda tips from Mein Kampf (penned by another ultra-liberal), i.e. “the big lie.”

Indy Mark on January 26, 2007 at 12:53 PM

Yep, you repeat a lie long enough and strong enough and pretty soon it becomes a valid truth in the mind of too many.

INC on January 26, 2007 at 1:09 PM

honora on January 26, 2007 at 10:15 AM

You should be one to talk after your spirited defense of the bile that spewed forth from Barbara Boxer’s toxic mouth.

thirteen28 on January 26, 2007 at 1:18 PM

Ali-Bubba on January 25, 2007 at 11:04 PM

Agreed. We’re not the Daily Kos, for crying out loud.

PRCalDude on January 26, 2007 at 1:21 PM

Besides, I always thought Monica Lewinsky was kind of sexy ….

I question your patriotism. :-)

Slublog on January 26, 2007 at 1:30 PM

Spelling correction to above post-it’s propAganda, I realize. Sorry. That’ll learn me to run my wordz past spell checker. But then I is just a stoopid Christian anyhoo, huh Alexandra?

Indy Mark on January 26, 2007 at 1:40 PM

As I’ve done in the past, I decided to use Google to research the relevance of ‘HBO=Hell’s Box Office’
201 hits for “Hell’s Box Office”
129 excluding Pelosi
So over a third of the hits appear to be references to Pelosi herself talking about this ‘common’ terminology. Folks, I can misspell something on Google and get 10 thousand hits.

The Monster on January 26, 2007 at 2:07 PM

Damn, I want that Preview button.

129 excluding Pelosi

The Monster on January 26, 2007 at 2:08 PM

Ok, gloves off. Let’s see if you take it as well as you dish it out. Shall we engage in a conversation about our gaped toothed, poor man’s dominantrix, Condi? Or how about some comments on our piano-legged, wide-load first lady? (With a butt like that, re-think the pastels honey).

God I feel dirty…..

honora on January 25, 2007 at 10:17 AM

honora, was this trash or wit?

Entelechy on January 26, 2007 at 2:16 PM

You couldn’t be talking about me.

I very clearly said, “I’d hit it.”

natesnake on January 26, 2007 at 2:18 PM

I guess those who can’t do, teach; those who can’t teach, teach gym; and those who can’t teach gym, teach film study.

mymanpotsandpans on January 26, 2007 at 3:24 PM

honora on January 26, 2007 at 10:15 AM

Coming from the person who perhaps call more people cruel names than anyone else, unbelievable. You have no shame.

right2bright on January 26, 2007 at 3:35 PM

I have an idea for Alexandra Pelosi’s next documentary. Let her compare stories of Americans who have gone from rags to riches to the children of America’s media, entertainment and political elites who have gotten book contracts, financing for film projects and cushy jobs without having to work up from the bottom.

It’s funny. If a person is fortunate to have been born to a family that owns a successful business and takes over that business, folks like A. Pelosi would be the first to talk of silver spoons, while they ignore the gold flatware that has fed them their entire life.

rokemronnie on January 26, 2007 at 4:10 PM

honora on January 26, 2007 at 10:15 AM

Honora dear, I think you meant “underlying”. In any case, have you ever used the world “prick” in a disparaging manner (while declaring the “C” word verboten for anyone with a Y chromosome)? Ever used the phrase “testosterone poisoning”?

Why is it that when men are criticized, comments about their physical appearance are considered fair game, but pointing out that a fat stupid woman is in fact fat and stupid gets labeled as misogyny?

Honora, just remember “two legs bad four legs good” was not much different than believing that women are the font of all good things and what men do is unfortunate at best.

rokemronnie on January 26, 2007 at 4:17 PM