China bans pigs from TV ads to appease Muslims

posted at 10:46 am on January 25, 2007 by Allahpundit

Those of us who own Command & Conquer: Generals know — this isn’t the way it’s supposed to be.

Who could have guessed that the ChiCom thugocracy would go dhimmi before we did?

Chinese TV’s ban comes in the wake of the killing of 18 Muslims by police in the country’s remote northwest earlier this month. The government accused the men of being terrorists. Muslim activists have called for an independent investigation…

“After an incident like that, the government often tries to make up for it, in an overt propaganda way,” says Dru Gladney, an anthropologist at Pomona College in California, who studies China’s Muslims…

“We don’t want to see any misunderstanding like the one 12 years ago,” during the last Year of the Pig, says Mr. Ma. At that time, Mr. Ma says, some newspapers published a tale in which a pig saves the life of Muhammad. “That aroused a lot of anger,” he says.

It’s strange to think of Big Brother making concessions to a minority, but it makes sense given the numbers. There are more than 20 million Muslims in China; the total population of Iraq as of 2005 was only 29 million. Twenty million isn’t enough to win, but it’s enough to whip up a nice little quagmire if properly motivated. The regime doesn’t want an insurgency sapping its resources while it’s trying to build a superpower and since autocrats don’t have to concern themselves overly with the feelings of the majority, they can afford to simply zap some offending images. In this case, paradoxically, it’s the totalitarian nature of the government that enables the political correctness. Among other things.

Just one more reason to dislike China.

Comments

China’s not going to be the threat in the 21st century. Demographics.

PRCalDude on January 25, 2007 at 10:57 AM

Wait. Activists in China? I thought activist meant dead over there.

lorien1973 on January 25, 2007 at 10:58 AM

Since when does a bunch of Godless commies care about religious sensitivity? I thought they’d just run over them with a tank.

Buck Turgidson on January 25, 2007 at 11:04 AM

I thought communist countries didn’t have religion OR TV commercials.

Farmer_Joe on January 25, 2007 at 11:14 AM

EXACTLY what I was thinking Buck.

csdeven on January 25, 2007 at 11:14 AM

I guess since they are not unarmed teenagers protesting for democracy that the ChiComs are scared.

Damn, I never thought they would be prey to political correctness like this.

thirteen28 on January 25, 2007 at 11:22 AM

Whats the problem? The pig is cuter than Muqtada Al-Sadr.

jman on January 25, 2007 at 11:25 AM

Allah you’re a C&C fan huh?

bj1126 on January 25, 2007 at 11:25 AM

This might be the first time I’ve ever sort of agreed with Debbie Schlussel. I’m almost scared of what’s going to happen next.

JaHerer22 on January 25, 2007 at 11:29 AM

csdeven, I can see how muslims get away with pushing around the PC, multi-culti countries. When the totalitarian regimes start bending over for the muhamidans, the world is in more trouble than I thought. What good is oppression if you give the bad guys a pass? No pigs on TV, but hey…is that a Bible?…to the gulag with you. I love to hear what Mark Steyn would say about this.

Buck Turgidson on January 25, 2007 at 11:32 AM

Please contact your congressmen to provide amnesty to the swine, they are being persecuted by the commies. Save the pork!

infidel on January 25, 2007 at 11:33 AM

Eastasia has never shown pigs on television. Eastasia has always shown fluffy bunnies on television. Eastasia has never been at war with militant Islam. Eastasia has always been allies of militant Islam.

BohicaTwentyTwo on January 25, 2007 at 11:36 AM

What next – no pork lo mein? Oh the humanity!

Candy Slice on January 25, 2007 at 11:43 AM

Wow, they imprison and murder christians in China, but they are afraid to offend the Muslims with photos of pigs…weird. Actually, it’s only weird if you are ignorant to the Truth…

NRA4Freedom on January 25, 2007 at 11:44 AM

At fisrt glance I thought “Is China banning Rosie?”

That pic is a bit misleading…

JetBoy on January 25, 2007 at 11:49 AM

Just one more reason to dislike China.

Are we having a little Wang envy?

Kid from Brooklyn on January 25, 2007 at 11:56 AM

It’s probably just a matter of time before pigs are excised from our culture–no more 3 Little Pigs, Porky Pig, This Little Piggy Went to Market, Pigs in Space, Arnold the Pig on Green Acres, Porky’s (I and II), Pork Chop Hill…

China versus the ubiquitous pig. Gotta say, I take the pig.

honora on January 25, 2007 at 12:10 PM

I thought communist countries didn’t have religion OR TV commercials.

Farmer_Joe on January 25, 2007 at 11:14 AM

My first thought at first. (Well on the first part, they are trying to become Communist with somewhat free trade; not wanting to go down like the USSR)

Think maybe there is a pig shortage and this is a cover up? And does this tinfoil make my hat look to big? Sorry, but I don’t trust any move China makes.

– The Cat

MirCat on January 25, 2007 at 12:18 PM

Will they now stop making pirated DVDs of “Charlotte’s Web”?

A talking pig? I KEEEELL YOU IN THE NAME OF ALLAH!!! LALALALALA

Tony737 on January 25, 2007 at 12:26 PM

Maybe the real audience they’re sucking up to are in the middle-east. Yep, it’s the oil, stupid.

dhimwit on January 25, 2007 at 12:36 PM

But the question should be asked is will they be able to show the movie “Charlotte’s Web”?

Kokonut on January 25, 2007 at 12:52 PM

Will they now stop making pirated DVDs of “Charlotte’s Web”?

A talking pig? I KEEEELL YOU IN THE NAME OF ALLAH!!! LALALALALA

Tony737 on January 25, 2007 at 12:26 PM

Kokonut on January 25, 2007 at 12:52 PM

Oh sure, show me up with all your fancy classic kids literature…..

honora on January 25, 2007 at 12:56 PM

More problems: when you kid eats with his mouth open, he is eating just like a….goat? When your husband doesn’t pick up his laundry, he is such a….squirrel? When you give in to the urges and eat that whole container of Ben and Jerry’s, you’re…..deering out?

No, no, no. This won’t do. And how about “hog”? A whole other problem….

honora on January 25, 2007 at 12:59 PM

If we start being P.C. to the Muslims here, will MKH have to change her last name.

joeswampy on January 25, 2007 at 2:20 PM

Pork Fat Rules, oh, er, Gung Hee Fat Choy!

It the year of the Pig starting next month!
Last year, it was the year of the Dog.

I though Muslims didn’t like dogs either!??!

And not just to eat!

Kini on January 25, 2007 at 2:23 PM

Dam Communist Pigs! Oh, not so much? Dam Communist Pandas!

soulsirkus on January 25, 2007 at 2:25 PM

Wow who would have thunk that there were liberals in China. Joke.

For the record, Islam plagiarized the pig prohibition from Judaism,

Timber Wolf on January 25, 2007 at 2:29 PM

As long as they keep sending Chinese folks here that make Geneal Tzo’s Chicken the right way I don’t care if they show Rosie on tv or not.

Drtuddle on January 25, 2007 at 2:41 PM

And the Chinese chefs do such good work with pork too.

Seriously, guess the lieberal hope that the Commies will stave off the Islamokazis just went up in smoke.

Even more seriously, I can’t wait for Tiberium Wars. I wonder if Slavik lives along with Kane.

steveegg on January 25, 2007 at 3:03 PM

This is very stupid. Normal muslims don’t hate pigs, they just won’t eat them. The mere sight of a pig is not an affront to Islam.

sandberg on January 25, 2007 at 3:38 PM

Pigs to muslims is like a FOX to liberals.
I have already heard one liberal wanting to ban FOX.

right2bright on January 25, 2007 at 4:23 PM

honora, you can be very clever and funny. Your January 25, 2007 at 12:59 PM post was a riot :)

It w/b a very sad day if the Germans couldn’t use any terms which begin with Schwein-, including the stand-alone, which is way more insulting than ‘pig’ in English.

Biggest losses w/b:

Schweinehund (non-existent, not even in legends, but heavily used as insult = pig-dog)
Sauschedel (Sau=female pig and Schedel=head, not in a complimentary way, like ‘dumb head’)
Saukopf (Kopf=head; however, together with Sau is nasty)

And, of course, Dummkopf, same category…

But most dramatic for them w/b the loss of roasted pork and all those saussages.

Entelechy on January 25, 2007 at 4:27 PM

General, your nuclear missile is ready.

Kevin M on January 25, 2007 at 4:36 PM

…Eastasia has never been at war with militant Islam. Eastasia has always been allies of militant Islam.

BohicaTwentyTwo on January 25, 2007 at 11:36 AM

Whoa! Now hold on their a minute, youngster. Go back and READ your 13th century history. Ghengis Khan and the Mongol hordes were NO FANS of Islam. Getting accurate numbers or statistics from that time period is difficult at best, but I’d be willing to wager that the Mongols beheaded more Muslims back in the 1200s than we could kill with conventional weapons if we were in Iraq and Afghanistan for another ten years.

Then, on the other hand, the Mongols ruled their vast empire for something like 200 years. Many of them converted to Islam during that long stretch of time.

Oh, wait (**embarassed**) — I’m just a little slow.
George Orwell’s 1984, right?

CyberCipher on January 25, 2007 at 8:38 PM

I took a flight to China a few years ago. Instead of “chicken or beef” I was offered pork chops or pork ribs for my dinner. I knew I wasn’t in Kansas anymore.

To even think that the Chinese would give up pork is stupid. They eat more parts of the pig than I even knew pig parts existed. My wife’s Chinese (as in born in China) and having dinner at my house is a little like a cross between P.F. Chang’s and Fear Factor. If you think for one second that the Chinese will give up pork than your fung shui is way off.

Mojave Mark on January 26, 2007 at 12:32 AM

Mojave Mark on January 26, 2007 at 12:32 AM

Post of the week for me. PF Changs and fear factor…funny.

right2bright on January 26, 2007 at 10:03 AM

For the record, Islam plagiarized the pig prohibition from Judaism,

Timber Wolf on January 25, 2007 at 2:29 PM

Plagiarized pig prohibition.

Way to alliterate TW!! Try saying this 5 times fast….

honora on January 26, 2007 at 10:43 AM

PF Changs and fear factor…

heh…Glad I’m not the only one who has unidentifiable animal parts in my freezer, next to the banana leaves, squid heads and dumplings stuffed with ??????

Alden Pyle on January 26, 2007 at 1:30 PM

China versus the ubiquitous pig. Gotta say, I take the pig.

honora on January 25, 2007 at 12:10 PM

We’re already there.

Alden Pyle on January 26, 2007 at 1:46 PM

Also, potentially to be missed “pearls before swine”…

Entelechy on January 26, 2007 at 5:15 PM