Video: Cheney gets testy with Blitzer over question about daughter’s pregnancy

posted at 7:30 pm on January 24, 2007 by Ian

During a taped interview with CNN’s Wolf Blitzer, Vice President Dick Cheney reacted strongly to a question concerning Cheney’s pregnant lesbian daughter. Cheney said Blitzer was ‘out of line’ several times after the CNN anchor repeatedly tried to get an answer out of the Vice President:

Transcript:

Blitzer: Your daughter Mary, she’s pregnant. All of us are happy. She’s going to have a baby. You’re going to have another grandchild. Some of the — some critics, though, are suggesting, for example, a statement from someone representing Focus on the Family:

“Mary Cheney’s pregnancy raises the question of what’s best for children. Just because it’s possible to conceive a child outside of the relationship of a married mother and father, doesn’t mean it’s best for the child.”

Do you want to respond to that?

THE VICE PRESIDENT: No, I don’t.

Blitzer: She’s obviously a good daughter –

VICE PRESIDENT: I’m delighted — I’m delighted I’m about to have a sixth grandchild, Wolf, and obviously think the world of both of my daughters and all of my grandchildren. And I think, frankly, you’re out of line with that question.

Blitzer: I think all of us appreciate –

VICE PRESIDENT: I think you’re out of — I think you’re out of line with that question.

Blitzer: — your daughter. We like your daughters. Believe me, I’m very, very sympathetic to Liz and to Mary. I like them both. That was just a question that’s come up and it’s a responsible, fair question.

VICE PRESIDENT: I just fundamentally disagree with your perspective.

Update (1/25): The Independent Conservative isn’t mad about the question, but that Wolf kept asking after Cheney said it was out of line. I do feel the question was out of line, however I think I was angered more when Wolf continued to press the Vice President, holder of the second highest office in the nation, about a subject he obviously was not going to entertain.

Comments

Is Wolfie still pissed about the beating he took from Lynn?

d1carter on January 24, 2007 at 7:36 PM

WOLF: Do you want to respond to that?
THE VICE PRESIDENT: No, I don’t.

I think the VP handled it fine. Wolf asked if he wanted to respond. The Veep said no. Wolf shoulda moved on. Instead, Wolf made himself look foolish.

What part of “No” did Wolf have trouble understanding?

DPierre on January 24, 2007 at 7:38 PM

Don’t mess with Uncle Dick, Wolf. Some hunter in TX did that once.

Once.

thirteen28 on January 24, 2007 at 7:40 PM

Coo-coo-coo cooooooo
Coo-coo-coo cooooooo

Dove to the right of me. Dove to the left of me.

Come-on Mr VP….two years its all over…just ask Wolfy
‘Is that corn on your beard?’

Limerick on January 24, 2007 at 7:41 PM

DPierre on January 24, 2007 at 7:38 PM

If journalists took no for an answer they wouldn’t be very good journalists.

JaHerer22 on January 24, 2007 at 7:43 PM

That was as uncomfortable as a homophobe in a gay bar.

Valiant on January 24, 2007 at 7:50 PM

JaHere22,

He asked Dick if he wanted to answer a personal question about his family. Its hardly WMDs is it?

aengus on January 24, 2007 at 7:53 PM

God, what a schmuck!

Grantman on January 24, 2007 at 7:55 PM

If journalists took no for an answer they wouldn’t be very good journalists.

JaHerer22 on January 24, 2007 at 7:43 PM

Yeah shame on Dick Cheny for not allowing his new Grandbaby to be politisized by an uncaring reporter for a radical gay agenda.

William Amos on January 24, 2007 at 8:01 PM

If journalists took no for an answer they wouldn’t be very good journalists.

JaHerer22 on January 24, 2007 at 7:43 PM

What if they never ask a yes or no question in the first place?

Well, I guess that counts The Perky One out as a “journalist“…and every other BOOT LICKING THROAT IN THE MSM…..

Come on..JaHerer22….next

seejanemom on January 24, 2007 at 8:03 PM

ironic that the liberal appears more homophobic and uncertain and questioning about a lesbian having a child then the ‘right wing repuglikkkan fascist knuckle dragger’.

**** Wolf on this one, Cheney handles this like a grandfather and parent would. I would’ve been more furious

Defector01 on January 24, 2007 at 8:08 PM

If journalists took no for an answer they wouldn’t be very good journalists.

JaHerer22 on January 24, 2007 at 7:43 PM

Good journalists take the answer given. Quacks only accept the answer they want to hear.

News2Use on January 24, 2007 at 8:08 PM

The VP should have reached over and slapped that little puke Blitzer up along side the head.

rplat on January 24, 2007 at 8:17 PM

Obama’s kids go to a private school. When he was asked if that conflicts with his stance against school choice (vouchers) it was not seen as being out of line.

Cheney is part of a political party that claims values and faith. And a VERY high ranking member in the party, as US Vice President.

Should we accept Liberals being asked about their children, while expressing scorn when a Republican is asked about his?

I think Wolf should have simply let it go after Dick’s first response “no”, but I don’t fault him for asking.

IndependentConserv on January 24, 2007 at 8:21 PM

Yes, Blitzer is still licking his wounds from the ass-beating he took from Lynn over the Terrorist Sniper video and other bits & pieces.

Dick should invite him to go a-quail huntin’ with him! HA!

MsUnderestimated on January 24, 2007 at 8:27 PM

Dear Hot Air:

It could’ve been worse.

Regards,

Senator Patrick Leahy (D-People’s Republic of Vermont)

Kid from Brooklyn on January 24, 2007 at 8:34 PM

Just before that part:

BLITZER: He said, the other day — he said, “The president listens too much to the vice
president. Of course, the president bears the ultimate responsibility, but he’s been very badly served by both the vice president and, most of all, the secretary of Defense.” That was John McCain.
CHENEY: So?
BLITZER: No reaction?
CHENEY: I just disagree with him.

Too much class to say STFU…

Candy Slice on January 24, 2007 at 8:35 PM

I love the long silence after Vice President Cheney said “no, I don’t”.

I would have died laughing if the VP would have used that line from those kids in the movie Talladega Nights “I’m gonna go ape $h!t on you…”

Zorro on January 24, 2007 at 8:37 PM

I dont think Wolf is going hunting with Dick.

StuLongIsland on January 24, 2007 at 8:43 PM

two things:

1) Cheney’s expression is priceless in my opinion. He looks like he’s having as much fun as someone with intestinal flu or like he’d rather be on the toilet.

2) Blitzer – just prior to bringing up the daughter, stated, “We’re out of time, but I just have a couple more issues I want to raise with you.”

I’m sorry, but IMO you don’t begin a “personal” message of congratulations or what not with “issues I want to raise with you.” This was a set up pure and simple. If Blitzer was just trying to express how much they at CNN like the daughters and congratulate the VP on a new grand-daughter he would have ended it. But he kept going. It was a set-up.

armyvet on January 24, 2007 at 8:55 PM

You know… some times I’ve got to wonder if Cheney wouldn’t have made a better president.

He has a more “heavy” gravitas than Bush.

Jones Zemkophill on January 24, 2007 at 9:03 PM

If journalists took no for an answer they wouldn’t be very good journalists.

JaHerer22 on January 24, 2007 at 7:43 PM

So, JaHerer22, yes or no, have you stopped beating your wife?

spmat on January 24, 2007 at 9:10 PM

WOLF: I like your daughters…

What a buffoon.

Ugly on January 24, 2007 at 9:13 PM

Blitzer just had to pursue the line of questioning to get the “I fundamentally disagree with your perspective” statement. Then he says I like your daughter we are happy for her. Bulls**t! He just raised an issure of child welfare a minute before. Its the same game Boxer was trying to play with Condi. Push buttons then try a dose of public humiliation. Didn’t work on Condi. Didn’t work on Cheney.

sonnyspats1 on January 24, 2007 at 9:22 PM

Wolfie should stop stealing from the David Gregory School of Journalism and resist re-phrasing the same question multiple times and ways until getting the response he seeks.

It gets old very, very quickly and makes the Interviewer look like a classless ass!

Yet, Wolfie has always been a classless ass.

Jack.

Jack Deth on January 24, 2007 at 9:25 PM

Squirm!

Tzetzes on January 24, 2007 at 9:26 PM

CHENEY’S 2
WOLF 0

Good thing Wolf’s not a hunter..

Scotsman on January 24, 2007 at 9:35 PM

Wolf was trying to get a rise out of the VP concerning his daughter but also to get him to react negatively to the Focus on the Family statement…and so, cause a bigger discussion.

I like it when someone in public office says “mind your own business”.

jatfla on January 24, 2007 at 9:40 PM

Well, which way is it with liberals? Is “Heather has two Mommies” ok or not?

BacaDog on January 24, 2007 at 9:42 PM

…it’s a responsible, fair question.”

Yeah, sure, Wolf.
And don’t give up your day job, because you sure can’t be an actor!
I almost believe he actually cared about the Cheney daughters.

I love the Cheneys!
Big Time put Blitzer away just like Lady Lynn did–they are the greatest!
(I sent Mrs. Cheney an email after Wolf tried to play “Gotcha” with her and told her “You go, lady!” and she sent me a personal thank you note back!
Is that classy or what?!)

Jen the Neocon on January 24, 2007 at 9:47 PM

Was he asked like “I hear your kids are GOOD kids so why are they going to private School ?”

Is a difference in tone in the two questions.

William Amos on January 24, 2007 at 9:59 PM

A blablabla . . .blablabla. . . blablabla–Wolf Blitzer

Troy Rasmussen on January 24, 2007 at 10:12 PM

Dick should invite him to go a-quail huntin’ with him! HA!

MsUnderestimated on January 24, 2007 at 8:27 PM

That would have been HILARIOUS!!!!

VICE PRESIDENT: I just fundamentally disagree with your perspective. Wolf, would you like to go quail hunting in Texas?

Hahahahahahahahahahahah

Troy Rasmussen on January 24, 2007 at 10:16 PM

Wolf did the old shuffle when The Vice President gave him
That long serious look. Certainly hope Wolfs anal pucker
was squeaking a bit. What a Dips–t

Texyank on January 24, 2007 at 10:54 PM

Much ado about nothing – both sides. apparently, are OK wtih double standards.

Emmett J. on January 24, 2007 at 11:10 PM

Why is Wolf “symathetic” to his daughters? What is going on with them that they need his sympathy?

Wolf thinks it’s a fair question because like all the moonbat left, they use personal private sexual behavior as a political position. They have no class what so ever. How many gays use the death of their friends who have died from AIDS as a political tool? The normal world grieves in private and do not cheapen their loved ones memory by bandying their suffering in a public forum.

You have to consider the source when evaluating their questioning.

Wolf is a puke.

csdeven on January 24, 2007 at 11:19 PM

I’m not comfortable with asking Barak Obama about what school his kids go to, either. Still, it’s not the same thing. Barak Obama picks his children’s school. Dick Cheney does not make decisions for his adult daughter. Asking somebody to comment on their own choices is different from asking them to comment on their daughter’s choices.

sandberg on January 24, 2007 at 11:22 PM

shouldn’t cheney be fundamentally disagreeing with focus on the family’s perspective?

i’m not saying blitzer isn’t getting his weasley kicks out of it, buti really wish cheney would show more leadership on this stuff.

jummy on January 25, 2007 at 1:05 AM

Wolf: Do you want to respond to that?

Cheney: No, I don’t.

Man, I love that guy. He can flip you the bird without even moving his hands.

Kevin M on January 25, 2007 at 1:10 AM

You have to consider the source when evaluating their questioning.

Wolf is a puke.

csdeven on January 24, 2007 at 11:19 PM

I was wondering the same thing. Why the sympathy. I think he was rattled. Looking at Cheney, he should have been. God, I love Dick Cheney.

Glynn on January 25, 2007 at 1:17 AM

Obviously most of what the groupthink mainstream media journalists are absorbing in their journalism schools is how to be an asshole.

They pride themselves on “responsible fair questions” that are really just smarmy personal attacks from bottom feeding slime that are completely lacking a humility gene.

Cheney should have just got up and walked out.

JeffB. on January 25, 2007 at 2:33 AM

yea, but…

the question was based on a public statement from focus on the family. shouldn’t cheney be more appropriately pissed at them?

jummy on January 25, 2007 at 3:32 AM

Blitzer got the response he deserved.

It was one of the most effective putdowns on TV that I have ever seen.

georgej on January 25, 2007 at 4:01 AM

If journalists took no for an answer they wouldn’t be very good journalists.

JaHerer22 on January 24, 2007 at 7:43 PM

That’s fine if the journalist can get the question answered, but here, Wolf would have been better served taking the hint instead of allowing Cheney to make him look like a fool. The rest of the interview, Wolf was backpeddling and in defensive mode.

Personally, I don’t think the question in and of itself was out of line, but I don’t think it was in good taste either. Pushing it further, realizing he wasn’t going to get an answer probably was out of line though.

Esthier on January 25, 2007 at 9:07 AM

Blitzer squirmed like I have never seen him squirm. He back tracked so quick with the “we just want to congratulate you cr*p”. No and the silence, that stops them dead.

right2bright on January 25, 2007 at 9:07 AM

jummy on January 25, 2007 at 1:05 AM

Why? Why does the Vice President need to respond to a group like that? And really, do we want out leaders to respond personally to ever criticism they receive?

Personally, I like what he did. He acknowledged his disagreement with the group while supporting his daughter and refraining from getting in an ugly dispute that would likely alienate members of his own party.

I realize that many people on the Right (and probably even people in here) are sick of the Christian Right, but without it, we never would have gotten Reagan.

Esthier on January 25, 2007 at 9:14 AM

So wait a second Wolf, let’s end on a soft note? You are admitting you tried to attack Cheney with that question?

What a dick. I like how Cheney slowly turned his head and stared at that slimy shit and didn’t say a word.

Should have injected a round of buckshot into his effete ass.

benrand on January 25, 2007 at 9:20 AM

Cheney likely does not disagree with Focus on the Family.

But his FAMILY is more IMPORTANT than petty ideologies.

He has a daughter who is a lesbian. So– his daughter is doing something that he disagrees with on one level; but she is his daughter, and whatever disagreement they have is a private matter.

Clearly, Wolf was setting him up to either be unsupportive publicly of one of the women in his life, or to disagree with a solid conservative position.

Cheney saw through the gambit immediately and shotgunned it.

RiverCocytus on January 25, 2007 at 9:47 AM

What’s with this rash of green ties? Seems like everyone is wearing them. Not a good color with most suits.

I am waiting for Cheney to throw a f*** you Webb’s way. Now we got us a fight!!!

honora on January 25, 2007 at 10:03 AM

The Vice President has more class in his pinky than Wolf has in his whole body. And that is what I want from MY Vice President.

Thank you, sir.

Subsunk

Subsunk on January 25, 2007 at 10:09 AM

Esthier,

I am part of the Christian Right, and morality is important to us. When you secularists on the Right and Left finally silence us, then I suppose your sought-after Lennonesque golden age will commence.

But until that time, the Christian Right will comment on issues of morality whether the perpetrators are Right or Left. It doesn’t, or shouldn’t, matter. If Cheney is on the hot seat for it, so be it.

That being said, Cheney handled the situation well.

archon2001 on January 25, 2007 at 11:06 AM

your sought-after Lennonesque golden age will commence.

John Lennon a capitalist pig? Who knew…..

honora on January 25, 2007 at 11:17 AM

Since Wolf thinks it’s OK to ask someone about a comment from some third party about a family member, I’ve got a suggestion for one of his upcoming interviews….

Ask Hillary Clinton why her husband felt the need to send Sandy Berger into the National Archives to destroy federal property.

pistolero on January 25, 2007 at 11:40 AM

Cheney likely does not disagree with Focus on the Family.

RiverCocytus on January 25, 2007 at 9:47 AM

no, he does, and before the mass. state supreme court decision and all the controversy, he was publicly very clear about his view.

When you secularists on the Right and Left finally silence us

archon2001 on January 25, 2007 at 11:06 AM

come on dude. nobody said fof shouldn’t have said what they said. i’m saying that cheney should be open about his disagreement with them. at the very least, cheney shouldn’t be testy with blitzer for something fof said.

jummy on January 25, 2007 at 12:34 PM

Honora,
You were so obscure in your comment, I didn’t get the connection. Explain further.

Jummy,
I was responding to Esthier comment about being sick of the Christian Right. I assumed, I hope rightly, that Esthier is tired of the Christian Right commenting on social morality and dividing us within the Right-wing. Let’s face it, Jum, secularists, both Left and Right, want Christians to shut up.

archon2001 on January 25, 2007 at 1:22 PM

No, archon2001, we’re not asking them to “shut up”, it’s Christian Right’s demands that “it’s our way or the highway” that “right-wing secularists” are sick of.

Spiny Norman on January 25, 2007 at 2:10 PM

Yeah, because everyone else says “its our way, or your way, it doesn’t really matter to us” – right?

Why is only wrong for Christians to hold fast to their beliefs or their morals? And don’t give me any of that, atheist aren’t condemning you to hell B.S., because you simply cannot be offended at being “condemned” to reside in a place you don’t believe exists.

Fatal on January 25, 2007 at 2:45 PM

Wolf Blitzer: “Just because it’s possible to conceive a child outside of the relationship of a married mother and father, doesn’t mean it’s best for the child.”
Do you want to respond to that?

Rosie: “F$ck you Wolf!! Where do you come off questioning the capabilities of a gay couple as parents. We can be good parents! I can’t believe you! Just wait, all of my blogger friends are gonna vilify you for critisizing gay families! You’re DEAD MEAT!”

BacaDog on January 25, 2007 at 2:51 PM

Ian, I’m glad you and I agree that “no” means no :) .

IndependentConserv on January 25, 2007 at 4:35 PM

Wait to you all see the clip of Rosie and Joy on the View (I’m sure Allah will put it on here soon?) Rosie phrases her question in such a way that any type of disagreement with her makes the respondent look like an ignorant bigot…I’m watching the View (as much as I can stomach that is) so I can make a list of their sponsors…don’t want to waste my time cutting their coupons from the Sunday paper and I don’t want to buy their products…

I believe that Cheney doesn’t answer these questions because he knows that the very people who are trying to shove gay rights down the rest of our throats are the same people who are trying to embarrass him somehow by using his daughter’s gayness to try to get him to either hurt her publicly by saying he agrees with FOTF or hurting Bush and the Republicans by saying he disagrees… either way it’s POLITICAL not caring. If one of my kids grows up and tells me they honestly and sincerely believe they are gay, I will not disown my child. Their life partner will be welcomed in my house and be treated as a spouse. But, if they ask me what I believe, I will tell them the truth; I believe what the Bible states…and leave it between them and God…

CCRWM on January 25, 2007 at 5:42 PM

sycophantic blitzer looked like a beaten dog under the stare of darth cheney… what a suckass…

Asmodeus on January 25, 2007 at 9:47 PM

Do you want to respond to that?

…try asking a Demoncrat this question Woof:

“Just because it’s possible to have an abortion outside of the relationship of a married mother and father, doesn’t mean it’s best for the child.”

…Do you want to respond to that Woof?

The Angel Michael on January 26, 2007 at 10:55 AM

Would Volf ever consider asking Hillary! how Bill’s fucking around on her affected Chelsea’s upbringing…

I doubt that that would ever happen.

Media bias at it’s most glaring.

I love how these Blitzer types, Gergory and the li,e, always couch their opinions with “some think that” or “many are of the opinion”.

PUSSIES.