The great gallery of snoozing senators

posted at 8:59 am on January 24, 2007 by Ian

Oh, John. And during a section about terrorism, too.

Tucker Carlson noticed it too:

Imagine that you’re John McCain. You’re running for president for the second time, and this time you’re widely considered the frontrunner for the Republican nomination. Knowing that, you’ve got to expect that whomever is directing the television coverage of tonight’s speech is going to point the camera your way. You’re going to be on primetime TV, no doubt. With that in mind, you’re going to want to stay awake. If you’re McCain, who will be over 70 by 2008, you’ll want to make doubly sure to demonstrate your alertness and vigor. You definitely won’t want to slump in your seat, out cold, when Bush starts talking about Iraq. And yet that’s exactly what McCain did tonight, napping on camera for ten agonizing seconds. Lack of self-control? An expression of contempt? Embarrassing in any case.

Fox showed about five seconds of Joe Biden, in which he opened his eyes for a brief moment but then went back to his previous state:

biden-sleep.jpg

Barack Obama and his pal Ted Kennedy appeared to be catching some zzzz’s, too:

obama-too.jpg

I don’t recognize him offhand, but the fellow sitting next to Kerry appears to be asleep:

kerry-sleeper.jpg

And here’s a whole group:

sleepers.jpg

Was the president’s speech that dull? Or did Pelosi’s hypnotic, metronomic blinking lull them into a stupor?

If you have any more pictures or news of any sleepers, let us know.

Comments

absolutely disgusting. I don’t care whether you’re a Dem, Rep, or Ind… paying attention during the SOTU is a matter of respect as much as anything else; you don’t have to agree with the Presidents policies, but damnit show a little respect for the office.

dalewalt on January 24, 2007 at 9:03 AM

Zzzz.

Good Lt on January 24, 2007 at 9:04 AM

I believe the one next to Kerry is Ron Wyden (Dope-Oregon)

firegeezer on January 24, 2007 at 9:05 AM

Or did Pelosi’s hypnotic, metronomic blinking lull them into a stupor?

Heh.

Jaibones on January 24, 2007 at 9:08 AM

Pelosi’s first 100 hours didn’t allocate for any sleep, you rethugliKKKan sheep!

WHY DO YOU HATE PRODUCTIVITY FROM YOUR CONGRESS WHICH RESULTS IN NAPPY TIME DURING THE SOTU?!??

Hoodlumman on January 24, 2007 at 9:19 AM

Alternatively, they could be… erm.. looking down at something

That being said, I’m surely not the only person who occasionally looks downward when they’re actually paying attention to something that someone is saying, am I?

Reaps on January 24, 2007 at 9:20 AM

We’d be better off if they’d sleep all day too.

BacaDog on January 24, 2007 at 9:23 AM

These fools didn’t care what the preident had to say, they only care about their petty little political careers and their next opportunity to secure more power.

rplat on January 24, 2007 at 9:23 AM

I think firegeezer is right — Wyden.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on January 24, 2007 at 9:24 AM

rplat on January 24, 2007 at 9:23 AM

Right On! They don’t care and all they know is they are against it.

Wade on January 24, 2007 at 9:29 AM

Let’s think critically about this. The speech is largely boilerplate. The congress critters know what they are supposed to say in response. The only reason they are there is because they “have to be there” to keep up appearances. These are Senators and Representatives, people so petty that they can’t help but give themselves a pay raise to go along with all the perks of office they already receive. These folks are not conserned with what the President had to say. Neither were most Americans, so say the TV ratings year after year after year. The State of the Union address is a mere ritual, part of the Kabooki theater of the absurd that has become US government as we know it. The disrespect is that so many media members regard this speech as important. Really what important things were said? That Bush is gonna keep up the fight? Knew that. That there will be capitulation with the Dems? November told us that. I’ll believe what has been said when I see it implemented. Actions speak louder than words.

Ennuipundit on January 24, 2007 at 9:31 AM

I was hoping he was reading something, you know, something on the floor or on his shoes.

BillLalor on January 24, 2007 at 9:33 AM

Give the older fellas a break, it was probably past their bedtime. Doesn’t Bush usually go to bed around 9? Maybe Pelosi was blinking to try and stay awake. Or giving the Democrats some kind of signs so they’d know when to stand, clap, and… sleep.

Seixon on January 24, 2007 at 9:35 AM

Narcolepsy and You. We need to address this national epidemic before it wipes out our entire society due to not paying attention to the subject matter. I propose a Democratic party study group to put together a commitee to pick facilitators to who will elect a group of scientists who are experts in the field. The first meeting is tommorow at 6am.

Egfrow on January 24, 2007 at 9:36 AM

I discovered Pelosi’s Blinking Code. It’s just standard Morse Code. It says “D-A-F-U-R” and “S-T-A-R-K-I-S-T-T-U-N-A-R-U-L-E-S”

What ever that means?

Egfrow on January 24, 2007 at 9:38 AM

Actually, I was hoping you had captured the shot of Hillary when healthcare came up…it look as if she were sitting on something that is battery operated….

Pam on January 24, 2007 at 9:41 AM

HEHEHEHE!!!

Joe Biden!!

How symbolic is it that Barrack is caught sleeping next to his ideological spirit guide Kennedy. Hah!! I’m in tears this early in the morning? Thank you Ian.

Theworldisnotenough on January 24, 2007 at 9:48 AM

I wonder who Barack Obama was flipping the bird at?

mattma on January 24, 2007 at 9:49 AM

Would have thought the immigration remarks would engender some reaction. Just wait.

honora on January 24, 2007 at 9:54 AM

The Democrat response, as told by Pelosi…

Blinkblinkblinkblinkblinkblinkblinkblink…..

blinkblinkblink…blinkblink….blinkblink…

Enoxo on January 24, 2007 at 9:56 AM

Must be those tough five day work weeks. Or, the thought of them anyway since they haven’t started yet and won’t start anytime soon.

n2sooners on January 24, 2007 at 10:00 AM

I was watching cheney the whole time and it looked like he was having an attack of some sort. he slunched over, reached under his desk, then very quickly popped a pill. I wish I remember what time it was.

Did anybody catch that?

Vincenzo on January 24, 2007 at 10:00 AM

Speaking of Pelosi… she still has yet to correct the exemption of American Semoa from the minimum wage increase. And it doesn’t look like she plans on doing it, regardless of what she said.

Enoxo on January 24, 2007 at 10:00 AM

Did anybody catch that?

I didn’t notice that, but I did notice that Pelosi kept wrinkling up her nose, and then I saw Cheney kept leaning in the opposite direction… I thought he was gassing her out.

Enoxo on January 24, 2007 at 10:02 AM

Enoxo on January 24, 2007 at 10:02 AM

That or he was mulling over Scooter going ugly on Karl Rove….

honora on January 24, 2007 at 10:13 AM

McCain is praying to the Mexican Allah with his ass pointing North…

retired on January 24, 2007 at 10:17 AM

I sympathize with these guy, to a point. When we have guest speakers come to give talks, even talks I’m interested in, I find it incredibly difficult to stay awake. Personally, I blame my children and erratic sleep patterns.

As for these folks? I think I know the reason. Too many late night UBRS runs.

Nethicus on January 24, 2007 at 10:20 AM

Possible pass for Barak Hussein Obama and Teddy “Let’s ask Osama…er, Obama” Kennedy: Barak looks like he’s pulling the old gradeschool trick of giving somebody the finger surreptitiously, and Kennedy appears to be sniffing his fingers (hmmm, and with Hillary sitting just behind him).

JeffH on January 24, 2007 at 10:28 AM

I wonder who Barack Obama was flipping the bird at?

mattma on January 24, 2007 at 9:49 AM

Peyton Manning and the Colts (if I had to hazard a guess).

CyberCipher on January 24, 2007 at 10:29 AM

They all get hard copies of the speech and read along as the Pres speaks.

I don’t know why they read along, but they always do and always have. Just an observation from a former Congressional intern / political junkie.

It’s the same sheeplike principle that takes over if you hand out your power point notes before a presentation; your audience will bury their nose in them and will hardly ever look at your slide deck.

Predictable, but makes for fun late night comedy.

Alden Pyle on January 24, 2007 at 10:38 AM

Snoozy Uncle John McCain ain’t doing himself any favors as to his electability–he looks too much the old fart in the Lazy Boy to be an active wartime President.
As for the Dhimmicrats, well–we know about them.
Sleeping prevents them from having to make a decision about applauding and standing up for any Bush proposals…
Yeah…how bout those “100 hours” of rock ‘em, sock ‘em legislation from Nancy and the Dem Tones? Wow.
As for Webb’s “rebuttal,” I’m delighted he left the GOP and took his creepy toupee with him!

Jen the Neocon on January 24, 2007 at 10:40 AM

Kennedy, I think was snoozing, the rest seemed to be reading the speech along with the president. They look for any deviation from the prepared remarks to see if there is a great policy change or some such nonsense.
I did see Cheney pop a few somethings. My wife and I both noticed that both of them were thowing down some raisinets or goobers throughout the whole thing.

DrM2B on January 24, 2007 at 10:40 AM

We’d be better off if they’d sleep all day too.

BacaDog

Ain’t that the truth…

If only someone thought to put some bells on Pelosi’s eye lashes it might have helped keep everyone awake.

JetBoy on January 24, 2007 at 10:54 AM

Yawn…Morning all!
So, when was this speech?

j/k…. I missed it due to civic duties, but have quickly started catching up.

CBarker on January 24, 2007 at 10:57 AM

I fell asleep about 10 minutes into it myself. Hillary did appear sleepy in the above still. Maybe they were clapping to keep the remaining ones awake??

kiakjones on January 24, 2007 at 10:58 AM

I wonder who Barack Obama was flipping the bird at?

America.

Mazztek on January 24, 2007 at 10:59 AM

They need media consultants; someone to tell them they are always on camera, the mics are always on.

Alternate-kook-truther theory: Karl Rove’s mind control beams were lulling the moderates to sleep (to implant their Gollum W. Bush marching orders) while the hardcore mental giant Dems (like John Kerry, who was for mind control beams, before he was against them) and, natrually, the Rethuglicans were unaffected.

It is standard equipment for any Skull and Bones members (which includes Bill Clinton and John Kerry, but they members in name only, because they are super smart and tricked the Illuminati into accepting them as members).

Neo on January 24, 2007 at 11:09 AM

I can’t blame McCain too much. Bush talked amnesty early, so McCain was clear to sleep.

Also, there was a shot of Kennedy near the start and he looked trashed. He wasn’t sleeping, he was passed out.

PirateParrot on January 24, 2007 at 11:13 AM

I believe the one next to Kerry is Ron Wyden (Dope-Oregon)

And the hits just keep on coming. That’s our D-Sen, our R-Sen, and one of our D-Reps making idiots of themselves in the space of about a month.

Be sure you’ve seen the videos, though. Stills can catch a person in an instantaneous attitude that may resemble something it’s not.

Anwyn on January 24, 2007 at 11:21 AM

Between watching this facade of politics or helping my son learn division vis-a-vis his homework, I chose my son’s homework.

I know, I know, tough decision and one that will probably impact the 2008 elections and the outcome of diplomatic talks everywhere. But it’s one I’m going to have to live with.

armyvet on January 24, 2007 at 11:37 AM

My wife noticed Pelosi’s rapid blinking. I am sure there must be a psychological explanation for that. Perhaps Bill will do a body language segment on her?

Her body language was quite interesting. She would snap to her feet very quickly on obvious dem issues, but was as slow as a snail when it came to issues of troop support etc. I don’t mind the stand o’s etc, but i expect a “leader” and a person two heartbeats away from the presidency to have a bit more self control. This is another reason why I am not a fan of the idea of a female president JUST because she is female. It’s like this fawning over Pelosi as the speaker….no one really watches HOW she is handling herslf. She is giddy and her feelings are very evident in her expressions etc and she would be an open book to an adversary of this country. THAT is a bad thing.

csdeven on January 24, 2007 at 11:46 AM

csdeven- I would guess that it is the only facial function she has left. That botox takes its’ toll.

Pam on January 24, 2007 at 11:57 AM

csdeven,I quite agree. Some commenters have indicated that her blinking meant she was “lying” or hiding something, that it’s a sign of dishonesty, but I thought that the blinking and chewing of her inner cheek made her look very nervous and completely *not* in control and as you said, for someone who’s 3rd in line to the presidency and the newly crowned queen of D.C., this is decidely not good (but I secretly loved it and rejoiced!)

Jen the Neocon on January 24, 2007 at 12:14 PM

I’ll confess that my initial thought was that Kerry was sitting next to Wellstone, but that would have been impossible since we “killed” him.

As an experiment, the right should start a rumor that the Dems plan to have a committee investigate Wellstone’s “plane crash,” just to have the left deny it and then be forced by the moonbats to open an inquiry.

rw on January 24, 2007 at 12:15 PM

Bad plastic surgery on your eyes (blepharasty I think it is called) causes you to blink because your tearducts have been damaged. That and the fact she wears fake eyelashes cause her to blink constantly. The glue and the weight of the eyelashes if not applied correctly irritates the eyes.

I think napping during the STOU is a disgrace! This is their JOB..this is WHY they are sent to Washington!

labwrs on January 24, 2007 at 12:17 PM

Good golly YES the speech was that dull. Even I was asleep at about the same point…

ShowMeStateOfMind on January 24, 2007 at 12:25 PM

Maybe I better qualify this as a joke and save some broken keyboards by those who misread this:

Perhaps they think it looks Reaganesque, given the jokes about him dozing off. Who won the audition?

Bradky on January 24, 2007 at 12:56 PM

I personally think Ted and John were just sleeping off a three day drunk. And I’m not kidding about Teddy. John, who knows?

Timber Wolf on January 24, 2007 at 1:19 PM

Like my ol’ man at church, Preacher stands up, eyelids go down.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 24, 2007 at 2:41 PM

Does the Joker know Pelosi has stolen his smile? Why do I get this uneasy feeling whenever I see her 1000 watt grin and those blank pinwheel eyes? They look like shark eyes, flat, lifeless, doll eyes, until the jaws clamp down … then they roll back until you can only see the whites … the high pitched screaming begins.

bcre8v on January 24, 2007 at 3:10 PM

THEY ARE ALL TOO DAMN OLD!!!! It’s all of the medication.

Agrippa2k on January 24, 2007 at 4:02 PM

I thought they were all ‘texting’,, it’s the rage, I hear.

normsrevenge on January 24, 2007 at 4:33 PM

bcre8v on January 24, 2007 at 3:10 PM

That post deserves this.

CrimsonFisted on January 24, 2007 at 5:17 PM

They have all been working for us, the people, way to hard. This proves that they need more time off and more money to relax. These poor souls, why what’s her name (Mosley Braun (sp), I think) that hates Bush, got there 11 hours before the speech to get an aisle seat so she could shake his hand and get air time. Eleven hours, the poor thing must be exhausted. Kennedy has spent years working hard, the poor fat bastard needs to rest.

right2bright on January 24, 2007 at 5:21 PM

bcre8v, the Jaws reference is certainly in order when both Shrillary and Nanny Pelosi are in the house.

High pitched screams indeed. How many good men did we lose that first 100 hours?

Freelancer on January 24, 2007 at 5:26 PM

You snooze, you lose.

right2bright on January 24, 2007 at 6:20 PM

He wasn’t sleeping, he was soooooo checking his Blackberry. :)

- The Cat

MirCat on January 24, 2007 at 6:48 PM

I watched part of that speech and felt like falling asleep myself. Is there anything more boring than a typical SOTU speech these days?

Benaiah on January 24, 2007 at 6:55 PM

i got it… i’ve discovered why pelosi was blinking so much… she was sending morse code to AQ and the message said, “have no fear, we are here to help…”

Asmodeus on January 24, 2007 at 7:14 PM

Pshop some painted eyeballs on them, at least that way, we’ll all think they’re at least somewhat clever.

TheSev on January 24, 2007 at 7:54 PM

The one’s shown are asleep on immigration, so this isn’t surprising.

SouthernGent on January 24, 2007 at 8:09 PM

Great! No more culture of corruption, its time for accountability. I’m for docking their paychecks. Deduct one hour. Just do the math.

sonnyspats1 on January 24, 2007 at 8:41 PM

As for these folks? I think I know the reason. Too many late night UBRS runs.

Please tell me I’m not the only one who got this.

mhexel on January 24, 2007 at 9:52 PM

Please tell me I’m not the only one who got this.

mhexel

Sadly, no you aren’t but I quit that bad habit over a year ago. I’m in a better game’s beta now.

Benaiah on January 25, 2007 at 1:27 AM

Bradky on January 24, 2007 at 12:56 PM

Worse, which one believes that looking that Reaganesque will get them the White House in ’08?

Sadly, even asleep, Reagan could (and did) outdo those shown.

Emmett J. on January 25, 2007 at 1:38 AM

I wonder who Barack Obama was flipping the bird at?

mattma on January 24, 2007 at 9:49 AM

The bird behind him…

Time to revert to simply submitting the state-of-the-union in writing to Congress. They fall asleep during every one of them. If they put them to sleep with the cameras on them, then they’re too boring, regardless who speaks or who’s sitting there.

No excuse though, for any of these illustrious “representatitves”.

Entelechy on January 25, 2007 at 2:12 AM

Pelosi is not signaling; that is alien robot Pelosi %$&, the first of a new line taking over our leadership(sic).

Nevermind, the whole affair resembled an X-files episode. I think I got a Nanu nanu .. eep opp ork..getting sleeplllszzzzzz…

hillbillyjim on January 25, 2007 at 3:52 AM

Pam

Hehe I noticed her when that came up. Her facial expression was priceless..pursed lips and disgusted look..I think she was kinda pissed because she was tasked to do universal health care during her hubby’s presidency and she failed miserably and there was Bush talking about it making it sound better than she could.

Highrise on January 25, 2007 at 6:58 AM