Finally: Beer for dogs debuts

posted at 3:57 pm on January 24, 2007 by Allahpundit

Can they really be “man’s best friend” if you can’t share a brew with them? Problem solved, amigos.

Look at his eyes.

dog-beer.jpg

Relax. It’s non-alcoholic.

“Once a year we go to Austria to hunt with our dogs, and at the end of the day we sit on the verandah and drink a beer. So we thought, my dog also has earned it,” she said.

Berenden consigned a local brewery to make and bottle the nonalcoholic beer, branded as Kwispelbier. It was introduced to the market last week and advertised it as “a beer for your best friend.”

It costs four times as much as Heineken. But the timing couldn’t be better.

Comments

What’s with the crystal bowl? He needs to get a pair and drink it right outta the bottle. Oh….I guess he was an SPCA adoption…that ‘plains it. PETA will be all over this in 4,3,2,…1

Limerick on January 24, 2007 at 4:06 PM

Finally. A good REASON for dogs to have bad breath.

CyberCipher on January 24, 2007 at 4:07 PM

Now you gone and done it, AllahPundit. My collie wants to know why I’ve been withholding this information from him. He’ll be impossible to live with for WEEKS now.

CyberCipher on January 24, 2007 at 4:09 PM

I had a dog that would drink beer out of the bottle at family picnics. He would go around to any bottle with in reach and help himself. Besides an occasional burb, he would end up going to sleep a little early on those occasions. For all you do, this Bud’s for you.

voiceofreason on January 24, 2007 at 4:12 PM

It’s non-alcoholic.

Beer should be a reward, not punishment.

infidel4life on January 24, 2007 at 4:24 PM

I go to Mendocino,CA with my dog and daughter , we were walking in town one day looking for food, stopped at a place ,and realized that the dog was welcome but not my 9 year old.

bbz123 on January 24, 2007 at 4:25 PM

My dog insisted on champagne, every New Year’s Eve. Besides as any country music fan knows beer is for my horses.

Retread on January 24, 2007 at 4:26 PM

Great. Like dog farts needed any extra enhancement.

natesnake on January 24, 2007 at 4:26 PM

And as we all know, beer turns dogs into foxes. Hello, I am a time-traveler from 1977.

Jim Treacher on January 24, 2007 at 4:28 PM

*rim shot*

natesnake on January 24, 2007 at 4:36 PM

Non-alcoholic beer (for dogs or humans) is like caffeine-free Mountain Dew. What’s the f—ing point? You don’t see anybody selling non-alcoholic whiskey.

ReubenJCogburn on January 24, 2007 at 4:37 PM

I better send this to my sister and her fiance. His dog LOVES beer.

steveegg on January 24, 2007 at 4:42 PM

Wow. A beer just for Rosie.

GT on January 24, 2007 at 4:55 PM

So this is Man’s Best Bud?

James on January 24, 2007 at 5:16 PM

This is, like, doubly haram.

see-dubya on January 24, 2007 at 5:18 PM

My dog doesn’t seem to care whether it is Old Milwaukee or Guinness. At 4X the cost, I think he will stick with the Old Milwaukee.

brtex on January 24, 2007 at 5:19 PM

Sure it is…

Shown here is Paris Hilton’s dog Tinkerbell just before his notorious ‘kidnapping’ was exposed as a relapse. Reliable sources say he is checking into Betty Ford this week.

DANEgerus on January 24, 2007 at 5:29 PM

I drink you, I drink you, I drink you.

And the beer is gone.

shaken on January 24, 2007 at 5:38 PM

My favorite dog-care book is one I found in a used bookstore, originally published in the 1930s, by a Dr. Kinney, with illustrations by James Thurber: “How to Raise a Dog in the City.” It’s filled with bracing common-sense advice and a variety of home remedies for various ailments that often include things like potassium permanganate, bismuth formic-iodide powder and boric acid. But probably his most common prescription, for everything from distemper to electric shock, is “a little whiskey in water.”

That said, my dog wisely retreats from whiskey at all times. She does like a little beer occasionally, but “non-alcoholic”? That’s just dumb.

RWB on January 24, 2007 at 5:43 PM

here’s my favorite Beer Dog comercial

AZPatriot on January 24, 2007 at 5:59 PM

This will probably be in more stores than Gluten Free beer. I’m pissed.

Editor on January 24, 2007 at 7:47 PM

It’ll put hair on your crested.

Mazztek on January 24, 2007 at 11:14 PM

Bars? In France dogs of any type/size legally accompany their owners to restaurants. No one cares. Mostly they just sit under the tables.

Entelechy on January 25, 2007 at 2:53 AM

Not sure I want to go to a bar where people are bringing their 112 pound rottweiler. Labs, collies, golden retrievers, fine; leave the rottweilers and pit bulls at home.

RW Wacko on January 25, 2007 at 8:52 AM

I’m trying to think of a clever “hair of the dog” remark. I got nothin….

honora on January 25, 2007 at 10:22 AM

“Honestly Honey, it was Bowser who kept me out till 2 a.m., honest. Its all his fault.”

johnnyU on January 25, 2007 at 2:45 PM