Breaking: Waffles won’t run in ’08; Update: Teary Kerry video link added

posted at 1:15 pm on January 24, 2007 by Allahpundit

Turns out he botched more than just that joke, or at least, that’s the excuse he’s using. The fact that he’s a charisma black hole with a tin political ear who didn’t stand a remote chance against Hillary, Obama, and Edwards might have also factored into it.

The big question now: which of them will he taint with an endorsement?

Kerry, a Massachusetts Democrat, plans to say he will remain in the Senate to recommit himself to efforts to extricate the United States from the war in Iraq. His decision to stay out of the presidential race reflects a realization that he would have had an uphill climb in capturing the Democratic nomination, given the other party heavyweights who are already in the race, according to the officials, who spoke to the Globe on condition of anonymity…

Kerry, the party’s 2004 presidential nominee, has been acting like a 2008 candidate virtually since he lost to President Bush — traveling the country, spreading money to other Democratic candidates, and keeping in place a campaign infrastructure that was ready for another presidential bid.

But according to Kerry associates, the senator’s plans changed dramatically in the fallout of his election-eve “botched joke” about the education levels of US troops. The harsh reaction to that incident — from many Democrats as well as Republicans — displayed to Kerry the extreme skepticism within his own party about whether he should mount another run.

stuff.jpg

Update: Here’s Kerry’s statement. He went out doing what he does best: encouraging withdrawal and defeat.

Update: Tinti’s got the video of him choking up on the Senate floor. It’s at the very end.

Comments

first!

al gore.

jummy on January 24, 2007 at 1:18 PM

mark my words, al gore.

jummy on January 24, 2007 at 1:19 PM

third! okay i’ll stop.

jummy on January 24, 2007 at 1:19 PM

I actually ran for president before I didn’t run.

aunursa on January 24, 2007 at 1:20 PM

You woke me up for this?

thirteen28 on January 24, 2007 at 1:21 PM

Considering it’s John Kerry, I’m guessing he’ll eventually taint them all as he changes his mind about which candidate to endorse.

Candy Slice on January 24, 2007 at 1:22 PM

Oh too bad . . . yaaaawn

rplat on January 24, 2007 at 1:22 PM

1) That’s Yahoo NEWS

2) how in the heck did the entire post become a link??!!??

Ghost in the machine.

Mazztek on January 24, 2007 at 1:27 PM

Amazing. He has the barest, most tenuous grasp on reality after all.

RWB on January 24, 2007 at 1:28 PM

‘Finishing second in the Olympics gets you silver. Finishing second in politics gets you oblivion.’

-Richard Nixon

Limerick on January 24, 2007 at 1:30 PM

Ah, I bet he runs after all. Here is the future quote, it just needs a date applied:

“You know, I decided not to run before I chose to run for President.”

His legacy was sealed as soon as he uttered his comment about being “stuck in Iraq.” Even Donks are smart enough to realize he was radioactive from that point forward. They have enough back-benchers to take his place. They don’t need him.

Mallard T. Drake on January 24, 2007 at 1:39 PM

“Breaking: Waffles won’t run in ‘08”

He sure RAN out of the SOTU address last night.

Hot Date?

Terrezzza tell him to get his posterior home ASAP and bring her some of her magic rasins?

Meeting with Hugo or Mahmoud to negotiate the surrender of the USA?

LegendHasIt on January 24, 2007 at 1:51 PM

Crap, and there were a bunch of us old Vets who were ready to give him a working over on his days as a hero.

Maybe that is why Pelosi was blinking so much last night. She was sending a coded message to Kerry not to run.

The Dems can make big enough idiots out of themselves without Kerry.

BobK on January 24, 2007 at 1:51 PM

He so stupid. Me so sad. No mo funnies.

IreneFingIrene on January 24, 2007 at 2:05 PM

At least Kerry will have more free time for his hobbies, like windsurfing and playing Senator…

rw on January 24, 2007 at 2:11 PM

The fact that Kerry was one state away from being President is a frighting commentary on our political system. The fact that he got out of the race shows more good sense than I thought he had.

duff65 on January 24, 2007 at 2:12 PM

…alas, there will be no halp for Jon Carry.

Kid from Brooklyn on January 24, 2007 at 2:14 PM

Now if we could just get him and The Swimmer out of the senate, that’d be something.

Iblis on January 24, 2007 at 2:23 PM

Who was it botched up Kerry’s joke–BOOSH.
Mister take the magic hat to Cambodia–BOOSH.

see-dubya on January 24, 2007 at 2:27 PM

NOOOOOO! NO NO NO NO!!! I wanted to swift boat him again!

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 24, 2007 at 2:39 PM

I have the feeling that he was told not to run.

I smell Hillary’s perfume here.

georgej on January 24, 2007 at 2:47 PM

Considering it’s john Kerry… I wouldn’t rule out him endorses several, then deciding to run himself after all.

High Desert Wanderer on January 24, 2007 at 2:54 PM

I have a feeling Kerry will still waffle over this decision a little more.

Rick on January 24, 2007 at 2:54 PM

Maybe Rosie should throw her bonnet oops sorry me bad hat into the ring! She certainly has a lot to say!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on January 24, 2007 at 2:55 PM

wHAt a pity boo freakin hoo

Defector01 on January 24, 2007 at 3:11 PM

Me so sad. No mo funnies.

IreneFingIrene on January 24, 2007 at 2:05 PM

I know that you’ll miss the waffles and flip/flop jokes, but cheer up! There are PUH-LENTY of other Democratic targets to shoot at (like shootin’ fish in a barrel). The HillBillary – Oh-Bummer rivalry is gonna’ be good for an endless stream of yucks all by itself. I can’t wait for O’Donnell and Behar to tell me who to vote for!

CyberCipher on January 24, 2007 at 3:11 PM

Why would he want to run for Pres anyway. Hiccup Kennedy has proven that the people of Mass do not care about what you do, say or how spaced out one is as long as you are a card carrying liberal. Kerry like Hiccup has a job for life.

iam7545 on January 24, 2007 at 3:14 PM

Roll that beautiful John Kerry weeping footage!

Kid from Brooklyn on January 24, 2007 at 3:27 PM

I think we should all congratulate Mr. Kerry for having the good sense to know he is a loser, as a Presidential candidate, a naval officer, and a senator. Only in Mass could they keep electing a person like John Kerry who has accomplished about nothing during his years in office.

Say what you will about Kennedy and I do not agree with him on anything but he has put fourth legislation during his tenure. About the most Kerry has done is legislation for a building name change.

robo on January 24, 2007 at 3:30 PM

The big question now: which of them will he taint with an endorsement?

Edwards. Just to get even.

BacaDog on January 24, 2007 at 3:43 PM

The big question now: which of them will he taint with an endorsement?

Okay, did anyone else get a totally different image when I associated the word taint with John Kerry?

Darksean on January 24, 2007 at 3:59 PM

Hey – did you know John Kerry served in Vietnam!?!

CP on January 24, 2007 at 4:28 PM

This just sucks.

I had to do a re-hash of my favorite Kerry moments.

mesablue on January 24, 2007 at 4:28 PM

Jon Carry mentioned something about Vietnam.
Does anyone know if he served?
He would have been about the right age…
Funny he doesn’t talk about it.
But then real heros don’t.

shermacman on January 24, 2007 at 4:31 PM

You know, education, if you make the most of it, if you study hard and you do your homework, and you make an effort to be smart, uh, you, you can do well. If you don’t, you end up crying like a beeyotch on the Senate floor, wondering what could have been.

Kid from Brooklyn on January 24, 2007 at 4:32 PM

Has there ever been a dorkier presidential candidate?

Ever?

thirteen28 on January 24, 2007 at 4:36 PM

Has there ever been a dorkier presidential candidate?

Yes. Yes there has.

Slublog on January 24, 2007 at 4:38 PM

This section of the CNN story about Kerry’s bow-out struck me:

“You have to think hard about whether you hurt yourself” by running again, the [Democratic operative who worked for Kerry in the ’04 presidential race] said.

Shouldn’t running for POTUS be about considering what will help or hurt the nation and not one’s self?

Just askin’.

12thman on January 24, 2007 at 4:56 PM

Yes. Yes there has.

Great reputation that state has. What was Romney thinking? We would have welcomed him back in Michigan.

mesablue on January 24, 2007 at 4:59 PM

OK Senator Kerry, just what exactly is the REAL war on terror? Oh that’s right! The war on Bush.

CrimsonFisted on January 24, 2007 at 5:01 PM

John Kerry really knows how to hurt the Republicans. Another doomed presidenital campaign by this charmless dullard was perhaps the GOP’s last best hope for winning in 2008.

Now, that hope is gone.

And why? Because Kerry is … a closet Scandi.

Ali-Bubba on January 24, 2007 at 5:23 PM

I’m sure Madame Heinz has some marinated raisins waiting for him. *hick*

SouthernGent on January 24, 2007 at 6:06 PM

Guess I can quit blogging now. Not! Seriously, I started blogging because I just couldn’t stomach the idea of a man who’d called me a baby killer sitting in the Oval Office, but when the bug bit it bit hard and it’s still a target-rich environment. Life just ain’t fair, is it Johnny? Bwu-ha-ha-ha-ha!

bdfaith on January 24, 2007 at 6:52 PM

Okay, I saw it on Lehrer, too, but it was much shorter. Now that I have seen this one, and read how Tinti explained that, “According to The Globe, Kerry’s doing it in a speech on the Senate floor and then emailing out the video to his supporters.” and I’m feel more comfortable saying this,

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Did John Kerry really pose on an empty Senate floor, going through the motions of reading from a written script and speaking to an audience of … what, Senators?

No wonder he looked wistful last night at the SOTU! I can’t believe it … can’t stop laughing. Soooooo, typical. And damn if he didn’t put the signature “I served in Vietnam” reference in.

It was a good move, though, to ask for time when nobody was there. It would have been embarrassing to get a standing ovation for announcing that he wouldn’t run.

Dusty on January 24, 2007 at 8:42 PM

But I’ve concluded this isn’t the time for me to mount a presidential campaign another donkey.

His tears nearly brought me to some of mine…

This egg was overcooked long before that “joke”. The joke just transformed it into chromium.

He will be missed in the lineup of the so-many dwarfs and one pristine snow-white.

Entelechy on January 24, 2007 at 10:25 PM

As Rush put it, “He saw the lipstick on the mirror and decided not to run.” Adieu.

Mojave Mark on January 25, 2007 at 12:46 AM