State of the Union: The biggest non-event of the year; Update: Jennifer Loven hit piece spotted! Update: Video: Jim Webb responds; Update: World’s worst anti-Bush song lyrics added!

posted at 8:38 pm on January 23, 2007 by Allahpundit

I’ve never understood the fuss, particularly given that it’s Bush. By my count, he’s delivered exactly four memorable speeches in the past six years and only one of them is still remembered fondly: the address to Congress after 9/11, the “axis of evil” SOTU, the “Mission Accomplished” speech, and the second inaugural address. We’re looking at an hour of energy-policy wonkery, global-warming alarmism, and shopworn bromides about how crucial victory in Iraq is. What’s left to say? If it’s worth watching at all, it’s only to see at which key phrases Hillary ostentatiously rolls her eyes.

Captain Ed and Mary K are liveblogging it. You all may consider this an open thread. In the unlikely event that anything video-worthy happens, we’d of course appreciate it if you tipped us to it. In the meantime, read Barnett’s amusing Q&A, in which he attempts to convince himself — unsuccessfully — that this will be at all redeeming or useful. Or read this, which isn’t so much good news as delightful news. Or, if you’re in the mood for class warfare, read the transcript of Jim Webb’s rebuttal at Drudge. In two words: lose faster.

Here’s a left-wing comedy preview of the address, which is as tired in its own way as Bush is in his. The segment at the end with “Hillary” and “Obama” is almost amusing, though.

Update: It hasn’t started yet but Ace has already finished liveblogging it.

“He seemed uncomfortable and repeated many of the same tired slogans of the past. He proposed a raft of new spending initiatives designed primarily to win over the support of those who hate him more — much more — than Osama bin Ladin. He also basically said that Mexicans were good, nice people who deserved jobs more than Amercians.”

Update (Ian): joe-clapping.jpg

Reaction (Bryan): This speech was a snooze. The SOTU, with its laundry lists of government programs and we’re-here-to-help bromides, has become the most liberal moment of the year. I’m glad it’s over and my wallet is still in my possession. For now, anyway.

Still, it’s revealing that the Democrats stand up when the President mentions Darfur–where there are no US troops and won’t be any US troops–but sit on their hands when he mentions Iraq–where there are US troops and where there will be US troops fighting hard for a while to come. What possesses a group of people to take Sudan more seriously than Iraq as a crisis? What possesses a group of people to rank the importance of international crises in an inverse relationship to those crises’ effect on US national security? I already skewered one Democrat over this phenomenon last month, so I’ll just apply that post to the entire Democrat party minus Joe Lieberman. What a bunch of unserious buffoons.

I won’t stick around for Webb’s response, though, again it’s telling who the Democrats picked to deliver it. Webb has a son in Iraq, but he’s a Sheehan on the war, and is most recently famous for being rude to the President. What a guy!

Update: Barnett, having not learned his lesson about pessimism from the election, says he’s pleasantly surprised and will have something gushy first thing in the a.m.

Update: Mary K sees an inbound attack from left-wing shill/“reporter” Jennifer Loven — and intercepts it!

Update (Ian): 84% say Bush was excellent:

bush-poll-fox.jpg

Update (Ian): In the Democratic response Sen. Jim Webb (VA) threatens to show President Bush “the way”:

Update: Here’s what passes for an op-ed in the New York Times these days. The bard? Randy Newman.

I’d like to say a few words
In defense of our country
Whose people aren’t bad nor are they mean
Now the leaders we have
While they’re the worst that we’ve had
Are hardly the worst this poor world has seen…

A president once said,
“The only thing we have to fear is fear itself”
Now it seems like we’re supposed to be afraid
It’s patriotic in fact and color coded
And what are we supposed to be afraid of?
Why, of being afraid
That’s what terror means, doesn’t it?
That’s what it used to mean

The end of an empire is messy at best
And this empire is ending
Like all the rest
Like the Spanish Armada adrift on the sea
We’re adrift in the land of the brave
And the home of the free
Goodbye. Goodbye. Goodbye.

Comments

When the Bell of freedom begins to toll once more, folks like Jim Webb will feel the knot of freedom being snugged tightly around their necks. Traitors every last one.

Viper1 on January 24, 2007 at 6:17 AM

If only their WAS such true justice in this world.

TugboatPhil on January 24, 2007 at 9:57 AM

Executing a sitting U.S. Senator, Vietnam veteran, and former Secretary of the Navy because he opposes the continuation of a failing war that 65%+ of the country does not support.

True justice indeed.

JaHerer22 on January 24, 2007 at 10:08 AM

JaHerer, Gee, I wonder what you would have said about Benedict Arnold, who was certainly more qualified than Webb on both the good and bad fronts?

I don’t buy the polls of “65% don’t support the war.” I just don’t.
President Bush wouldn’t have been re-elected if that were the case.
And most of the Dhims, including Webb, did not run on an anti-war platform.
In fact, Webb supported the war.
Nor did Lieberman lose to what’s-his-face, the anti-war candidate.
Webb is going to have some spaining to do to his constituents, I’m sure.
He’s not fit to lick George Allen’s shoes!
I hope and pray that Americans really don’t get the government they deserve because I can’t think what we did so bad to deserve this confederacy of dunces that is “Dem majority rule” in Washington right now.

Jen the Neocon on January 24, 2007 at 11:06 AM

And Randy Newman has always written sucky songs…
I always thought we were doomed as a nation and certainly culturally bankrupt when they were nominated for Academy Awards.

Jen the Neocon on January 24, 2007 at 11:07 AM

I guess Randy’s Spanish Armada shot made the Tmes’ anglophile audience feel good.

mymanpotsandpans on January 24, 2007 at 11:45 AM

Didn’t watch it, haven’t read it, and I bet I haven’t missed anything that hasn’t been repeated over and over before.

I’m guessing that Ace’s pre-emptive post-mortem was probably not far off the mark, if off at all.

thirteen28 on January 24, 2007 at 12:13 PM

Lying disgusting backstabbing traitor!

He’s now officially the worst President ever, based on the amount of damage he’s done to this country.
Yes, I put him below Jimmy Carter.

Gregor on January 24, 2007 at 12:19 PM

Gregor, I won’t stand for that kind of talk–President Bush is and will be one of our finest Presidents and he’s done quite a lot of good for and “to” this country!
I wouldn’t put him close to Carter or even Clinton and I heard Tony Snow tell Mike Gallagher that those border agents blew the arrest of that illegal and that’s why they’re facing prison!
If President Bush chooses to pardon them, that’s his privilege, but until then, this is a Texas judicial matter that has to work its way through the courts and the system.
And I rely on other sources for my truths other than World Net Daily, thank you.

Jen the Neocon on January 24, 2007 at 12:27 PM

Gregor, I won’t stand for that kind of talk

Jen the Neocon on January 24, 2007 at 12:27 PM

You won’t stand for it? LOL! Should I look out my window for the black vans?

Jen the Neocon on January 24, 2007 at 12:27 PM

That’s easy to just spit that line out. Would you like to give us a list of all the fine conservative acts this President has accomplished while in office for six years? Give us a rundown of all the wonderful things he’s done.

Gregor on January 24, 2007 at 12:31 PM

Gregor–you know and you shouldn’t need me to tell you.
Just because President Bush won’t fix your little pet project of the moment, you think he’s the worst.
I lived through Carter and I endured Clinton, too and believe me, President Bush is a dream and rivals even Ronaldus Magnus in his accomplishments and he still has 2 years left!
As for fearing my black helicopters, well, there are ways to punish you Bush haters, but mainly your punishment is that you have to live with yourself.

Jen the Neocon on January 24, 2007 at 12:39 PM

Gregor–you know and you shouldn’t need me to tell you.

Jen the Neocon on January 24, 2007 at 12:39 PM

Copout. I didn’t say that I need you to tell me. I asked you to list his conservative accomplishments because THERE AREN’T ANY.

You write that he’s one of the greatest Presidents ever, yet you can’t list any of his accomplishments?

As bad as Carter was, even a liberal would be able to list what they feel are accomplishments.

I also lived through Carter. Carter was simply a dumba$$. Bush knows exactly what he’s doing and he’s purposely selling out this country for his own personal gain.

To me, that is far worse.

You are one of only 28% who blindly follow this man regardless of his actions. Even most conservatives understand the damage he’s doing.

Gregor on January 24, 2007 at 12:49 PM

Is anyone else missing Ronald Regan as much as I am right now? I am also going to go watch some Anime…(sigh)

opiemuyo on January 24, 2007 at 1:01 PM

Bush didn’t need to do this for personal gain–he was already rich and quite happy running the Texas Rangers.
He took a pay cut and acquired grey hair, wrinkles and lots of hassles taking on all the proper responsibilities of the Oval Office and then a wartime Commander-in-Chief.
He prayed about running for office first and had a group of local ministers to pray over him and asked if God was calling him to the White House.

Why don’t you consult your precious World Net Daily for Bush’s Conservative accomplishments–they are considerable.
Or has WND completely turned on Bush, too?
America has many issues, problems and citizens and your 2 border agents are just one little incident among many.
Apparently, their local DA and the jury thought they truly broke the laws of our land.
You can’t crack down on illegals before you get it straight with your own people first. Border enforcement must be done by the laws on the books and if those don’t work, then Congress and/or the state legislators need to change them.
Blame the lawmakers, not President Bush.

Jen the Neocon on January 24, 2007 at 1:01 PM

Jen the Neocon on January 24, 2007 at 1:01 PM

Two posts and still not one accomplishment listed. Telling.

If you believe the two border patrol agents are the only screw ups this President has made, you’re not paying attention.

He’s completely botched the Iraq war.
He botched the Supreme Court nomination attempting to force Harriet Miers.
He screwed us with the appointment of Mel Martinez.
And he’s ignored 85% of the population on immigration issues.
And he single handedly lost the GOP majority in both houses.

Where is his fight against abortion?
Where is his stand against anti-Christian bias?
Where is his financial responsibility?
Where is his stance on ANYTHING conservative.

Still waiting on that list of accomplishments.

Gregor on January 24, 2007 at 1:17 PM

Gregor, he did pass the partial birth abortion bill, he’s proposed the Defense of Marriage Act, he’s endorsed faith-based charities, he’s stood behind keeping “under God” in the pledge, instead of Miers, we got Allito and Roberts, he’s halved the deficit and increased revenue to the Treasury significantly with tax cuts, the Iraq war is one of the cheapest in our history, he’s tackling immigration (something previous Presidents either encouraged or ignored), he didn’t lose the GOP majority–the GOP majority lost their majority, he hasn’t “botched” the war–we won control of Iraq and Afghanistan in 3 weeks each and have stayed there with only 3,000 lives lost and there hasn’t been another attack on the homeland since 9/11, Bush completely realigned the govenment with Homeland Security, the FBI, the NSA, the FTA, etc after the 9/11 attacks to deal with a global and domestic enemy, he assembled a coalition of the willing in a global war in which 55 countries are Islamic, he’s setting up SDI, he handled not only Hurricane Katrina, but the tsunami in Asia and the earthquake in Pakistan, he exposed the UN for the global fraud that it is, etc. etc, etc.
I’m tired, Gregor, but I made a good start.
President Bush is one of our greatest Presidents and will go down in history as such.

Jen the Neocon on January 24, 2007 at 1:30 PM

Again, Gregor, President Bush as president can only propose legislation as he did last night, then it’s up to Congress to enact those laws…or if they’re bad laws, it will be up to President Bush to veto them (as he did with Embryonic Stem Cell research).
The reason the GOP lost their majority is because they didn’t act on President Bush’s proposals, including immigration.
If last night’s speech sounded “boiler plate,” it’s because President Bush is asking Congress for the second or third time to move on immigration, energy problems, medical liablilty limitations, Social Security.
I hate to say it, but many of our own Republican Congresspersons and Senators lost their seats because they didn’t do anything with the majority when they had it..and the Dems ran to the Right (or in the “middle”) to get those seats, including Webb.
He ran on a pro-war platform.
Blame the lawmakers, not President Bush!

Jen the Neocon on January 24, 2007 at 1:36 PM

I think I caught a glimpse of bloomers up Pelosi’s skirt.

Alden Pyle on January 24, 2007 at 1:40 PM

Bush is a far better President that Carter or Clinton. He should be praised for his stance against terrorism and his actions as commander in chief when dealing with Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, etc.

He is sadly misaligned on the flow of illegal aliens to our border.His failure to secure our borders is serious indeed. The President leads by example and here he has did little other than make empty gestures. Of course John McCain is worse. If we need an inflow of legal immigrants, which we may, they should come through the immigration process, which would require among other things, they assimilate, learn English, value Freedom and Liberty. They are not looking for handouts, free medical care, free hospitalization, free education on the back of taxpaying Americans.

MarkB on January 24, 2007 at 2:18 PM

Gregor, he did pass the partial birth abortion bill, he’s proposed the Defense of Marriage Act, he’s endorsed faith-based charities, he’s stood behind keeping “under God” in the pledge, instead of Miers, we got Allito and Roberts, he’s halved the deficit and increased revenue to the Treasury significantly with tax cuts, the Iraq war is one of the cheapest in our history, he’s tackling immigration (something previous Presidents either encouraged or ignored), he didn’t lose the GOP majority–the GOP majority lost their majority, he hasn’t “botched” the war–we won control of Iraq and Afghanistan in 3 weeks each and have stayed there with only 3,000 lives lost and there hasn’t been another attack on the homeland since 9/11, Bush completely realigned the government with Homeland Security, the FBI, the NSA, the FTA, etc after the 9/11 attacks to deal with a global and domestic enemy, he assembled a coalition of the willing in a global war in which 55 countries are Islamic, he’s setting up SDI, he handled not only Hurricane Katrina, but the tsunami in Asia and the earthquake in Pakistan, he exposed the UN for the global fraud that it is, etc. etc, etc.

I’m tired, Gregor, but I made a good start.

Jen the Neocon on January 24, 2007 at 1:30 PM

I’m sorry Jen, but almost everything you listed is bogus.

Let me start from the beginning:

The Partial Birth Abortion Act

This act is still held up in court, and at the moment sits awaiting a Supreme Court decision after being thrown out by both the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals and 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Manhattan.

It will be interesting to see how the new Supreme Court rules on this. So far, they have failed to render any decisions which indicate that Bush’s new appointments will move the court to the right.

Even so, a partial birth abortion ban is not exactly what conservatives had in mind when they elected Bush to office, along with a GOP majority in both houses. I think it’s fair to say that they anticipated much more.

How is it that with Bush in office, and six years holding majorities in both houses, that this government was not able to push through parental notification laws? How is it that a teacher can drive a 12 year old girl off campus, take her to an abortion clinic where she undergoes surgery, take her back to class where she completes her day and the parents are never even aware their daughter left the school?

He’s endorsed faith-based charities

So what? What does that mean exactly? What has his “endorsement” actually accomplished? Last I checked, the country was far worse off in this area now than when Bush took office. How well are the Boy Scouts doing? You might be familiar with the recent events in San Francisco? Where exactly is this new conservative Supreme Court on this issue? It’s happening all over the country, as you can see here, and here.

“He’s stood behind keeping “under God” in the pledge”

Huh? What exactly does this mean? “Stood behind?”

Unfortunately, words are meaningless. So far every court has ruled against “under God” in the pledge. So is Bush doing ANYTHING?! What has he actually DONE?

“Instead of Miers, we got Allito and Roberts”

And what decisions have they made thus far to indicate that they have moved this court to the right? I can’t come up with a single decision which has caused outrage by the extreme left. Can you?

“He’s halved the deficit and increased revenue to the Treasury significantly with tax cuts”

This one baffles me. Halved the deficit? Are we talking about the same person? Where are you getting your information? You might want to dig a little deeper.

“He’s tackling immigration”

Now I know we’re living on different planets. He’s tackling immigration alright. Unfortunately, his idea of handling immigration is completely opposite of what 85% of the American people want. Do you even bother to read the founder of this blog? Her name is Michelle Malkin and she even helped me in answering you this morning.

“He didn’t lose the GOP majority–the GOP majority lost their majority”

Is that why GOP Congressmen are running away from him in droves? Is that why polls show Bush’s approval ratings at 28%? It’s all someone else’s fault?

“He hasn’t “botched” the war”–we won control of Iraq and Afghanistan in 3 weeks each.”

We did? Must be a different Iraq. Last I checked … even Bush admits we don’t have control in Iraq. And it’s been YEARS, not weeks.

“There hasn’t been another attack on the homeland since 9/11”

That’s simply not true and I really hope you know that. There’s been many attacks within the U.S. They’ve just been labeled as “mentally disturbed individuals acting alone” … even though they all happen to be young male Muslims who have voiced displeasure with our involvement in Iraq.

It’s also important to note that every U.S. President prior to Bush bragged that there had never been a terrorist attack on our homeland BEFORE 9/11. Do you believe that?
Do you believe that means they did a great job?

What makes it worse is that when fanatical Islamic Jihadists use their car to run down Jews in the streets of San Francisco – instead of making an example of the piece of pig excrement – this President stands by while the facts are buried from the public. Sorta the same thing he’s doing with the Border Patrol agents.

“He handled not only Hurricane Katrina, but the tsunami in Asia and the earthquake in Pakistan”

Your examples are getting worse as you go. He “handled Hurricane Katrina?” Seriously? Are you the only person on the planet who thinks Bush’s response to Hurricane Katrina was a GOOD thing?

Are you related to George Bush? I’m beginning to think you might be one of his daughters playing puppet master on the blogs.

You finished with your absolute worst example:

“He exposed the UN for the global fraud that it is”

You somehow think BUSH did that? Did you just find that out in the last few years? How did BUSH do this? What did BUSH do to expose this scandal that everyone already knew about? Did BUSH expose the oil for food scandal? I wasn’t aware that BUSH did that. And since the exposure of all of this information … what exactly has BUSH done about it? Last I checked … the UN is operating as business as usual.

I knew it would be hard to come up with a list of accomplishments, but I really thought you might do better than this. I think it might be worse than even I thought.

I DO appreciate your desire for a conservative agenda, but blindly following Bush and believing he’s a conservative is not going to help us obtain our goals.

Gregor on January 24, 2007 at 2:42 PM

Which proposals on immigration are you referring to? His amnesty proposal? Or are you actually going to suggest that his “comprehensive immigration reform” is NOT amnesty?

The GOP didn’t approve this agenda because IT’S AMNESTY! Many happen to believe that Bush actually WANTED to lose the majority to the Democrats, because he knew he would then be able to pass his open borders policies under a Democratic majority.

Gregor on January 24, 2007 at 2:47 PM

(Gregor, you’re not from here, are you?)
Our President doesn’t accomplish things by fiat like a dictator, no matter what you might think–he can only propose legislation.
The only comprehensive immigration reform the Congress produced was the Border Fence Bill…and they didn’t give it any money, hence no teeth.
Neither the GOP nor the Dems took a stand on immigration reform at all because they were afraid if they did, they wouldn’t get re-elected.
Bush has said 8 jillion times that it’s not amnesty!
And Bush is forbidden by posse comitatus from putting armed troops on our land unless it’s at the request of that state’s governor and most of our border states governors are Democrats (Is Arnold officially a Dem yet?) who either won’t deploy the troops or insist on the most severe and strict ROE with illegal crossers.
Further, Vincente Fox threatened to sue the U.S. for enforcing our borders.
And LULAC is standing by to file individual lawsuits for enforcement.
As Zell Miller said, “I could go own and own and own.”
The American people are going to have to summon the political will to enforce the borders and immigration laws and then demand that our legislative branch as well as the executive (that would be Bush) do something about it.
We have made a start.

Jen the Neocon on January 24, 2007 at 3:00 PM

Reason #1 why I didn’t want to even start a list of Bush’s accomplishments:
Because I knew you’d argue every single one of them as you did above.
I have neither the energy nor the inclination to continue this discussion (which consists of a harangue from your side) any further.
George W. Bush will go down as one of the greatest Presidents in our history.
Trust me. I’m a learned historian of these things who takes the long view.

Jen the Neocon on January 24, 2007 at 3:03 PM

Jen, I’ll just say one more thing. In response to your suggestion that I should stop getting my news off of WorldNetDaily …

I spend hours each day reading news from about 100 sources, including both conservative AND liberal medias in order to feel comfortable that I’m not being blinded with slanted information.

I’m not exactly sure what you were implying with your suggestion, but if you have information that suggests the articles I linked to were inaccurate based on the facts, I’d be open to read it.

At the same time, I would suggest that you might try to get your news from sources other than the White House website or Bush’s press releases.

Gregor on January 24, 2007 at 3:05 PM

Reason #1 why I didn’t want to even start a list of Bush’s accomplishments:

Because I knew you’d argue every single one of them as you did above.

Trust me. I’m a learned historian of these things

Jen the Neocon on January 24, 2007 at 3:03 PM

What was I supposed to do? Just ignore the fact that everything you wrote was false?

As for being a learned historian … I’m wondering how a learned historian posted an entire list of false information.

Simply saying Bush is a great President over and over is not going to rewrite history. That only works for liberals.

Gregor on January 24, 2007 at 3:09 PM

This isn’t my blog.
I’m not on trial here to prove Bush’s superior presidency nor am I the resident expert, but I know what I know.
My list wasn’t meant to be either exhaustive, footnoted or comprehensive.
And neither of us are really on the topic of this thread, if you care (which you obviously don’t)
And I’ll put my net news surfing over yours any day–I had one of the first Right Wing war blogs for 3 years, which you can still find by clicking on my name.
Scr*w you, even if you are a fellow Conservative–you are too rude and inconsiderate to be a real Conservative.

Jen the Neocon on January 24, 2007 at 3:18 PM

Jen the Neocon on January 24, 2007 at 3:18 PM

ROFL! Yes, sometimes I do come across as rude because I get agitated when responding to posts containing false information. I believe it damages our country by causing citizens to go through life uninformed. I feel that those who post information on public forums and claim to be speaking with knowledge on a subject, should be able to back up their claims easily with links to factual references, rather than just saying “I know what I know and that makes it so.”

I don’t mean to be rude, but my passion gets out of hand at times.

As for me not being a real conservative, I’ll just chalk that statement up to frustration on your part. I don’t think you’ll find a single thing in any of my posts or blogs that would suggest that I’m not a conservative.

It’s interesting that you feel comfortable saying that about me, but you defend Bush as the world’s greatest conservative based on pretty much nothing. If I’m not conservative, then that would make Bush a far-left liberal, lol.

Let’s just drop it. I hate arguing with other conservatives. It just doesn’t feel right and I’m sorry you feel I was inconsiderate to you. I know you have fought hard for good issues and we just happen to disagree on Bush’s intentions.

Gregor on January 24, 2007 at 3:33 PM

Go for three hundred, people!

Alex K on January 24, 2007 at 3:49 PM

Now girls, no need to fight. You’re both very pretty.

*wink*

natesnake on January 24, 2007 at 3:57 PM

Jen the Neocon on January 24, 2007 at 3:18 PM

I’m with you Jen. You consistently take on the liberals who cruise through here and throw bombs. You are precise and expect others to research on what you say. We all have to give each other a little slack for writing comments we have only a little space to do it.
I am not sure Bush is the greatest, but he will be great for taking on the tough decisions, that so many conservatives are now second guessing.
I like sitting at the computer and second guess, it doesn’t cost me anything.
Perhaps this by T. Roosevelt says it best:

“It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat.”

“Citizenship in a Republic,”
Speech at the Sorbonne, Paris, April 23, 1910

right2bright on January 24, 2007 at 5:07 PM

could that wash-worn, leftist harpy known as nancy pelosi increase her blink rate any further…? what the hell is the matter with her, was she trying to make sure that her eyelids still had feelings from her latest botox injection… nancy ‘blink’ pelosi is her new nickname…

Asmodeus on January 24, 2007 at 7:12 PM

Love TR, right2bright, and thanks. I try–I didn’t get any sleep last night because I was too upset by the Left’s uproar over the SOTU speech and I’ve been very tired and cranky today. My patience ran out and this runner, meaning me, stumbled.

Gregor, you were courteous and civil, after all–thank you, too.
It seems we’re both on the same team but going about it different ways…
I hope all of you will try to cut President Bush some slack and pray for God to guide him each and every day as he leads this nation.
As Thomas Paine said during the Revolutionary War, “These are the times that try men’s souls.” and that goes double for the times we’re living in now.
I will pray for all of us, both in America at large and here at HA, and for more patience and forbearance for others when they don’t see things my way and I’m too exhausted to provide a detailed syllabus when asked…
Gregor, I would challenge you to keep surfing Conservative blogs and newssites (and Liberal sites, too, if you can stand it just to see what they’re saying)–I think I spend 75% of my time since 9/11 just reading, analyzing and mulling over the whole situation.
I still maintain that President Bush is one of our finest leaders in these very troubled times and if we are to believe some Christians, possibly the End Times.
It feels like the prelude to Armageddon to me, but then I’m a Right Wing knuckle-dragging Christian hick (with 2 Masters degrees).

Jen the Neocon on January 24, 2007 at 8:44 PM

I don’t agree with Gregor’s criticism of Jen the Neocon’s good defense of George Bush.

Let’s take one example: abortion. President Bush did push through the federal ban on partial birth abortion, which Planned Parenthood then went on a litigation war to defeat. Because of a 2000 U.S. Supreme Court decision striking down Nebraska’s partiual birth abortion ban, three federal district courts held the federal ban unconstiututional. That is now before the U.S. Supreme Court that because of Chief Justice Roberts’s leadership and the substitution of Sam Alito for Sandra Day O’Connor should uphold the federal ban. This fight was unavoidable. President Bush started the fight; he cannot be faulted for the course it has taken.

Nor can President Bush be faulted for not having Congress enact such laws as parental notification laws. Those laws have been traditionally been state laws. Abortion was once a matter of state regulation. The federal partial birth abortion ban has been an exception because it was the only way to get around the 2000 U.S. Supreme Court’s Nebraska case.

Phil Byler on January 24, 2007 at 11:06 PM

Anyone know Morse Code?

freebird on January 23, 2007 at 9:46 PM

Yes, she was transmitting blinking “Hillary, you bwitch, I’m third in line for the front spot, and you’re sitting behind Barack, demanding to get closer. I might not be the brightest but tonight, at least, I show some grace toward our President and country. You, on the other hand look and act debovine”.

Agree fully with Bryan’s reaction and those who said that the losers don’t stand (up) for victory. Shame. Shame. Shame. The decline of the “empire” and the loss of their country is more important than a victory for us all, especially under a conservative president. Shame, indeed.

Kerry and Kennedy looked and acted constipated. That Kerry smirk was nauseating. Hillary really looked/acted like a disturbed cage animal. No manners to boot! “County to Hell – it’s all me.me.me”. Wished badly for honora’s assessment of the way she was dressed (but didn’t even have access to HA :(

I thought Nancy was gracious and made the best of the situation. Must have been nerve-wrecking. She was in any event superior to her entire clan. Disgraceful compatriots!

Warner looked like he was locked up in a morgue, woke up, and didn’t know where he was. There s/b common sense when these prima donnas, of both sides, should go away.

The exercise of jumping up and down could be eliminated. It’s straining for both sides. We could tell by their clapping, faces, bodies and other reactions, just the same.

The speech was long, boring and uninspiring, with some necessary parts. Should go back to submitting it to Congreass in writing and leave us alone. It’s all for the cameras and everyone’s voyeurism. Painful to go through, no matter who is president. I watch all of them (the announcers said that the libs watched yesterday in higher numbers strictly because of Pelosi) and Clinton used to bore me silly too, with all his acclaimed “charm”. They’re just all a litany of promises, some of which to be materialized, to screw or rob us. Makes no difference who’s there.

Did not watch Webb, though watched all rebuttals in years past.

Entelechy on January 25, 2007 at 1:52 AM

Correction “Country to Hell – it’s all me.me.me” – country, not county…

and, Mr. Lieberman is not part of the ‘clan’.

Entelechy on January 25, 2007 at 1:58 AM

Wow. I must have overlooked something here. I thought I read every comment on the thread, but I can’t remember reading one joke line about Jim Webb’s soft porn “flip him upside-down” literary masterpieces.

I’m just sayin’.

hillbillyjim on January 25, 2007 at 3:06 AM

Asmodeus on January 24, 2007 at 7:12 PM

Ok, gloves off. Let’s see if you take it as well as you dish it out. Shall we engage in a conversation about our gaped toothed, poor man’s dominantrix, Condi? Or how about some comments on our piano-legged, wide-load first lady? (With a butt like that, re-think the pastels honey).

God I feel dirty…..

honora on January 25, 2007 at 10:17 AM

honora, you made all of us females feel dirty with that last post. For you and all of us, consider retracting. I know you can be way above that.

With a candidate like Hillary, no body, style of clothing or esthetics commentary can win.

I thought N. Pelosi was very gracious during the SotU.

Entelechy on January 25, 2007 at 1:02 PM