Video: SNL on Islamophobia, redux

posted at 5:00 pm on January 21, 2007 by Allahpundit

I’m glad to see this has become a running joke. Thanks to RightWinged for the tip.

Comments

Ah, thanks for posting AP… I’m sure a lot of folks here missed it.

RightWinged on January 21, 2007 at 5:06 PM

Bill had one of the CAIR tools on Friday night who acted like this season of “24″ was the first to accurately portray Islamic terrorists as… Islamic terrorists. We heard the same thing last year and they even had Sutherland do his little PSA on each show. The CAIR guy also did not accurately portray what took place on the show. There was no mention that the guy who was trying to get those who practice Islam into prisons was being portrayed as a bad guy on the show. Nor did he mention that the show’s representation of his group are being portrayed as good guys.

zerodamage on January 21, 2007 at 5:10 PM

Amy looks a little uncomfortable having to put that over.

Enrique on January 21, 2007 at 5:12 PM

Nor did he mention,zerodmamge,that they will stomp up and downs and whine until they get their way dammit! “Or else” is implied in every statement from CAIR.

bbz123 on January 21, 2007 at 5:14 PM

Is SNL turning anti-idiotarian? Nah…can’t be.

flipflop on January 21, 2007 at 5:21 PM

You know the told saying… Their like a broken clock; right twice a day.

x95b10 on January 21, 2007 at 5:25 PM

haha! nice..

emmaline1138 on January 21, 2007 at 5:26 PM

I’m glad to see this has become a running joke.

Yes, it could become a joke when people stop thinking its reality, and just that, a joke.

lorien1973 on January 21, 2007 at 5:37 PM

Yeah, I saw this last night…first thing I noticed was the uneasy laugh it got…

I must say I was suprised this bit was even used…I don’t know…Weekend Update has never been that great ever since Dan Akroyd and Jane Curtain passed the torches…

I miss Point-Counter Point…”Jane, you ignorant slut”

JetBoy on January 21, 2007 at 5:44 PM

If you can’t name the enemy, how can you ruthlessly ridicule them?

Iblis on January 21, 2007 at 5:48 PM

I don’t watch SNL or much of any tv anymore because it’s so blatantly liberal and…well, morally bankrupt. God help our youth (rule with my kids is: if they wouldn’t be comfortable with me sitting there watching a particular show with them…they can’t watch it) To the point though, thanks for bringing this clip here, only way I see this stuff…

CCRWM on January 21, 2007 at 5:56 PM

Sometimes even SNL has to acknowledge reality, if they think it’s funny.

Anyone else remember the Bush-Dukakis election show, with the map of the whole world with Masachusetts and France polling Democrat and everyone else Republican? “Big surprise, Leichtenstein’s going Republican this year…”

They made fun of everyone, but the Dems got it good and hard that episode.

Merovign on January 21, 2007 at 5:58 PM

bout time!

Highrise on January 21, 2007 at 6:30 PM

By the way, for anyone who didn’t see SNL, Weekend Update was filled with a large dose of anti-Bush BS…. this one recycled joke is the exception, not the rule.

RightWinged on January 21, 2007 at 6:58 PM

Weekend Update has never been that great ever since Dan Akroyd and Jane Curtain

Norm MacDonald riffed on Jackson / OJ Simpson a lot and his Bob Dole gags were very funny.

13times on January 21, 2007 at 6:59 PM

Yeah, don’t forget the best in my opinion, Dennis Miller. Norm would be my second choice…….

ritethinker on January 21, 2007 at 7:30 PM

I agree about Norm… that dude is hilarious. Anyone else have Dirty Work on DVD? Such an unknown, and therefore underrated movie… but it’s awesome.

RightWinged on January 21, 2007 at 7:53 PM

Worst W.U. host – Kevin Nealon. The subliminal bit was good, but his reading was atrocious. Funny guy – just a poor update host. SNL poses for me a dilemma. It could be such a good and funny show if it wanted to be. It is so blatantly left wing it forgets to be funny, and gets worse each year. That – and the fact it has become a commercial for gayness. I can take a joke and laugh at a Bush bit as long as it’s funny! The impersonator on Jay Leno is often good. SNL comes off as mean, unfunny, and agenda driven.

Buck Turgidson on January 21, 2007 at 8:05 PM

The most hilarious part of Norm’s delivery would come if the joke got a stifled laugh or not much of one at all. He’d pause and say, “You know Michael Jackson is a pedophile?” or “You know O.J. is a double murderer?”

I’d just about go into convulsions laughing. Mainly because all other media would do anything to keep from saying it.

TugboatPhil on January 21, 2007 at 8:08 PM

Dennis Miller was THE best SNL anchor, IMHO. He was funny then, and even funnier on his own now, especially since he saw the light, as it were.

As for the clip in question, I liked it. ‘Nuff said. ;-)

itzWicks on January 21, 2007 at 10:08 PM

Here’s the CAIR jacka** on Bill O’Reilly earlier this week right here.

MsUnderestimated on January 21, 2007 at 11:05 PM

To CAIR:

I don’t care.

Thank you.

Now please go away.

Shukra (Thank you)

Love,

William

P.S. “Lan astaslem.”

I will not submit. I will not surrender.

William2006 on January 21, 2007 at 11:19 PM

I always had a soft spot for Colin Quinn, because he had no business being behind that desk and he knew it.

Jim Treacher on January 21, 2007 at 11:31 PM

Did Hillary let her hair down?

Entelechy on January 21, 2007 at 11:40 PM

I can tell you for a FACT that ever since a certain large, rigidly politically correct cast member was fired off the show that SNL is finally able to make fun of any sacred cows whose stand in pastures left of center.

(cough, *RAJ* cough)

that’s all I’m saying. Infer what you will.

And by odd, coincidence, SNL is getting funny again.

And yes, Raj is a nickname. Do the math.

wordwarp on January 22, 2007 at 12:56 AM

Esthier on January 22, 2007 at 8:28 AM

lorien1973 on January 21, 2007 at 5:37 PM

Ridicule persuades some of those who won’t listen to arguments, and ridicule is a way of conveying a thought into the imagination of someone who is otherwise closed to it. When you “blaspheme” by openly ridiculing at an opinion at which one is forbidden to laugh, or by making people laugh along with you as you say scandalous things, and when everyone sees that you and they are unharmed, they begin to lose their fear to think as you do. A holy God would forbid me to present most of the best examples, but it seems safe to mention one that I recall as being in St. Augustine’s The City of God. There, St. Augustine ridicules the opinion of the heretical sect to which he had formerly belonged, that their holy men and rituals divinized the food the sect’s members shared during worship. I’m certain his ridicule reached a wider audience than an express argument would have. Comparing great things to small, it’s somewhat the same with Saturday Night Live.

Kralizec on January 22, 2007 at 11:35 AM

I’m aware that my phrase “ridiculing at an opinion” in my previous comment should have been written as “ridiculing an opinion.” I wish it were possible to edit one’s previously posted comments.

Kralizec on January 22, 2007 at 11:42 AM

lol, Cox & Forkum weighs in

RightWinged on January 22, 2007 at 12:17 PM

Buck Turgidson said

SNL comes off as mean, unfunny, and agenda driven.

because they are. They lean as far left as Maureen Dowd, and only fire a joke at liberals under two conditions:

1. Avoiding it would be obvioudly stupid and cowardly. Dan Aykroyd’s portrayals of the Carter presidency didn’t go over well with most of the cast, but not doing jokes about a joke of a president would have cost them credibility.

2. It’s cheap, guaranteed for a laugh, and doesn’t damage the larger agenda. This terrorism as source of islamophobia line is just that.

I’m with JetBoy. Aykroyd, Ratner, Curtain, Morris; those folks had talent and were funny. Today’s NRFPPs are weak wannabes.

Freelancer on January 22, 2007 at 3:42 PM

Esthier: “He makes a point too though. CAIR is upset at the protrayal of Muslims as terrorists but not upset at the Muslims who actually are terrorists? Where’s the sense in that?”

It makes perfect sense if Saudi Arabia is paying your salary to quell bad publicity for the terrorist operations it’s conducting.

Tantor on January 22, 2007 at 5:39 PM

It’s purt near impossible to field a conservative comedy show. All comedians work their way up through comedy clubs in the big cities where the audiences are all lefties. If you rag on liberals in front of a liberal audience you are going to make them fume, not laugh. Ya gotta beat up Bush and NASCAR and rednecks and Republicans to get those deep belly laughs from the lefties. That’s how you make the big time.

In short, big city comedy clubs favor the Left and filter out the Right. SNL recruits its team from the big city comedy clubs.

Tantor on January 22, 2007 at 5:44 PM