Colbert stole O’Reilly’s microwave

posted at 11:16 am on January 19, 2007 by Allahpundit

I didn’t cut this last night because I thought he was joking. Nope — he really stole it. Hilarious.

It may have been a greater error allowing Colbert into the Fox News headquarters, located near the “Colbert Report” studios in Manhattan. There, Colbert smuggled a microwave out of the green room, a bounty which he proudly displayed at the conclusion of his show.

A spokesman for Fox News confirmed that Colbert stole the microwave, but said it was all in good fun.

He also told the audience, after O’Reilly had left the set, “He seems like a nice enough guy.” Aw.

Comments

Ah ha. I turned on Fox and Friends this morning and saw Richard and Kyle Petty trying to stuff a microwave into the storage bin on their motorcycle. Now I know why.

Wade on January 19, 2007 at 11:24 AM

I do enjoy Colbert’s humor from what little I have seen of it. Perhaps we should put aside notions of political sparring and enjoy the satire for what it is.

omegaram on January 19, 2007 at 11:25 AM

“cup of gruel”

Guy’s got a good sense of humor. Sometimes I miss cable.

Slublog on January 19, 2007 at 11:29 AM

I’m still trying to figure out exactly how he smuggled it out and no one noticed

Defector01 on January 19, 2007 at 11:36 AM

After seeing guys like Jon Stewart and Colbert, I can’t figure out why journalists bother torturing the language to make Al Franken into some kind of comic genius, when he just plain sucks.

-T

The Therapist on January 19, 2007 at 11:40 AM

Just like Berger….in his socks.

Limerick on January 19, 2007 at 11:41 AM

Personally I think Colbert is funny, way more so than Stewart. Stewart has some good bits now and again but Colbert delivers more of them. The interview Colbert did with Tim Robbins was priceless, and of course the election night bit was hilarious. It’s good to have a comedian out there that takes sgots at everyone, not just conservatives..

ritethinker on January 19, 2007 at 11:51 AM

I guess Fox should be happy that he didn’t steal all of the apostrophes off the keyboards. O’reilley did have a couple of good lines. “So do you think your success has driven Stewart to smoke MORE substance.”

BohicaTwentyTwo on January 19, 2007 at 11:55 AM

I am sure Colbert is convinced that the microwave is actually a secret communication devise right to Dick Cheney.

dallas94 on January 19, 2007 at 12:01 PM

That was funny when he brought it out!

Pam on January 19, 2007 at 12:02 PM

there was this crappy movie from the 79-81 era called midnight madness. it was about a scavenger hunt. discuss.

jummy on January 19, 2007 at 12:23 PM

Yeh, thieving is always a joke for the Left. Rules never apply to them. Bet it’s generating more mean-spirited laughs among his usual audience than ya’d think.

naliaka on January 19, 2007 at 12:45 PM

I think O’R has learned his lesson–after his appearances with Stewart and Letterman where he came off as strident and pedantic, he was relaxed and showed he could be a good sport. You go Bill.

honora on January 19, 2007 at 12:45 PM

honora on January 19, 2007 at 12:45 PM

Good point.

Stewart can be a smarta$$ and you can never be sure where he is going. Letterman openly despises BOR.

I think BOR know Colbert wasn’t going to unexpectedly drop a turd in his lap, so he was more relaxed.

BacaDog on January 19, 2007 at 12:57 PM

geez…knew, not know

BacaDog on January 19, 2007 at 12:58 PM

How come moderates and conservatives all have to be more relaxed, but the Left never lightens up? It’s always one-sided.

naliaka on January 19, 2007 at 1:14 PM

naliaka on January 19, 2007 at 1:14 PM

How come moderates and conservatives whine so much?

honora on January 19, 2007 at 1:32 PM

Childish stunt.

R D on January 19, 2007 at 1:39 PM

On the shelf next to the microwave, is that a picture of the late ‘Buck’ O’Neil?

The Monster on January 19, 2007 at 1:54 PM

(Obligatory whine coming). Honora, why put yourself through this if all you consider conservatives and moderates to be is whiners? I find that statement funny, considering whining is the democrat party platform. But in your world, that last sentence was just a conservative whining. Naliaka actually asks a great question. Honora, please quit whining about conservatives being whiners….or else I’ll have to ask if you want any cheese with that……….

ritethinker on January 19, 2007 at 2:51 PM

Notice all the approving, Bill O’Reilly was soo stiff and harsh. Guess what, it’s better to be a bit stiff and harsh (as in he calls “bums” “bums” instead of “nuanced”) than imperious and smug as ALL the Left media people are. People were attracted to O’Reilly because he blurted out, an honest reaction, real emotion, not the smothering blah blah we’ve been fed for years. He’s not always right, but people sense he’s giving his honest opinion, and they can deal with it pro or con. Hosts like Letterman ooze “ironic” superiority, he projects that people who don’t think as he does are stupid, and therfore objects of ridicule. Notice the modest size of Letterman’s national audience? Why would anyone want to watch a show that routinely mocks what they believe is important? Bill makes nice and the Leftie steals his property and shows his audience so that they can laugh at what a maroon O’Reilly is and how clever their man is. Not falling for this make nice crap. If there was an iota of genuine human warmth on the Leftie side, it could be funny, but that’s not the spirit in which this was done. Just watch and see.

naliaka on January 19, 2007 at 3:31 PM

What else would you expect from these children? Afterall, remember when the “W’s” got swiped from all the computer keyboards in the White House before our President took office?

kevcad on January 19, 2007 at 3:50 PM

You can ruin a microwave by putting metal into it as he did at the end of the clip. I doubt that FNC cares.

Valiant on January 19, 2007 at 4:13 PM

Too Funny! I hope it gets a permament place on the Colbert Report set. Every now and again he should open it up and speak into it saynig, “Karl, they’re not buying it, what should I do now?”

BohicaTwentyTwo on January 19, 2007 at 5:03 PM

Colbert’s schtick gets old real quick. Ever notice that liberals tend to make fun of others, while conservatives (Foxworthy, Larry the cable guy) tend to make fun of themselves?

Scot on January 19, 2007 at 6:12 PM

I don’t think he is funny. I never have. I agree, childish stunt.

Glynn on January 19, 2007 at 7:26 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, lighten up! It was a prank, nothing more. I mean, a MICROWAVE for goodness’ sake! Now, admittedly what would REALLY make it perfect is if O’Reilly, on the next Factor, holds up item X, X being something really silly and pointless that he lifted from Colbert (say, a cuisinart). Childish? Of course! Colbert does COMEDY for a living, for crying out loud! Bill was a great sport about the whole thing, so why ruin it by pursing up our mouths and tut-tutting the whole thing? Just enjoy the joke.

Militant Bibliophile on January 19, 2007 at 10:05 PM

It was a high school prank, which looks pathetic coming from an adult, who is long past those years.
Just sayin’. Just observe how Colbert’s usual audience interprets it, and how he plays it.
Sorry, entertainment is in the eye of the beholder. And if a chunk of the viewers thought “thud,” it ain’t the viewers’ fault. Just don’t have any appreciation for the put-down shtick that passes for humor on the Left. Just explaining why; and on to other things.

naliaka on January 19, 2007 at 10:33 PM

As a conservative, I can tell you that those two guys suck major… straws. They are the least funny people of all. I can tell you that humor that occasionally insults conservatism does not bother me. I can laugh at myself while it is the left that can not.

zerodamage on January 19, 2007 at 11:05 PM

What would be really cool is if the entire staff of the O’Reilly Factor goes over tomorrow to the Colbert Report with their lunches to wait in line for the microwave. They could even videotape it and get the last laugh on ol’ Steve.

Hack Ptui on January 20, 2007 at 1:06 AM