Hot Air TV in Baghdad

posted at 1:03 am on January 17, 2007 by Bryan

Download Vent for your iPod

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

You really did go to Iraq? But will the Left believe this video or think it’s faux?

Welcome back Michelle and Bryan!

Entelechy on January 17, 2007 at 1:07 AM

Stay safe Michelle and Bryan!
Semper Fi!..and keep fighting the good fight. :)

Angel on January 17, 2007 at 1:33 AM

Great job. Small steps… so they say.

Griz on January 17, 2007 at 1:46 AM

Great work Guys. Thank you and thank God for bringing you back safe.

mikeyboss on January 17, 2007 at 1:49 AM

Welcome back home MM and Bryan.

I’m an Air Force veteran. I served in the 80′s during President Reagan’s first term. I was and am still proud of all the brothers and sisters who wear the uniforms of the USA. The job they are doing in Iraq and throughout the world is necessary and a noble cause in defense of all freedom loving peoples.

Yet, sometimes I get a nagging feeling that our troops should be more of a soldier than Red Cross worker. Maybe it would be a better idea, if say the U.N. (if they could ever get their act together) could be the humanitarian force that helps rebuild Iraq, so that would free up our troops to prosecute the war 100 percent, and get them home quicker, IMHO.

kevcad on January 17, 2007 at 1:52 AM

This looks to be a promising series…

mikeomatic on January 17, 2007 at 1:53 AM

Kevcad: no chance. The kind of guys that the UN hires are the kind that prefer laying the locals to helping them.

mikeomatic on January 17, 2007 at 1:55 AM

Outstanding reporting, Michelle and Bryan! I was in Baghdad a year ago, and I still remember the smell from the trash fires.

Michelle, this reporting cannot stay only within the realms of HotAir-it has to go out to other outlets (FoxNews, etc).

I appreciate your courage to show the truth of what we are trying to do in Iraq.

Black Adam on January 17, 2007 at 2:14 AM

Great job! looking forward to what you two have to say. Welcome home!

R D on January 17, 2007 at 2:38 AM

R

est in peace, BP. There’s a No. 72 car waiting for you in the sky. When I used to cover NASCAR, I was near BP’s home track in Rockingham. Benny exemplified the down-home, approachable, good-humored charm that still draws people to NASCAR.

He was one of the best guys to talk to about the old days of the sport. I still remember him picking on the Young Guns for not doing their own engine repairs and chassis adjustments, and telling stories about finishing a race without roll bars or sheet metal, back when NASCAR didn’t have, you know, rules. God speed and fresh tires to the NASCAR champion from Ellerbe, N.C. He will be missed.

Since I can’t comment on Michelle’s blog, or don’t know how, Thank you Mary Kathrine Ham, for remembering BP.

R D on January 17, 2007 at 2:47 AM

You guys must be loaded. We need every single detail–romance with the Iraqis, your new Iraqi friends, bad dreams, soldier’s reaction to the Iraq policy, the type of food that was served, any clean water, 24-hours electricity, all cultural barriers except language, little courtesies, did you walk around smiling like a pop star or keeping it real like a rap star, type of music that the troops listened to, were you comfortable in the armor suit,etc.

Ouabam on January 17, 2007 at 3:04 AM

Keep yourself safe, Michelle.

While you are out there, perhaps you could interview the “Iraq the Model” people….or even try and track down AP’s phantom policeman.

uptight on January 17, 2007 at 3:06 AM

Amazing, great reporting MM!
God bless Michelle, Bryan and our troops!
I am so proud of all of you and to be an American.

Jen the Neocon on January 17, 2007 at 3:17 AM

God bless you all at HOTAIR.

That is really hanging it out there to pack your duds, get sand in your teeth (gross, yeah?)and fight the good fight.

Thank you for doing this. Raises the bar for the rest of us. Getting a dinky old press pass doesn’t seem like quite the hurdle anymore, thanks to you.

seejanemom on January 17, 2007 at 6:03 AM

OH…(I do this all the time–get too excited and forget why I came)…..

I forgot to say how well Michelle wears that whole “Embed Look”. No make-up, drab colors—-and she still looks FABU…how DOES she do it, girls???

seejanemom on January 17, 2007 at 6:24 AM

Great job, Michelle and Bryan.

I was struck by two things as while watching.

1. Michelle, you’re a southpaw like me. ;^)

2. I really hadn’t noticed before but you really are a petite woman. Which speaks all the more to your courage in going as a civilian reporter to the sand box. It isn’t the size of the wrapper, it is the size and quality of the heart that is important.

I am very much impressed. Keith Olbermann doesn’t have the (gum)balls to leave his studio and travel to Iraq. Neither, I bet, does Chris Matthews.

I look forward to the rest of your series.

With respect,

georgej on January 17, 2007 at 6:27 AM

Bravo! Bravo! Your insight is worth 1000 times your weight in gold. I think this is the beginning of the what will turn out to be the best reporting on the Long War. You two have just carried “the new media” upwards at least one order of magnitude.

Thank God you are home. And may God Bless all those who stood by you, all our troops and may God continue to Bless our great country.

Zorro on January 17, 2007 at 7:02 AM

Give ‘em hell, Michelle! You’ve taken the blogosphere to a new level. The moonbats can do nothing but look up at you and howl. Well done!

RedWinged Blackbird on January 17, 2007 at 7:03 AM

Welcome back, both.

bdfaith on January 17, 2007 at 7:17 AM

Stellar Vent! Welcome back Michelle and Bryan.

I didn’t realize Michelle was that petite!

rightside on January 17, 2007 at 7:45 AM

Welcome back! It is great that you took this opportunity. We are all glad that you are back safe and sound. Keep up the good fight for honesty and integrity.

DAT60A3 on January 17, 2007 at 7:55 AM

I am impressed. You guys did a fantastic job, and I can’t wait to see the rest.

I know the troops you encountered appreciated your efforts to get the real story told. It’s nice to see something besides the politically filtered spit that we see on MSM daily.

I’ve said it before, but it bears repeating:

Pulitzer Prize for the photograph of the little boy with old glory. Wonderful shot. The expression on his face is priceless.

hillbillyjim on January 17, 2007 at 7:59 AM

Who was the little kid in the fatigues that followed Brian around everywh…. ohhh wait..oops, that’s Michelle!

She’s so dang cute!

Good job and welcome home. Thanks for going.

GoodBoy on January 17, 2007 at 8:03 AM

Welcome back, professionally done. I wonder if maybe there could be Hollywood movies about the day-in, day-out, unglamourous work of counterinsurgency.

dapro on January 17, 2007 at 8:26 AM

This Vent and Bryans post are the two best reports from the Iraqi front I have seen. Cant wait for the rest. HA and Co. are deserving of a Pulitzer.

infidel on January 17, 2007 at 8:51 AM

What a terrific job! That was just captivating.
I can’t wait to hear more!
Great job- Michelle and Bryan!

gatewaypundit on January 17, 2007 at 8:51 AM

I can’t wait to see Michelle and Bryans reports on Fox!

Great job Michelle!

csdeven on January 17, 2007 at 9:05 AM

You photoshopped (or worse yet, PAINTED) those hum vees in!

Fauxtography and stuff!!11!!!1

Good Lt on January 17, 2007 at 9:09 AM

It sounds like to me that one way to quell the insurgency is to put the young men to work – maybe a work program like…gasp…FDR?? I look forward to more Vents from the war zone.

pullingmyhairout on January 17, 2007 at 9:13 AM

Welcome back Michelle,

Great Vent, and I am looking forward to more. Did you see/meet any of the MSM while embedded?

God Bless you for all you do to help our cause

Chuck on January 17, 2007 at 9:25 AM

OUTSTANDING!

We need more of these segments to counter the “media malpractice”.

Thanks guys!

mojowire on January 17, 2007 at 9:26 AM

My new heroine and hero. Michelle and Bryan. Well done!

Wade on January 17, 2007 at 9:32 AM

When is the Combat Michelle action figure coming out?

Tantor on January 17, 2007 at 9:35 AM

No wonder I like that firecracker. Keep telling it like it is. Welcome back to MM and Bryan.

BobK on January 17, 2007 at 9:38 AM

Wow! Real news. What a concept. That is what I’ve been looking for. The real story. Thank you so much Michelle & Bryan.

oakpack on January 17, 2007 at 9:40 AM

Proof positive – Michelle is a LEFTY. . . at least when she writes. . .

Wander on January 17, 2007 at 9:41 AM

When is the Combat Michelle action figure coming out?

Tantor on January 17, 2007 at 9:35 AM

I already have one. Granted, it’s homemade, and … never mind.

mikeyboss on January 17, 2007 at 9:42 AM

Welcome back Michelle and Bryan. I can’t watch this yet, the boss is the office today, but I look forward to watching this and upcoming reports when I get home(or when the boss leaves).Thanks for your courage. I’m glad you made it home safe.

vcferlita on January 17, 2007 at 9:42 AM

Wonderful Vent. Thanks so much for bringing truth to us. While the networks do their stand-ups from roof tops in the Green Zone, you two went to the streets to get the real skinny. Thanks again.

MCPO Airdale on January 17, 2007 at 9:50 AM

Outstanding work. Already unlike any report I have ever seen in the MSM.

Jaibones on January 17, 2007 at 9:51 AM

Michelle, please wear your cammies next visit on Fox. You da’ bomb.

Wade on January 17, 2007 at 10:03 AM

Michelle,

I am guessing you are 5’1″ in combat boots. Either that or every soldier you were seen near was at least 6’5″. Please confirm.

Rich on January 17, 2007 at 10:05 AM

Welcome back guys! Can’t wait to see everything you have for us.

Greg Tinti on January 17, 2007 at 10:07 AM

Great job but I would have liked to have seen more direct quotes from the locals and military. You just know that any lefties that watch this are going to claim Michelle is lying when she relays what she was told by them.

Benaiah on January 17, 2007 at 10:08 AM

We need more bloggers going to Iraq and giving us the whole story. Thank you.

Jewels on January 17, 2007 at 10:10 AM

Michelle, one request. Please keep us informed about any and all TV appearances. Would be great if you could broadcast an e-mail to all the registered commenter’s here on hot air, to let us know “Where in the world is Michelle”

Wade on January 17, 2007 at 10:12 AM

When are we going to see Kieth Olberman posing on the ground in Iraq?

When are we going to see Rosie posing on the ground in Iraq?

Yes, Al Franken does the USO. Credit where credit is due. But he can’t carry all of the left and he isn’t alone, there are plenty of others on the USO tour, left and right. The big mouths on the Left, though, avoid being as brave as Michelle Malkin.

Hyunchback on January 17, 2007 at 10:31 AM

Welcome home, Michelle and Bryan. Thank you for the report. Good honest reporting, no candy coating. To see everything our guys are doing getting torn down daily by the MSM and their glib smart a** comments. I don’t know how are soldiers can deal with their efforts being minimized that way.
And small you might be Michelle, but I bet with your personality you fill up a room. Thank you again.

When are we going to see Kieth Olberman posing on the ground in Iraq?

Keith Olberdouche is usually onsight after the big battles picking the pockets of the dead and looking for gold teeth. He doesn’t like to be photographed ‘working.’ Sorry…easy cheap shot and I’m out of patience with people like him.

austinnelly on January 17, 2007 at 10:39 AM

A great job, and thank you to all of the Hot Air persons involved. Iraq is getting a great help from the coalition, more help than we had when our country was just starting out, and we’ve made it just fine. The only ‘doom and gloom’ in Iraq will be felt by the insurgents/terrorists who are attempting to destroy Iraq. Their days are shortly numbered. The Iraqi people will have the freedom they are just now getting used to, and they won’t allow Iran/Syria sponsored terrorists to have the last word.

Doug on January 17, 2007 at 10:39 AM

MORE!MORE!more!

Fantastic! Thanks MM and Bryan for doing this in order to get the real word out! Both of you are very very brave and dedicated to our Troops. Through you they will finally get a fair shake! BRAVO!

labwrs on January 17, 2007 at 10:43 AM

Michelle and Bryan, thank you a thousand times . You have performed a vital public service, and have shown the courage and integrity to risk your own skin to do it.

I agree with Black Adam-your report must be disseminated on a much broader level than just this forum. If I may, I would like to make a couple of suggestions.

First, in preparation of spreading this report, how about something along the lines of a question-and-answer chat on this forum?

Second, have you made contacts with the people you were embedded with, that can and will be followed up on? Besides the obvious benefits, this can also be of use to our troops in the field as a forum, and as a short and long-term counter to the MSM.

tomk59 on January 17, 2007 at 10:50 AM

WOW. JUST WOW.

Michelle, I really admire your courage-and that of the troops. Let’s see ANY lefty, whining, quagmirist go to Iraq. Gutsy, smart and gorgeous! Keep up the EXCELLENT WORK.

WriterMom on January 17, 2007 at 11:00 AM

Michelle… I didn’t think they made combat armor that small! ;-)

Mazztek on January 17, 2007 at 11:16 AM

Wow! This is the reporting we need to see what is really happening in Iraq! It is so refreshing to get reporting that is not biased by the MSM’s bias to the Left to support their agenda. Wow!

Please post all of your reporting and commentary on Hot Air, or give us the links or times when we can view it.

It makes me wonder what the situation in Iraq, and the political opinion in the United States, would be like if we had reporting and commentary such as this for the last 24 months. What would public opinion be if they had this type of reporting to balance the propaganda from the MSM?

Wow! More Please!

omegaram on January 17, 2007 at 11:25 AM

Best photoshop ever Allahpundit!

billy on January 17, 2007 at 11:27 AM

Welcome back. Thanks for going over there. Thanks for doing the hard work to tell the truth. I am glad you are safe.

Rich

Rich on January 17, 2007 at 11:31 AM

Great job guys!

btw Michelle looked so tiny next to the troops. lol

EnochCain on January 17, 2007 at 11:36 AM

Welcome home Michelle & Bryan and thank you for going over there and reporting back. As others have said, this needs go get to Fox (wish it could get to every MSM outlet but know that’s asking way too much) ASAP. Like others, I believe that had we been “treated” to even one or two stories every other week like this, the mood of the American populace would be different. Again, thank you for going over there and telling the story of the men & women who are doing a fantastic job but are generally ignored by the MSM unless it’s some abu grahib story.

Catie96706 on January 17, 2007 at 11:42 AM

WOW. JUST WOW.

Perfectly stated.

Malpaso on January 17, 2007 at 12:05 PM

Thank you Bryan and Michelle for taking the risk and showing us what is going on over there. So glad your back and that everything went safely over there.

I am glad that in the comming days we will hear more about our brave men and women and their courage efforts in Iraq from an unbiased source than from a MSM that is more hellbent on painting Iraq and their efforts in the worst light for political gain for their beliefs.

William Amos on January 17, 2007 at 12:17 PM

Finally, some real news from Iraq.

Rather than the pablum the Legacy Media is feeding.

Lawrence on January 17, 2007 at 12:17 PM

Who’s that miniature soldier over there, she’s cute!

Great work guys, God Bless you.

infidel4life on January 17, 2007 at 12:26 PM

This is truly wonderful reporting that so needs to be done.
Thank you Michelle and Bryan for your work.

Webutante on January 17, 2007 at 12:58 PM

Bloggers doing the job that the Legacy Media refuses to do. If it weren’t for FNC and the New Media, the efforts of our brave forces would never be reported on.

Bravo for a job well done. Looking forward to seeing more.

itzWicks on January 17, 2007 at 1:18 PM

Where’s the donation box for your next trip? How about a month of life as an embed, Michelle? Fund a larger media crew the next time, more footage please.

Anil Petra on January 17, 2007 at 1:27 PM

Geez Michelle

you and Bryan just ruined the day for the koskidz and loons at DU, you’re home safe and sound.

I am glad You and Bryan are home safe and sound, you were in our prayers, which still go out everyday, hour, second for our troops doing the hard work over there.

I have been impatiently waiting for your embed reports, my problem. This clip, your column and update at your blog have only whetted my appetite for the rest.

Kudos to the crew doing the work over here while you were gone (AP, Ian, MKH, See-Dub, sorry can’t remember everyone).

Keep up the great work Hot Air.

still468 on January 17, 2007 at 1:39 PM

I wonder how it feltbeing smack dab in the middle of History? Nervous and then ya’ll found comfort zone? Especially after seeing that sniper footage. Military Garb on folks were targets!Who was watching Bryan’s 6 when they all walked into that inclosure? Great footage Dude!

Drtuddle on January 17, 2007 at 1:48 PM

Waited for it, long time. Well worth it. Michelle lunch anywhere in DC, on me and my cuz. We are so very proud of you. Know it’s scary, been there. Your service to you country is taken in by non-Dhimmitude fellow Americans with greatful pride and honor.

Keep it coming. Your eyes have been opened, now open ours.

Timber Wolf on January 17, 2007 at 1:55 PM

Excellent video Michelle and Bryon and thank you for your continuing support of our troops and their efforts in Iraq. Job well done!

Several things surprised me about this clip.

Fist is the amount of pedestrian and vehicular traffic seen in Baghdad, where supposedly the insurgents (and rival factions) are causing major havoc and destruction. That raises the question of just what effect the insurgents are actually having.

The press depicts Baghdad as being under siege, yet the video evidence shows that the Iraqis are continuing to live as one would expect in any major city. If the press is correct and the insurgents are having a major effect, one would expect to see a lot less people around and much less traffic on the roads.

Second is that fact that most of our troops are not engaged in combat, contrary to the reports of the press. That is evident in the video as there are civilians around our troop and one would expect the civilians to avoid Americans if they were under constant attack. I knew this before from what my nephew has told me (he is in Iraq for his second tour) but I have yet to see this from the American press.

All the press ever shows are streets devoid of traffic and wailing, panicked Iraqis trying to recover after an attack. American troops are usually seen running around with weapons at the ready. That does not reflect the true conditions in Baghdad, let alone the rest of Iraq.

Third is the fact that Michelle is cute! I knew that before, but seeing her in uniform really adds to that effect.

I look forward to more reports of your stay in Iraq.

RedinBlueCounty on January 17, 2007 at 3:20 PM

I played this video back to see if I could get a shot of Bryan before I realized HES HOLDING THE CAMERA. Someone give me an ass-hat award! LOL

Looking forward to more of yall’s travels,
Thanks

gradyman on January 17, 2007 at 3:22 PM

Great job – can we get it on Fox, CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC nightly news, morning shows or news magazines?

JustTruth101 on January 17, 2007 at 3:45 PM

What! No vest? How can you make the job look dangerous if you don’t put on a steel pot and vest?

navy1946 on January 17, 2007 at 3:52 PM

Nice intro to the series, Michelle and Bryan. So far, so excellent!

Hopefully, you will be interviewed by FNC, and on WABC Radio very soon about your going to Iraq.

The MSM has already made up their minds about the war and about Pres Bush…A VICTORY AGAINST TERRORISM IS A VICTORY FOR BUSH! A VICTORY IN IRAQ IS A VICTORY FOR BUSH! A VICTORY FOR BUSH CANNOT BE TOLERATED!

The Horror…The Horror…

The False Dervish on January 17, 2007 at 3:56 PM

AWESOME,THANKS MM & Bryan

bones47 on January 17, 2007 at 3:57 PM

Michelle and Bryan,

Glad you two made it back safe.

Nice job.

Dave R. on January 17, 2007 at 4:30 PM

DU and Kos are both running comments on your trip. They say it is the most informative reporting they have ever read. They are glad you made it back safe, and are eagerly waiting to hear all of your reporting. They know now they will finally hear the truth. Naw, just made that up.

They would have liked to have gone…but they were afraid.

right2bright on January 17, 2007 at 4:45 PM