Video: UPI’s Pentagon reporter says media is ignoring consequences of withdrawal

posted at 2:43 pm on January 14, 2007 by Allahpundit

You’ve read the Instapost, now watch the video. Takeaway: “[I]f as a reporter you do ask the national security question, all of a sudden you’re carrying Bush’s water.”

Exit question: Is Bush about to repeat one of his biggest mistakes by fighting the post-surge war on the cheap? According to Gen. Jack Keane, who co-authored the blueprint Bush is using: yes.

Update: I neglected to mention earlier that the clip has been edited slightly. Steve Roberts wasn’t responding directly to Hess; Kurtz asked a question of Martha Raddatz in between, which I clipped for the sake of brevity. Roberts’s answer as seen in the video fairly represents his position, though, as well as the general tenor of the discussion. Here’s the transcript.

Comments

What’s her point? She’s all upset.

Vincenzo on January 14, 2007 at 2:49 PM

Wait a sec, is she actually defending the war? I think I like this woman. But I just did a google search on her and the second result is that she got botoxed.

Vincenzo on January 14, 2007 at 2:51 PM

UPI?
That’s interesting. Have been wondering what happened to them, they’d been off the radar since being sold. If this is an indication of the calibre of their reporting/commentary, it’s very promising.

naliaka on January 14, 2007 at 2:51 PM

I thin her point is that the media are too one sided in their coverage. It’s an admission that is long over-due. There are many success stories to write about but she is arguing that the media are only focusing on the negative to force the administration to be accountable for the bad things that have happened.

Troy Rasmussen on January 14, 2007 at 2:51 PM

She should see what her presstitute buddies have to say about Global Warming.

shermacman on January 14, 2007 at 2:54 PM

What does he mean by “Call this administration to account.” By what authority? Is the MSM somehow the political police force? Who holds them to account? Why don’t the just TRY to report accurately and LET THE POEPLE HOLD THE GOVERNMENT TO ACCOUNT? Novel idea….

ronsfi on January 14, 2007 at 2:59 PM

I’m much more concerned with what UPN thinks.

RightWinged on January 14, 2007 at 3:00 PM

Like Duhhhhhh ! ! Did they just come out of the closet?

Or is the fear of losing begining to have an impact ?

Texyank on January 14, 2007 at 3:00 PM

How refreshing, a reporter asking the question of her fellows: “We need to find a way to make this work.”

It is nice to see that SOME of the traitor-class is waking up to the reality of why will happen if we lose.

georgej on January 14, 2007 at 3:02 PM

IntelliTXT is annoying. Not dogging you cuz I know you gotta eat, but just had to say it’s obnoxious (though I’m not above using it myself if I ever get back around to bloggin)

RightWinged on January 14, 2007 at 3:09 PM

UPI?

The rise of UPI … the fall of AP …?

I might not agree on her every point, but at least she is the closest thing to an honest MSM type as I’ve heard in a long time … years? … ever? Wonder how long she’ll have a job after “carrying Bush’s water”?

Again, this honest, open-eyes type of reporting is what we conservatives have bemoaned as being missing in the MSM; they don’t have to agree with us, but they must stop fixating on their pet interests (e.g., influencing the political scene) and get about the business of addressing the harder, long term issues (e.g., “what happens if we lose?” She even has the right term – lose is what we will do if we pull out.) I liked her, but the guy next to her is a shill.

IrishEyes on January 14, 2007 at 3:11 PM

I sure hope not, but am afraid so, particularly if Congress tightens up on the budget. I’m the “all of nothing” type when it comes to war; either don’t do it or give it all you’ve got. It’s the politicians pulling back who constantly hamstring the troops, who could wrap this up relatively quickly, if allowed. Just like ‘Nam. Same result, too, if they continue.

IrishEyes on January 14, 2007 at 3:15 PM

So, what’s the deal with this player not letting you “rewind” to the beginning? What if I want to go back to BEFORE the 5 or 10 second mark without having to reload the page?

DaveS on January 14, 2007 at 3:36 PM

Has she been fired yet?

ej_pez on January 14, 2007 at 3:40 PM

just checked UPI’s website
Not very impressed. Too bad. An alternative wire service is needed – a fair one! WHy is that so much to ask? Where are all the supposedly rich conservatives out there? Not a single “righty” or “righty” investors who’ve gotten rich on the backs of the downtrodden can start up a solid, meaty wire- service? Or are we all doomed to become over-taxed and overcharged serfs under the monopolistic media behemouth that holds copyrights into the next millenium, sends storm troopers to arrest people downloading, and feeds us drivel and political propaganda disguised as news?
No answer required. Know it already. Sigh.

naliaka on January 14, 2007 at 3:46 PM

IntelliTXT is annoying.

What he said… Is there a tip jar we can give to in order to get rid of it? I’ll chip in. How much would of an incentive do you need to remove it?

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 14, 2007 at 3:48 PM

The liberal fathead in the middle is Cokie Roberts’ old man. I thought the UPI reporter was very good. She won’t last long.

Jeff on January 14, 2007 at 3:48 PM

IntelliTXT is annoying.

Not nearly as annoying as InterClick in elgeneralisimo’s opinion, but…

You can disable JavaScript in FireFox(Tools|Options|Content|Disable JavaScript) or get the NoScript plug-in and pick and choose what runs(handy if you want to use the comment ‘buttons’ here, they’re js not php)…

elgeneralisimo on January 14, 2007 at 3:51 PM

:( I love Pam Hess. I suspect it is unrequited.

Kevin M on January 14, 2007 at 4:00 PM

ronsfi on January 14, 2007 at 2:59 PM

My God man. I think you’ve got it. To the moors.

Griz on January 14, 2007 at 4:11 PM

IntelliTXT is annoying.

Very

Wade on January 14, 2007 at 4:33 PM

UPI is now owned by the same group that owns The Washington Times. While some days their reporting doesn’t impress, on other days it does.

I read UPI daily these days.

crosspatch on January 14, 2007 at 5:05 PM

Pam Hess has always been a supporter of the war on terror, and what she is saying here is nothing new for her.

She is on C-SPAN quite a bit if you’re interested in seeing more of her.

Scot on January 14, 2007 at 5:22 PM

How do people get away with claiming that Bush lied about the war, the Bush fabricated the evidence or reasons to go to war in Iraq, etc.?

It appears that Bush does have a big flaw in that area, he allows the negative liberal press to say what they want and he does not counter it.

Bad move, or else the negative, liberal press is right, they have his number, and he should check out of the White House and go on trial for his lies and crimes.

Which one is it?

William

William2006 on January 14, 2007 at 6:16 PM

IntelliTXT is annoying.

Agreed.

spmat on January 14, 2007 at 7:12 PM

Are all the men at CNN panzies? He’s all wrong and she’s half right.

The media’s job is NOT to strive against all Republican presidents but simply to report the facts. Facts are what’s missing here; all we get is propaganda from the drive-by media.

Mojave Mark on January 14, 2007 at 7:22 PM

Is she married?

Anil Petra on January 14, 2007 at 7:40 PM

If you are using FireFox, get “No Script” and “AdBlock Plus”. It’ll clean things right up.

GT on January 14, 2007 at 7:51 PM

Wow, I am amazed. A rare glimpse of an actual thought process outside the usual run of the mill MSM democrat torch carriers.

NRA4Freedom on January 14, 2007 at 8:05 PM

Neither here nor there. Whomever she is, at the next protest sponsored by International ANSWR, there will be a large float, with her caricatured as bent over a barrel of oil, glasses askew, with a grinning, cowboy hat wearing Bush nailing her from behind.

Jaibones on January 14, 2007 at 9:07 PM

It is amazing to me how attractive a female reporter becomes when she speaks truth to power(take that Bow Wow Boxer). She said it all when “anyone asking the national security question” is said to be carrying the water for Bush. Roughly translated, anyone giving a damn about the consequences in Iraq is considered a traitor by the drive-by media. To be honest is to be a mouth-piece for the Adm., to lie and obfuscate is to be patriotic. It’s what we all know but it’s nice to get some candor from people on the front lines now and again………

ritethinker on January 14, 2007 at 9:07 PM

This is the reporter that the Iraq Surrender Group thought was from Fox.

hotdax on January 14, 2007 at 9:12 PM

She has hit upon a salient point. Entirely too many members of the media do not understand, let alone comply with, the concept of the LOYAL opposition. They just want to indulge their fantasies and to hell with any consequences.

Oilpatcher on January 14, 2007 at 9:22 PM

If President Bush had his own network, I would give more credence to the criticism of how he fights back against his accusers. Since he doesn’t, we only see what they are willing to give us. Until a strong voice for our side emerges in the media we have to content our selves with what we get from “non-traditional” media like Hotair and others. The general public is not motivated enough to do the work needed to gather the truth that is out there. I suspect that, for the White House and their advocates, it’s somewhat like trying to hold a conversation through a closed door.
Unfortunately most groups that would try to represent “our” side of things actually run their operations like a business and make the effort to maximize their viewership by catering to the so called “middle”. If someone on the right were willing to throw away money hand over fist like the major networks do with their news departments in order to get their message out, things might change.

TBinSTL on January 14, 2007 at 10:09 PM

I am a huge fan of Keane and Kagan’s “Choosing Victory” plan, and will be very disappointed if Bush tries to implement it in a half ass way. I am hoping that this is just trying to present it to the Dems, Chuck Hagel, and the media in a way that makes it more palatable, when they are really intending to go at it full bore. I actually listend to all 2.5 hours of Fred Kagan testifiying before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee last Thursday, along with two other “plans” (partition, bugging out now), and it seemed that Joe Biden actually had the most respect for what Kagan was saying. Bush has got to know that this is his last shot at victory in Iraq, and that there is simply no point in going at this with less than 100%. You’d think that after 6 years he would learn that he gets absolutely no credit whatsoever for trying to compromise with the Dems.

Dudley Smith on January 14, 2007 at 10:28 PM

We need a thousand more like her. She’s not only intelligent and finally talking about what the MSM has neglected all along with the egregious failure to cover the real stories in Iraq, she’s also calm and lovely. I like her.

Glynn on January 14, 2007 at 10:36 PM

She’s really defining BDS – the media’s playing “gotcha” on every point of the conduct of the war. First, they’re only reporting on the bad news; second, since there’s only bad news, the war must be a failure; third, Bush got us into this, so he’s a failure: GOTCHA!

The MSM is not thinking about the war, and the consequences of winning or losing it! And if they do take the war itself seriously, and consider the consequences of any action, they must be pro-Bush!

Steve Roberts is one of the worst offenders…since his paranoid mind has fabricated the “fact” that Bush lied and manufactured false intelligence, it is true beyond question. This paranoia carries to every irrational thought attributed to Bush, and has been lovingly embraced by the MSM.

So what are we to do with the war? Well, everyone knows that we’re not there legitimately, and everyone knows that Bush lied to get us there so he could make millions for his friends, and everyone knows that Iraq was a better place before we invaded, so the only consequence of leaving would be to undo the damage we cause…akin to the argument that abortion is just undoing a pregnancy.

stonemeister on January 14, 2007 at 11:35 PM

IntelliTXT is annoying.

Pain in the ass.

So now I have to either switch from IE to Firefox just to have the capability to disable some annoying crap?

Damn Allah. Put a Paypal button on the home page. How much do you want each of us to contribute to get rid of Intellitxt?

BacaDog on January 14, 2007 at 11:42 PM

IntelliTXT is annoying.

True. And I wish it would go away.

I’m not sure how it is supposed to work, though. If it is designed to cause a link to go to an advertisement then why do I see a “live search” pop up opening up that says “search the web for [word highlighted] on Windows Live.”

As I have atdmt.com (which is loaded when I select the “magnifying glass”) in my hosts file set to a null IP address, I get a page not found (which is just fine by me).

So what is intellitext really supposed to do, anyway?

georgej on January 15, 2007 at 12:59 AM

Time video news time video news time video news.

RD on January 15, 2007 at 1:08 AM

Hmm… why are my words not underlined in GREEN? I’ve a lot to learn about this bellicose-text feature apparently:

Does it Violate Privacy?No.

Are there any known security issues?No.

Stability problems:None.

Terminating IntelliTXT:
The closest sure thing you can do to get rid of IntelliTXT is to simply stop visiting sites that have chosen this advertising method. There is nothing on your computer that needs to be removed or changed.

Vibrant Media also offers an optional tag for webmasters to implement which will allow the user to turn IntelliTXT on or off. If the site you’re visiting has incorporated this tag into their pages you should be able to find an “opt out” link which will allow you to turn it off.

RD on January 15, 2007 at 1:11 AM

I saw a C-SPAN call-in program some time ago with someone who I recall looked a lot like Pam Hess but less animated. They showed a clip of her report from Iraq. It hardly a glowing report of success; it was on the average negative, but it wasn’t total condemnation. I thought it was critical but fair and realistic. The callers from the left apparently thought otherwise. One asked emphatically, “Where is your outrage?” Another called her a b***h. Another said “You. Fascist. C**t.” None of that was bleeped out, which I found rather startling. She took this garbage calmly with no apparent negative reaction, which I gave her a LOT of credit for.

JimC on January 15, 2007 at 1:48 AM

I’m not quite sure what to say. She even said it on CNN, and they allowed it. I supposed I’m at a loss for words because I was just confronted with someone who actually spoke common sense. Of course the other commentator had to make up for it by interjecting that Bush “fabricated” intelligence. Bush must have had help fabrictating from the dems, world leaders and various intelligence agencies who thought the same thing.

darwin on January 15, 2007 at 8:47 AM

She looks like Lois Lane. Where’s Superman?

Griz on January 15, 2007 at 9:15 AM

ronsfi on January 14, 2007 at 2:59 PM

While I agree the media needs to report accurately, traditionally it has been the media’s responsibility to serve as the governmental watchdog; to hold the government to account by reporting it’s actions to the public at large. As you write, ultimately the people must hold the government to account, but it has long been the purpose of the free press to investigate, ask tough questions, and demand transparency, so that the government does not operate in secrecy and the people are able to make informed decisions and hold their elected officials to account.

Granted, this does not just mean constantly questioning Bush and an important part of this job would entail asking questions about the consequences of a withdrawal. However the media does serve the historical responsibility as a sort of ‘political police force, ’ as you put it, or as a ‘watchdog’ as the American Government textbooks like to put it. As to who holds the media to account? I dunno…blogs?

JaHerer22 on January 15, 2007 at 10:11 AM

The media will always been run by the Left, because Righties are too busy out there in the real world akin’ things happen.

Those who can, do. Those who can’t, report … and teach.

Tony737 on January 15, 2007 at 10:32 AM

Thanks for posting this. I found it really interesting but did not know the UPI was connected to the Washington Times.
Tony737, I used to teach (before I did the dorky thing-according to the left and stay home with my kids) and who taught you to read, write, etc. I used to be an Army Officer too. There are a lot of former military who are coming into the classrooms to teach. There was a retired CSM who could take a room full of obnoxious little brats and by the end of the week they were totally different kids. Parents commented on how their children were never so well behaved at school or did so well in their work. I will admit it’s one of those little stupid phrases, like retard that get under my skin. Someone taught you to read, write and do everything else you can do. Give them a break. There are a lot of good teachers out there. Unfortunately the unions who keep the incompetent ones around give the rest a bad name. Okay, off my soap box now.

Catie96706 on January 15, 2007 at 1:43 PM

“While I agree the media needs to report accurately, traditionally it has been the media’s responsibility to serve as the governmental watchdog”

Then let’s see them do their “traditional” job. The media of today are nothing more than press agents for the democrats. They rarely print or broadcast anything negative, or for that matter truthful about democrats. They will however, go out of their way to lie, fabricate and distort to put the worst possible light on republicans. The few journalists left with integrity might as well hang it up. The rest, well, they’re not really journalists anymore, just run of the mill hacks. Scum of the earth if you will.

darwin on January 15, 2007 at 1:52 PM

Would Lincoln have allowed the press to be so clearly treasonous back in the 1860s? Just asking…

Halley on January 15, 2007 at 2:42 PM

Catie, no offense. You’re right, I remember hearing about that program of ex-military people going into education. We need more if that. I mentioned on another thread that we need conservatives to go into education and media or else our great nation is doomed. If we can get more former military folks into those two unstitutions, we might have a chance. I agree that the unions are what’s wrong with our schools. The two go hand in hand. They brainwash our kids in school then continue as our source of “news” into adulthood. It’s the reason why we keep spending more money yet our kids’ grades continue to go down. Yes, there are great teachers out there, but I think they are the minority. Yes, I can read, and I do thank my teachers for that, but I also thank Veterans because I can read *in English*.

Tony737 on January 15, 2007 at 3:09 PM

“Yes, there are great teachers out there, but I think they are the minority.”

The quality, integrity and ethics of teachers started degrading with the advent of the NEA and adoption of their new moniker … “educator”.

darwin on January 15, 2007 at 3:18 PM

Tony737, you’re right, the unions are what is the most wrong with education. It’s a HUGE problem with students being brainwashed while in high school and middle school as well. I once taught with a woman who bragged about her and her husband declaring bankruptcy and told her students (high school math if you can believe it!!) how to get out of paying your bills. This was her first year and Dr. Dean who was a great guy and a wonderful principal got rid of her at the end of the year. Even when you work in a non-union district (Liberty County, GA), it takes a year to get rid of someone legally although he tried everything to get rid of her before the end of the first semester.
The NEA is the absolute worse thing that ever happened to education as well. I’ve worked alongside some pretty bad teachers (Spanish teachers who could barely speak Spanish themselves, Math teachers one chapter ahead of the kids, well you get the idea), however, there are still so few conservatives going into the fieldl and boy do those tolerant lib teachers make life hell for you if they find out you don’t agree with them. Know from experience, that’s one reason I won’t go back to teaching when my kids go to school.
Tony, I have that bumper sticker on my icky Highlander Hybrid and would you believe someone tried to scrape it off? I guess it was the same person who did scrape off my “W 04″ sticker and scratched my back window. Libs, gotta love their tolerance.

Catie96706 on January 15, 2007 at 3:33 PM

YYyeeeee….hope she has a “Plan B”.

I hear STARKIST is hiring.

seejanemom on January 15, 2007 at 3:56 PM