On sale now at Urban Outfitters: “Anti-war woven scarf”

posted at 3:50 pm on January 14, 2007 by Allahpundit

Really? Looks a lot like a keffiyeh, which symbolizes many things but “anti-war” is not one of them. Instant counterculture cred, though, for only 20 bucks. Jewish bloodstains sold separately.

Let it be noted that although the pattern on the white one resembles the pattern on the keffiyeh famously worn by Yasser Arafat, it’s not the same. Compare it to the one seen here around the neck of the Democratic National Committee’s chairman. That’s an Arafat keffiyeh.

dean-keffiyeh.jpg

Thanks to Wordwarp, who’s got the link to the complaint form at UO.

Comments

True! Back in 1988 the “flag burners” wore those things to a speach by Antonin Scalia on my college campus. They shouted alot too, but I don’t think they had any idea what they were wearing – it just looked cool and rebellious. Idiots.

PS: That was in the good ol’ days when confused freaks could only disrupt conservative speakers – now they just force them off the podium.

forest on January 14, 2007 at 4:12 PM

A keffiyeh kerfuffle ?

elgeneralisimo on January 14, 2007 at 4:21 PM

A great accessory to the code-pinko t-shirt on the next post.

thedecider on January 14, 2007 at 4:40 PM

Does it come with a grenade launcher? What next a “freedom burqa”? morons.

bloggless on January 14, 2007 at 4:43 PM

This kinda reminds me of when I discovered that Hot Topic was owned by The Gap… All the angst-filled emo kids thought they were making a statement, but their statement was “I support Corporate America”.

Kinda like hippies in the 60′s fighting back by getting high on CIA-cooked LSD.

Lehosh on January 14, 2007 at 4:49 PM

What next a “freedom burqa”? morons.

Nope. Next up are the Anti-meanie socks

ronsfi on January 14, 2007 at 4:56 PM

Exactly what is supposed to be anti-war about it? Were they blessed by Cindy Sheehan or something? It just looks like an ugly scarf.

see-dubya on January 14, 2007 at 4:57 PM

Cool!…..Anti-War Charmin’

Limerick on January 14, 2007 at 4:58 PM

Geeee, it’s “imported” and can be worn “year round”. Hmmmmm! Let’s see now………..

bloggless on January 14, 2007 at 5:00 PM

Oh, those are awful, I should start selling my own.

I’d use a nice print with little Che heads and peace symbols.

reaganaut on January 14, 2007 at 5:00 PM

i made a photoshop.

jummy on January 14, 2007 at 5:11 PM

A keffiyeh kerfuffle ?

elgeneralisimo on January 14, 2007 at 4:21 PM

A kafir keffiyeh kerfuffle?

forest on January 14, 2007 at 5:11 PM

The morons didn’t realize Scalia would vote with them the next year in Texas v. Johnson.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on January 14, 2007 at 5:20 PM

Huh. They used to sell those at the PX on Al Taqaddum AB. I damn near bought one because they function as a pretty nice scarf and you could kind of get away with wearing one if you were away from the company area (i.e. on the blustery, cold job site). The Brits used to wear them as well. Makes me think I SHOULD have bought one if only to make some Leftist twitch (“What’s that REACTIONARY doing wearing OUR clothing???!!!!) Now, though, I can wear a real scarf, so why bother. I wonder if there is an Israeli counterpart…

Militant Bibliophile on January 14, 2007 at 5:32 PM

I wore one on Halloween, dressed as bin l@den to scare the neighborhood kids. I yelled, “AllahPundit”, and they ran, scared.

tormod on January 14, 2007 at 5:35 PM

We owe it to the country to make fun of this latest radical chic.

Phil Byler on January 14, 2007 at 5:35 PM

The libs are just cowards with crapped pants hiding under their beds sucking their thumbs waiting for the “freedom fighters” to beat the bad USA, they can also use those scarves as diapers, security blankets, and later as blindfolds for when they are lined up on a wall.

csdeven on January 14, 2007 at 5:49 PM

Follow the money for this ‘anti-war’ fashion, I’ll bet it goes back to a terrorist organization.

ot: Want to talk to a human on 800 numbers?

Lord Nazh on January 14, 2007 at 6:35 PM

Look, anti-war activists.

gershom on January 14, 2007 at 7:08 PM

We could embroider the words “convert or die” in each and every one. What fun.

Mojave Mark on January 14, 2007 at 7:16 PM

i made a photoshop.

jummy on January 14, 2007 at 5:11 PM

Do those come with the Moral Highground Heels?

ronsfi on January 14, 2007 at 7:30 PM

see-dubya on January 14, 2007 at 4:57 PM

Then they must have been blessed by Cindy Sheehan – if it is just “an ugly scarf”

Does it come with a grenade launcher? What next a “freedom burqa”? morons.

bloggless on January 14, 2007 at 4:43 PM

And for Cindy’s sake I wish they’d come out with a “freedom burka” cause she is just simply fugly.

armyvet on January 14, 2007 at 7:42 PM

Almost makes you wish for the Nehru jacket to make a comeback, doesn’t it?

Emmett J. on January 14, 2007 at 8:36 PM

So that explains the HoDean scream from 2004, he was having a Brokeback Arafat flashback……I don’t know, wearing a table-cloth around your neck…it’s too yewish…

ritethinker on January 14, 2007 at 9:38 PM

Sep 11, 2001 occurred on a Tuesday. That Saturday, in Austin, Texas, I drove around town with my camera to document what changes the attack had brought. Down in front of the capitol I found my first anti-war protestor. He was wearing a bedsheet as a makeshift dishdasha and was wearing a kaffiyeh on his head. I don’t know where he got it on such short notice. Maybe it’s standard issue for lefty moonbats.

He was arguing to cars and agitated pedestrians that the US had deserved the attack and we shouldn’t strike back. At that point we didn’t know who had been behind the attack, so I asked him who it was that we shouldn’t strike back at. He was stumped by that but said we shouldn’t strike back, whoever they were.

He went on to say that America was a fascist state. I pointed out the state troopers sitting in their cruisers about fifty feet away, guarding the capitol. If this were a fascist state, I asked him, why aren’t those cops arresting you and dragging you off to prison? He was stumped by that, but leaped to another topic.

On and on he went, making crazy claims and being stumped by simple questions. His name was Wes and he worked at a recycling plant. He loved the negative attention he got and being videotaped by me.

The next weekend there were more protestors and more and more each weekend after that. However, they didn’t stay long after the TV cameras left.

Tantor on January 14, 2007 at 10:06 PM

I actually wear a force-Shemaghs-Olive-DrabBlack-P504C0.aspx”>Shemagh like that when I play airsoft. Works great for the cold. I think a keffiyeh is a different weave pattern. Like kilts I suppose.

Like many things at Urbane Outfitters; it’s over priced as well.

liquidflorian on January 14, 2007 at 10:23 PM

Stupid link failure!!!!! Check em’ out….

liquidflorian on January 14, 2007 at 10:24 PM

“why aren’t those cops arresting you”

Zactly right, Tantor. I like to ask ‘em that too. I even stand up and say “Bush sucks! … hhmmm that’s odd, no jack booted goons came to get me. Why is that?” I also like to ask ‘em “If America is an imperialist nation, why is Japan not a state?” They never have an answer. Why did we enact the Marshall Plan to rebuild Germany instead of just claiming it as a territory? “Um, … you’re a nazi!” Gee, that’s a well thought out answer, you should run for president. Go live in Fwance, jackass, the Fwench would love to have ya and we’d be better off withoutchya.

“they didn’t stay long after the tv cameras left” – DOUBLE zactly! Nice work Tantor!

Tony737 on January 14, 2007 at 10:30 PM

Howard Dean is an ass.

ekuspa40 on January 14, 2007 at 10:46 PM

Do those come with the Moral Highground Heels?

ronsfi on January 14, 2007 at 7:30 PM

depends if they’re worn while screeching about neocons at an answer march or while screeching about mexicans.

jummy on January 14, 2007 at 10:57 PM

On sale now at Urban Outfitters: “Anti-war woven scarf”

Ugh. Yet another company I’ll never do business with… though I can’t say as I ever have anyway. Never cared for the breed I see come in and out of there.

I have to point out how funny, and stereotypical it is of this place though. My friend’s obnoxious hippy college ex-girlfriend workds there. I’ve only met her a couple times, but the last time, I recall noticing my friend needed new wiper blades and after he mentioned he’d buy them at an auto parts store I suggested he buy them at Walmart because they’re cheaper and have a number of different brands, depending on how nice you want them to be. She got pissed and with a straight face, dead serious, told me that Walmart is evil. Instead of making my friend’s girlfriend (at the time) look like and idiot in front of him, I changed the subject.

RightWinged on January 15, 2007 at 1:28 AM

“Anti-war”? Very creepy. This is terrorist-chic. What strange times we live in.

Free Kurdistan on January 15, 2007 at 3:06 AM

Personally, I own a zionist version – the Keffiyeh Israelit. It’s covered in blue stars of David.

uptight on January 15, 2007 at 4:25 AM

Almost makes you wish for the Nehru jacket to make a comeback, doesn’t it?

Emmett J. on January 14, 2007 at 8:36 PM

Comeback? Do you mean that all these years I’ve been…..

BacaDog on January 15, 2007 at 7:45 AM

Can anybody figure out why liberals have such a fascination with heroes that are so antithetical to their own professed causes? Che Guevara and Mao were cold blooded murderers who suppressed every civil liberty within their countries. But they were anti-Western, so they’re heroes.

And the global Jihadist? What in their philosophy could Howard Dean and the liberals find appealing? Women’s rights? Freedoms of speech, religion, expression, etc.? Are they against the Second Amendment?

One last rant: Mel Gibson is evil because he’s anti-Semitic, but murdering Jews is to be admired? It would be funny if it weren’t so dangerous.

Maybe Urban Outfitters could make a t-shirt that really explains liberalism: “Save the Whales! Support murder & rape of Americans” or “Kill a Jew to stop Global Warming.”

cmay on January 15, 2007 at 8:34 AM

Praise Allah! Terrorist fashion is back in style! Now I can drag out my old Members Only jacket and look slick like Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. The scarf would complete the ensemble.

mojowire on January 15, 2007 at 9:03 AM

When are they going to offer the matching anti-war-suicide-belt?

BohicaTwentyTwo on January 15, 2007 at 9:25 AM

Tantor,

I had a similar experience. I was at the 2005 Support the Troops rally on the Mall in DC, which was scheduled for the day after the Million Moonbat March.

There was a row of DC’s Finest between the rally and the moonbat protesters, one of which I heard complaining of George Bush’s America, the fascist police state. I asked him how it was that he could be standing between that building (pointing at the Capitol) and that building (pointing at the White House) talking about Dubya’s police state, and yet here are all these cops making sure he don’t get his ass beaten instead of lumping him up themselves and dragging him off to a dank cell, never to be heard from again. That stopped him in his tracks. Then I asked him how he thought that sort of thing would play if he tried it in Damascus. In a stunning rhetorical comeback, he made this highly shrewd observation: “This isn’t Damascus.” My point exactly, Einstein.

Moonbats are funny. Even funnier was when Marine One overflew the festivities on it’s way to the WH. Heh.

Pablo on January 15, 2007 at 9:54 AM

These are the modern day swastikas.

WriterMom on January 15, 2007 at 10:02 AM

Holy crap! I just saw some hippie back packer dude wearin’ one of these at the airport in Baltimore!

Tony737 on January 15, 2007 at 12:16 PM

“My point exactly, Einstein.”

hahahaha

I love callin’ dummies Einstein, half the time they think it’s a compliment.

Tony737 on January 15, 2007 at 12:27 PM

Hah! The black and white ones are on back order.

Catnip on January 15, 2007 at 4:18 PM