Fauxtography: DU blows the lid off Malkin photoshop! Update: Hook, line, and sinker at dKos

posted at 2:22 pm on January 12, 2007 by Allahpundit

The flag’s been photoshopped in!! The bottom of the stick isn’t aligned with the top!! IT’S NOT A PHOTOGRAPH, IT’S A PAINTING!!! LMAO!!!

iraq6.jpg

Two good reasons to believe it’s real:

1. I’m the guy who worked on it and I’m telling you — it’s real. As mentioned in her post, I adjusted the lighting (by moving the Shadows/Highlights settings) and eliminated some of the grain (with the “Reduce Noise” filter). In fact, I wanted to eliminate more around his right eye but thought that might interfere with the reality of the shot by eliminating the dirt on his face too, so I only used a low setting. That’s all that was done to the photo. WYSIWYG.

2. Michelle doesn’t have photoshop (and doesn’t know photoshop) so she couldn’t have worked on it before it got to me. In fact, the reason she asked for my help on this in the first place was to add copyright text to the images. That’s the simplest task you could perform with PS, so if she’d had the software, she could have and would have done it herself.

Some of the smarter DUers are trying to talk the more excitable ones down from the ledge over there. Go, enjoy.

Update: And so it’s come to this: the commenters at Democratic Underground are actually more astute than the diarists at Daily Kos, a site which once published a technical analysis of the Rathergate memos that “proved” they were authentic.

Slackjawed nitwit “Little” writes:

The photo, which i thought was of a mannequin because it so messed-with looking, carries this caption:

As an Army convoy prepared to depart after dropping off blankets, an Iraqi boy came out to say goodbye clutching a stuffed toy–and an American flag. [Update (from Allahpundit): The subject was backlit in the original photo so I used Photoshop to adjust the lighting and remove a small amount of grain.]

Notice it’s an update. As in, the fact that she has a photoshopped photo on her blog (wipe wipe; there, now I can see my monitor again), was not disclosed when it was put up. Oh god, that’s funny.

The anti-Michelle: I suppose we just supposed to trust her now that the kid actually wasn’t a model? That he didn’t pose for the shot? (Er…) That the flag wasn’t photoshopped in also? Yeah, right.

The photo that was first posted was the original one — so dark that you could barely discern the kid’s features. That’s when Michelle e-mailed me and asked me to lighten it and add the copyright text. It was replaced with the new photo, thereby necessitating an update to her original caption.

He’s right about the funny part, though. “Messed-with looking”? Poetry.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Like an El-Cheapo stick can’t be bent? What imbeciles.

Probably, more like, what liars.

JamesonLewis3rd on January 12, 2007 at 6:43 PM

My nephew has that same shirt, got it at Gap for Kids. the sun is setting in the west (look at the shadows), but the background shows the shadows as if the sun is setting in the east. The staff of the flag; the top part is not aligned with the bottom, the eyes are a little off center. They tried to erase the power line beneath the larger line. The power lines are very similiar to the type of offset they used in Detroit. Upper right hand corner and around is hair is bright, as if something was removed.

right2bright on January 12, 2007 at 6:46 PM

Wow, they’re sooooooooooooooo smart.

SouthernGent on January 12, 2007 at 6:56 PM

For more DU idiocy without having actually enter that cesspool of “thought”, try this site:

It’s a freakin’ riot!

Lonevoice on January 12, 2007 at 7:28 PM

Big deal – photoshopped or not. If AP claims it isn’t, that’s enough for me. Either way, the picture is meaningless anyway. They stick some flag in this poor kid’s hand, and it’s suposed to mean what? That he loves America? That he’s ok with what’s going on over there? I love you guys man, thanks for all you’ve done over here.

The photo wasn’t doctored before the picture was taken – the scene was doctored from the start to evoke some bullshit emotion.

GregH on January 12, 2007 at 8:00 PM

Given the constant harping about “fautography” on this site, why would you “mess” with it at all? IF the pics no good use another one or NOTHING. Why hand your enemies the sword with which to cut you?

Soothsayer on January 12, 2007 at 8:06 PM

Edited expletive, and tried again:

Big deal – photoshopped or not. If AP claims it isn’t, that’s enough for me. Either way, the picture is meaningless anyway. They stick some flag in this poor kid’s hand, and it’s supposed to mean what? That he loves America? That he’s ok with what’s going on over there? I love you guys man, thanks for all you’ve done over here.

The photo wasn’t doctored before the picture was taken – the scene was doctored from the start to evoke some BS emotion.

GregH on January 12, 2007 at 8:24 PM

Aren’t we all missing the bigger picture here? no pun intended. The kid is the focus of the photo, a cute Iraqi kid. That is the human part that should tug at your heart-strings and play on your emotions. Yeah, someone put an American flag in his hand. What, we’re expecting a Hezbo flag? The flag adds a little how’s everybody back home kind of thing that’s all. The same thing would happen if you took your kid to Disney and put a set of Mickey ears on him for a photo. It’s kind of expected and accepted. We have officially ANALyzed this photo to it’s ultimate death. It’s a photo of a cute Iraqi kid holding an American flag…nice sentiment….nice pic…

ritethinker on January 12, 2007 at 9:00 PM

Allah… why not post a link to the original hi res photo? I don’t want to see the left get their hooks in this.

Ugly on January 12, 2007 at 9:21 PM

I remember playing interpreter in a refugee camp in 1975. One day some dignitaries were present so all sorts of network cameras and the like were around.
A little Vietnamese girl got separated from her folks. She was confused and more than a little frightened. The cameras followed her running in circles UNTIL
she spotted something familar and latched onto it. Tht something was the khaki-clad leg of an American Sergeant who looked like the role model for Snorkel. Then the media almost jerked their cables loose spinning their cameras away
They obviously could not stand to film evidence of our
uniform being considered a welcome and friendly sight.
So this latest reaction to a child with the Stars and
Stripes is but a continuation of the eralier denial.

Oilpatcher on January 12, 2007 at 10:27 PM

Yeah, just thanks for that Allah.

Every time I get tricked into going over to DU, I always lose another handful of IQ points I am never likely to get back.

However, it is funny to see a DUer or two point out how mentally helpless the rest of them are.

Ken McCracken on January 12, 2007 at 11:06 PM

So Adnan Hajj, we meet again! I wondered what happened to you after your fall-out with Reuters. Haha.

RightWinged on January 13, 2007 at 12:17 AM

Having tied Allah’s score on the “Which one is a photoshop?” quiz a few months back, I hereby declare this photo genuine.

Those DU folks really are goofy.

John on January 13, 2007 at 3:16 AM

The boys and girls at DU and KOS, once again, prove that they are too stupid to be able to breath without mechanical asistance. Nope. Not even brain-stem neurons are flashing. It’s proof that each and every one of them is BRAIN DEAD.

georgej on January 13, 2007 at 7:22 AM

dKos: semi-literate goons that would have felt more at home in the Hitler Jugend than the democratic party. Adolf once said “I decide who’s a jew!”, dKos say “We decide what’s a fake!”. Ok, maybe I’m going a bit far here … but what the hell, once in a while you have to let off steam. Like georgej says, braindead, except not quite. Life would be less annoying if they were.

Aylios on January 13, 2007 at 9:29 AM

The stick actually is almost completely straight, it only appears to be misaligned because of the fact that it is being held in that boy’s hand. That’s an optical illusion cause by the different horizontal angles of the top and bottom fingers and their apparent angle to the vertical stick. Just hold a ruler up to the screen and you’ll see that the top of the stick and the bottom align almost exactly.

Just my two cents worth of photo identafauxation.

RedinBlueCounty on January 13, 2007 at 11:51 AM

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHH… so what?

Since the Rats have taken back Congress, the lil dopy rodents at DU don’t have much else to whine about. The old saying is, if rats can’t find food, they start eating themselves.

byteshredder on January 13, 2007 at 4:21 PM

If the photo is poorly lit, it is not legit!

Neo on January 13, 2007 at 6:23 PM

Easy to see how they are so easily brainwashed. And they are always right, ever notice that?

Griz on January 13, 2007 at 8:21 PM

Thank you for the extremely entertaining coverage. I did enjoy reading the DU comments, and the DKos article quite a bit. I’m with the kid in the pic! USA, all the way!

ValhallaMike on January 15, 2007 at 6:39 AM

I remember that. I saw the first picture, how dark it was and everything. And then, when it was lightened, I was at first confused until I saw the update.

Esthier on January 15, 2007 at 9:47 AM