Duke prof resigns committee posts over defendants’ return to campus; Update: Nifong asks to be recused (Bumped)

posted at 5:35 pm on January 12, 2007 by Allahpundit

Innocent until proven guilty, unless you’re a cog in the patriarchy’s institutionalized frat-boy rape machine.

“The decision by the university to readmit the students, especially just before a critical judicial decision on the case, is a clear use of corporate power, and a breach, I think, of ethical citizenship,” Karla Holloway, an English professor and former dean of Humanities and Social Sciences, wrote to Duke’s black faculty caucus.

“Despite our judgments about the prosecutor’s own lack of principled conduct, it is not ours to become the judge or subvert the process,” she wrote…

Holloway was one of 88 faculty members at Duke who endorsed an ad last April in the campus newspaper that included anonymous quotes from students discussing racism and sexual assault on Duke’s campus. She said she receives angry, racist e-mails attacking her for being among the school’s critics.

We must not judge by adjudging them presumptively not guilty. Citing Stanley Crouch, Ace says Nifong’s in too deep now to do anything but take this to trial and hope that Karla Holloway ends up on the jury. He’ll never get past the directed verdict, buddy.

Update: Philip Moore on men’s uphill battle at TheThink.

Update: Durham Wonderland has the goods on Holloway. She’s a cartoon character.

Update: It’s big enough news to warrant its own thread, but there isn’t much to say except it’s about time. And that “60 Minutes” segment must really be something.

A late Friday afternoon announcement, too. The announcement that he was dropping the rape charges came on a Friday afternoon as well — the Friday right before Christmas weekend. Rat.

Update: Fred Thompson — yes, that Fred Thompson — unloads on Nifong. Click the crusty yet loveable prosecutor turned politico turned actor turned senator turned fake prosecutor to listen.

thompson.jpg

Update: Fox is reporting that Nifong met with the accuser yesterday — and served her with a subpoena compelling her to testify on February 5th. Was she … refusing to otherwise?

Breaking on Hot Air

Note from Hot Air management: This section is for comments from Hot Air's community of registered readers. Please don't assume that Hot Air management agrees with or otherwise endorses any particular comment just because we let it stand. A reminder: Anyone who fails to comply with our terms of use may lose their posting privilege.

Duke prof resigns committee posts over defendants’ return to campus

Great. Duke University is on the mend!

Topsecretk9 on January 12, 2007 at 3:10 PM

“The decision by the university to readmit the students, especially just before a critical judicial decision on the case, is a clear use of corporate power, and a breach, I think, of ethical citizenship,”

If she thinks it’s wrong to readmit the students before “a critical judicial decision”, isn’t it equally as wrong to suspend them before as well? Aren’t they innocent until proven guilty?

Just another man-hating feminist crawling out of the wood work

darwin on January 12, 2007 at 3:16 PM

I agree. This has to be a net gain for Duke U.

Hoodlumman on January 12, 2007 at 3:19 PM

Wow, I thought in this country you were supposed to be innocent until proven otherwise. Unless you’re a frat boy type who hired some lame brain stripper who accusses you of rape and you get the militant feminazi profs on your side. Yes, perhaps Duke will become a better place now that this cow is gone. However, she’ll probably turn up at Columbia or Harvard where she’ll be welcomed with open arms-arms that haven’t seen deodorant or a razor (females) in years.

Catie96706 on January 12, 2007 at 3:20 PM

You should read this article on Durham Wonderland about Holloway.

rightwingprof on January 12, 2007 at 3:21 PM

I agree. Definitely Duke is just another step toward being a legitimate university. “Professor activism” is as bad as judicial activism.

Shut up and teach! (to misquote those fabulously wonderful Dixie Chicks)

armyvet on January 12, 2007 at 3:22 PM

…Ace says Nifong’s in too deep now to do anything but take this to trial and hope that Karla Holloway ends up on the jury. He’ll never get past the directed verdict, buddy.

A directed verdict by who? Are these judges elected or appointed? If they are elected, I just hope that the judge doesn’t use the same electoral calculations that Nifong did to decide to proceed with prosecutions.

EFG on January 12, 2007 at 3:26 PM

Darwin, absolutely brother, you hit it on the head. If it’s wrong to re-admit them before judicial judgment then it was wrong to kick them out before judicial judgment. Ethical citizenship? What in the name of holy ape-hole does that mean? Another man-hating feminist mad because her annointed saint and victim has proven to be the liar of all liars. Once again feminism shows it’s all about a political agenda and nothing at all about truth and justice. It’s nice to see the religion of tolerance is tolerant of lies and legal malfeasance but intolerant of truth and fairness……………..

ritethinker on January 12, 2007 at 3:27 PM

rightwingprof – great post. Thanks for pointing it out.

I loved this quote from Holloway:

“justice inevitably has an attendant social construction. And this parallelism means that despite what may be our desire, the seriousness of the matter cannot be finally or fully adjudicated in the courts.”

In other words…mob justice, baby.

It’s the only way.

Slublog on January 12, 2007 at 3:27 PM

On another note, where are the reverends now when the girl “needs” them? Rev. Jackson and Rev Sharpton and all the others who came to her defense.

Everyone here knows she got a full-ride scholarship to North Carolina Central Univ right?

armyvet on January 12, 2007 at 3:28 PM

She must have studied the OJ case to come to her most informed position

dread pirate roberts on January 12, 2007 at 3:30 PM

I wish I had come up with the moniker “dread pirate roberts” Dang it! That’s a good one.

armyvet on January 12, 2007 at 3:32 PM

This summer, she wrote that “justice inevitably has an attendant social construction. And this parallelism means that despite what may be our desire, the seriousness of the matter cannot be finally or fully adjudicated in the courts.” Therefore, since the presumption of innocence “is neither the critical social indicator of the event, nor the final measure of its cultural facts,” judgments about the case “cannot be left to the courtroom.”

Judgement should be left to the Karla Holloways of the world, who would judge in advance, judge to be guilty and judge without evidence. Yeh, let’s put her in charge.

fogw on January 12, 2007 at 3:39 PM

Violins…….all over the country……tears….running in rivers……ballads….to insipire our young……the 22nd century will vindicate all professors everywhere!

Limerick on January 12, 2007 at 3:49 PM

From Ace:

Stanley Crouch has it right — Nifong is going to take this to trial in the hopes that 1) the judge won’t issue a directed verdict of innocence and 2) one angry black woman will refuse to acquit and hang the jury, thus providing Nifong with a claim of “cover” — hey, hung jury, right? Close enough!

The OJ verdict was bad enough, but if Nifong actually gets a hung jury from a Black juror I’ll vomit.

Theworldisnotenough on January 12, 2007 at 3:56 PM

Now, the next move should be for Holloway to start beating the pavement with her liberal resume.

rplat on January 12, 2007 at 4:00 PM

“Professor activism” is as bad as judicial activism.

It is far worse, in my opinion because it creates legions of brainwashed students who pull the lever for the democrats. These democrats, in turn put the activist on the bench.

jman on January 12, 2007 at 4:00 PM

Liberalism is, truly, a mental disorder. It is caused by prolonged exposure to college professors…

Jaibones on January 12, 2007 at 4:03 PM

Racism 101

Kini on January 12, 2007 at 4:05 PM

It sure sounds like Karla Holloways went to the same teaching school as Ward Churchill…….

PinkyBigglesworth on January 12, 2007 at 4:06 PM

Here’s a funny story from The Chronicle, Duke University’s paper: “Students Meet CCI With Indifference, Ignorance.” CCI is the Campus Culture Initiative, which was set up by Richard Brodhead as a way to ‘improve the campus culture’ as a result of the lacrosse case.

Students aren’t that excited about it, though:

Sophomore Anders Campbell, however, said changing campus culture would be difficult, in part because the problems the CCI aims to address extend beyond the University’s boundaries.

“A lot of the things they want to change seem to be less of a Duke culture thing than an American culture thing,” Campbell said.

Several students were more blunt, simply saying they knew absolutely nothing about the CCI or refusing to comment on the record.

“I think it’s bulls—,” said junior Mike Tikili.

This gives me hope. Students aren’t as dumb as the administrators who ‘lead’ them.

Slublog on January 12, 2007 at 4:16 PM

Link.

Slublog on January 12, 2007 at 4:16 PM

Ugh. Via a poster at Ace’s site – an email exchange between Holloway and the mother of one of the players.

Slublog on January 12, 2007 at 4:23 PM

You just gotta go to Duke.edu and read this dyke’s bio; she was educated on the altar of racial grievances, and elevated to professor at Duke as a sacrifice to the God Goddess of affirmative action.

Michigan State, indeed.

Jaibones on January 12, 2007 at 4:32 PM

“ethical citizenship”.

criminy.

daveintexas on January 12, 2007 at 4:32 PM

In the Army there are jokes about performance report bullet comments saying something like this, “his people follow him just to see where he will go.”

That’s how this was. I listened to a minute of it just to see where it was going. Can I please have that minute of my life back now? Please?

Oh my gosh, that was awful. I worked with interrogators many times and helped debrief even. This is where I would have taken a break and gone out of the room.

I would have admitted to anything after that.

armyvet on January 12, 2007 at 4:37 PM

I don’t get this. She signed a paper basically saying the boys were guilty, without a jury or trial or any real evidence; based on a drunken strippers word. Now she is quitting because “it is not ours to become the judge”. What am I missing?
I figure about 10,000 more of these cases and we will be on the right path or correcting our education problem.

right2bright on January 12, 2007 at 4:39 PM

sorry, wrong post above

armyvet on January 12, 2007 at 4:40 PM

Heh. I just did a quick journal search for her name (yeah, it’s a really slow day here at work) and found a paper she did for a journal. It’s full of trendy academic catchphrases and devoid of meaning – proof that academics should not be put under so much pressure to publish.

Slublog on January 12, 2007 at 4:45 PM

armyvet on January 12, 2007 at 4:40 PM

It works here to, I am sure sitting in thes profs class was the same as listening to that music on the other thread. And probably just as meaningful.

right2bright on January 12, 2007 at 5:01 PM

Wow, I thought in this country you were supposed to be innocent until proven otherwise

I thought you were guilty of doing something after you did it. You know simple reality. The government can not punish you for committing a crime, until they can prove you guilty.

Mark was here on January 12, 2007 at 5:15 PM

The professor’s leaving is simply an improvement of educational standards at Duke.

.

GT on January 12, 2007 at 5:20 PM

.

GT on January 12, 2007 at 5:20 P

M
oh if that were true. Unfortunately there are sure to be an endless supply of parasitical moonbats lining up to take her place on the tenure track.

billy on January 12, 2007 at 5:27 PM

“The appropriate presumption of innocence that follows the players, however the legal case is determined, is neither the critical social indicator of the event, nor the final measure of its cultural facts. Judgments about the issues of race and gender that the lacrosse team’s sleazy conduct exposed cannot be left to the courtroom.” – K. Holloways

She’s angry that they hired a stripper, so she’s ready with the torch, pitchfork and rope. Very sophisticated response professor!

forest on January 12, 2007 at 5:35 PM

M

billy on January 12, 2007 at 5:27 PM

Well, it is only a 0.0000000000000000000001% improvement but every bit helps.

.

GT on January 12, 2007 at 5:43 PM

Do you, GT, think it will be enough of an improvement to justify the 40k$ a year that Duke charges for an “education” in Western thought?

billy on January 12, 2007 at 5:50 PM

On Drudge, Nifong is asking to be recused. He wants out and is asking for the NC Attorney General to take the case.

Prediction: If the NC AG takes it, all charges will be dropped.

Nifong better start spending his days getting his defense team together, he is going to need it.

right2bright on January 12, 2007 at 6:07 PM

From your keyboard to G-d’s ears.

billy on January 12, 2007 at 6:10 PM

I live in NC, and this is one time that I would not mind the kids sueing NC for millions, and be glad to be one of the taxpayers to pay it. Not happy that I have to pay it because of a corrupt, lying, SOB of a DA, but happy to own up the to responsibility that a party so harmed should have redress.
And, to add to that…The black community was taken for a ride, shame on Nifong, shame on the black community for being strung along by another liberal. When will they ever learn, the liberals keep the blacks community around for their pleasure, democratic slaves.

right2bright on January 12, 2007 at 6:16 PM

No surprise here – she favors the French system, still folowed in Mexico and several European countries, and in small part even in Louisiana…

“guilty, until…” Heh, our progressives!

Entelechy on January 12, 2007 at 6:29 PM

You got kinda snippy with me on another thread for being too sacastic about this case but what other response is available?
Look at what we have here:
Three innocent guys worked damn hard to get into one of the top Univ. in the country. Skipping parties to boost that GPA a bit, spending a few Sat. mornings on an SAT prep course.
For what:
They get accepted and their families move heaven and earth to finance the 160k$ to get them a degree from Duke.
Who benefits:
a political hack w/ a law degree who takes the word of a troubled young woman as an opportunity to crush these young men under his heel. A heel magnified by the awesome power of the State of N. Carolina.
Who picks sides:
The national media sides with the government; the academic elite sides with the government. Nobodies, like you and I, side with these young men and their families through the internet.
Conclusion:Not much of one. These three families are shafted. Nifong may have to give up his position of power. Maybe. Duke, and its entrenched aristocracy, will continue on. The national media will move on to the latest “outrage”

This is the way republics are lost.

billy on January 12, 2007 at 6:42 PM

I say we send Jack McCoy after Nifong!!

Defector01 on January 12, 2007 at 6:43 PM

If Karla Halloway were truly conflicted, she’d simply resign her tenure.

Y’all should really go to Liestoppers and Durham In Wonderland to get all the scoop on Halloway and the other 87 of the infamous Duke Gang of 88.

SouthernGent on January 12, 2007 at 6:49 PM

perhaps Duke will become a better place now that this cow is gone.

She’s not gone. She just resigned from the CCI committee, not from her job at Duke.

Bad Penny on January 12, 2007 at 6:55 PM

How would you like your life’s legacy to be the rendering of your name into a verb?

“Dude, I got Nifong’d!”

We understand, man, we’ve all been Clinton’d.

Freelancer on January 12, 2007 at 6:58 PM

Hey, how about Fred Thompson for President?

Mark V. on January 12, 2007 at 6:58 PM

This perfect storm won’t reach category 5 until the accuser is arrested and charged for the false rape accusation.

The same people who wanted to lynch the innocent Duke kids will be rioting on behalf of the guilty accuser. Nifong will definitely want to be recused before it becomes his duty to press those charges because his constituents will lynch him.

Perchant on January 12, 2007 at 6:59 PM

billy on January 12, 2007 at 6:42 PM

Thanks for calling me out about being snippy, I was and apologize.
You are quite clever. In fact I buckled and I just now used your posting style on another thread (the one with the cute pic of the flag waving kid), the more I thought about it the more I realized I was angry at falling for your line, and not at you.

And I agree with your post. We are singing to the choir, and probably the most we get out of it is some “letting off of steam”.

One more thing to add, the black community is taken for another ride and made to look like the fools they are made to be (made by the democrats). I do not understand their thinking of being manhadled, ridiculed, hand-fed (government programs), educated in liberal run schools and their academics show it, and they still cling to their masters.

right2bright on January 12, 2007 at 7:01 PM

Draft Thompson for ’08!!

TBinSTL on January 12, 2007 at 7:03 PM

OOPS! MY BAD!! Bad penny has pointed out that Karla is not leaving Duke, but rather only resigning the committee. Of course, where else can she get paid for teaching stupidity?

bloggless on January 12, 2007 at 7:07 PM

That’s the real shame of it. Democrats have as their stock in trade, their will-to-power, the division of this nation by racial lines.
In my daily life, I don’t get along with anybody because I’m a grumpy old man. According to the Big Media, I don’t get along with anybody because I’m white and they are not.
Well, that just ain’t true.

billy on January 12, 2007 at 7:11 PM

Draft Thompson for ‘08!!

TBinSTL

Heck ya! I’m all for crowding the field with as many Aztlan-Republicans as possible so they can all fragment the illegal alien vote and Tancredo can walk away with the nomination.

Perchant on January 12, 2007 at 7:21 PM

Resigned her teaching position or committee position… no matter either way. She can be replaced in minutes from the army of English majors currently pulling gigs as telemarketers or selling fine cutlery door to door.

Before I get nasty responses, I too was an English major (albeit at a fine private Baptist university that starts with Bay and ends with lor). We learned all the same stuff. But we didn’t have someone trying to interject an anti-neocon, white guilt corollary into Beowulf.

SailorDave on January 12, 2007 at 7:22 PM

Stupidity? You mean this doesn’t sound exciting to you?

Our focus will be a consideration of the genre of the novel as a sustained narrative and the law as a construction of narratives. We will consider several novels that help us to understand the location of this tradition in African American literature. Our primary objective is to develop an appreciation and understanding the formal and theoretical dimensions of this genre as they have been developed against the legal subjects of race, citizenship, gender, rights, and power.

That’s the synopsis of one of the courses she teaches.

Trendy scholarship sucks.

Slublog on January 12, 2007 at 7:27 PM

“Bad penny has pointed out that Karla is not leaving Duke, but rather only resigning the committee.”

She’s using it as an excuse to leave the committee. She hated being on it because it took effort and her “valuable” time. She’s just a hypocrit.

darwin on January 12, 2007 at 7:28 PM

That’s mildly humorous, but I’m looking forward to voting for a Tancredo/Thompson or Thompson/Tancredo ticket in ’08. Watch for it.

Freelancer on January 12, 2007 at 7:34 PM

Slublog on January 12, 2007 at 4:45 PM

I was thinking along the same lines. This is an English teacher? I fear her students are not learning to express themselves with clarity.

mikeyboss on January 12, 2007 at 7:41 PM

You say recused, I say rescued…

tomato or tomahto

shooter on January 12, 2007 at 7:51 PM

Can someone help me here???? I think I have figured out what this means:
“justice inevitably has an attendant social construction. And this parallelism means that despite what may be our desire, the seriousness of the matter cannot be finally or fully adjudicated in the courts.” Therefore, since the presumption of innocence “is neither the critical social indicator of the event, nor the final measure of its cultural facts,” judgments about the case “cannot be left to the courtroom

Whitey did it.

bloggless on January 12, 2007 at 7:56 PM

I think I can help, I speak moonbat.

justice inevitably has an attendant social construction

What we call “right and wrong” or quaintly, justice, just ain’t so. Justice is the right of the powerful to inflict their will on the less powerful: Chumps like you and me.

And this parallelism means that despite what may be our desire, the seriousness of the matter cannot be finally or fully adjudicated in the courts.”

So far, because of those d%mn Republican judges, OUR version of justice, that is the right of the powerful to dominate the weak, cannot prevail. Yet.

Therefore, since the presumption of innocence “is neither the critical social indicator of the event, nor the final measure of its cultural facts,” judgments about the case “cannot be left to the courtroom

So if the true meaning of justice, that of the weak to be crushed by the strong, can not be achieved, yet, because of those d%mned Republicans,we (moonbats) shall have to achieve vengence by any other means possible.
And we shant concern ourselves with “innocence” or “guilt.”
All that matters now is weak or strong.

Or, “whitey did it” works too.

billy on January 12, 2007 at 8:30 PM

Right on, bloggless, I recognize this form of speech, as I occasionally belt it out to try to confuse others. It is essentially using complex words in a large number to hide the fact that you are really saying absolutely nothing. It’s fantastic, if you’re a logophile…trying to figure out 15 ways to say one thing. But totally useless if you’re communicating with folks on a daily basis. This chick is a HUGE blowing-hard phoney.

tickleddragon on January 12, 2007 at 8:46 PM

Great for Duke! Get rid of each and every one of these fakes, these fakes of education, send them packing or let get rid of themselves. However don’t stop with letting them resign from a committee post, let them resign their jobs and then let’s see where they end up. On the concorse of crap. Yapping to the wind, yapping to the wind!

NEMETI IN SYRACUSE on January 12, 2007 at 8:46 PM

Very astute translation, billy. Bang on.

tickleddragon on January 12, 2007 at 8:47 PM

Therefore, since the presumption of innocence “is neither the critical social indicator of the event, nor the final measure of its cultural facts,” judgments about the case “cannot be left to the courtroom.”

To quote Westley from Princess Bride, “Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.”

…so judgments cannot be left to the courtroom but… laws CAN be written by judges. Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Mojave Mark on January 12, 2007 at 9:14 PM

Another vivid reminder that Duke has lousy professors, and evidently quite a few – 88 actually signed and incredibly lame and immature racist screed. How many more wanted to sign but clutched? How much is tuition over there to pay for such abuse?
Duke University, hope you’re reading this : because of the way you handled this, you lost forever 6 potential students, that’s a fact, and every day the bile that comes out of Duke’s partisan and biased faculty continues, Duke will lose more potential students – they won’t even apply. Off the list. Bye bye. Think of all those Alumni who now get to hear, “Oh, you went to Duke? That’s the school that railroaded those lacrosse players, isn’t it?” Will make them so proud of their degree, won’t it?

naliaka on January 12, 2007 at 11:57 PM

Brodhead’s letter to the Duke community – it’s the blogger’s fault it’s all nasty: link thru http://www.duke.edu
Just as important, we must work together to restore the fabric of mutual respect. One of the things I have most regretted is the way students and faculty have felt themselves disparaged and their views caricatured in ongoing debates, often by individuals – sometimes anonymous – outside the Duke community. In the age of instantaneous worldwide media coverage, members of the lacrosse team were judged around the world on the basis of highly selective, highly prejudicial coverage last spring. A number of them were subjected to vile abuse. More recently, a group of Duke faculty members (including a number of African American faculty) have been widely attacked in blogs and emails – and in some cases personally attacked in highly repugnant and vicious terms – based on caricatured accounts of their statements on the lacrosse event.
A group of Duke faculty members ??? Just a random group or the infamous Group of 88 who didn’t give a hoot about due process for the entire lacrosse team? Sounds like they are used to saying all kinds of inflammatory unsubstantiated things and not getting called on it. Didn’t they help enable the “vile abuse” received by members of the team, just mentioned in the preceding sentence? Now they are the victims. At least, they are victims, too! Just like the players! All victims! Soo incomprehensible. No they’re not victims. They aren’t looking at years in prison for a crime they didn’t commit, are they?

naliaka on January 13, 2007 at 12:10 AM

Here’s a great quote from Nifong’s lawyer as quoted by ABC and the AP.

“He feels, as a result of the accusations against him, that he would be a distraction and he wants to make sure the accuser receives a fair trial,” Nifong’s attorney, David Freedman, told The Associated Press.

It looks like it’s already been determined that the stripper will be charged and at least Nifong is admitting that he wouldn’t persue a strong prosecution of the woman.

Perchant on January 13, 2007 at 1:03 AM

Perchant on January 13, 2007 at 1:03 AM

Not sure David Freedman has indicated charges against the woman here.
Rather I think that as Nifong’s attorney he is re-positioning her – from the prejudicial & sympathetic word victim to the more (ahem)prickly accuser.

Stephen M on January 13, 2007 at 3:29 AM

“Duke prof resigns committee posts over defendants’ return to campus”

She needs to be stripped of her tenure and FIRED! Her academic credentials (i.e., her “degrees”) should be REVOKED because she obviously neither honest enough nor smart enough to have legitimately earned them.

She should never be allowed to teach at any school ever again.

georgej on January 13, 2007 at 7:14 AM

I really hope the NC AG sends the files back to the Nifong with a big hearty EffU, ‘You started this mess, you finish it!”

Rich on January 13, 2007 at 11:48 AM

That’s the synopsis of one of the courses she teaches

Ok, I can’t even understand that synopsis… Time to pack my bag for Irak the army is coming to get me. ala jon cary

Gwillie on January 14, 2007 at 2:41 AM

Gwillie, let me give you a hand with that synopsis. It means, “whitey did it”.

bloggless on January 14, 2007 at 9:56 PM