Video: Impassioned, articulate case for abortion made by … Mitt Romney

posted at 1:31 pm on January 10, 2007 by Allahpundit

This was posted on YouTube yesterday. McCain staffer, do you think? Or one of Rudy’s boys?

He says his views have “evolved” in the past 12 years. Compare his point in the clip about not imposing his beliefs on people with this quote from an editorial published in 2005:

I am pro-life. I believe that abortion is the wrong choice except in cases of incest, rape, and to save the life of the mother. I wish the people of America agreed, and that the laws of our nation could reflect that view. But while the nation remains so divided over abortion, I believe that the states, through the democratic process, should determine their own abortion laws and not have them dictated by judicial mandate.

Handsome, poised, eloquent: he’s another George Clooney. If Clooney were slightly further to the left.

YouTube is really going to be hopping once Campaign ’08 starts in earnest, huh?

Update: Romney also supports the surge.

Comments

Maybe I’m just amoral… but I couldn’t care less.

I have a little spot in hell. It’s like Aspen, but it smells a little.

Ringmaster on January 10, 2007 at 1:34 PM

I’m sure there’s a bit of political opportunism in his “evolving” worldview.

That being said, he’s at least for enforcing our borders and against amnesty, which is more than I can say for McVain or Rudy. Mitt might not be the best candidate we can get, but I’d take him over the other two for that reason alone.

thirteen28 on January 10, 2007 at 1:35 PM

But he make the suit look good.

Kini on January 10, 2007 at 1:37 PM

I don’t like any of the candidates so far. They all suck.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 10, 2007 at 1:41 PM

Guiliani = Gun Control
McCain = Amnesty
Romney = Another ‘I surrender to the Dems’ (I got enough of that right now)

I like DeLay. He should run. He’s crooked, but no more than I’d expect him to be as a politican.

And I’ve ALWAYS liked Steve Forbes and Alan Keyes

Ringmaster on January 10, 2007 at 1:45 PM

I’m sure there was quite a bit of political opportunism in what he said back then as well. The main concern is…where does he really stand and what is just political convenience? A Republican version of Kerry won’t fly. If he flip flops on the social issues then how can be sure he won’t do so on other issues such as amnesty?

Jay on January 10, 2007 at 1:46 PM

I’m sort of agnostic regarding Romney, but the thing that bothered me the most is that last response…the proverbial turning the negative into a positive, like when you’re on job interviews and asked, “what are your weaknesses?”

Yeesh!

asc85 on January 10, 2007 at 1:46 PM

Romney’s an impressive guy but I don’t like him claiming to be the “true conservative” in the race. McCain’s actually pretty moderate, but he’s easily more conservative on the hot-button social issues than Romney or Giuliani.

Brainster on January 10, 2007 at 1:50 PM

I wish I was 35 and could run for President in ’08.

Troy Rasmussen on January 10, 2007 at 1:55 PM

Personally, I think abortion ought to be an issue handled on a state-by-state level, so I don’t have a problem with Romney’s stance, regardless of his personal beliefs on the issue.

aero on January 10, 2007 at 1:58 PM

AP

Clooney can’t move any further left; that statue of Lenin is blocking his way.

As for evolving views on abortion, mine did. Haven’t yours? For that matter, I don’t think I know anyone whose views on public policy have not changed significantly through their lives.

Jaibones on January 10, 2007 at 2:05 PM

People might also want to remember that as governor of CA, Ronald Reagan signed into law the bill that legalized abortion in that state, while later being against it as a presidential candidate.

thirteen28 on January 10, 2007 at 2:09 PM

To clarify my earlier comment…

I’m strongly pro-life, but I don’t use the abortion issue as a litmus test for presidential candidates. The president can’t really affect abortion except through judicial appointments. And as long as the candidate is someone I’m fairly certain will appoint strict constructionist judges, I’m not so concerned about the presidential candidate’s personal beliefs on the issue–they’re relatively moot when all is said and done.

aero on January 10, 2007 at 2:10 PM

Think about it this way… if he did pull a flip, at least it was from left to right…?

In all seriousness though, people can change, even going from pseudo-conservative RHINO to Ronald Reagan Republican. I’ve seen it happen in earnest. My younger brother for a long while was a hardcore, tin-foil-hat wearing, Bushitler/Halliburton cabal preaching, “Investigate 9/11″ True Believer Moonbat. All he needed was someone to show him how patently absurd he was being and how his theories made no sense and were wild-ass craziness dressed up like The Truth(tm).

Some people, the vast body of evidence to the contrary notwithstanding, are actually willing to be proven wrong. Could Mitt Romney have been one of them?

In any case, Mitt Romney seems to be the only one even pretending to value small government among the Big 3… Well, McCain is pretending in his disingenuous way, but after his “reform” bill, McCain dressing up like a Conservative is like McCain dressing up like Goldilocks.

Lehosh on January 10, 2007 at 2:16 PM

I see McCain and Romney as about the same level of RINO. How conservative can you be coming from the playground of Ted Kennedy and John Kerry? Being the Gov. of the welfare state of Taxachusettes doesn’t strike me as “conservative” credentials.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 10, 2007 at 2:17 PM

I’ve been reserving judgment on Mr. Romney until I have more information about him. I’m generally in agreement with his quoted position on abortion, and I don’t see evidence of any great flipflop here. He may well be “another George Clooney,” but I need a lot more evidence about the sort of person he is before I can draw that conclusion.

Bugler on January 10, 2007 at 2:20 PM

I don’t consider abortion a federal issue and as long as he doesn’t either I don’t care what his views on abortion are.

His 12 year old views are also not as important to me as what he has done recently and what he stands for now.

The big issues for me are, taxes, border security, war on terror. He’s going to have to prove he’s the best candidate in those areas to get my vote. Honestly as of right now between him, McCain, Rudy and even GWB I’d probably choose him. But that’s like picking which hammer to hit myself in the foot with…

bj1126 on January 10, 2007 at 2:21 PM

Reagan was governor of true-blue California… the playground of Nanci “share our wealth” Pelosi.

Lehosh on January 10, 2007 at 2:21 PM

Lehosh on January 10, 2007 at 2:21 PM

Plenty of time for him to attempt to change my mind. Just thus far I’m unimpressed.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 10, 2007 at 2:24 PM

Coming from taxachusetts, I can honesty say that Romney is a conservative and if most likely going to win the Republican primary.

Romney will be an incredible President, something this country has needed since Reagan.

Jared_MA on January 10, 2007 at 2:26 PM

If he changed his convictions through careful thought, there’s no problem.

If he lied then or now, that’s a big problem.

If he honestly changed his mind because he was sort of on the fence, and it’s just easier this way, I’m inclined to say that OK too. The abortion issue, while important to many of us, is not central to being POTUS. I’d like for him to give it a lot of thought, but he’s a busy guy and if he doesn’t expect to encounter one in his family I can see where thinking about it could be a low priority for spending his time on.

pedestrian on January 10, 2007 at 2:32 PM

“His abortion response sounded libertarian to me. I interpreted it as, “This is what I believe; but it doesn’t matter what I believe because I don’t think public officials should impose their beliefs on this issue on the people they represent.” Whether he’s personally pro-life or pro-choice doesn’t matter in that case. What matters is that he seems to have been relatively consistent in his belief that it’s up to the people of each state to decide the issue, not national-level politicians or judges. As president, he would either ignore the issue or try to kick it back to the states. If you like that, then Romney’s personal beliefs or evolutionary thinking process don’t matter. If you don’t like that, then you probably have a problem with it all the way around.

aero on January 10, 2007 at 1:58 PM”

aero, I think you are exactly correct. I’m not really sure where people have a problem with this “will of the people/states rights” thing. Romney’s statements are similar when he is speaking about Homo-marriage which should come as no surprise. Let the people vote. Keep these decisions away from the judges (especially in Mass). He is also very outspoken against illegal immigration. He is closer, by a mile, to the mold of our founding fathers then McCain and Rudy without question. He has been very quiet about the war because he’s not an idiot. I’m looking forward to hearing more from him about that as we move closer to ’08. For Republicans the only question about Mitt should be “can he win?” Yes, I’d rather have a McCain in there then any Democrat but its quite a catch 22. With the stakes as high as they are at this moment in history is it too costly to have an open-borders, liberal republican in office again? Is it time to be brave enough to vote for a less elitist Republican?

Zetterson on January 10, 2007 at 2:36 PM

Well done Zetterson.

Jared_MA on January 10, 2007 at 2:37 PM

aero on January 10, 2007 at 2:10 PM

That’s exactly how I interpreted his position as well. But to me this means he hasn’t changed his position on abortion as he was always against it, but he has fundamentally changed his position on the role and scope of the government. This seems much more significant and potentially troubling than if he just changed his position on one issue.

JaHerer22 on January 10, 2007 at 2:50 PM

Romney caught that clip, and tried to get ahead of it, on the 700 Club,no less. Mitt’s cleverer than we think.

Kid from Brooklyn on January 10, 2007 at 2:52 PM

Romney will have to make a very public statement regarding his true position on abortion in the coming months/year – the MSM will no doubt push it. If that statement is less than unequivocal, don’t count on the religious right showing up in 2008.

jeffNWV on January 10, 2007 at 2:53 PM

Romney had to bide his time here, in the bluest of blue states, because it became apparent from day 1 that the 80% dem state legislature was not going to cut him an inch of slack.

He is already missed by us lonely Mass republicans!

He is conservative. He is pro-states rights. He is anti-judicial-activist.

He is presidential!

LonelyMassRepublican on January 10, 2007 at 2:56 PM

Yeah, well, the SCOTUS mindset is not to be taken lightly. Bush is a superstar there. Our recently departed Gerald Ford was an epic disaster, but he knew what he was doing. It wasn’t an accident, like Bush 41 and Souter. He agrees with Stevens’s Mao-Left position on religion and government, like some others here…

So, while I really don’t care what Mitt’s personal opinion is on abortion, I certainly care about his judicial philosophies, more than most other issues. And if he wants the SCOTUS out of our lives, all the better.

Jaibones on January 10, 2007 at 3:07 PM

He is already missed by us lonely Mass republicans!

He is presidential!

LonelyMassRepublican on January 10, 2007 at 2:56 PM

Both of you?

thirteen28 on January 10, 2007 at 3:13 PM

1994???……..please

You people are reachin’.

Beginning as recently as 2002, I’ve personally done a complete 180 in regards to my political beliefs….changing from life-long liberal to conservative which includes my stance on abortion, gay “rights”, affirmative action and even my previously long-held disdain for Ronald Reagan (for which I am now extremely ashamed of).

People can and do change.

The Ugly American on January 10, 2007 at 3:16 PM

Hello.

The Ugly American on January 10, 2007 at 3:20 PM

Other than his statements about affirmative action for women and minorities (which were actually very mild considering what other people say about it), I agree with most of what Romney said in his debate.

More than anything, he came across as a libertarian that believes his personal views should not be forced on the people of the United States (which I appreciate from a political candidate, even if I agree with most of his personal views).

I also think it might be nice to have someone in charge that understands economics. He took an olympics that was $400 million in the hole and turned it into a $100 million surplus. He took MA that was $3 billion in the hole and turn it into a budget surplus without (as far as I’ve been able to find) raising taxes.

It’s still to early for me to have made a final decision (especially when all of the players haven’t declared yet), but, the more I read/learn about Romney, the more respect I have for him.

JadeNYU on January 10, 2007 at 3:28 PM

I dunno, I’m not just not feeling it with Romney.

Halley on January 10, 2007 at 3:34 PM

Allah, other than abortion … what else causes you to make this comment? On every other issue I’ve seen, it seems to me that Romney is pure conservative.

Gregor on January 10, 2007 at 3:42 PM

Just to make note. Romney pulled in more $ in one day then McCain has in all his days to date. “Romney raised $6.5 million in a single day with the help of nearly 400 high-profile volunteers in 40 states making phone calls.” -Novak political report.
McCain has raised just over $3 mil so far.

Zetterson on January 10, 2007 at 4:05 PM

How about you go back to attacking the people that are doing wrong instead of attacking a guy that changed his mind for the better. When he is pro-abortion you attack him for it; when he is pro-life you attack him for that. What, you don’t think 12 years is enough time for him to change his mind?

Cary on January 10, 2007 at 4:11 PM

Let’s draft Teddy Roosevelt……Teddy……Teddy

seejanemom on January 10, 2007 at 4:14 PM

Jaibones on January 10, 2007 at 2:05 PM

The whole point of this article is to embarrass Romney. So what, his views changed. Every evolving maturing deep thinker changes his views. I have, my friends have. Apparently, changing ones outlook is seen as political opportunism by AP. So, AP has your views on muslims changed since 9/11??? Mine have.

Andy in Agoura Hills on January 10, 2007 at 4:26 PM

Vote for me. I’ll leave everybody alone.

Doghouse on January 10, 2007 at 5:40 PM

Actually, Romney simply brought his views on abortion into line with the official stance of his religion, unlike Harry Reid, who professes to be a Mormon, but is about as Mormon as the pope is Buddhist.

Doghouse on January 10, 2007 at 5:42 PM

Andy in Agoura Hills on January 10, 2007 at 4:26 PM

We can always return the favor.

Ouch – this one is especially devastating (click the link to see who wrote it):

“When Congress enacted immigration reform laws that forbade local governments from barring employees from cooperating with the INS, Mayor Rudy Giuliani filed suit against the feds in 1997. He was rebuffed by two lower courts, which ruled that the sanctuary order amounted to special treatment for illegal aliens and were nothing more than an unlawful effort to flaunt federal enforcement efforts against illegal aliens. In January 2000, the Supreme Court rejected his appeal, but Giuliani vowed to ignore the law.”

thirteen28 on January 10, 2007 at 6:01 PM

So, Mitt Romney had a relative die from an illegal abortion?? Questions need to be asked!! Was that truth or politics he stated??

gary on January 10, 2007 at 6:34 PM

Abortion, gay rights, when will we get to what really matters: how does he look in a bathing suit on a Hawaiian beach?

But hey, isn’t the presidential sparring at least moving forward a generation or two? Now we’re talking about what happened 17 years ago, instead of 40. That’s progress.

Hack Ptui on January 10, 2007 at 7:41 PM

Oops, make that 12 years ago… Cut me some slack, I was public-schooled.

Hack Ptui on January 10, 2007 at 7:43 PM

You guys are just plain wrong. Romney is more conservative then Mccain, Juliani or Bush. You are comparing someone who was dragged to the left because of which state he was in VS. people who are naturally RINOs of thier own accord.

Resolute on January 10, 2007 at 8:35 PM

Malkin for President, KP for Veep(rounding out the ticket), MKH for Sec of State, Bethany for Pres Sec, and AP for Sec Def.

- The Cat

MirCat on January 10, 2007 at 8:52 PM

Did this video convince anyone that liberals like McCain and Gulliani are more conservative than Romney? I’m wary of yankees in general, but given the 2008 field of RINO’s I think that Romney looks pretty good.

Great point about Reagan being from true blue California.

bigbeas on January 10, 2007 at 11:13 PM

gary on January 10, 2007 at 6:34 PM

Depending on your point of view, he had two relatives die from the illegal abortion – the baby and the abortee. No matter your position, the only winners are the medical doctors who perform the “procedures”.

In earlier times, these same doctors would have been proud members of the SS working hard to preserve the master race for Furhrer, Reich, and Volk.

No questions needed – he is a typical politician who has become intoxicated with being the right’s flavor of the month as Obama is the left’s flavor of the month.

There’s a while left before the real election campaigning begins – that’ll be a circus to see.

Emmett J. on January 11, 2007 at 12:06 AM

Romney’s staff leaked this. It’s clearly a “get out in front of the issue” leak, he goes on HH and explains his “evolution”

puts it behind him and onward and upward. He is a great candidate, he took some serious heat here in ma. but stood up for the social and fiscal and foreign policy stuff that is pure porterhouse for the base. i like mitt.

coondawg on January 11, 2007 at 8:42 AM

These comments just depress me.

So it doesn’t matter what his position is on destroying unborn children in the womb?

How easily we adapt to horror as long as it doesn’t “affect” us. And if it does, we justify it.

An unborn child has no voice. It’s just as well, because you guys aren’t listening anyway.

Rightwingsparkle on January 11, 2007 at 11:31 AM