Video: Hannity names Spicoli, er, “enemy of the state”

posted at 10:41 am on January 10, 2007 by Allahpundit

Maybe he’s being ironic. Lampooning the left’s image of him as a Rethuglikkkan demagogue, as it were.

Let’s hope.

Otherwise, this is like Kos hosting a segment called “Crimes Against the People” or a weekly roll call of contractors killed in Iraq entitled “Good Riddance”: even if you’re inclined to see things in those terms, for god’s sake, be minimally mindful of your opponents’ worst stereotypes about you so as to avoid them.

Comments

What a buffoon. I’ve never like Hannity’s act much, but he is literally characaturing himself here. Enemy of the State?

carlitos on January 10, 2007 at 10:46 AM

I still can’t decide if I like Hannity. I know someone who used to work close to him on his old radio show and says he wasn’t the down-to-earth guy he portrays. Also he used to tear Zell Miller a new one when he was running for governor of Georgia, even though Zell was a conservative Democrat and clearly a good man. Hannity was a shill for the republicans, not a conservative.

He’s not being ironic; he’s been infected by the Olberdouche

RW Wacko on January 10, 2007 at 10:47 AM

Now the NSA is going to hunt Sean Penn down with their magic satellites! Hopefully Gene Hackman will be able to save him.

frankj on January 10, 2007 at 10:51 AM

I think “Enemy of the State” is a good way to describe people like Sean Penn and the others that were up on the board (Fidel, Barbara, Hugo)… He might not have the body count of Kim Jong Il or the box office of Michael Moore, but Sean Penn really does hate this country, the President, and all people who disagree with him. He thinks that we’re responsible for genocide on a massive scale, the halt of scientific progress in America, and the destruction of the Earth by means of abusing natural resources. Just read over his open letter to Matt Parker and Trey Stone regarding Iraq to see this nutjob’s mentality.

Savage on January 10, 2007 at 10:52 AM

I wish Fox had given a show to Mark Steyn instead. Hannity already had H&C and a radio show–we have lots of opportunities to hear from him if we want to know what he thinks. Steyn, on the other hand…I can never get enough of him!

aero on January 10, 2007 at 10:54 AM

Not a big Hannity fan either but you’ve got to admit … Penn is a moron’s moron. Loved the way they carictured him in ‘Team America’.

thirteen28 on January 10, 2007 at 10:58 AM

I think Hannity is much too arrogant and self-important to be capable of self-parody. This, however, has potential.

JaHerer22 on January 10, 2007 at 11:09 AM

I listen to Rush and the Hannity. Whereas Rush never grows tiresome (at least to me), Hannity sounds more and more repetitive the more I listen to him. Maybe the better way to put it is that he is very ‘talkingpointy’.

Agreed, this is taking from the left’s bag o’ tricks. What the question is, is such a thing a good move. I’m tired by conservatives (mostly elected officials) playing the straight and narrow and getting nothing for it.

Darksean on January 10, 2007 at 11:12 AM

Sean Penn and his great Katrina safari. Complete with personal assistants and photographer. Enemy of the state? He’s too wrapped up in himself to be much of a threat. IDIOT of the state is more like it.

Guardian on January 10, 2007 at 11:18 AM

I’m not a fan at all of Sean so I missed his little diatribe on Sunday night. However, I also loved the treatment Penn was given in “Team America, World Police”. I can’t even watch “Fast Times At Ridgemont Hight” anymore because everytime it pops up on tv all I can think of is this fool giving us his political opinions.
I would venture a guess that Sean is not what he pretends to be as well. His fakieness (is that even a word?) comes through loud and clear.

Catie96706 on January 10, 2007 at 11:20 AM

This is such a rip-off of Olberman’s “Worst Person in the World”, without the ironic part.

How cringe inducing.

honora on January 10, 2007 at 11:23 AM

That’s why I soured on Hannity – not much of a “thinker.” More of a “talker.”

Good Lt on January 10, 2007 at 11:24 AM

For the most part I like SH, but sometimes he seems a little too shrill. But in this case I agree with him, Penn is an enemy of the conservative values of this country.

I don’t think he should care what the left’s vision of him is. He is speaking to a conservative mindset and reaches a fair portion of us across the spectrum. And as long as he espouses conservatism, the liberals will always parody him.

csdeven on January 10, 2007 at 11:25 AM

Hannity? Meh. Give me Savage, unfiltered.

Kid from Brooklyn on January 10, 2007 at 11:26 AM

I wouldn’t take this too seriously, AP.

CP on January 10, 2007 at 11:27 AM

Hyperbole for ratings.

I get frustrated with Sean because he’s smart enough to catch some people in their illogic, but often seems to get angry and attack personally instead.

mikeyboss on January 10, 2007 at 11:27 AM

Ahh,Ya gotta love Sean Penn.

For starters he’s one of the most educated artistes in Hollywood. Although he didn’t graduate, he did attend community college. For that alone, high school dropouts like Barbra Streisand and George Clooney bow to his superior intellect.

Yeah, he was once charged with Felony Assault on his wife.
Sounds bad, but it was mitigated by the fact that his wife at the time was Madonna.

Then there was his “Gilligan 3 hour tour” in New Orleans after Katrina.

Frankly all of us in America are fortunate that Penn can continually demonstrate, evidently without a modicum of embarassment, his innate ability to impersonate a wife beating mildly retarded midget AHole.

there it is on January 10, 2007 at 11:32 AM

Dispite what a Rethuglikkkan might be?

Penn “Spicoli”, is a emeny of the state. A state of intelligence, for which he doesn’t seem to have any.
As grandma used to say, “God bless the mark”.

Penn as the Terminally Angry Man, definitely! Anger management anyone?

Hannity is more like the Jerry Springer of Talk given that the shouting matches on his show are predictable and nauseating.

But the point? Spot On!

Kini on January 10, 2007 at 11:33 AM

Heh, I’m guessing this thread will not get linked from DU, seeing as it turned into a criticism of Hannity.

I can’t say I like his particular brand of diatribe. He is as predictable as a game of tic-tac-toe. Penn is a douche, but Hannity is a boorish, talking point on two legs.

Theworldisnotenough on January 10, 2007 at 11:37 AM

Kid from Brooklyn – amen.

Good Lt on January 10, 2007 at 11:40 AM

Eh, there are enough people here supporting the idea that it is still embarrassing, and will probably get linked somewhere.

That’s why I soured on Hannity – not much of a “thinker.” More of a “talker.”

Exactly.

DaveS on January 10, 2007 at 11:44 AM

Like using a microscope to beat someone with rather than accurately diagnosing their disease.

Lighten up, Sean. (Both.)

profitsbeard on January 10, 2007 at 11:46 AM

I remember the Phoebe Cates swimming pool scene. penn’s scenes are rather vague.

allie on January 10, 2007 at 11:52 AM

God I hate Sean Hannity. F’ing clown.

Enrique on January 10, 2007 at 11:57 AM

Yeah, he was once charged with Felony Assault on his wife.

there it is on January 10, 2007 at 11:32 AM

Comedy freakin’ GOLD!

ReubenJCogburn on January 10, 2007 at 11:58 AM

Funny, some of the DUers have the same opinions as those expressed in this thread. Some still remain oh-so-predictable though:

When Sean Penn was pulling people out of the post-Katrina muck in New Orleans, what was Hannity doing? Telling Shepard (sp) Smith to get some “perspective.” Hannity speaks for himself and the tiny percentage of looney tune Amurkins who think the Fascist in Chief is doing a great job.

Clueless. heh.

lan astaslem on January 10, 2007 at 12:00 PM

Hannity is absolutly correct about penn head.

davy on January 10, 2007 at 12:09 PM

Hannity is a tool. It’s like he has no brain of his own. The only thing I’ve ever seen him disagree with the president on is the border. It’s embarrassing as a conservative to watch him act like a clown every night on his show.

matthewbit07 on January 10, 2007 at 12:18 PM

Sean Hannity > Sean Penn. Not even close.

As far as I can tell Hannity is an American and patriot. The same cannot be said for Kos, Olberman or Penn. They may be from here but they don’t believe in America or patriotism.

“Enemy of the State” is much more limited in its judgement than “Crimes against the People” or “Worst Person in the World”.

Too many even here fear in making judgements of others or at least making them publically known. There is nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade, calling Islam a religion of terrorist,etc.; Penn, Kos and Olberman are scum, move along. Hannity is not.

MarkB on January 10, 2007 at 12:22 PM

And how many people did he pull out? From what I’ve heard he only managed to “rescue” himself and he dang near didn’t pull that off.

Guardian on January 10, 2007 at 12:24 PM

Sean Hannity – Mouthpiece of the State.

GregH on January 10, 2007 at 12:27 PM

“Hey, I’ve been to Iraq ya know!” – Sean Penn, F.A.G.

Tony737 on January 10, 2007 at 12:28 PM

Hannity is an entertainer, folks. He gets paid for ratings. Same as Rush, Savage, Jerry Doyle, or your local talk show host. He’s not a journalist, so hyperbole and sensationalism are not out of line. I’m not among his great fans, and he seems to carry water for the (R) party a bit more than he should, but on balance his message is accurate.

That said, Sean Penn never misses a chance to bad-mouth the U.S., he’s an oxygen thief. I have no problem with Hannity’s characterization.

Freelancer on January 10, 2007 at 12:32 PM

Yeah, Hannity seems to be all over the place these days. Maybe too much. I actually enjoy seeing Michelle Malkin, KP, and Laura Ingraham, guest-hosting, O’Reilly Factor or Hannity and Colmes.

kiakjones on January 10, 2007 at 12:37 PM

IDIOT of the state is more like it.

Guardian on January 10, 2007 at 11:18 AM

So many great quotes to “heh”, so little time. Great thread = love the Hannity-bashing = love the Hannity bit itself = love the Penn bitch-slapping.

honora, you’re usually better than this, endorsing America’s Biggest, Nastiest Douchebag. You are bringing up the rear, as it were…

Jaibones on January 10, 2007 at 12:59 PM

I like Hannity when he’s on point. But he goes too far with the liberals vs. conservatives BS.

However, I declare that bashing celebrities be adopted as America’s new pasttime!

budorob on January 10, 2007 at 1:01 PM

Budorob I second that. All in favor?

KelliD on January 10, 2007 at 1:06 PM

Wow…This is like group therapy. I didn’t reallize there were so many that felt as I do about Hannity. I have pretty much given up watching H & C because both are so far from the center.

brtex on January 10, 2007 at 1:08 PM

The only criticism i have for it is that it looks like a clone of Olberdouche’s worst person schtick.

Other than that it was right on the mark.

Sean Penn is a traitor and Hannity is the only one who has the backbone to stand up and say it.

Scot on January 10, 2007 at 1:10 PM

Hannity is too in-your-face-self-righteous IMHO.

Here’s hoping Hannity vs. Penn gets more entertaining than Trump vs. Rosie.

infidel4life on January 10, 2007 at 1:13 PM

Hannity is at his best when he sticks to substantive arguments; such as economic freedom, illegal immigration, and the GWOT. When he goes into RNC shill mode, though, I can’t stand him. At times, it sounds like he argues for arguments’ sake.

Kid from Brooklyn on January 10, 2007 at 1:30 PM

Scot on January 10, 2007 at 1:10 PM

I wouldn’t say Hannity is the only one who has the backbone to stand up and call Penn a traitor. Many others have done it as well … and it doesn’t take that much backbone to state the obvious.

allie on January 10, 2007 at 11:52 AM

Is it possible to forget that scene?

thirteen28 on January 10, 2007 at 1:32 PM

I can handle about 5 minutes of Hannity when he is in “rant” mode. He needs to take a chill pill, stick to the issues he knows best, and be honest with himself and his public. I can’t help but think he is “pimping” himself for a job at the GOP or White House.

Also, I like what is mentioned above. Perhaps “Idiot of the State” would be a better name for this section.

Wuptdo on January 10, 2007 at 1:41 PM

While people such as Hannity occasionally serve a purpose and have their points now and then, the bottom line is that they are generally people who have never had any skin in the game,and ultimately whose bottom line is their own fame and fortune. This is the danger in investing too much in celebrities as the face of your beliefs.

As to the likes of Sean Penn and others, why does anyone care what they say do or think? As far such people go, I would be none the less, and none the poorer if I never saw or heard from or about any of them again. Way too much time and energy are invested in publicizing and carrying on about the words and actions of the jackass of the moment.

tomk59 on January 10, 2007 at 1:41 PM

Glenn Beck is who I watch for my one hour of t.v. per day.

Troy Rasmussen on January 10, 2007 at 1:44 PM

People may have called Penn a traitor 2 or 3 years ago, but they’re not doing it these days. And the reason they’re not doing is evidenced by AllahPundit’s post and this thread.

Scot on January 10, 2007 at 2:55 PM

Only idiots give any credibility to celebs and their un-informed opinions.

Someone may enjoy several characters that Penn has played, but that doesn’t give his personal opinion anymore credibility than anyone else’s opinion.

There are a lot of moonbats out there who think Penn is cool and tough because his characters are. But his personal opinion on beating up anyone except a girl or a reporter is worthless.

csdeven on January 10, 2007 at 3:16 PM

With a few exceptions, Fox News’s programming if fast becoming unwatchable.

Brit Hume’s show is about the only one I can tolerate anymore.

The Ugly American on January 10, 2007 at 3:43 PM

DUUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuDE.

Don’t dog pile on FOX…they are all we have. But I admit, even I had to stop listening to “waterboy” during the election cycle. SOMETIMES too much of a Kool-aid drinker for even ME.

seejanemom on January 10, 2007 at 4:28 PM

That’s why I soured on Hannity – not much of a “thinker.” More of a “talker.”

Good Lt on January 10, 2007 at 11:24 AM

Well said. Though I think I agree with him on most issues, his delivery is often shrill and rhetorical IMO.

Yakko77 on January 10, 2007 at 5:51 PM

It is unfortunate that Sean Penn is in movies that I would really like to see. I would pay to see these movies – but not with Sean Penn in them.

If we are really lucky maybe Sean Penn will go with Cindy Sheehan to Venezuela – permanently. If money for the one way ticket for those two is a problem we could take a collection.

omegaram on January 10, 2007 at 11:15 PM

All old-school media is “broken” IMHO. When any interviewer, any (O’Reiley, H&C, Glenn Beck, et al) ask a question and get an obviously fraudulent response e.g. US Forces killed 600k Iraqi civilians and does not challenge that statement I lose any and all respect for the interviewer (and interviewee).

The only way to combat stupidity in the masses re Iraq or GWOT action is to point out blatant lies and those that spread them, not move on to the next softball question regardless of the answers.

Most of the country relies on broadcast/cable TV news and/or newspapers for their information, and when these sources are all corrupted with bias and falsities then the end result is the world we currently live in.

Neo on January 11, 2007 at 12:23 AM

Vanity & Clones!

Sean Hannity – Mouthpiece of the State.

GregH on January 10, 2007 at 12:27 PM

…then you must think the Executive is the State…

Entelechy on January 11, 2007 at 12:28 AM

Allah, I have to disagree with you here. To hell with what the libs think of you or say about you. I like sticking it in their face. Irony is a terrific way to drive them out of what is left of their mind…..

ritethinker on January 11, 2007 at 1:14 PM