Yet another Saddam death video hits the Internet

posted at 4:39 pm on January 8, 2007 by Allahpundit

I hate when Rusty scoops me. Two things: First, that black cloth they put around his neck to prevent the rope from cutting him obviously didn’t work. And second, if you thought the Sunnis were grouchy before, wait until this starts showing up on their message boards.

Is there any part of this process that the Shiites didn’t record? How long before we see video of witnesses posing next to the body with their pants off?

The clip is short but gruesome so here’s your official content warning. Pass on it if you’re squeamish.

Update: Newsweek wonders why, oh why, the enemy is winning the infowar, particularly when all they offer is video of bombings, beheadings, and brutality. Partial answer: because bombings, beheadings, and brutality appeal to their audience.

What the insurgents understand better than the Americans is how Iraqis consume information. Tapes of beheadings are stored on cell phones along with baby pictures and wedding videos. Popular Arab satellite channels like Al-Jazeera and Al-Arabiya air far more graphic images than are typically seen on U.S. TV—leaving the impression, say U.S. military officials, that America is on the run. At the extreme is the Zawra channel, run by former Sunni parliamentarian Mishan Jibouri, who fled to Syria last year after being accused of corruption. (Jibouri says he’s being persecuted for political reasons, and can return to Iraq whenever he wants.) Since November the channel has been spewing out an unending series of videos showing American soldiers being killed in sniper and IED attacks. The clips are accompanied by commentary, often in English, admonishing Iraqis to “focus your utmost rage against the occupation.” Among Sunnis and even some Shiites, Zawra has become one of the most popular stations in Iraq. “I get e-mails from girls in their 20s from Arab countries; some of them are very wealthy,” Jibouri boasts. “Some offer to work for free, some offer money.”

The latest trend in jihadist propaganda? Blogging, of course.

Comments

Best I’ve ever seen Saddam. Dead and laid out on a table.

zerodamage on January 8, 2007 at 4:45 PM

Too bad they didn’t cut Saddam’s head off and put it on a pike for all to see and to serve as a warning to all despots and terrorists.

Morden: What do you want?

Vir: I’d like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike – as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. I want to look up into your lifeless eyes and wave . . . like this.

Can your associates arrange this for me, Mr. Morden?

GT on January 8, 2007 at 4:46 PM

I was having problems posting comments on the Jawa site, so I will post here instead- Though Im no forensics expert, I am a highly trained CSI TV show watcher and couch potato- and in my expert opinion, Saddam’s death must have been instantaneous. Looks like it damn near took his head off.

But it should quiet the critics regarding any inefficiency of the killing.

BelchSpeak on January 8, 2007 at 4:51 PM

Not merely dead. He’s really most sincerely dead.

JammieWearingFool on January 8, 2007 at 4:53 PM

I get your point. But I wonder if those Sunnis that will complain about this leveled the same complaint about the snuff films of Nick Berg, Eugene Armstrong, and others.

thirteen28 on January 8, 2007 at 4:53 PM

Morden: What do you want?

Can your associates arrange this for me, Mr. Morden?

GT on January 8, 2007 at 4:46 PM

NICE! Best. Quote. Ever. Babylon 5 is awesome!

lorien1973 on January 8, 2007 at 4:54 PM

So basically what thirteen28 is saying is, “Who gives a sh*t?” And I’ll 2nd that.

Editor on January 8, 2007 at 4:57 PM

Editor on January 8, 2007 at 4:57 PM

Not quite. I can understand the point that AP was trying to make (or at least I think) that turning Saddam’s execution into a series of videos that could comprise a snuff film entitled “Revenge of the Shiites” is going to make a political settlement all that much more difficult (nevermind the fact that it was a million miles away from that before, and it’s a million and one miles away now …).

But my main point is that a large number of Sunnis don’t have a leg to stand on with regard to complaints about these videos, since they wrote the book on making much worse stuff in the same genre.

thirteen28 on January 8, 2007 at 5:01 PM

Cry us a friggin’ river.

Best Regards,
Those Indonesian Schoolgirls

Kid from Brooklyn on January 8, 2007 at 5:02 PM

Lorien and GT… Glad to see Bab5 lives on! I always liked Mira Furlan’s quote… “Only one man has survided a direct encounter with a Membary warship. He is behind me, YOU are in front of me. If you value your lives, be some where else.” – Ambasodore Delen

Over Five Hundred Thousand bodies have been found in Mass Graves in Iraq. Saddam is responsable. I think the families deserve to see Saddam’s Corpse.

Mazztek on January 8, 2007 at 5:05 PM

Another for Lorien1973

“Okay, we made a mistake. I’m sorry. Here, open my wrist.”
“Centauri don’t have major arteries in their wrist.”
“Of course we don’t. What do you think, I’m stupid?”
– Londo and Garibaldi in Babylon 5:”Midnight on the Firing Line”

allie on January 8, 2007 at 5:05 PM

Not quite.

thirteen28 on January 8, 2007 at 5:01 PM

Okay, so I’ll first it.

Who gives a sh*t? I mean, really, we’re not dealing with rational animals here and we need to stop thinking, talking and acting like we are with either the sunni or shiite. That funeral video just show a bunch of savages. That crap wouldn’t fly here because it’s indecent as hell. These people are indecent by nature.

That’s not to say they can’t be, but we have to obliterate them first – it’s the only way. Enough with this, “Oh, the shia are offending the sunni.”

Editor on January 8, 2007 at 5:10 PM

Nice rope burn.

flipflop on January 8, 2007 at 5:12 PM

He has a pretty nasty wound on his face. Post hanging abuse or rope induced? Other than that I would say he went instantly and painlessly which was far far better than he deserved..

Guardian on January 8, 2007 at 5:13 PM

I’m positively gob-smacked with heartache here.

Not.

Misha I on January 8, 2007 at 5:15 PM

Looks like subcutaneous fat protruding from the cut on his neck. The fall was pretty high, he must have died instantly.

Ropera on January 8, 2007 at 5:20 PM

What most in the West don’t have a clue about is that this Sunni-Shiite shit has be going on for almost as long as Islam has been around. No amount of patty-cake diplomatic bs is going to make them “beat swords into plowshares.” The only things that provides an interlude is someone like Saddam who is more brutal and murderous than the rest of the barbarians. That is where Bush screwed up. Bush never travelled/live abroad or he would know from experience that the U.S. is the freaking oddity in world history. The Muslim heart is not inclined toward democracy, power-sharing, dialogue or whatever the Iraq Study Group thinks we should do to solve this problem. I vote for leaving them to their murderous worldview and all that flows from it.

Theseus on January 8, 2007 at 5:20 PM

Where did that obama thread go? it was there for a minuet.

R D on January 8, 2007 at 5:30 PM

All well and good – isn’t it now time to move on to bigger things?

This constant obsession borders on voyeurism which does not bode well for our having the higher moral ground.

I know that they have no such scruples – however, there is a market maximum on everything. This subject , I would suggest, has played out.

Emmett J. on January 8, 2007 at 5:33 PM

When it reaches the amount of times we’ve had to endure The View, then it might be too much.

R D on January 8, 2007 at 5:38 PM

R D on January 8, 2007 at 5:38 PM

Might be a good trade off – no more Saddam coverage in exchange for no View of Rosie.

Emmett J. on January 8, 2007 at 5:43 PM

Meh, this is the result of the information age. If you let someone into the morgue with a cell-phone, the video will be around the world in 5 minutes. Not that I like the idea of Saddam and his thugs being painted as martyrs by Baathists and preening jihadist shills like George Galloway.

spmat on January 8, 2007 at 5:44 PM

I agree with your basic point, but I think you’re overstating things.

We could have nuked Fallujah and we’d still have the moral high ground over the sick monsters who are destabilizing Iraq. Our biggest problem is that they aren’t afraid of us.

sandberg on January 8, 2007 at 5:56 PM

Well, alrighty then.

seejanemom on January 8, 2007 at 6:00 PM

Great shot…

x95b10 on January 8, 2007 at 6:06 PM

Not soon enough.

Tim Burton on January 8, 2007 at 6:11 PM

Y’all go click that last linky AP left up there that says

BLOGGING

GO THERE. Harass them. Make yourself feel better.

Where do you find this sh*t Allah?

seejanemom on January 8, 2007 at 6:44 PM

sandberg on January 8, 2007 at 5:56 PM

I love when someone gets it and can cut through the muck right to the core of the problem – as sandberg just did. Simple, yet brilliant, and absolutely true in every respect.

thirteen28 on January 8, 2007 at 6:46 PM

This subject , I would suggest, has played out.

Emmett J. on January 8, 2007 at 5:33 PM

I agree, Emmett. The guy’s dead and I’m damn glad for it. But, come on, how many more videos do we really need?

It’s freaking over, let’s move along now.

BacaDog on January 8, 2007 at 7:04 PM

Dead is dead. ding dong…..

Mallard T. Drake on January 8, 2007 at 7:17 PM

Its not subcutaneous fat.Its where they put the apple before they cook him and eat him.Just kidding,thats where the tongue came out and went hhdddddttttt like a Warner Bros. cartoon.Ok,now its time to move on….heh

spazzmomma on January 8, 2007 at 8:12 PM

The latest trend in jihadist propaganda? Blogging, of course.

An observation regarding the comments on the Islamic blog site ….. they’re nearly non-existent.

What, are they afraid to express their opinions? /sarc/

fogw on January 8, 2007 at 8:16 PM

That looks very much like the start of a fine Columbian neck tie, all you’d have to do is reach in and pull that toungue through. Good enough to make Scar Face pop wood.

Alden Pyle on January 8, 2007 at 8:16 PM

who cares… I wouldn’t be surprised if somone filmed the body being pissed on..

retired on January 8, 2007 at 8:27 PM

Saddam never looked better. Howz about a family pose with your sons. Niiiice.

Mojave Mark on January 8, 2007 at 8:50 PM

Question:

I checked out this video when it was first posted and I just want to know what the number is that you’re supposed to call if you sport an erection for more than 4 hours?

It’s beginning to hurt.

Misha I on January 8, 2007 at 9:52 PM

Sic semper tyrannis.

CP on January 9, 2007 at 1:01 AM

What goes around, comes around.

Tantor on January 9, 2007 at 2:44 AM

This. Parrot. Is. Dead!

Kralizec on January 9, 2007 at 10:26 AM

This. Parrot. Is. Dead!

No he’s not! He’s pining for the fjords…
Beautiful plumage.

allie on January 9, 2007 at 12:15 PM

Question:

It’s beginning to hurt.

Misha I on January 8, 2007 at 9:52 PM

Ew! That is even more discusting than the footage.

THeDRiFTeR on January 9, 2007 at 2:55 PM

When is someone going to publicly come out and say he’s not really dead? Bush has him in a bunker somewhere, right?

jjjen on January 9, 2007 at 3:06 PM

That reminds me……I need to pick some apples up at the store.

The Ugly American on January 9, 2007 at 3:07 PM

Looked again and it probably IS his tongue. *shudder*

I seem to remember the decision to show the video of Saddam’s dead sons was made when it was discovered that without the video, superstitious minds in the ME would not believe they were dead. I think that’s what’s going on with all these videos, each with more clarity than the last. Without literal, incontrovertible proof, there’s no closure for the Iraqi people.

RushBaby on January 9, 2007 at 3:40 PM

THeDRiFTeR, please go back to your hole and take Honora & Ja with you.

RushBaby, I remember that being said for the justification of showing those two bastards on the slab a few years ago. Since it wasn’t a public execution,there will be those who believe that he’s living on that island with Adolph Hitler, John F Kennedy & Elvis Presley.

So long Saddam, it hasn’t been good knowing ya!

Catie96706 on January 9, 2007 at 11:43 PM