Time: Bush to pick Fred Fielding as Miers’ replacement

posted at 3:33 pm on January 8, 2007 by Ian

Fielding served as counsel to Reagan among other White House jobs. Here’s what Time magazine has to say:

In a signal that he could be open to working more closely with congressional Democrats rather than stonewalling, President Bush plans to name the widely respected Republican lawyer Fred F. Fielding as White House counsel this week, party sources tell TIME. Fielding, who held the same position under President Ronald Reagan, will succeed the President’s friend Harriet Miers, who last week announced her resignation, effective Jan. 31. An official who has been briefed on the impending announcement, which could come as soon as Tuesday, called Fielding “the ultimate Washington lawyer-insider — he’s the man to see.”

Comments

Nowhere to go but up.

Labamigo on January 8, 2007 at 3:41 PM

So Pres. Bush is the one that’s been stonewalling the past 6 years? Was he stonewalling on the Alido nomination also?

dalewalt on January 8, 2007 at 3:47 PM

so he won’t stonewall huh? Does that mean we should go ahead and get the fifty tons of popcorn for the nine years of hearings we’re going to have to sit through as the far left tries to impeach a sitting president during war time using tin foil hat conspiracy theories and spooky you tube videos made by idiot college kids with a “I hate authority” complex?

One Angry Christian on January 8, 2007 at 4:01 PM

One Angry Christian on January 8, 2007 at 4:01 PM

That sums it up pretty nicely.

thirteen28 on January 8, 2007 at 4:31 PM

I’m going to take a “wait and see” on this one. Fielding is probably one of the best attorneys to have for the situation the Dems are going to try to put Bush into. Bush definitely made a good choice.

GT on January 8, 2007 at 4:40 PM

Novak’s column today is the bigger issue and I’m surprised it hasn’t been posted…Bush supporting payroll tax increases? Insanity.

lorien1973 on January 8, 2007 at 4:43 PM

One Angry Christian on January 8, 2007 at 4:01 PM
That sums it up pretty nicely.

thirteen28 on January 8, 2007 at 4:31 PM

Yes, indeed! this should be quality entertainment all around and was well stated. The sadder part is that the ones in charge (both parties) now were idiot college kids from the ’60′s – same “I hate authority” complex, though.

Their kids learned well from mommy and daddy how to sell out America and our soldiers – didn’t they?

Emmett J. on January 8, 2007 at 4:48 PM

Loren,

I’d be careful about reading that into Novak’s column. The fact that Bush hasn’t publicly spoken out against it doesn’t mean that Bush is for it. I think I’d give it time and see how things shake out. If we can get Personal Retirement Accounts by cutting in the payroll tax funds while raising the maximum amount exposed to PRT which adjust for inflation annually, I just might be for it as long as I get a choice of where the money goes that best suits me.

GT on January 8, 2007 at 4:59 PM

Loren,

GT on January 8, 2007 at 4:59 PM

Dream on…………….the fact that he hasn’t spoken out aginst it doesn’t mean that he is not for it, either.

Double-speak seems to have gained more credence here than in Orwell’s 1984 – at least that was fictional. We have to daily deal with watching our nation being flushed down the proverbial drain.

Worse, so do our warfighters, who are ultimately the ones who are paying for governmental mistakes and missteps.

We have to learn to think and act as more than merely a nation of consumers or merchants and prioritize accordingly.

However, if you are willing to prioritize purely for the money, I would suggest that you follow the money trail before agreeing to anything from government (either party).

Emmett J. on January 8, 2007 at 5:16 PM

GT on January 8, 2007 at 4:40 PM

Good point.

Rick on January 8, 2007 at 5:17 PM

Loren,

GT on January 8, 2007 at 4:59 PM

I second Emmett J.’s “dream on”, no offense intended.

Please do not fall into the trap of thinking the Democrats will make a fair sacrifice in return for a tax hike. The first president Bush made that mistake, and look where it got him – first he got screwed by the Dems, who reneged before the ink of his signature was dry, and then he got a recession, then he got thrown out of office. All for believing that they meant it when the offered a “compromise”.

Trusting Democrats to keep their word on such things is a huge mistake that can only lead to political disaster. Don’t ever believe differently.

thirteen28 on January 8, 2007 at 5:22 PM

thirteen28 on January 8, 2007 at 5:22 PM

I agree wholeheartedly.

GT on January 8, 2007 at 5:25 PM

Here’s a link to the Novak article.

Emmett J. on January 8, 2007 at 5:48 PM

“Republicans are liars.” — Rhetoric grounded in a deep distaste for Republican ideology.

“Democrats are liars.” — Rhetoric grounded in past performance.

The Democrats will do anything they have to do to get what they want, as evidenced by their enacting of their own “nuclear option” on taxes. They’ll exploit any number of rules, violating the spirit of those rules, to get the power they want. They’ll wear whatever costume it takes to convince voters they’re something they most certainly are not.

They will do whatever it takes to force Bush into the lamest of lame duck presidencies possible, and they will do whatever it takes to secure their power. In short, they have what elected Republicans don’t. Malkins. They’re as corrupt and viciously Machiavellian as they come, but they have the Malkins to hold onto power. What remains to be seen is whether they have the brains.

spmat on January 8, 2007 at 6:07 PM

Stonewall is a hero….Stonewalling on the Left is traitorous.

Can I get an Amen!

Tim Burton on January 8, 2007 at 6:12 PM

I knew this guy’s name was familiar. He was one of the names tossed about as a possible “Deep Throat”.

Bringing in someone with Watergate experience…oh my head…

honora on January 9, 2007 at 11:28 AM