Alive: Iran’s supreme leader makes public appearance in Tehran

posted at 8:03 am on January 8, 2007 by Allahpundit

A little sweaty but otherwise none the worse for wear. Beware Iranian dissidents bearing good news — or bad news. Unless it’s nuclear in nature.

The purpose of his appearance, by the way? To order the government to defy the UN sanctions and press ahead with uranium enrichment.

khamenei-alive.jpg

More photos at Fars and Mehr: pages 1, 2, and 3.

Update: Maybe Pajamas’s source meant to say “cold,” not cancer.

An Iranian photographer said Khamenei coughed a few times during his speech, a part of which was broadcast on state television.

“He appeared to be healthy. He only coughed a few times,” photographer Saman Aghvami told The Associated Press.

A close-up photo showed perspiration on Khamenei’s forehead.

He also appeared to have lost weight since he was seen in public in October and November.

Update: Not exactly a credible source itself, Debka says Khamenei did in fact have a cerebral stroke on January 3 and his health is precarious.

Comments

*ugh* Looks like PJM jumped the gun.

flipflop on January 8, 2007 at 8:13 AM

Is it jumping the gun when you say that you’ve received an unconfirmed report about something? I don’t believe that PJM declared him dead. They reported having received a report of his demise.

Pablo on January 8, 2007 at 8:47 AM

HAND PUPPET!

seejanemom on January 8, 2007 at 9:15 AM

(Not PJM, I mean the stooge in the Man Jammies up there.)

seejanemom on January 8, 2007 at 9:16 AM

Pablo –

True. But I think I’d have sat on it another day (hey, you can’t go wrong second-guessing someone!).

I really want to see PJM succeed as highly-respected news source to counter the MSM.

flipflop on January 8, 2007 at 9:20 AM

What, and no sniper? WTF? I thought this was a ploy to get him out into the open for a clean shot!

That’s how our Troops captured Tirek Azeez. The moron fell for it. “Look, I’m alive! I’m right here you American fools! … Oh, hello, American Soldiers (nervous smile) … My country does not want … uh, how you say? How you say? War.” Dummy.

Tony737 on January 8, 2007 at 9:41 AM

For some reason this brings to mind that Spamalot song: “I’m not yet dead”

Catchy.

honora on January 8, 2007 at 9:45 AM

flipflop on January 8, 2007 at 9:20 AM

Well then it looks like they’ve got some work to do. First Jamil really exsists and now this. 0 for 2. If the NYT or WaPo were on the wrong end of these two stories instead of PJM I can just imagine some of the adjectives and adverbs that would be thrown around. But wait, I thought only liberals had double standards…

JaHerer22 on January 8, 2007 at 9:58 AM

Actually, Ja, what will happen is that PJM will likely simply say “we got it wrong.” The NYT or WaPo would “Rather-up”, as the Times is currently doing over the El Ealvador/Climaco story. It doesn’t matter they’ve been proved wrong, they still insist Climaco is in jail for abortion, not infanticide.

eeyore on January 8, 2007 at 10:16 AM

as most prople know, it’s El Salvador, not El Ealvador

eeyore on January 8, 2007 at 10:17 AM

JaHerer22,

First, what does Jamil Hussein have to do with PJM? Did I miss an exclusive? Next, what does the fact that the Jamil Hussein that seems to have appeared doesn’t appear to be the source of the 61 stories do to your theory?

Then, what part of “We have received an unconfirmed report that he is dead” is wrong?

Then, Adnan Hajj, was also outed by PJM founder Charles Johnson of LGF, who shares a bit of Dan Rather’s scalp with present company and some others.

Now, tally that score again, won’t you?

Pablo on January 8, 2007 at 10:56 AM

Another waste of a perfectly good target in the spotlight.

Tony737 on January 8, 2007 at 9:41 AM

Nice thought, Tony 737, I agree. Of course, I’m the sort that would like to see him splattered all over an @l-j@zerr@ news conference and hence, the rest of the news media. They would be fighting for the exclusive-that’s who they are and where their priorities lie(pun intended). IMHO.

tormod on January 8, 2007 at 11:09 AM

Not dead? damnit! They all kinda look alike though.

R D on January 8, 2007 at 2:09 PM

Now, tally that score again, won’t you?

If he meant conservative blogs in general, you’d have to throw the whole “John Kerry sits alone” thing in there as well. All within the last week. To HA’s credit they do admit their errors, but half the commenters still are in denial… “this raises more questions” “i definitely heard cracker” etc

crr6 on January 8, 2007 at 2:26 PM

If he meant conservative blogs in general…

…then I imagine he would have said that and we wouldn’t have been talking about Pajamas Media specifically. Make sense?

Pablo on January 8, 2007 at 2:46 PM

nasty frames

he “shoulda gone to specsavers”

uptight on January 8, 2007 at 5:54 PM

Roved!

RightWinged on January 8, 2007 at 6:46 PM

So, major embarrassment it is then right?

THeDRiFTeR on January 9, 2007 at 7:03 AM