INDC in Iraq: IED hunt in Fallujah

posted at 2:11 pm on January 8, 2007 by Allahpundit

How on earth did I miss this on Saturday? Tons of photos at the link. Go go go.

What struck me about the seven-hour patrol was how tough it was; not only from keyed up nerves that come along with looking for explosives, trying to draw small arms fire and worrying about snipers, but its discomfort (the seats are not La-Z-Boys and the trak is loud), length, tedium and temperature – the January evening in the Iraqi desert quickly became frigid. I can only imagine how uncomfortable these patrols are in the summer, especially when you consider that they lasted 12 hours on Mendoza’s last deployment.

These guys work hard…

I asked him how Fallujah is doing and how he regards the progress of his mission:

“I like to think I’m making a difference. We have to be doing something right, with how the IEDs are going down. Now, with the bad guys shooting at us? We almost invite them too, because it gives us a chance to do some killing ourselves.”

“I keep hearing Fallujah is a safe haven, it’s an oasis compared to what it was last year. It’s such a huge change between last year and now, we must be doing something right. We’re working on the security issue, but the Iraqis have to stand up and do that for themselves, as we’re not gonna be here forever.”

“But we’ll stay as long as necessary to get the job done.”

indc-patrol2.jpg

Comments

Head up, eyes wide, and don’t forget to duck…

I know it sounds stupid, but that’s what we say in situations like this.

Godspeed, Y’all.

Lonevoice on January 8, 2007 at 2:32 PM

dug that … put it under “world news”

wonder how long it’ll be before they bury it cuz it’s not a body count report.

here’s the link in case anyone else is on digg

anyone care to take a bet on how long before it’s burried?

One Angry Christian on January 8, 2007 at 2:33 PM

But, but, but the Dhimmis and their propagandist media keep tellin’ us that we’re losing this war!

Amazing. We’re killin’ bad guys all over the place, the New Iraqi Army is taking over section by section, infrastructure is being rebuilt, the economy is improving, etc etc yet somehow we’re “losing”. After the Iraqis finish taking over the whole country and we redeploy to Syr … Kuwait … the left will STILL claim we lost because that’s what they WANT. Liberals, always on the wrong side of history.

Tony737 on January 8, 2007 at 2:34 PM

The one thing our enemies don’t have is men like SSgt Mendoza.

Zetterson on January 8, 2007 at 2:42 PM

Vietnam, Soviet Union, Islamic terrorists … is there ANY enemy that the left won’t side with over America?

Yes, Sgt Mendoza, you ARE making a difference, despite the left’s claim of otherwise.

Tony737 on January 8, 2007 at 2:48 PM

That was a really good read. Great pictures too. Wish there was more stuff like that around.

Scot on January 8, 2007 at 3:04 PM

Yesterday, on a flight from San Francisco, I was seated across the isle and one row back from a marine. After offering him my personal thanks for his service, our discussion evolved into his recent tour in Iraq (versus my son’s earlier one). The facts are that things are improved in Fallujah and elsewhere in Iraq. Too bad the media is more interested in lying to the publice for political gain than in telling the truth.

The work that our soldiers and marines are doing is worthwhile and necessary. They are professionals and we should be very proud of them.

I didn’t get an opportunity to personally wish him well as he deplaned ahead of me while I and my wife were struggling with our carryon luggage. But if you are reading this message, 1SGt, God bless you and Godspeed.

georgej on January 8, 2007 at 3:49 PM

The work that our soldiers and marines are doing is worthwhile and necessary. They are professionals and we should be very proud of them…
georgej on January 8, 2007 at 3:49 PM

Can’t be said enough.

right2bright on January 8, 2007 at 6:11 PM

When you can’t add to the words already spoken you just proudly say Amen……….and thank you..

ritethinker on January 8, 2007 at 7:22 PM

Bravo.

Jaibones on January 8, 2007 at 7:55 PM

Ready! SALUTE!!! GOD BLESS ALL OUR SOLDIERS!

ChrisIansNana on January 8, 2007 at 8:09 PM

Amazing. What brave people we have watching over us. Salute.

oakpack on January 8, 2007 at 11:48 PM

It may take years, but I trust the truth will one day be known about our incredible successes in Iraq and Afghanistan. I sure hope the Iraqis can start taking care of themselves before too long, we need to tee up Iran pretty soon.

Freelancer on January 9, 2007 at 2:38 AM

MSM now clearly means Must Spread Misinformation.

Bless all the guys and gals keeping us free from the jihadist scum.

Let’s hope GWB keeps faith with them.

profitsbeard on January 9, 2007 at 11:00 AM