Video: Dallas chokes

posted at 12:37 am on January 7, 2007 by Allahpundit

Bryan’s indisposed at the moment so I’m taking advantage to goof on his team. The ‘Boys led, 20-13, with less than seven minutes to play when Terry Glenn fumbled out of his own end zone for a safety. The Seahawks scored quickly after the ensuing kickoff on a 37-yard touchdown pass, but the two-point conversion failed. That made it 21-20, ‘Hawks, with Dallas in possession and needing a field goal to win the game. They marched down the field to Seattle’s 11-yard line and appeared to make a third-down conversion on a pass from Romo to Witten that would have put them on the 1 with a minute and a half left to play.

Emphasis on “appeared to.”

Comments

I scared my dog reacting to the play that ended the Cowgirls season. Poetic justice is what I call it. Up yours TO! :-P

TwinkietheKid on January 7, 2007 at 12:43 AM

Hahaha. Ha. Ha. Go ‘skins!

Ian on January 7, 2007 at 12:44 AM

Awful…just awful.

CP on January 7, 2007 at 12:50 AM

Damn it Allah! You jinxed them by showing that Dallas Star flub. And Ian I hope your skins keep that damn race car driver owner as a coach and keep loosing!

Drtuddle on January 7, 2007 at 12:58 AM

Hehe love it. The only way it could have been better is if TO screwed up at the end instead of Romo.

Benaiah on January 7, 2007 at 1:02 AM

hahahaha what a great game. My voice won’t recover until tomorrow or Monday. I was “this far” away from leaving Qwest Field in disgust with about 6:00 left in the game, but I am sooo glad I decided to stick it out.

When the ref spotted the ball at the one, the Hawks Nest was ready to come out on the field in an uproar. Fortunately, the replay booth corrected the spot. Lofa Tatupu is a stud for being able to stand the tight end up and keep him from gaining the first down.

When Babineaux stopped Romo that stadium erupted. Strangers were hugging each other unabashedly. On the post game shows they were calling this game one of the top three or four games in Seahawk history. It reminded me of the Giant game from last year when the Hawks dodged three bullets when the Giants kept missing winning field goals. The Seahawks outlasted the Giants in overtime. Both games were remarkable.

And how about Terribly Overstated: 2 catches for 26 yards. hahahahaha.

Bring on the Bears (hopefully). With Rex Grossman at QB anything could happen……

Mallard T. Drake on January 7, 2007 at 1:02 AM

Oh, one more thing that makes this victory even sweeter. Before kick-off, the Cowboys came out and the entire team huddled on the Seahawk logo at the middle of the field. I haven’t seen any other team do that, at least at the pro level. I suppose they thought they were bad and sending a message. Instead they are a bunch of chumps. Have a nice off-season.

Mallard T. Drake on January 7, 2007 at 1:06 AM

Yeah, well it’s the Giants’ turn tomorrow, wiseas**.

Mark V. on January 7, 2007 at 1:15 AM

Being a Giants fan and having gone through this TWICE (Joe Piscarik and FG in San Fran)…..

I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY feel bad.

OK, I’m MUCH better now, at least until tomorrow

HarryStar on January 7, 2007 at 1:16 AM

I’ve been a Seahawk fan since I was a little girl. Hubby is a Cowgirl fan.

Lets just say there’s been a little bit of tension in the house, lol.

Wish I could’ve been there.

Romo is my hero (as my brother-in-law texed to hubby!!)

StephC on January 7, 2007 at 1:21 AM

i love it when fans from teams who have never won a super bowl (and won’t win one this year) take pleasure in beating my cowboys. tell us how it felt to lose a super bowl to a team who’s qb had the lowest qb rating in super bowl history.

mfnorman on January 7, 2007 at 1:24 AM

Being an Arizona Cardinals fan (yes, I know), this made me happy. It’s unfortunate that it also resulted in the advance of the Seahawks in the playoffs, but we can’t have everything we want.

Mibrilane on January 7, 2007 at 1:25 AM

You call that a choke? As an alum of the U-Mich. . . Let me tell you an old joke that I heard for the first time when I was about 18, that would 32 years ago–”Why does Bo Shembechler eat his Cheerios on a plate?” “Put’em in a bowl and he’d choke.” Michigan’s chokery has truly reached epic proportions–Dallas’ little choke is merely anecdotal.

smellthecoffee on January 7, 2007 at 1:30 AM

Yes it is great pleasure to beat the Tuna and his soap opera.

The Seahawks lost the Super Bowl to the striped shirts not to Ben “let me move the ball over the goal line after I am tackled” Rothlisberger. But don’t take my word for it. Ask any fan who watched that game. If they know anything about football, they will tell you that the Hawks got hosed repeatedly.

But that was last year. As I look at the remaining schedule this year, the Seahawks are playing next week and the Cowboys aren’t.

Mallard T. Drake on January 7, 2007 at 1:45 AM

Mallard, may you and all Cowboy-haters do what Linda Blair told the younger priest that his mother was doing in Hell in “The Exorcist”

As for myself, after my imminent death, I want my ashes scattered over Romo’s driveway so that he can crush me over and over again, just like four of the last five games

Janos Hunyadi on January 7, 2007 at 2:26 AM

Go Cowboys
GO HOME!

Defector01 on January 7, 2007 at 2:27 AM

Mallard T. Drake on January 7, 2007 at 1:45 AM

I watched the SB and the Seahawks kept getting hit with mysterious penalties.

EnochCain on January 7, 2007 at 2:31 AM

I still want Holmgren canned. Effing 3rd & 6 draw play in the Red Zone? I can’t take another 3rd down draw play. This game should have never been this close. Get it in the effin’ endzone already.

Editor on January 7, 2007 at 3:08 AM

My Chargers will wreak painful revenge for you Cowboys fans! Then after that they will beat Daaaa Bears in the Super Bowl ;)

SilverStar830 on January 7, 2007 at 3:39 AM

I will not have a voice tomorrow. I second Editor’s comments. Holmgren’s play calling has been suspect all year. That draw play was to the fullback (who is all-world, but still a fullback) when they needed 7 yards.

Lofa for President. He is one border (read: endzone) protecting dude. It’s also nice that Stevens decided to catch balls rather than drop them.

Gooooooooooooooo Hawks!!!

mattshu on January 7, 2007 at 3:45 AM

As I rhetorically ask my kids: what does Dallas do? SUCK!

stonemeister on January 7, 2007 at 4:21 AM

I love the Seacox fans whining STILL about valid calls, as if the Walrus isn’t a worse 2 minute coach than Herm Edwards.

Too bad the Seacox fans won’t have another refs call to cry about for a year. Would have been nice.

Go Steelers. SB XL Champions.

benrand on January 7, 2007 at 6:44 AM

So it’s Chi-Town and the Hawks.

All right.

Time to bring back the superbowl shuffle.

GO BEARS!!!

Ringmaster on January 7, 2007 at 8:21 AM

WOOO HOOOOOOO! Thank you Seahawks! BUH-bye T.O. (Totally Overrated)

The Giants go down today, Eagles by 10.

Tony737 on January 7, 2007 at 8:50 AM

Maybe Carrie Underwood should have taken that snap from center.

Nice one Cowgirls, that one’s gonna leave a mark.

T.O., have your agent get in touch with Al Davis.

fogw on January 7, 2007 at 9:47 AM

Well, I did take the Cowboys and the points. As a Giants fan, I have no sympathy for them. Let’s see how the NYG do later today. I don’t have much hope.

JammieWearingFool on January 7, 2007 at 9:54 AM

As a Giants fan, I just have to say “mwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!”

William Teach on January 7, 2007 at 10:02 AM

UN-FREEKING-BELIEVEABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was either neither, but it was a good barnburner. Almost as good as the Boise game. Romo definately is in the “Biggest Muff of The Playoffs” poll if anyone wants to start one. What a heartbreaker, but I considering their records Seattle just had the edge.

Well the Ravens will do them in next week. Terribly.

auspatriotman on January 7, 2007 at 10:24 AM

Not a fan of either team but am miffed the cowboys hired T.O. and therefore glad they lost. It could only have been better if T.O. dropped a pass in the end zone with no time remaining. God, he is such a ass.

Wade on January 7, 2007 at 10:31 AM

“The Seahawks lost the Super Bowl to the striped shirts” the old “we got screwed by the officials” line. c’mon, real teams of championship caliber know how to overcome bad officiating.

mfnorman on January 7, 2007 at 10:33 AM

I’m a little bit amused by the claims, in order, that the Chargers will beat the Seahawks next week, and the Ravens will beat the Seahawks next week. Uh, guys? The ‘Hawks are in the NFC, the Chargers and Ravens are in the AFC. The only way one of those teams will beat the Seahawks will be in the Superbowl. Sorry to burst your bubble.

What will happen is that the Ravens will beat the Colts in Baltimore next Saturday, the Chargers will beat the Patriots (yes, I’m already calling the Patriots over the Jets) next Sunday, and then there will be an EPIC showdown in San Diego the following weekend. I’m not calling that game yet. I’m leaning towards the Bolts, but the Ravens have been playing a phenomenal defense this year, so they may stop LT and Rivers. We’ll see.

After that, who cares. Nobody in the NFC stands a chance against either of those two teams. Either the Chargers bring home their first SB trophy, or the Ravens bring home their second.

‘Nuff said. You Cowboy whiners can go on all you want about how many championships they’ve won. This year? One-and-done.

Pansies.

nukemhill on January 7, 2007 at 10:59 AM

As an EAGLES fan…..Bwahahahhhaaaaahhahahahahah! Tony Romo HA! Not that I’m Romophobic but Cowboys thought they could really win with a Rookie… I can’t wait for the TO sound bites. I’m sure he will have his Team’s well being in mind.

In Philly our 2 Favorite teams are the Eagles and whom ever is playing against the CowGirls.

As for the Giants later today…. Any Freakin thing could happen.

Fandango on January 7, 2007 at 11:03 AM

If the Tuna retires Denny Green is available.

infidel on January 7, 2007 at 11:19 AM

HAHA The clip of Romo sitting on the ground and crying into his helmet is classic. Cowgirls suck!

lorien1973 on January 7, 2007 at 11:26 AM

Romo is who we thought he was.

Readymade on January 7, 2007 at 11:27 AM

watching the ESPN Countdown show right now. funny but during there opening segment all they could talk about was the Cowboys. not the ‘Hawks (who won the game), but the COWBOYS. Now why would ESPN want to talk so much about the losing team. Maybe it’s because the Cowboys are the greatest, most popular franchise in the NFL. Nobody cares what the Seahawks do. That’s what 5 Super Bowls, 10 conference championships, 19 division titles, 32 playoff victories, etc., etc., etc., will do for you. Newsflash: ESPN is now into their third segment and still no talk about the Seahwks.

mfnorman on January 7, 2007 at 11:32 AM

What are you guys talking about? Dallas beat San Antonio.

Ropera on January 7, 2007 at 11:36 AM

Agreed, up to a point. What makes SBXL so infamous is the repeated bad calls that went against the Hawks. The whole game was about overcoming bad calls. Eventually, even the best teams get worn down by the bad breaks. But like I said, that is not just my opinion. Any knowledgable football fan saw what happened in that game.

But let’s not dwell on the past. The Seahawks, as losers of the SB, have defied the odds and are in the second round of the playoffs this year. That is a remarkable acheivement by itself when placed in the context of the injuries this team has suffered with this year.

Mallard T. Drake on January 7, 2007 at 11:42 AM

Now why would ESPN want to talk so much about the losing team.

You confuse Dallas history with Dallas histrionics. Like the MSM, ESPN is all about controversy and “stories.” The Cowboys soap opera has The Tuna, Terribly Overstated, and Romo stories to flog incessantly. The Seahawks don’t have the “dramatic” side stories to fill up time on the network. Don’t tell me you though ESPN was all about the game on the field? Oy.

Mallard T. Drake on January 7, 2007 at 11:48 AM

The Giants go down today, Eagles by 10.

Tony737 on January 7, 2007 at 8:50 AM

The Eagles tend not to do well in the games they should easily win.

jman on January 7, 2007 at 12:10 PM

E A G L E S

Good Lt on January 7, 2007 at 12:21 PM

I couldn’t believe it, I’m still sick today.

gradyman on January 7, 2007 at 12:28 PM

…It could only have been better if T.O. dropped a pass in the end zone with no time remaining. God, he is such a ass.

Wade on January 7, 2007 at 10:31 AM

From T.O.’s perspective, things will be much worse once McNabb and the Eagles beat the Giants.

CyberCipher on January 7, 2007 at 12:31 PM

Eagles Suck! Go Giants today.

As a Bucs fan, I cannot root for the eagles. But I can laugh at the Eagles for losing so badly to us in the 2002 NFC championship game. Ha Ha. Doesn’t Ronde running back that INT/touchdown STILL hurt? Have some flashbacks of that from earlier this season? HA HA

lorien1973 on January 7, 2007 at 12:38 PM

To Mallard:

all kidding aside i have to be honest about my Cowboys now. even if “Dramatica” had made that field goal I seriously doubt that our defense could have stopped your Seahawks from going down the field to kick a game winning field goal with 0:00 on the clock. My team still has a lot of problems that they just can’t seem to overcome, problems that were exposed big time by Sean Payton. Hopefully we can correct those problems during the offseason and i sure hope “the Tuna” sticks around for one more year.

Being originally from Oregon I should put my support behind Seattle (representing the great northwest), but i’m still an NFC East fan (been living in the D/FW area since 1970) so I’m going to pull for the Giants this afternoon. Anyone but the Eagles!

Good luck to your team and enjoy the ride.

mfnorman on January 7, 2007 at 12:38 PM

Being originally from Oregon

How about those Ducks? Took it to UCLA yesterday. No. 1 falls. This makes the USC loss on Thusday easier to take.

Mallard T. Drake on January 7, 2007 at 1:10 PM

While it was certainly an exciting game, as matches between equivalent mediocre teams often can be, it’s rather clear that neither of those teams are worthy of a superbowl berth. The Cowboys are now (well deservedly) out, and–unless one simply wants to watch a painfully lopsided drubbing by a vastly superior AFC team (take your pick from several available)–the Seahawks hopefully soon will be, too.

I’d much rather watch a competitive Superbowl without the team of my choice than a dull one including them. As yesterday’s far less memorable Chiefs/Colts game aptly demonstrated, there’s not much worse than boring football.

Blacklake on January 7, 2007 at 1:14 PM

Mallard:

wasn’t able to see that one but i am happy whenever the Ducks or Beavers do well. i hope to be able to return to live in Oregon or No. California once i retire.

unfortunately i have to go to work now so enjoy the afternoon of football games. i’ve got my vcr set up to tape the giants/eagles. if the giants win then i’ll watch it. if not then i’ll just tape over it.

mfnorman on January 7, 2007 at 1:48 PM

Eagles Suck! Go Giants today.

Giants Swallow.

Mazztek on January 7, 2007 at 2:06 PM

If I were a Cowboy fan, one of my concerns would be how Romo behaved after his mistake. He and hung is head like a child while his team was still fighting. Sure it is devistating, but as the leader of the team, you can not mentally check out like that. He should have been rooting the D on and praying for the chance to get back in.

jman on January 7, 2007 at 2:07 PM

I was there! At first, I thought it was a fake. I couldn’t believe it, field goals are so routine, I thought it was over for the Hawks. It was a pretty crazy 4th quarter overall. I hope the Seahawks can stumble all the way to the Superbowl.

gmoonster on January 7, 2007 at 2:37 PM

Strangers were hugging each other unabashedly.

Mallard T, that’s a big thing in overly-reserved Seattle.

gmoonster on January 7, 2007 at 2:43 PM

No BBQ for you, AP :(

First the Dallas Stars flubbed open net goal, now ‘Oh-No’ Romo. The Sports Gods have have really been overworking the ‘Smite’ button on Dallas recently.
How about some equal time and post some video on the Dallas Mavericks (currently on a 13 game win streak)?

Mike O on January 7, 2007 at 2:45 PM

All you G-men fans talkin’ s***, I believe it takes the whole hand to count the number of titles the ‘boys have.

Mark V. on January 7, 2007 at 2:51 PM

Eagles Suck! Go Giants today.

Oh what time do the Bucs play today??? Oh that’s right!! There next game is in august…..About the same time the CowGirls play again!!
That loss in 2002 Hurt me more than any other loss the Eagles have ever had. That’s why I said in my original post Loed knows what is going to happen today……Those Damn Barber brothers have been Eagle killers all their careers.

Fly Eagles Fly, On The Road To Victory.
Fight Eagles Fight, Score A Touchdown 1-2-3.

Hit ‘Em Low.
Hit ‘Em High.
And We’ll Watch Our Eagles Fly.

Fly Eagles Fly, On The Road To Victory.

E-A-G-L-E-S, EAGLES!!!

Fandango on January 7, 2007 at 3:32 PM

I’m with you Fangan … PHandango!

Life long Eagles fan here. Many disappointments and so many tears. But ya gotta stay true, we’ll beat the boys in blue, and win the big game this year!

Tony737 on January 7, 2007 at 4:52 PM

Garcia to Stallworth … TOUCHDOWNNNNNN!!!

Tony737 on January 7, 2007 at 6:08 PM

Halftime 17-10 Eagles! WOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO!

McNabb gettin’ hurt was the best thing to happen to us all year!

Tony737 on January 7, 2007 at 6:19 PM

McNabb gettin’ hurt was the best thing to happen to us all year!

I wouldn’t say that… he was out of control before his injury, scoring a lot each game. That being said, Garcia seems to be doing a fine job himself.

gmoonster on January 7, 2007 at 6:25 PM

Tony737,

Reasons why Garcia is more effective QB than McNabb ….

Ability to look-off primary receiver & pickup 2nd or 3rd receiver quickly
More accurate passer, and accurate for all four quarters
Starts game in high gear, doesn’t take two quarters to warm up
Rolls out to find an open passing lane to receiver, not for a lame run of 2-3 yards
Will throw the quick slant, key in the WC offense
Will throw the ball down the field

McNabb’s impressive passing stats are very misleading, reflecting two yard dumpoffs to Westbrook, who then runs for 25-30 yards.

McNabb is a great athlete, but I’ve never considered him a Grade A pro QB.

Go Birds!

fogw on January 7, 2007 at 6:31 PM

The Eagles could barely beat the Giants who suck just a little more than the Eagles.

Wade on January 7, 2007 at 8:21 PM

Thank you Wade for you keen insite…..You have to be a Dallas Fan..Huh??

Fandango on January 7, 2007 at 8:25 PM

Eagles were fortunate to win. Of course, I called the outcome, and almost got the score right.

JammieWearingFool on January 7, 2007 at 8:42 PM

Eagles laid an egg and still eeked one out. We’re going to need that “other team” to show up next week against the Saints.

And Wade buddy, the Eagles beat three division rivals, the Redskins, Giants and Cowgirls, all on the road and coming down the stretch with their back-up QB.

How’dem Giants do down the stretch with their No#1 pick?

fogw on January 7, 2007 at 9:08 PM

I’m a fan of a team that has won several superbowls, and I always take pleasure when the boys lose.

BTW, the Cowgirls won’t win the big bowl this year either. I bet Romo is on suicide watch right now. What a putz.

BacaDog on January 7, 2007 at 11:53 PM

I agree Wade, the Giants DO suck, but hey, a win’s a win either way.

GO EAGLESSSSSS!!!!

Tony737 on January 8, 2007 at 12:17 AM

As a Texas boy…….long horns and all……STICK IT JERRY JONES.

Limerick on January 8, 2007 at 12:32 AM

FLY EAGLES FLY ON THE ROAD TO VICTORY!
FIGHT EAGLES FIGHT, SCORE A TOUCHDOWN 1-2-3!

I-G-G-L-E-S! IGGLES!

Vincenzo on January 8, 2007 at 2:17 AM

The Cowboys were something special back in the days of Tom Landry, Roger Staubach, Calvin Hill, Too-Tall Jones and the rest.

Those days are gone, gone, gone.

Now they’re just a bunch of over-paid prima-donna crybabies, with T.O. in the lead of the pack.

Used to love’m. Now nothing but disdain. Boo hoo for the ‘boys.

Lovingly yours,

hillbillyjim on January 8, 2007 at 6:38 AM

To you Eagles fans:

Aren’t you glad to be shed of the dragging weight of pretty boy T.O.?

What a self-important pant-load of crap.

Tickles me to no end that the Cowpokes are saddled with his weight.

Sadly, my Panthers are out of the picture, dagblastit.

hillbillyjim on January 8, 2007 at 6:45 AM

A waxed ball, curse you Karl Rove.

right2bright on January 8, 2007 at 8:33 AM

One, I am not your buddy and two the Redskins, Giants and Cowboys all suck (combined record of 21-27) hardly championship caliber competition. Three, while the Eagles suck a bit less, they played well to get into the playoffs.

Wade on January 8, 2007 at 8:44 AM

Gotta love those dallas cowgirls.

It is too much to hope for, that Arlington would now think about pulling out of the taxpayer funded statium they are building for Jerry Jones? How about they undo the eminent domain abuse and let people have their land back?

Jose Chupacabra on January 8, 2007 at 9:22 AM

It’s stupid to blame the loss of the game on Romo. He made one bad play true, but the whole team got them to the point where they needed that fieldgoal to win.

Dallas fans, take comfort in the fact that there is not one of the remaining AFC teams you (or Philly or Seahawks or Bears or Saints) could beat.

honora on January 8, 2007 at 9:37 AM

As an Eagles fan, I was heartbroken to see T.O. and the Cowboys lose……..HA! What was I thinking! It was great!!!

danarchy on January 8, 2007 at 10:27 AM

Yeah, I actually live in Dallas and was out watching the game (not voluntarily mind you, as I’m not NFL fan at all). We were very stunned. Some weren’t even sure what happened and thought Romo had done it on purposing trying to do a fake.

The interview afterwards was so sad though.

Esthier on January 8, 2007 at 10:35 AM

honora, while this is true, it’s also true that Romo made a mistake that is basically unheard of in a professional game. Field goals from that far away should basically be guaranteed.

Esthier on January 8, 2007 at 10:42 AM

Did the Oilers win yet ? Oh ! ! They moved.

Were have I been ?

Texyank on January 8, 2007 at 2:32 PM

Romo is the Bill Buckner of football.

Wade on January 8, 2007 at 8:45 PM