Barney Frank accuses Bush of genocide “ethnic cleansing” Major Update

posted at 10:43 am on January 5, 2007 by Bryan

There’s no other way around it: When you accuse someone of perpetrating “ethnic cleansing” in any way, shape or form, you are accusing them of genocide.

Genocide. Let that word work its way around your mind for an moment. Genocide is the deliberate and systematic extermination of a national, racial, political, or cultural group. Think about that. And then watch the most grotesque public statement made by any elected official in the United States in the last 100 years.

No, I’m not kidding or reaching for the hyperbole. Rep. Barney Frank (D-MA) in the video below accuses the Bush administration of perpetrating “ethnic cleansing by hurricane” in Louisana after Katrina, in order to make Louisiana more Republican. The video and audio quality aren’t good, but the words are there. Listen a couple of times if you have to.

I will not here, in this post, go through all the details of why this is a smear and a lie on the part of Barney Frank. It should be obvious that he’s wrong and he’s gone so far over the line of acceptable political discourse that there is no turning back for him. I’ll just refer you to this article that Chris Regan and I wrote shortly after Katrina devastated the Gulf coast. The upshot of Chris’ research at the time was that the local officials in NOLA had a plan, but it was a shoddy plan that would produce a ghost town. And it did. So if there’s genocide to be found (and there isn’t, regarding Katrina or its aftermath), it’s to be found on NOLA’s own local elected government. But as I said and stress, there was and is no genocide connected to Katrina in any way, shape or form.

Barney Frank should be held to account for his statement. He should be hounded about it by Fox News and every other journalist with access to him.

To accuse the sitting President of the United States of enacting ethnic cleansing on American soil is to accuse the President of the United States of committing a grave atrocity worthy of impeachment and worse. It is to equate the President of the United States with Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, and yes, Saddam Hussein.

The atrocity actually committed here is Barney Frank’s shameless assault on the truth. Rep. Barney Frank ought to resign his seat in Congress forthwith. The disgusting statement captured above should mark the end of his political career.

Update: Frank’s DC office number is (202)225-5931. I’ve put in a call and am currently on hold.

And by the way, we captured Frank’s comments from YouTube and have our own copy of them. So even if Matthew Stoller or someone else removes them from YouTube, the comments will live on.

Update: I’m no longer on hold. I’ve spoken with one of Rep. Frank’s press representatives, who has promised to call me back.

More: Here’s how I see things. If Rep. Frank actually believes what he said, then he believes that there’s a mass murderer occupying the Oval Office. Therefore, Frank should introduce articles of impeachment immediately. If he believes what he said, another day in office for Bush is another day that we’re ruled by a mass murderer. Congress is empowered to stop the chief executive if there’s evidence that he has committed high crimes and misdemeanors. It’s hard to imagine a higher crime than perpetrating ethnic cleansing against American citizens on American soil. Being found guilty of such a crime just resulted in the hanging of Saddam Hussein.

Of course, Frank may not actually believe what he said. He may be playing to the Democrat base, or he may be delusional, or he may have just gotten carried away with the sound of his own voice. If any of that is the case, he should go on the record with a full retraction and apology, both to the President and to the American people for accusing their elected President of perpetrating ethnic cleansing. The honorable thing to do after that is resign.

No, I’m not holding my breath that any of that will happen. But Frank’s office has promised to call me back. True, they didn’t say when they might do so.

Update: Gateway Pundit has some stats for New Orleans post Katrina. No genocide.

Update (AP): I’m pressed with other stuff, but if anyone wants to try to transcribe the entire clip, please do so. The audio’s not good but he clearly says, “The policy, I think, is ethnic cleansing by inaction,” and then goes on to say that “they” let the hurricane do the ethnic cleansing so that their hands would be clean.

More (Bryan): Per Ace, ethnic cleansing can and usually does include genocide as defined above, but not always. It can also mean the forced removal of a population from one place to another for political and ethnic purposes. That’s a weaker definition than the one I’m using and it’s not the first thing that comes to mind when someone brings up ethnic cleansing post Kosovo and Rwanda, but it’s valid. So perhaps Frank didn’t mean out and out genodice, just a treatment of blacks in New Orleans reminiscent of what Saddam did to the Marsh Arabs.

Are you standing by that definition of ethnic cleansing, Congressman? Care to revise and extend your remarks?

Update (Bryan): I just got off the phone with Steve Adamske in Rep. Frank’s office. They deny that accusing the President of conducting genocide constituted any part of Frank’s comments. Fair enough. They stand by the use of the phrase “ethnic cleansing” as being the Bush policy in Louisiana, which means that Rep. Barney Frank stands by his accusation that the President of the United States has prevented NOLA residents from returning to their pre-Katrina homes for political reasons: to make Louisiana more Republican. It’s an accusation that Rep. Frank has made before, actually. His representative used Frank’s “ethnic cleansing” comments of last year (at the link) as a defense of these new comments. Wrong is still wrong, no matter when you say it.

Whether Frank meant by “ethnic cleansing” genocide or merely the forced removal or prevention of return for racist and political reasons, it is still over the line and deeply irresponsible, both as a charge and as political rhetoric. On the very day that the new Democratic majority took power, we have Rep. Barney Frank accusing the Bush administration of engaging in reprehensible and nakedly racist policies. Well Congressman, your party is in power now. You can do something about the “ethnic cleansing” of Louisiana if that’s what you think has actually taken place. Proffering a shred of evidence to support your position would be a good start.

Update: We have a transcript. Here’s an exerpt:

“And, what I believe is, at this point you’re not talking about [inaudible], but what you’re talking about is, I think, a [inaudible], what you’re talking about is when you simply, in a calculated way, refuse to do anything for well over a year … [inaudible] … and [stuttering] I, I, the policy I think here is ethnic cleansing by inaction.

“It’s not ethnic cleansing in the sense that they’re killing people or [driving] people out, but what we need to recognize here is that, they’re in this happy position for them, where the federal government does nothing, as they become richer and richer, because well not only black people needed housing assistance, but they were [predominantly poor, who did it], to simply not do anything to alleviate this housing crisis which … was being exacerbated by Katrina … [inaudible] they, they, they let the hurricane do the ethnic cleansing, because then they’re, all they’re doing is not resisting it, that’s why I call ethnic cleansing by inaction, and I know that there are people who were very happy that, as a result, … [inaudible] … [so that] Louisiana would become a more widely Republican [city] … [inaudible] … because if you lose 100,000 black voters … then you have to take a state that was prodominately Republican and made it [inaudible].”

Who are these people who are happy with the results of the “ethnic cleansing by inaction” of Louisiana, Congressman? Names, please. And by couching it the way he has, it’s clear that he sees in Katrina’s aftermath a reprehensible policy that goes all the way to the top.

The phrase “ethnic cleansing” is very much a loaded one. Its use in this context is beyond the pale of irresponsibility. That the Congressman stands by its use says more about him than it says about Katrina or President Bush. That his party will likely do nothing about his comments says still more, about them.

Update: See-Dubya looks up the definition of “ethnic cleansing” as per the ICC, and finds that Frank has no case against the Bush administration.

That won’t stop Rep. Frank of misusing the phrase, nor will it force him back down from it. Only his conscience could do that.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Here’s my transcription so far:

There is one thing… …incompetent… …but certainly not an endorsement of the President but, say, well “there was incompetence.” That was their original reaction to the Katrina disaster.

In the year plus since then, they have done virtually nothing to alleviate the flight of the … …people: Particularly the loss of the housing. They have done nothing to rebuild the affordable housing. They talk about introducing some existing affordable housing …. Even if they do,… …do other kinds of replacements.

And what I believe is at this point we’re not talking about incompetent, we’re talking about ethical values here: When you’re shipping, in a calculated way, refused to do anything well over a year, and … …I, I, the policy I think is ethnic cleansing by inaction. It’s not that this time we’re gonna send 600 people…

What you recognize is there is this happy position for them where the Federal Government does nothing. While you’re in.. …Because well, not only black people need help, predominantly ones, … … by simply not doing anything you make this ethnic cleansing, so greatly exasperated by Katrina, They, they let the hurricane do the ethnic cleansing…. …That’s why I call it “ethnic cleansing by inaction.”

Vincenzo on January 5, 2007 at 2:22 PM

He’ll probably resort to the Chewbacca Defense.

E5infantry on January 5, 2007 at 2:27 PM

Does Rep. Frank think Bush has a big “hurricane button” sitting on his desk or something that, when pushed, causes a giant weather system to take out the city of his choosing? What a freakin’ loon!

CP on January 5, 2007 at 2:32 PM

wait the national Guard in LA was under a democrats orders. And the NO Police Department was under a black man’s orders.

Did they also take part in ethnic Cleansing ?

William Amos on January 5, 2007 at 2:34 PM

The question of what would possess this US Congressman to make such breathtakingly irresponsible statements should be very much examined. Insanity? Mental incompetance? An evil predisposition? Let’s not be so fast to seprate Barney Frank from his words.

dhimwit on January 5, 2007 at 2:36 PM

GT, sign-off.

Thanks.

The Ritz on January 5, 2007 at 2:22 PM

In a while. Thanks for your concern.

Now, in reference to Vincenzo transcription……

Don’t we really come to the truth of it all when he says “And I know there are people that are very happy that that developed. Louisiana becomes more white, New Orleans a Republican city…100,000… ….100,000 black voters. It becomes markedly Republicans… …It happens everywhere.”

Is he really concerned about black people or is he really concerned about Republicans taking control and enforcing laws against public nudity during Mardi Gras?

GT on January 5, 2007 at 2:43 PM

It happens everywhere.

Vincenzo on January 5, 2007 at 2:22 PM

Thanks, Vincenzo, maybe he could elaborate on “everywhere”.

right2bright on January 5, 2007 at 2:44 PM

Well I wonder what Protest Warrior is up to these days? It sounds like they have a target rich enviroment.

LakeRuins on January 5, 2007 at 2:45 PM

I have seen several references among these posts suggesting that Barney Frank is a moron, idiot or otherwise stupid. I’m certainly not a fan, but underestimate Barney Frank at your peril. He’s probably got among the highest IQ’s in the House and he can’t be taken off message.

kmcguire on January 5, 2007 at 2:47 PM

Franks in the very least should be censored by the house for this.

William Amos on January 5, 2007 at 2:48 PM

First, I want to express my feeling that rep. Frank’s remarks are represensible. This is the state of politics in America today. We ignore any rational discussion of rebuilding in the face of future destruction. We turn away from any discussion of the fraud inherent in the FEMA credit card system. We would rather behave like 3rd graders, taunting our rivals with imaginary accusations. Of course Rep. Frank should be ashamed. He won’t be. This comment will get him air time on MSNBC. It is worth it slander the president to get 5 minutes with Ken, Katie, or Chris.

Bryan, I appreciate your efforts to tone down the discussion. I come here because I want to hear from people who are more intelligent and insightful than I am. If I wanted to read ad hominem attacks I could go to Kos or Huffington. We should encourage comments that add to our knowledge, discourage those that diminish our IQs. Our opponents will say many, many outrageous things in the next two years. We will be able to let their comments speak for themselves.

mkstach on January 5, 2007 at 2:51 PM

Well Congressman, your party is in power now. You can do something about the “ethnic cleansing” of Louisiana if that’s what you think has actually taken place. – Bryan

Can anyone find a bill authored by Rep. Frank to aid Katrina victims since Sept 1, 2005?

Perhaps I’m looking in the wrong place. I can’t find any.

GT on January 5, 2007 at 2:53 PM

Did they also take part in ethnic Cleansing ?

William Amos on January 5, 2007 at 2:34 PM

They were misled and lied to by Bush. Poor democrats, they really have been treated so poorly by the capitalist and imperialist Bushitler.

Rick on January 5, 2007 at 2:54 PM

I’ll quote my entire earlier comment which you found so upsetting….:

This is disgusting! The republicans should hold his feet to the fire over this one.

But that would require that they have balls so they won’t. Which makes the Republicans just as disgusting.

And ‘Ethnic Cleansing’ is just another word for Genocide.
CrazyFool on January 5, 2007 at 12:12 PM

And your comment on my comment:

Bryan says you will be banned for making these kind of overtures. Knock it off.
The reason why this thread has taken off on the tangent is that most of us realize that nothing else will be done to him, so some take pot shots. It is out of frustration. However, the comment regarding little boys was not good. And it is good that you pull in the reins a bit.

Actually Bryan, do you honestly think that Barney will be reprimanded by his party or the press?

right2bright on January 5, 2007 at 12:41 PM

Ok I’ll bite. What farking overtures?? Where in my comment did I mention ‘little boys’ eh? So what is wrong with expecting the republicans to hold Barney feet to the fire over this?

I did not reference anything about Barney’s personal life. I did reference the Republican’s lack of ‘balls’ (courage, resolution, etc…) but nothing I said referenced anyone’s personal life or preference.

CrazyFool on January 5, 2007 at 2:55 PM

Franks in the very least should be censored by the house for this.

…or even censured.

stonemeister on January 5, 2007 at 2:57 PM

kmcguire on January 5, 2007 at 2:47 PM

Right, Frank is on solid ground speaking like that. He knows exactly who he is talking to, and it ain’t us. The one thing the Dems do is they take care of their base, and throw them bones like this nuggets like this to chew study. (God, Bryan it makes it tough, I am over analyzing everything everyone is writing.) Anyway, you have to take him head straight on, fight fire with fire. He should worry about Boston’s big dig. About 100 times more than estimated, and still not completed. He should be investigating his own backyard backyard (just a little touchy).

right2bright on January 5, 2007 at 2:59 PM

Article of Impeachment
Article I
The President of the United States did willfully and with premeditated malice, actively direct and participate in planning for the hurricane that struck the city of New Orleans and surrounding environs with the expressed purpose of killing and displacing African-Americans. By so doing the president willingly participated in the deaths of hundreds of American citizens and did willfully and with premeditated malice direct that federal aid be witheld and diminished to accomplish a political majority in the city of New Orleans and surrounding environs through natural genocide. By his conduct, the President of the United States has committed a high crime and therefore is impeached by the United States House of Representatives.

There…I wrote it for you Barney. I love you…you love me…oops, wrong Barney.

sdd on January 5, 2007 at 3:00 PM

“Bush lied, people died”. Hey, It fits with this too. We can probably use it with everything else that happens in the world. Earthquake in Pakistan – “Bush lied, people died”; Tsunami – “Bush lied, people died”…It’s so easy, and it just feels good to blame him.

Rick on January 5, 2007 at 3:00 PM

I did not make my post clear:
First the quote from you was being a little sarcastic, fun and trying to fit something under the radar (hold his feet…). I am sure Bryan got the good natured jab. The second part, with the new paragraph was more of a general statement concerning others posts. Like this,blockquote>Griz on January 5, 2007 at 12:17 PM which is way out of bounds.

Sorry for not making my post clear and allowing people to think that you posted the garbage that Griz did. I should have seperated the two thoughts more clearly.

right2bright on January 5, 2007 at 3:08 PM

Barney Franks doesn’t think ethnic cleansing is as bad as genocide, or that ethnic cleansing is murder

Frank: "Yes, although I, I see there was some potential confusion. Somebody wrote me an angry letter today and said were you accusing the president of genocide? To me there was a very sharp distinction between ethnic cleansing and genocide. Genocide is, is, is murdering people. By ethnic cleansing, and I welcome a cans to clarify this as certainly what I had in mind, I’m talking about the policy of removing a certain kind of people from an area, not, not killing them, but getting them out. And that’s clearly what’s going on in New Orleans. It is clearly gonna be the case that if the Bush administration is allowed to continue its policy, there will be in New Orleans after this is over, this period of crisis, many fewer lower income people, and particularly many fewer African-Americans. The inaction of the federal government is such that people who were destroyed, whose homes were destroyed, whose lives were devastated by the hurricane, are getting literally no assistance. They got some short-term, temporary relocation assistance, very inadequate, but this administration’s policy is so far literally to do nothing to try to help particularly lower income people build their homes and everybody understands the consequence of that. It’s going to be a much richer, much whiter New Orleans.

This interview with Harball is essentially the same garbage he was spewing in this video.

Vincenzo on January 5, 2007 at 3:09 PM

CrazyFool on January 5, 2007 at 2:55 PM

I did not make my post clear:

right2bright on January 5, 2007 at 3:08 PM

this is a re-post with some corrections.

right2bright on January 5, 2007 at 3:10 PM

Well, I’m sure the good folks in Kosovo are relieved.

GT on January 5, 2007 at 3:13 PM

I’m from Massachusetts and I work here in Boston. The Mayor of Boston Thomas “Mumbles” Menino sounds exactly the same as Barney Frank!

kiakjones on January 5, 2007 at 3:14 PM

And the reason that we care so much about what he said is…is….Oh yes, that’s right. We couldn’t care less about what he said.

Barney Frank is unworthy of the attention afforded to him by this post. He should be treated as “personna non grata.” His name should never be mentioned on HotAir…ever. We should not even acknowledge his existence, much less discuss the things that he says.

CyberCipher on January 5, 2007 at 3:15 PM

A great, another one of my so-called reps spouting off.

I’m speaking behind enemy lines here in the Commonwealth, who just elected The Devaluator Patrick. Moonbats in MA are in their full glory right now, so expect more of this from any MA congress-person for a while. The Moonbats opened a can of whoop-arse on the moderate Dems and then the RINOs, it’s all over.

I’ve decided to stick it out and fight the Moonbat army. Granted we’re just a regiment fighting off a couple of Moonbat Army Groups, but I think they can be brought down. Hopefully, the battles will be as well publicized as the gay-marriage issue.

All I need now is to think up a catchy domain name.

reaganaut on January 5, 2007 at 3:17 PM

After readomg all of the updates it seems he is accusing Bush of allowing the Katrina mess to basically redisrict NOL to be more Rpublican.He will get a total pass on this ,even possbile accolades from the usual suspects. Expect comments from Jesse and Sharpton defending him.

bbz123 on January 5, 2007 at 3:18 PM

reaganaut on January 5, 2007 at 3:17 PM

You damn insurgents are all alike.

Rick on January 5, 2007 at 3:19 PM

Vizzini: Inconceivable. Ethnic cleansing.

Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means, what you think it means.

Frank is clearly pulling a political stunt and playing to his audience. Temper that with his ignorance of the definition for ethnic cleansing.

Frank’s a boob.

natesnake on January 5, 2007 at 3:37 PM

I’m speechless. I’ve seen this sort of thing before a bit, but seriously why isn’t this a criminal act? Why can’t we prosecute people for liable or slander when they do stuff like this?

Don’t people realize that if lies are told about our leaders, and people buy into it en mass that our entire system dies because it RELIES ON PEOPLE MAKING ACCURATE JUDGMENTS BASED ON ACCURATE INFORMATION?!?!?!

This is the primary cause for the decline of western civilization in my opinion: the lack of willingness in our leaders to stand up to deceit and those who spread it.

of course we call that “freedom of speech”. Unfortunately it’s more dangerous than screaming “fire” in a theater. Many more people will suffer from this and die.

One Angry Christian on January 5, 2007 at 3:38 PM

Let’s see, Barney Frank, wasn’t he the guy who claimed he didn’t know that his fudge packing male prostitute buddy was running a house of homosexual prostitution out of their apartment in DC? Isn’t he the guy that the House voted 408-18 to reprimand in 1990?

Now, what government secrets and institutions is HE the “head” of exactly these days?

God help us!

NRA4Freedom on January 5, 2007 at 3:38 PM

I thought we were talking about the purple dinosaur, or is that the same person?

Rick on January 5, 2007 at 3:42 PM

Almost, he’s the pink dinosaur, Kerry’s the yellow dinosaur, Kennedy is the green dinosaur that smells like bourbon.

reaganaut on January 5, 2007 at 3:49 PM

No wait, that’s teletubbies, darn it… I’m confused.

reaganaut on January 5, 2007 at 3:51 PM

And it’s red not pink, ok, Barney can still be purple and Teddy can be the red one that smells like gin.

reaganaut on January 5, 2007 at 3:52 PM

It’s time to go balls to the wall with idiots and see who’s the last one to crawl out of the sawdust pit.

rplat on January 5, 2007 at 3:54 PM

Franks in the very least should be censored by the house for this.
…or even censured.

stonemeister on January 5, 2007 at 2:57 PM

Censored/Censured Ethnic Cleansing/Genocide Tomato/tomatoe

Why nit pick ?

William Amos on January 5, 2007 at 4:12 PM

Only his conscience could do that.

You can’t possibly be serious?

Griz on January 5, 2007 at 4:24 PM

That reminds me, fellow conservatives of the secret society, we must remember to keep our global warmers on throughout 2007 to make it the warmest year ever.

Rick on January 5, 2007 at 4:29 PM

Sorry Bryan…I didn’t see your warning…

Tim Burton on January 5, 2007 at 4:31 PM

mkstach on January 5, 2007 at 2:51 PM

Wow, I come here for the whining and inaction.

Griz on January 5, 2007 at 4:39 PM

Did he have something in his mouth when he said that, cause I couldn’t understand him…

armyvet on January 5, 2007 at 4:40 PM

Frank will only be held to account if we the people demand it. First the people have to know about it.
Am I optimistic that he’ll be held accountable? No. His party is in charge and he’s influential within his party, and the MSM won’t touch him unless there’s enough noise to force them to take a look.

Bryan on January 5, 2007 at 12:47 PM

For the last few days (or months) I’ve been wondering about how to get THE PEOPLE back into the government of WE THE PEOPLE.
Any person saying this kinda crap in the real world would be fired , instantly. Big business would, small businesses absolutely would fire anyone that spews this garbage.

Why cant we get something going to fire ELECTED officials? We hired them , we pay them. IF they’re proven criminals or say damaging things about the country, it’s President, etc, let ‘em go.
I know there is a problem with a half dozen or so laws and such, but c’mon, we have to do something. If the threat of actually losing their job, or something more concrete than apologizing under their breath , maybe JUST MAYBE, some of these fools will clean up their act.

The damage to the country is real, hard to prove, but very real.
I’m aware this isn’t a viable option today, BUT we have to start dialogue on a solution now so there is hope for the future. Our kids deserve nothing less. Amendments have been made before, and will be made again…how to incorporate integrity into our 2 houses is the question.

p.s. all this OT and insulting BS is not only wrong, its a total wast of all of our time. We don’t want to read it, scan it, even glance at it, just to get to what this site is all about, THE TOPIC, the next comment.
You who keep writing, even after a warning, are also wasting all of our efforts. Can you even see the selfishness in that? These things can get very passionate but they do not need to get primal. Leave that to the CHAOS (kos)kids.pls.

THANKS B

shooter on January 5, 2007 at 4:43 PM

armyvet on January 5, 2007 at 4:40 PM

Hmm, well…I better not go there.

Rick on January 5, 2007 at 4:47 PM

I don’t know if this has been said already – a lot of posts here: But is this the same New Orleans that just re-elected Ray “chocolate city” Nagin, a democrat and who has a democrat as governor, and Lt. Gov is a democrat and four out of 7 congressmen are democrats and one senator is a democrat and the state house of representatives is democrat controlled? Is this the SAME Louisiana?

armyvet on January 5, 2007 at 4:57 PM

I’m so sick of the lies.

The slower response of FEMA to Florida’s Hurricanes the year before was called ‘vote-buying’ by the MSMs who didn’t get a single story on Katrina correct.

Bush(R) called Blanco(D) 48 hours before Katrina hit to beg her to change the “plan” and evacuate and SHE refused.

But it is all Bush’s fault?

Now… it’s ‘ethnic cleansing’.

DANEgerus on January 5, 2007 at 5:02 PM

One Angry Christian on January 5, 2007 at 3:38 PM

I’m right there with you OAChristian

C’MON people, lets get something on the table here.
What CAN be done. Counselors, judges, Law enforcement, anyone with ideas, the floor is yours and we’re all ears.

shooter on January 5, 2007 at 5:03 PM

Isn’t he related to Cindy Sheehan.

Using that logic Truman is also guilty of genocide.
How does this pancake keep getting re-eleted ? ? ?

Texyank on January 5, 2007 at 5:12 PM

Re-elected. . . . Ahhhhhhhh

Texyank on January 5, 2007 at 5:12 PM

How does this pancake keep getting re-eleted ? ? ?

Texyank on January 5, 2007 at 5:12 PM

Re-elected. . . . Ahhhhhhhh

Texyank on January 5, 2007 at 5:12 PM

Yeah, let’s talk about various congressmen/women and senators who have been re-elected shall we?

I’ll start off…

Mr. William “I’m freezing bacteria off the $90,000″ Jefferson (from none other than…(drum roll)…
Louisiana

Mr. Robert “It’s okay for me to be former KKK, but not you.” Byrd

please…continue!

armyvet on January 5, 2007 at 5:16 PM

Bryan, AP, and everyone…. I’m not sure if everyone is aware or not but WHITES DIED AT A DISPROPORTIONATELY HIGH RATE IN NEW ORLEANS. I don’t like to say “from Katrina, because that’s another myth… Katrina actually only hit NOLA with category 1 to 2 conditions, and the levees simply failed, DIDN’T OVERTOP. And of course state and local didn’t evacuate despite Bush asking them to, and of course Louisiana’s emergency team was indicted and awaiting trial for $65 million in missing federal funds, etc. etc. So I get sick of this “massive hurricane” Katrina crap. I wish I had the ability to poll the public on how big of a hurricane they believe Katrina was.

BUT THE REAL POINT – WHITES DIED AT A DISPROPORTIONATE AND HIGHER RATE!

If I recall it was Malkin, in the pre-HA days that turned me on to that story…. There have definitely been updates if someone wants to take the time to go out and find them.

The most recent I find (August 2006) is that of the 1,464 deceased (in New Orleans not “from Katrina”) 853 had been identified by race, with the following breakdown:

African-American -451 (53%)
Caucasian -334 (39%)
Hispanic – 18 (2%)
Asian/Pacific – 6 (

39% of the deceased were white, and 53% black. But New Orleans was 67% black and 28% white!!! Why did such a disproportionately large amount of whites die!!!??? George Bush doesn’t care about white people!

Not that it’s out of the ordinary, but is it fair to have national representatives so blatantly lying?!

RightWinged on January 5, 2007 at 5:25 PM

You say ethnic cleansing.
I say genocide.
Let’s call the whole thing Dems.

Vincenzo on January 5, 2007 at 5:27 PM

RightWinged on January 5, 2007 at 5:25 PM

You got part of the problem right there, the bigger problem is that the wimpy Republicans do not put a bulldog out there and blast this idiot. You have the stats, they have the stats, a Representative should stand up and shout the A*hole down, embarass him and then ask him if he wants more money for the blacks, look in Jefferson’s freezer. But no we will sit back and let Fox news debate it between Hannity and Colmes, blah blah—Controversy sells papers, make it a controversy. It is time to attack back, we are too passive. We need a Carville.

right2bright on January 5, 2007 at 5:38 PM

barney frank would have made an excellent Looney Toones character!

Parley on January 5, 2007 at 5:49 PM

RightWinged on January 5, 2007 at 5:25 PM

Crap! I messed up the blockquote…. allow me to clarify part of my previous comments (and right2bright, you’re right… but I’m not holding my breath for anyone to get the balls)… Here’s how the end of my previous comment should have read…

———————-

African-American -451 (53%)
Caucasian -334 (39%)
Hispanic – 18 (2%)
Asian/Pacific – 6 (

RightWinged on January 5, 2007 at 5:49 PM

barney frank would have made an excellent Looney Toones character!

Parley on January 5, 2007 at 5:49 PM

He auditioned, but they already had an Elmer Fudd.

RightWinged on January 5, 2007 at 5:51 PM

RightWinged on January 5, 2007 at 5:49 PM

damn it! Something is glitching with those blockquotes because of the stats I’m pasting…. whatever, you guys get what part is my comments and what part is pasted stats, right?

RightWinged on January 5, 2007 at 5:52 PM

Geee…. Thanks RightWinged. Now I’ve got Barney Frank singing “Blue Christmas” in my head.

Auuuuugggggggghhhhhhhhhrrrrrrrrrr.

GT on January 5, 2007 at 5:54 PM

That’s “Bwoo Kwistmas”.

MostlyHarmless on January 5, 2007 at 6:00 PM

Mr. Franks will come to regret what he said. His remarks are not only reprehensible and outrageous, they are deceitful and spread deliberate falsehoods.

One way or another, people pay a consequence for remarks like that. I’ll welcome the day.

zoyclem on January 5, 2007 at 6:59 PM

The reaction of liberals to news like this is always funny. When conservatives do something like this, they say it says something about conservatives. When liberals do the same, it just says something about politicians generally.

tommy1 on January 5, 2007 at 7:40 PM

I’ll take “teh stoopid” for $500, Alex.

Black Adam on January 5, 2007 at 7:50 PM

Ok….I finally found a way to get Barney Frank singing “Bwoo Kwistmas” out of my head.

Click Me.

GT on January 5, 2007 at 8:18 PM

By the way, I forgot to mention.. this is par for the course for Democrats… which is why Durbin pretty much got away scott free when he called the Gitmo guards Nazis, etc.

RightWinged on January 5, 2007 at 8:32 PM

Once again I am embarrassed that I was born and raised in Massachusetts. Barney Frank and the rest of the delegation are a terrible stain on this country and reflect poorly on the conservative minority.

I am just thankful I don’t live in his district. I am also grateful that I do not travel to his district.

Howie Carr didn’t mention this during the brief time I listened to him this evening……

Mooseman

Mooseman on January 5, 2007 at 9:35 PM

barney frank would have made an excellent Looney Toones character!

Barney Frank is a Looney Tunes character. nuf said!!!

1sttofight on January 5, 2007 at 9:41 PM

Barney Frank accuses Bush of genocide “ethnic cleansing”

Maybe Bush should accuse him of COLON CLEANSING by DEPRAVED SEX ACT! But seriously folks, this is what you get when you dance with the devil! When this pervert was found to be running a sodomite BROTHEL out of his house, it was the REPUBLICANS THAT LET HIM OFF THE HOOK!!!!! Well SUCK IT UP, no pun intended there Barney. You should have TARRED and FEATHERED this creep the morning he was RIDDEN OUT OF TOWN ON A RAIL. But you’re all so “tolerant”, look what it’s got ya! Remember all that Republican BI-PARTISANSHIP! Remember when dumb assed TRENT LOTT gave the DEMS half of the committee chairmanships?? HA HA HA HA HA HA H A HA HA HA, Maybe now as they kick your dumb asses off every committee and sign bills without inviting you to the meetings, you’ll wake up as to who they really are. But somehow I doubt it, ’cause Republicans are duuuuuummmmmbbbbbbb,

Soothsayer on January 5, 2007 at 10:19 PM

Frank: “Yes, although I, I see there was some potential confusion. Somebody wrote me an angry letter today and said were you accusing the president of genocide? To me there was a very sharp distinction between ethnic cleansing and genocide. Genocide is, is, is murdering people. By ethnic cleansing, and I welcome a cans to clarify this as certainly what I had in mind, I’m talking about the policy of removing a certain kind of people from an area, not, not killing them, but getting them out. And that’s clearly what’s going on in New Orleans.

Funny, the folks I met in Bosnia in ’97 didn’t think ethnic cleansing was just “getting them out”, but then again they just had family members raped, killed and disappeared – they weren’t “probably got among the highest IQ’s in the House and he can’t be taken off message.”

Barney Frank’s definition of ethnic cleansing comes straight from the Dutch Army/UNPROFOR handbook of the mid 1990s…Srebenica = New Orleans anyone?

major john on January 5, 2007 at 10:36 PM

I think the best way to handle Frank is to challenge him on his remarks. Every excuse he gives should be countered with a reasoned counter-point until he is put in a corner and has to defend his remark or admit it as mis-speaking on his part.

All this nonsense about his private life belongs on pathetic sites like huufpo.

Thanks to the mod for keeping it clean.

csdeven on January 5, 2007 at 11:29 PM

zoyclem on January 5, 2007 at 6:59 PM

Or as Barney would say “wepwehensibo and outwaygeous.” Barney makes Dennis Kucinnich seem so normal.

Buck Turgidson on January 5, 2007 at 11:58 PM

Well, bashing Bush with ‘ethnic cleansing’ charges was probably the only slander left for Democrats to use.

Stupid… but at least it’s more original than calling him Hitler.

Opinionnation on January 6, 2007 at 12:18 AM

Wouldn’t Frank himself be the guilty party here? Democratic nanny state controls keeping that “ethnic” portion of New Orleans dependent, for generations?

Sarah D. on January 6, 2007 at 1:07 AM

Barney Frank’s statement is nothing more than a prime example of how the socialist left of the Democratic Party isn’t understanding who put them in power last November at all. Just a few days into their reign and they’ve already got the moderate and conservative DEMS wondering just what the hell they’ve unleased. Let them rant and rave because every comment of this type that they spew forth makes it so much harder for the Democrats to win in 2008.

Buzzy on January 6, 2007 at 1:20 AM

I have said all along that the disaster in NO rest squarely in the lap of the “Clown from Chocolate town”. (being that Nagin looks like “Homey the Clown”.)

It isn’t the fault of Bush that the local and state governments fell flat on their faces. FEMA is not and never has been a first responder. That is the job of local and state governments.

I’d like to ask the “Clown from Chocolate Town” how Florida endures multiple hurricans every season and never has the kind of human tradegy we witnessed in NO.

Frank panders to the most ignorant of people when he spews that kind of garbage.

csdeven on January 6, 2007 at 1:28 AM

No, he won’t regret it. The more he is attacked by the little voices on our side (little voices being bloggers and normal people) the more the media will circle the wagons, call us racists and so on. The big voices, our GOP elected reps, will continue to be spineless tools snivelling in Nancy Pelosi’s doghouse and not say a word.

The only consequence to telling lies for the Democrat party is to be swept into power. They’ve told lies on everything important: Iraq War, Gitmo, Abu Ghraib, Supreme Court nominees, Sandy Berger and 9/11. We, the people, worshippers of Britney Spears and Paris Hilton, respond by giving them more power. Never have I been so despondent with the state of my country as I am now. The political party that has contributed exactly nothing but division, lies and hate and done everything it could to enable our enemies has been rewarded.
So what’s the next step? We have a long term congressmen accusing the President of colluding with a hurricane. So the president got together with…uh..who’s in charge of hurricanes? Is Barney saying the GWB got together with a deity? Is this a veiled attack on Christianity? I think I must be too ignorant to appreciate his attack..it just seems so childishly asinine. Many of the ‘ethnically cleansed’ NOLA folks came here to Texas. Another Republican stronghold. So…GWB colluded with…a giant rainstorm…to move the democrat population out of NOLA to make it more Republican..and put them into a Republican district. Right. That’s truther logic…let’s slaughter some Americans to get us into a really unpopular war and shoot the price of oil through the roof.
I said this frequently after the election. I promised myself I wouldn’t think about it anymore. This country as we know it and have grown up with, is doomed. I’m just waiting for the next big Islamist attack. Will it unify us? No. Will we get serious? No. They’ll blame Bush for it, and probably try to impeach him. Big summit with the terrorists is still my worst case prediction…Hillary in a burka..the new Kissenger moment. Wait for it. And grab the ankles.

austinnelly on January 6, 2007 at 2:42 AM

austinnelly on January 6, 2007 at 2:42 AM

I was with you till that last part, austinnelly. But let’s not be too quick to condemn such a summit. If the result is that Hillary has to cover her mug with a burka, I’d call that a net gain, no?

Here’s an on-line petition to sign to get Frank to apologize:

centuri0n on January 5, 2007 at 2:08 PM

Waste of time, IMHO. LET’S PETITION THE GOP TO COME OUT FROM UNDER THEIR DESKS TO SPEAK OUT AGAINST THE LIES (WHETHER THEY ARE TOLD BY THE DEMS OR THE SLANTED MAINSTREAM MEDIA). ALSO, TAKE ACTION WHERE NECESSARY TO PRESERVE OUR NATIONAL SECURITY AND RESURRECT THIS COUNTRY’S FREE (READ: TRUTHFUL & UNBIASED) PRESS

At 4 o’clock in the morning, it makes perfect sense to me that “we the people” could start a class action suit against politicians who slander/libel our Commander-in-Chief during a war for increasing the damages incurred in blood and treasure by prolonging the war by weakening our position. WITH BUSH-HATING LIBERALS OUT THERE CHEERING FOR THE ENEMY JUST TO MAKE BUSH LOOK BAD/WORSE, WE KNOW IT WILL COST THIS COUNTRY MANY MORE BRAVE LIVES THAN IT WOULD WITHOUT THEIR AIDING AND ABETTING OF THE ENEMY. Any other sleep-deprived souls out there to whom this post makes any sense at all?
BTW Bryan, it took all of my self control not to go for the Barney Frank EASY BUTTON after the previous “…grab the ankles.” statement. Now I’m going to get a migraine, DAGNABBIT!!!

NightmareOnKStreet on January 6, 2007 at 4:15 AM

Wow,

Perhaps the Honorable Mr. Frank does not realize that Margaret Sanger advocated abortion and birth control as methods for eugenics. Black women account for 36% of abortions in the US. This, by objective standards, would be classified as “ethnic cleansing.” The organizaton has stated its intention and methods and has actually carried them out.

I wonder why Mr. Frank, a strong supporter of Margaret Sanger’s Planned Parenthood, has never condemned her philosophies (e.g., “Colored people are like human weeds and are to be exterminated”- Sanger)?

cmay on January 6, 2007 at 8:38 AM

One thing is for sure, if you want to see Frank turn against abortion, just let someone find a gene that causes homosexuality and then suggest that fetus’s with that gene should be aborted.

This is not a slam on his personal life, but rather is an example of his hypocrisy.

Another example is in his outing of gay conservatives. It’s called “The Frank Rule”.

csdeven on January 6, 2007 at 9:32 AM

Poor Barney. He doesn’t know the first thing about ethnic cleansing. Now if the real deal Stalin was in charge, right now the entire population of NO would be digging for uranium somewhere well north of the Artic Circle.

dhimwit on January 6, 2007 at 10:11 AM

This is all from the chapter in the playbook called “The Seriousness of the Charge…”

They do this crap all the time now, the more outrageous the claim, the more weight it allegedly carries. People actually sit there and rationalize, “well that charge is pretty serious, it warrants looking into” – even though they are the ones making up the charge. It’s all so ridiculous.

The press usually picks up on it, I expect Tony Snow to get questions like, “There are some who are claiming that President Bush has purposely blocked poor blacks from returning to NOLA…. blah, blah, blah…”

In a perfect world, I’d like to see President Bush confront Barney Franks, in person, on camera, and ask him to explain his allegations. That would be priceless.

reaganaut on January 6, 2007 at 10:12 AM

Well, one reason is almost all of New Orleans is in an aluvial bowl, it is under sea level and when the levees break and the pumps don’t work, it can become a big container where the water will just drain away. It isn’t Ray Nagin’s fault that his city is geographically challenged, but it certainly is his fault that he didn’t make adequate plans for an evacuation or follow-up on this inevitable disaster.

There many options available to him, but he would rather put the blame on someone else – I, for one, still can’t believe he got re-elected just a year after his horrific display or rank incompetence. And the brunt of Katrina didn’t even hit his city, it actually hit to his east, in Hancock and Harrison Counties in Mississippi (where I happen to live) – where we don’t moan and complain but roll up our sleeves and get to work…

Coastian on January 6, 2007 at 10:27 AM

Barney Frank is a sickening, driveling idiot. It says a lot about the democrat party allowing a character like Barney Frank to ascend to power. His rank among the best and brightest of their party (committee chairmanships, media spokesmen etc.) is an indicator of a political party that has decided to go full blown socialist. Moderate and conservative voices in the democrat party will have no choice but to switch parties.

Zorro on January 6, 2007 at 10:52 AM

csdeven on January 5, 2007 at 11:29 PM

I disagree. There are many comments that are worth repeating only for the purpose of magnifying the stupidity of the commenter, and do not merit intelligent response.

Why on earth would you dignify this tripe with reasoned response? That’s for third grade teachers and 8 year olds; this guy is a butt-slapping, multi-term congressman with a robust House censorship on record for his stupidity and corruption. He deserves isolation and ridicule, and nothing more.

And, yes, I feel perfectly comfortable ridiculing his none-too-personal life; sorry if that’s too rough for your delicate sensibilities.

Jaibones on January 6, 2007 at 11:18 AM

I obviously disagree that responding to stupid comments with less than intelligent challenges does anything except turn off reasonable people. It does nothing to further reasonable thinking. People who just follow the rhetoric that “tickle ears” are turned off by irresponsible attacks and are more cemented in their misguided beliefs. Cavuto’s grilling of Barney put Barney on the defensive and exposed him as the hypocrite that he is. If that enlightened one person it was worth it. But more often than not, the ad hominem attacks do more harm than good.

Frank, IMHO, needs to be cornered and pressed until he either retracts what he said or defends it. Intelligent reasonable people can see his comments are indefensible and, just like training a recalcitrant puppy, relish the opportunity to rub his nose in his own crap.

It isn’t an issue of “delicate sensibilities”, but it is an issue of maturity and reason. Ridiculing his personal life is not constructive to debate. His personal life only has merit as it relates to his hypocrisy as a law maker.

csdeven on January 6, 2007 at 11:47 AM

If he and his cohorts insist attacking a sitting President during a time of war with such silly nonsense thereby giving aid and comfort to the enemy, I’m going to have a tough time resisting the immature urge of kicking him in his “delicate sensibilities” when and where I can.

GT on January 6, 2007 at 12:08 PM

GT on January 6, 2007 at 12:08 PM

That is understandable. I feel like going off on these crazies on a daily basis.

csdeven on January 6, 2007 at 12:37 PM

Point: there aren’t any “reasonable people” supporting Barney Frank’s economic positions, political posturing on Katrina, or personal immorality issues as they play out in Washington, D.C.

You were watching something different than me. Cavuto was simply trying to narrow Barney down to a specific point; he does not “grill” people and is not a partisan attack dog. Barney — bitch that he is — could not deal with a Fox News analyst cutting off his buffoonery; *familiar theme*.

Intelligent, reasonable people can see his comments are indefensible and, just like training a recalcitrant puppy, relish the opportunity to rub his nose in his own crap.

You’ll be waiting in vain for that opportunity.

It isn’t an issue of “delicate sensibilities”

I know…I was just feeling bitchy

…but it is an issue of maturity and reason.

Don’t puff yourself up, this is a blog not the floor of the Senate.

csdeven on January 6, 2007 at 11:47 AM

His personal life became public when he orchestrated the running of a house of guy prostitution in Washington, D.C., while ostensibly carrying out the duties of government that he was elected to perform by the voters of a Massachussetts Federal congressional district. He made it public.

Why the gay and gay-friendly community of Massachussetts continue to feel empowered by electing a lisping, prancing, marginally literate and embarrassingly uninformed bag of queer over-the-top stereotypes, I have no idea. Their call. But he’s too big a target to pass up. Sorry.

And, no, I don’t believe that there are a lot of fence sitting “reasonable” voters whose minds will be turned toward the compelling positions of Barney Frankfurter by my harsh commentary. Do you?

Jaibones on January 6, 2007 at 1:20 PM