Pajamas Media: Iran’s supreme leader dead

posted at 4:19 pm on January 4, 2007 by Allahpundit

This is either going to be a two-ton feather in Pajamas’s cap or a major embarrassment. I have my fingers crossed for them. There’s not a word about it on Google News and Iranian dissidents have been known to exaggerate, but this report at AKI that seemed dubious to me when I first read it two days ago now seems … less so.

Iran’s top spiritual and political figure, Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei is seriously ill and will have to be replaced in the coming months as he is no longer capable of holding office, according to Assembly of Experts member Ayatollah Nasseri. The powerful clerical body appoints and oversees the country’s supreme leader.

“Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei is gravely ill – he can no longer see very well, has difficulty hearing, and is no longer able to properly perform his duties,” Nasseri told a women’s group.

Here he is voting on December 15th and out and about on Christmas eve. He doesn’t look stricken, but maybe he was going for a Willis Reed “playing in pain” thing. If he is dead, it’s probably the best time for him to go: Ahmadinejad’s influence in Iran is at ebb tide so the risk of his very own hand-picked Greg Stillson being chosen to replace Khamenei is as minimal as it’s going to get.

Reuel Marc Gerecht says to expect a U.S.-backed Israeli attack on Iran sometime within the next two years. How about attacking now instead, says Robert Tracinski. How about not, replies Moran. Winner by TKO: Slick Rick.

Update: See-Dubya notes that Moran embraces a “political settlement” as the best option for Iraq, which does indeed smack of Bakeritis. I didn’t notice that the first time through. Let’s call it Moran by decision, then, instead of TKO.

Comments

I can’t say that this effects me too much. Things have been steadily going down hill in Iran since the Lord Humongous, the Ayatollah of RockanRolla dies.

Shtetl G on January 4, 2007 at 4:22 PM

Michael Ledeen put it out that this guy was ill and dying a couple of years back. Would love to hear what he knows today.

thirteen28 on January 4, 2007 at 4:25 PM

Great. Now he’s a martyr ;)

lorien1973 on January 4, 2007 at 4:27 PM

Inshallah-it is true. Another great week for dictator deaths. The only question is-where to send flowers.

WriterMom on January 4, 2007 at 4:27 PM

…he can no longer see very well, has difficulty hearing, and is no longer able to properly perform his duties…

A true Democrat to the end.

RedWinged Blackbird on January 4, 2007 at 4:28 PM

I’m not sure I’d call it a TKO for Slick Rick just yet, Richard Steele. This Corner post from today seems to contradict some of those charges against Ledeen.

From the very first line of Ledeen’s post:

Rich: No, I don’t want to invade Iran, as I have said for many years.

thirteen28 on January 4, 2007 at 4:33 PM

Re: Moran’s post

I agree Ledeen sees an Iranian behind every problem in the world, and would propose strikes against the mullahs regardless of the consequences. But look at what Slick Rick proposes: giving nuclear weapons to Saudia Arabia!!!! Only Brent Scowcroft and James Baker think the Saudis are anything other than a dangerous cancer. Rick wants to make them a nuclear-armed cancer. Awesome.

Clark1 on January 4, 2007 at 4:40 PM

don’t you liberals here, forget to send a condolence card to his family

Starblazer on January 4, 2007 at 4:40 PM

I hope its not a Monty Python moment:

The Dead Body That Claims It Isn’t: I’m not dead.
The Dead Collector: ‘Ere, he says he’s not dead.
Large Man with Dead Body: Yes he is.
The Dead Body That Claims It Isn’t: I’m not.
The Dead Collector: He isn’t.
Large Man with Dead Body: Well, he will be soon, he’s very ill.

lorien1973 on January 4, 2007 at 4:48 PM

Saddam has a roommate!

bdfaith on January 4, 2007 at 4:51 PM

Does he get 72 virgins? No, of course not, he simply incites others to die for him. He died of cancer, not shrapnel.
First Saddam, now Khamenei. This is a Happy New Year!

shermacman on January 4, 2007 at 4:55 PM

Clark1 is right about Ledeen–unless he’s dramatically altered his position recently and I missed it, he’s not for a military invasion of Iran and Moran is responding (unintentionally) to an argument Ledeen never made–or to a straw man.

Now, Allah, are you sure you want to call that Moran post a TKO? It sounds to me like he’s pretty much endorsing the Baker/ISG approach–emphasis mine:

Hence, only an Iraqi political settlement that all parties can sign off on has any chance at all of bringing a modicum of peace to that bloody land. And until the political will exists in Iraqi society for such a general settlement, any war we wage against those who assist the militias and the insurgents will be worse than futile and do more harm to our interests in the region than good.

I don’t know anyone who thinks we should send a hundred thousand GI’s into Tehran tomorrow. But I did write last week about why I thought we need to stop their nukes, and why sooner is better than later.

see-dubya on January 4, 2007 at 5:02 PM

The only question is-where to send flowers.

WriterMom on January 4, 2007 at 4:27 PM

Snapdragons in Hell

infidel4life on January 4, 2007 at 5:04 PM

and there was much rejoicing….

Guardian on January 4, 2007 at 5:12 PM

Decision against who? Moran spends his whole post attacking Michael Ledeen for a position that Ledeen has never taken, at least to the best of my knowledge, and I’ve read his stuff on Iran for several years. If you want to give him a decision over Robert Tracinski, perhaps Moran should step into the ring with him first.

thirteen28 on January 4, 2007 at 5:12 PM

So, who’ll replace him? Probably someone just as bad, or worse.

I know he didn’t do too well in the last elections, but does that really matter in Iran?

flipflop on January 4, 2007 at 5:15 PM

And as I peered into my crystal ball, the oh so worried ayahtollah asked, when will I die? It will be on an American holiday. Which American holiday he asks? Any day you die will be an American holiday I responded……..

Happy Holidays fellow HA’ers…

ritethinker on January 4, 2007 at 5:18 PM

Why is it when I hear “Supreme Leader” I am expecting Natasha to be planning beeg trrrrrubell vor Moose and Sqvirrel.

CrimsonFisted on January 4, 2007 at 5:20 PM

ROFL!

flipflop on January 4, 2007 at 5:26 PM

1. Nowhere in my piece do I advocate talking with Iran a la Baker and the ISG. The SSI monograph I linked to offered alternatives to war – none of which mentioned negotiations.

2. This blurb in The Corner by Michael Ledeen is actually a little closer to my thinking:

rick moran on January 4, 2007 at 5:28 PM

The continuing drop in oil prices is probably putting the hurt on the Iranians a lot worse than anything we could do on the short term.

A massive nuclear electrification project in the US would cause a further reduction in world oil prices (albeit some years down the road) and futher damage Iran’s economy.

We should ramp up support for dissident groups (the Europeans have recently started down that road with the un-banning of certain dissident groups it had previously marked as “terrorist” organizations) and provide information gateways (internet and voice over IP telephone) that bypass Iran’s official managed gateways to allow information and communications to flow beyond the control of the government.

We should stop doing business with companies that do business in Iran including banking and energy establishments. Something along the lines of these suggestions would be great if state and local governments and private investment plans followed suit.

crosspatch on January 4, 2007 at 5:55 PM

About time the body caught up with the brain.

(Or whatever that greyish substance was between his ears.)

profitsbeard on January 4, 2007 at 6:44 PM

Santa Claus is dead? I’m crushed. Oh well. He didn’t really look good in black anyhow. Bygones.

CyberCipher on January 4, 2007 at 6:49 PM

Saddam has a roommate!

bdfaith on January 4, 2007 at 4:51 PM

Hahaha! Good one.

Muslims can make up a matyr’s story out of almost anything. If it is true, and I pray it is, they’ll claim he was a martyr.

PRCalDude on January 4, 2007 at 7:28 PM

Another dead ‘martyr’ – check!

He thought he went to Allah (not our pundit) and instead ran into Saddam.

Aren’t they running out of virgins?

Entelechy on January 4, 2007 at 7:43 PM

Aren’t they running out of virgins?

Actually, Mohammed was pretty inconsistent/ambiguous about how many people would actually get their virgins. They’re probably not out of little boys “like pearls,” however.

PRCalDude on January 4, 2007 at 8:16 PM

Can’t wait till South Park spins this.

Kini on January 4, 2007 at 8:19 PM

and there was much rejoicing….

Guardian on January 4, 2007 at 5:12 PM

“Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!”

tickleddragon on January 4, 2007 at 10:21 PM

Turned out to be a pretty good week for the U.S. of A., other than the socialists being sworn in.

Freelancer on January 5, 2007 at 3:20 AM

Don’t let the door hit your arse on the way out..of course some other idgit will take his place within a day I’m sure.

Highrise on January 5, 2007 at 4:17 AM

Kini,

Can’t wait till South Park spins this.

bad thing about this..is I doubt sp will be allowed to “insult” the muslims like they do other faiths.

I’d love to see their spin on this as well.

Highrise on January 5, 2007 at 4:18 AM

Oh… nevermind. I thought he was talking about Ted Kennedy. But that’s really old news.

lan astaslem on January 5, 2007 at 9:58 AM