Yahoo captions Obama photo with “Osama”

posted at 8:09 pm on January 3, 2007 by Ian

yahoo-obama.jpg

Liberal hotspot TPM Cafe reports on yet another Barack Osama, I mean Barack Obama controversy:

Oh, man — first CNN, now Yahoo News. As you know, CNN has apologized to Barack Obama for putting his name on a picture of Osama Bin Laden. Now Yahoo News has committed the opposite blunder: On their photo page, the caption on their photo of Obama reads, “Osama bin Laden and al-Qaida.”

If demanding apologies are what liberals are all about, then why have they not demanded an apology from Ted Kennedy?

ALSO: Check out the photo’s caption:

US Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) listens to testimony in front of the Federal Advisory Board on Radiation and Worker Health in December 2006 in Naperville, Ill. International news network CNN has apologized to US presidential hopeful Obama after it mistakenly pasted his name on a caption for a story on fugitive Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.

It mention’s CNN mistakes. Meaning, Yahoo most likely captioned this picture due to its algorithm picking up “Osama bin Laden”. TPM is rushing to conclusions.

Comments

I kinda feel sorry for the guy!

Pam on January 3, 2007 at 8:13 PM

I smell Clintonistas behind these “typos”.

crosspatch on January 3, 2007 at 8:13 PM

Poor Osama Obama

Ted been dipping into the Portuguese wine again.
I suppose he nevered stopped.

Kini on January 3, 2007 at 8:18 PM

HICK UP HICK UP – Ted – please don’t drive.

Absolutely the Clintonistas! Billary and Hill must have hired Rove.

iam7545 on January 3, 2007 at 8:25 PM

Choices:

1. It’s the VRWC making the MSM look more stupid than their reporting makes them look already.

2. It’s the HRC machine using subliminals to keep Obama and OBL linked in the minds of potential voters.

3. It’s Obama’s own people trying to work a two-fer:
– Planting a reason for the left to wonder if it’s 1 or 2 above.
– Playing for sympathy over being mistreated by typo.

4. Just a pair of unintentional errors. Nah, couldn’t be that.

Freelancer on January 3, 2007 at 8:28 PM

He may want to seriously consider a name change at this point.

JammieWearingFool on January 3, 2007 at 8:29 PM

He can always turn around and call her The Pantsuit. Or Her Thighness.

JammieWearingFool on January 3, 2007 at 8:32 PM

Let’s blame Microsoft. Word’s spell checker recognizes Osama, but not Obama. Ian is probably right that software is doing this, not a human.

Bad Penny on January 3, 2007 at 8:33 PM

Yeah, but when your text consists of two or three words, it should be easy to spot the mistake even if you do have your software on “autocorrect”.

crosspatch on January 3, 2007 at 8:35 PM

“the caption on their photo of Obama reads, ‘Osama bin Laden and al-Qaida.’”

That’s no software error. That is a Clintonista.

crosspatch on January 3, 2007 at 8:36 PM

has DU & Kos gone nuclear yet?

Defector01 on January 3, 2007 at 8:42 PM

Don’t get upset. It was just that the Yahoo reporter was snorting Coke…I’m sure Osama…err…Obama would understand.

Tim Burton on January 3, 2007 at 8:43 PM

Not sure what word processing software is used but in MS Word you can customize the autocorrect to allow entering a word or phrase after the fourth letter is typed that matches one of the conditions.
Typists are bent on speed of data entry and focused on the completion of the document not the formatting. That is where good proof reading comes in. As many times as Osama bin Laden has been written about I would go with a human error due to preset phrases in the word processing program – nothing nefarious

Bradky on January 3, 2007 at 8:44 PM

Hm I’m not convinced its a conspiracy. Evidence anyone? As far as typists go it could be a subconscious error, Osama has been in the news for the last five years. I never heard the name Osama til 9/11 and I never heard the name Obama until Barack showed up. Maybe some typist will accidentially type Barak and people will accuse the media of trying to associate him with Israeli appeaser Ehud Barak. We’ve already heard the Hussein thing.

aengus on January 3, 2007 at 9:00 PM

Sandy Berger works for Yahoo?

Theworldisnotenough on January 3, 2007 at 9:11 PM

Oh come on. If you fall for the word processing excuse then are you saying that they were supposed to say “the caption on their photo of Obama reads, ‘Obama bin Laden and al-Qaida.’”?

The givaway is the “Osama bin Laden and al-Qaida” part. Notice that the PICTURE is of Obama … someone pulled the wrong PICTURE … not typoed the text. No word processing software that I know of will pull the wrong picture for a caption that was *clearly* about bin Laden.

crosspatch on January 3, 2007 at 9:16 PM

I’m getting an earie feeling about all these Obama snafus.

fogw on January 3, 2007 at 9:26 PM

Look, if you go to the politics photos at Yahoo, the name and the photo often don’t match up. Right now, for example, there’s a picture of Joe Biden with the name “Supreme Court.”

Each name corresponds to a slideshow, and the photos within that slideshow all have some relationship, however distant, to the name. In this case, Obama’s photo undoubtedly got picked up because of the caption. And it’s not there any longer.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on January 3, 2007 at 9:31 PM

I’m getting an earie feeling about all these Obama snafus.

fogw on January 3, 2007 at 9:26 PM

LOL! He should start calling Hillary “Hitlery.”

NTWR on January 3, 2007 at 9:42 PM

I’m getting an earie feeling about all these Obama snafus.

fogw on January 3, 2007 at 9:26 PM

Yup. Has a the makings of a terrific “Twilight Zone” episode. 21st century black Presidential candidate gets sucked into a time-warp, and lands in the middle of the 19th century, where as fugitive slave, he is hunted relentlessly by two Arkansas slave owners that bare an uncanny resemblance to HillBillery. I think that I could watch an episode like that. I’d be rooting for Osama, of course (or whatever his name is).

CyberCipher on January 3, 2007 at 9:43 PM

Amazing…I can’t wait till they get caught.

tomas on January 3, 2007 at 9:58 PM

I think that this is on purpose by Obama, himself… If this happens a lot, people start to “feel sorry” for him. It’s a sneaky, weaselly way to get folks to empathize, and forget about all the other stuff coming out about him.

tickleddragon on January 3, 2007 at 10:04 PM

The Clintons always get caught … and then nothing happens.

crosspatch on January 3, 2007 at 10:16 PM

Could you imagaine, if we had to endure the nightmare of him being our President, we’d also end up seeing instances where mistakes would be made and captions would say “President Osama”, YIKES!

IndependentConserv on January 3, 2007 at 10:26 PM

After reading all of these theories I’ve come up with a conclusion. The VRWC better wake up and get something POSITIVE done. Don’t be lead into the gutter by whats being put out now, it seems to be intentional. It’s about two years from the election. By bringing out all this sh*t now, they can call it old news later. Make no mistake, the dems want Clinton/Obama in 08. (oh crap, that’s gonna leave a mark)

R D on January 3, 2007 at 10:28 PM

Well I lost my last post. Short version. The VRWC better get on this in a positive way. Stay out of the gutter, that’s were this is leading. The donks want Clinton/Obama in 08, and they will do anything to get that. Get some candidates out there!

R D on January 3, 2007 at 10:35 PM

DAMN! Patience is a virtue….

R D on January 3, 2007 at 10:48 PM

I totally agree and I think this fictional prejudice will build in the liberal press to get the sympathy vote.

Drtuddle on January 3, 2007 at 10:50 PM

I smell Clintonistas behind these “typos”.

crosspatch on January 3, 2007 at 8:13 PM

That’s exactly what I thought when this started happening – they play dirty, that’s for sure.

Rick on January 3, 2007 at 11:17 PM

Gettin’ to the point that he might actually be better off dropping his first last name and going by his middle name and an initial….

Hmm… I was trying to be mostly serious, and yet I nearly made an honest mistake with his name too.

Hey, that could work out pretty well for him. Abbreviate it down to: B.’Sein . Even got a catchy campaign bumper sticker for him if he goes that way:
Be Sane: Vote 4 B.’Sein

LegendHasIt on January 3, 2007 at 11:20 PM

That’s no software error. That is a Clintonista.

crosspatch on January 3, 2007 at 9:16 PM

I offered a hypothesis based on a word processing program. You offer a conspiracy theory founded on smoke.

Bradky on January 3, 2007 at 11:23 PM

Let’s just make it easy for everyone and call him “Big Ears”.

(just kidding)

Odumbo sounds better.

Parley on January 3, 2007 at 11:40 PM

I smell Clintonistas behind these “typos”.

crosspatch on January 3, 2007 at 8:13 PM

Rick on January 3, 2007 at 11:17 PM

Totally. I mean first of all, we know it’s ridiculous that the left accuses CNN of being some conservative extremist network, but even more ridiculous for anyone to claim it about Yahoo! I’ve documented Yahoo!’s extreme liberal bias time and time again, and there are many more that happen almost daily that I never bother blogging about because, for one, I’ve hardly blogged in the past few months, and two it’s just so frequent.

That said, and I hate to be in tinfoil hat territory here, but this is begining to seem like a lefty/media attempt to create the image like they aren’t a “liberal media” but a VRWC media… They know most people (even surveys shows) are catching on to the leftism of the media, and this could be part of a strange (but not worked about between all outlets like a big conspiracy) way of trying to make Democrats victims, which is the way they like it.

By the way, (honest questions) is this even accurate? Are we 100% certain that the lefties didn’t photoshop this for their own agenda? If we assume it’s true, then Yahoo! has corrected the error at this point…

What I’m wondering is if anyone here (meaning honest people) actually saw this error before it got fixed, and can confirm that it was true… because otherwise I honestly have no reason to believe this, and think it’s 50/50 that the lefty blogs photoshopped this themselves.

RightWinged on January 3, 2007 at 11:58 PM

…. oh I almost forgot! I question the timing.

RightWinged on January 4, 2007 at 12:00 AM

Or possibly a PR campaign to improve Osama’s image, he’s got to be real tired of hanging out in that cave with his goat.

Buzzy on January 4, 2007 at 4:40 AM

Does cocaine make your ears get big???

gary on January 4, 2007 at 7:05 AM

This doesn’t surprise me one bit. Editing these days has degraded into ‘run spellcheck, call it done.’ Take a look at just about any recently published novel…you’ll find stupid 3rd grade mistakes like their/there and whose/who’s. It seems that news organizations are now as careless as book publishers.

At one time I respected professional editors for being careful and precise, but I hesitate to use the word ‘professional’ anymore. Or maybe I ought to keep ‘professional’ and replace ‘editor’ with ‘screw-up’ instead.

James on January 4, 2007 at 8:55 AM

For Barack Hussein Obama, I say go the P.Diddy route: “B. Hussy”

RD on January 4, 2007 at 10:08 AM

What??? I don’t recall them stating that they apologized to President Bush after this, this, and this.

JinxMcHue on January 4, 2007 at 10:35 AM

Singing Senators:

EMK: You say ‘Obama’ and I say ‘Osama’
BHO: You say ‘Osama’, but my name’s ‘Obama’
EMK: ‘Osama’
BHO: ‘Obama!’
EMK: ‘Osama’
BHO: ‘Obama!’
HRC: Let’s call your campaign off…

EMK: You say ‘Obama’ I still say ‘Osama’
BHO: You say it again, and I say ‘Yo Mama!’
EMK: ‘Osaka?’
BHO: ‘Obama’
EMK: ‘Ala…bama?’
BHO: ‘Obama!’
HRC: I said, your campaign’s OFF!

The Monster on January 4, 2007 at 10:40 AM

Singing Senators:
The Monster on January 4, 2007 at 10:40 AM

Classic!!

lan astaslem on January 4, 2007 at 11:27 AM

This is so annoying. “Typographical error?” How easy is it to confuse S with B? The letters are not even close to each other on the keyboard!

Professionals.

emmaline1138 on January 4, 2007 at 12:13 PM

Professionals.

emmaline1138 on January 4, 2007 at 12:13 PM

It’s more of a ‘train of thought’ mistake than a slip of the finger. The proximity of the letters on the keyboard has nothing to do with it.

James on January 4, 2007 at 9:07 PM