Was Muqtada al-Sadr one of Saddam’s executioners?

posted at 11:40 pm on January 3, 2007 by Allahpundit

It seems not even the Counterterrorism Blog is safe from the panic of a slow news day.

The source is a Saudi paper. Of course they’d put the head Shiite goon at the scene of the “crime.” Plus, ask yourself: if al-Sadr had been there, would he have covered his face? Or rather, would he have stood between Saddam and the camera, sticking out his tongue and making the “I love you” gesture for his fans at home? He has his own army, his own MPs, and the enmity of the country’s Sunnis; he has no reason to hide and every reason to make his presence felt. Appearing on the Saddam snuff film would have earned him street cred with the Shiites stretching to eternity.

Judge for yourself. I see a lot of barbarians here but none are noticeably “big-boned.” The guy with the blurred face is, I believe, the attending imam.

Update: Check that — the guy who puts the black scarf around his neck is somewhat “voluptuous,” but I don’t see much of a beard peeking out from the mask.

Comments

It isn’t likely al Sadr would put himself in such close proximity to US forces – but didn’t we hear earlier that survivors of victims were allowed to attend? Still – it’s doubtful and the rumor only serves a political purpose for the Saudi’s.

thedecider on January 3, 2007 at 11:46 PM

Although Sadr’s participation would not be that surprising, this seems to be much ado about nothing. Indeed, what would he gain by masking himself if he was there?

More misinformation, on top of a sloppy, unprofessional execution, is taking away any potential political value this execution may have had in healing this sadly torn nation.

hillbillyjim on January 3, 2007 at 11:50 PM

I’m sure he wishes he could have been there, but doubt he was. Unless he was given the opportunity to be part of this in exchange for his cooperation – yeah right.

Rick on January 4, 2007 at 12:16 AM

I think he doesnt want to be anywhere near the US Army BUT he could have been there if the Iraqi Govt gave him permission. I think he actually is a coward. I dont think he has the nerve to attend. Nothing would surpise me but I think it is unlikely.

labwrs on January 4, 2007 at 12:23 AM

The scene at the execution suggests Sadr is more influential with the Iraqi gov’t than I thought before the execution. Without being there it’s sometimes hard to reconcile the Iraq with the purple fingers with the Iraq that breeds a succession of murderous tyrants like a pez dispenser.

Buck Turgidson on January 4, 2007 at 12:53 AM

thedecider on January 3, 2007 at 11:46 PM

I have to agree here with you. The US troops were not in the chamber, but the hand over was probably at the door to the chamber. The pussy, al sadr, would not be anywhere around where our troops could snatch him. Even though our “so called” rules of engagement probably wouldn’t let us detain the prick, he is too afraid to get that close to them. Not enough women and children around to protect his worthless ass.

R D on January 4, 2007 at 1:18 AM

I hate to say it, but at the very beginning you can see that the guy in the brown jacket has a mustache and it looks to be the same thickness as the picture of Sadr on the Hot Air home page. You can also see it right after he puts the scarf around Saddam’s neck. And that mask looks long enough to cover the beard Sadr has in the aforementioned picture.

Having said that, i’d have to agree with the other commentors that Sadr would be too scared of U.S. forces killing him to get anywhere near there.

Scot on January 4, 2007 at 2:07 AM

posted at 11:40 pm on January 3, 2007 by Allahpundit

Wasn’t the execution was a good thing. I mean, I thought it was bad judgement, as I said the other day. Better to have banged him up in the Hague for life. Better way to get a democracy started and all that, but was subjected to all sorts from other commenters on this blog, (what else is new?). Is it just now beginning to dawn on some of you people that national reconciliation is not achieved with revenge hangings? Of course, I’m assuming that we all wanted to see some form of Iraqi national reconciliation, but that may not be the case at all.

THeDRiFTeR on January 4, 2007 at 3:14 AM

I believe it’s the “we” in the sentence that’s the problem. Revenge hangings? You wanted a revenge jailing? How about a revenge spanking or a good revenge talking to.

Dolt.

Pablo on January 4, 2007 at 3:52 AM

“revenge talking to” HA! I love your sarcasm, Pablo!

Nah, if Mookie were there, that grainy cell phone footage would have to be from ten feet further back just to fit his fat ass into the picture frame.

And as mentioned above, he’s not goin’ anywhere near our guys, he might’ve been the next man in the noose. Better use a thicker rope though.

Tony737 on January 4, 2007 at 6:05 AM

If that be the case, we need to withdraw our troops to border with Kuwait and initiate this exercise from the begining, obliterating everything that stands in our way and forcing them into submission like every other war that has been fought and won.. that one guy is a little *big boned*

Viper1 on January 4, 2007 at 6:08 AM

Mookie would have been there but he had a dentist appointment.

He was getting his tooth cleaned.

there it is on January 4, 2007 at 8:52 AM

A sewer rat is a sewer rat…they all look alike…

………Oh.

Was that racist?

Maybe I should offer him some FREE SOUP.

seejanemom on January 4, 2007 at 9:10 AM

So…, where do I get one of those hats??

gary on January 4, 2007 at 10:16 AM

who cares. Hopefully he’ll be dead before the end of the month anyway.

One Angry Christian on January 4, 2007 at 10:41 AM

First of all sadr is more roly poly than the ones in the video..DUH.

Second of all..both sadr and saddam need to die..hopefully sadr will get it soon.

Highrise on January 5, 2007 at 4:53 AM