Video: Nifong wants to be part of the “healing process”

posted at 5:13 pm on January 2, 2007 by Allahpundit

Every crime has a motive. Thomas Sowell supplies one here:

Let us go back to square one. Where was Nifong before this case came along?

He had worked in the district attorney’s office for years and was appointed interim district attorney himself only after the previous district attorney left to become a judge. Now Nifong faced a tough election against a woman he had once fired and who would undoubtedly fire him if she became district attorney.

Where would that leave Nifong? Out on the street at an age when most people are not likely to be starting a new career. His pension as well as his job could be in jeopardy. Moreover, his opponent was favored to win the election.

Then along came the Duke University “rape” case, like a deliverance from heaven…

It was not a question of winning the case. It was a question of winning the election.

He was sworn in this morning … in a ceremony closed to the public. Mary K’s pops was on the scene, camcorder in hand, for the press conference that followed. Click the image to watch. He says if they get to the point where his presence is a “hindrance,” he’ll deal with it then. I thought maybe we crossed that bridge when the state bar filed an ethics complaint against him, but then, I’m an ex-lawyer. What would I know?

As for what he could do to help the “healing process” along, how about resigning and surrendering his law license for starters?

nifong-ham.jpg

Comments

This clown belongs in jail

Wade on January 2, 2007 at 5:16 PM

He must be a Democrat.

Griz on January 2, 2007 at 5:18 PM

This guy needs to be disgraced and forced to resign THEN be sued by all the Duke guys..THAT would be poetic Justice.

labwrs on January 2, 2007 at 5:21 PM

I’m speechless… This sack of pond-scum belongs in jail.

x95b10 on January 2, 2007 at 5:21 PM

Michael Savage mailed this one in a week after it started. Not just that the case against the students was MIA, but that the there was no purpose for prosecuting other than Nifong’s election hopes.

Yes, he needs to be tried for this crime. This goes way beyond malpractice. I wonder how many stories the MSM has done regarding those state bar ethics complaints.

Freelancer on January 2, 2007 at 5:22 PM

Truly despicable person.

He should ONLY be allowed in a court room if he’s the defendant for the rest of his life. DA’s around the country should call for his resignation. It does make one wonder how many bad DA’s are out there….

shooter on January 2, 2007 at 5:23 PM

There’s a famous saying that applies here:

He’d break your legs, give you crutches and say “See, if it wasn’t for me, you couldn’t walk!”

Merovign on January 2, 2007 at 5:31 PM

Can someone with the appropriate credentials confirm whether or not Nifong can be held liable, either criminally or in a civil proceeding for his actions, or does he have prosecutorial immunity. I was discussing this recently with a law school student at work, and he believes the prosecutors have immunity, even in a case like this (which I think would be an absolute travesty).

thirteen28 on January 2, 2007 at 5:34 PM

He deserves a stiff jail sentence but probably will get off with a stern warning which is getting off scot free. Think about it, the RIAA would have a song thief in jail for much less, yet someone with the power of a DA will get a finger wagging tsk, tsk.

coffee on January 2, 2007 at 5:35 PM

Complete POS.

Viper1 on January 2, 2007 at 5:38 PM

thirteen 28:

yes, he can be brought up on charges and no he does not have immunity…..I can not recall the part of the law but last week someone had posted the law, where to find it etc.

he should be brought up on charges.

robo on January 2, 2007 at 5:47 PM

thirteen 28:

he should be brought up on charges.

robo on January 2, 2007 at 5:47 PM

Man, I hope so. There could not be justice more poetic than seeing Nifong sent to prison for for what he’s done. And I’d add, he deserves to be sued into absolute destitution.

thirteen28 on January 2, 2007 at 5:52 PM

Hey…maybe if he gets a jail sentence “The Prison Lacrosse Team” will rape him.

Wade on January 2, 2007 at 5:59 PM

What a prick!

gary on January 2, 2007 at 6:10 PM

I predict that the more that we all hate him, the more copies of his (inevitable) book that he’ll sell to the public. As near as I can tell, that’s the way things work these days. (No such thing as bad publicity.) Sad.

CyberCipher on January 2, 2007 at 6:22 PM

AP why do you only say you’re an ex-lawyer? Unless you were disbarred, you’re still a lawyer, just non-practicing. Even if you let your bar dues lapse you could always just pay up and resume practicing law right?

kaltes on January 2, 2007 at 6:49 PM

If Nifong becomes part of the healing process, Dan Rather would like to break that story.

ultraloser on January 2, 2007 at 6:56 PM

Normally I don’t like it when the tax payers have to pay punitive damages because some twit beaurocrat screws up, but this was all well in the open Nifang when was re-elected.

Pay up Durham.

pedestrian on January 2, 2007 at 7:21 PM

Nifong & healing = Two opposites; like oil and water that can not mix.

How many parables could there be about a child (or narcissist), that creates a problem then tries to be a healer or hero by solving the mess he created.

I do hope the three Duke players, and the coach, write a book and get rich beyond their dreams…along with splitting Nifongs house in a settlement, as Liefong will have new cement digs with some of his past acquaintances from the court house.

shooter on January 2, 2007 at 7:22 PM

kaltes on January 2, 2007 at 6:49 PM

a recovering attorney is more like it. It is a twelve step program that takes years of dedication to recover from such an addiction. Like most, I am sure AP hit bottome before he came to grips with his demons. God bless him for his strength, although I do read a little backsliding once in awhile

right2bright on January 2, 2007 at 8:35 PM

This bucktoothed piece of garbage will be hung up and tanned on the side of the barn before this is all over, be patient and watch. It is a matter of time and when it’s over he will look like the fool he is. By the way, can anyone tell me what that dot on the middle of his forehead is? Is it real? Is it religious? I’m being perfectly honest here, is it real, some sort of a symbol or just what the hell is it. Thanks!

NEMETI IN SYRACUSE on January 2, 2007 at 8:53 PM

What you all don’t understand is that this IS Durham! Without this type of crap Durham and Chapel Hill are not much of anything. It is the nourishment for the libs that populate these communities. Nifong will not recieve any punishment for this garbage, because the accused were white and the so called victim was black. Doesn’t matter if the charges were true or not, it is the collective whitey guilt that runs the show down here.

bloggless on January 2, 2007 at 8:58 PM

Nifong shows just how low a Democrat is willing to go to win.

They complained about Nixon calling people ‘commies’ to get elected well it’s still preferred to calling people ‘racists’ and ‘rapists’ to get elected.

He’s a disgrace to the office, the city, the state, and to the people who elected him.

MoxArgon on January 2, 2007 at 9:01 PM

He’s the typical racist liberal. Black folks in general are too inept to do realize he was the better candidate back in the Durham County primary, so he’ll help them out by indicting any random 3 White guys.

The sad part is that it worked, although he never got over 49% in either the primary or the general election.

SouthernGent on January 2, 2007 at 9:45 PM

Hello, I’m Dr. Nifong. I regret having to tell you that I botched the operation, and you will be horribly disfigured and possibly ridiculed for many years.

I’m pleased to tell you however, that I will be here for you during your healing process. Except for when I am off disfiguring some other patient.

Hope there are no hard feeling. I mean, it worked out well for me anyway.

BacaDog on January 2, 2007 at 11:11 PM

I agree with Nifong, he can help with the healing process, by carrying his sorry-ass out the door never to return again. When you hear people telling lawyer jokes or saying negative things about lawyers, this is one of the many to thank for that. Yes I know he’s not a defense attorney, but in this case the defense team is to be lauded for their honesty and integrity. Another example of a political assassin posing as a DA. Maybe he and the dirt-bag going after Delay can start their own firm, Dewey, Fucham, and Howe…………

ritethinker on January 2, 2007 at 11:58 PM

Ex-Lawyer??

Is that like an ex-parrot?

Sorry! Too much Python in my youth.

Nifong is only now realizing the power of the Blog. He thought he’d get away with this. No such luck.

Talon on January 3, 2007 at 12:46 AM

SouthernGent on January 2, 2007 at 9:45 PM

When will minorities begin to realize that the democrats are playing them for fools. Like dogs on a leash, the dems jerk the race card and minorities stand by their side.
Democrats nothing but disgusting racists. Father of the KKK.

right2bright on January 3, 2007 at 9:26 AM

I believe these boys are looking at some serious cha-ching money as a result of a civil rights lawsuit filed in federal court. Nifong was/is acting under color of law. All that needs to be shown is lack of probable cause to indict/prosecute and a jury with ears. Ya think we have that? D’uh!

This guy is scum and has been since the day this case hit the news. I expect more of prosecutors. We should ALL expect more of prosecutors. How many REAL crimes have gone unpunished in Durham because of this circus?

SailorDave on January 3, 2007 at 9:32 AM