Somali Islamists Shelled near Kismayo

posted at 6:32 pm on December 31, 2006 by see-dubya

The residents are fleeing in droves, but the hard-core crazies are staying to fight.

Good reporting from the New York Times on this war, by the way.

New Sisyphus put up a quote from General Sherman the other day that I think appropriate:

“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen, and I say give them all they want.”

The Somali Islamists have chosen war as their remedy.

Meanwhile, in Mogadishu, clans are being asked to help find the Al Qaeda lurkers, including the embassy bombing suspects.

By the way, keep your eye on Jendayi Fraser, US Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs, mentioned in that article. I have met her and thought her extremely competent. Although there have been the typical diplomatic noises made about stopping this war, Fraser has had the good sense to keep America’s profile low and keep us out of the way.

UPDATE: Now is the time to break out the secret weapon.

Comments

Show no mercy, please.

JammieWearingFool on December 31, 2006 at 6:45 PM

I recommend the use of Proximity Fuses for Air Bursts and LOTS of Willie Pete.

LC Jack Deth~ Imperial Trancer Tracker & Tagger

Jack Deth on December 31, 2006 at 7:05 PM

Finish the job Ethies, don’t be like us and get all P.C.!

I like the way you think Jack. How ’bout some flachets?

Tony737 on December 31, 2006 at 7:24 PM

Any chance we can drop Jimmy Carter on top of the Islamists from 30k feet in the process?

GT on December 31, 2006 at 8:29 PM

As long as I get to pack the Peanut Farmer’s parachute (never mind I have no idea how to pack a parachute :-))

steveegg on December 31, 2006 at 8:46 PM

Ich bin ein Ethie!

Buck Turgidson on December 31, 2006 at 9:13 PM

Hi, Tony737:

Flechettes (Titanium Darts) are most commonly fired in a “Beehive” round though a smooth-bore gun tube. Preferably low to and level with the ground to stave off mass or swarm attacks.

As far as I know, there are no Flechette type mortar shells. Cool idea, though.

Armor (Tanks) would be the optimum platform for this weapon’s delivery. While White Phosphorus mortar shells have been around since WWI.

LC Jack Deth~ Imperial Trancer Tracker & Tagger

Jack Deth on December 31, 2006 at 9:31 PM

It sure is nice to have allies like the Ethiopians. Death to Jihad!

infidel on December 31, 2006 at 10:05 PM

I hope they make hay while the sun is shining.

I know the WaPo will emphasize the worst so we shall see.

forest on December 31, 2006 at 10:30 PM

I LOVE the smell of flechettes in the morning in Somalia

Smells like………an Actual Victory on the Periphery

Ya take what ya can get, when ya get it. The Ethiopians fought well in a long war against the then-”breakaway province” of Eritrea in the 70s, and they’ve proved that their ability didn’t only come from the neo-Stalinist regime in Ethiopia at that time

Janos Hunyadi on December 31, 2006 at 10:58 PM

Who Needs the CIA?

Alas only in the world of my Imagination, and not reality…

Ethiopian General to Somali Major: “I say my good man, now that we’ve pushed back, those Al Quaeda chaps seem to have tucked tail and bunkered down for the duration. However shall we draw them out of there without endangering our men?”

Meanwhile the Sarge and Gomer Pile of the USMC are hitching a ride on an Defense Distribution Command Transport Aircraft.

“Pyle! if you hadn’t dumped that soup on the base commander’s Mess Uniform, I’d be back home celebrating the New Year, instead of playing courier!”

“Well Sarge, Alls I did was hang the uniform on a clothes rack just like this one.” Pyle pulls on a “Ramp Control Lever”

“PYLE! Get that Ramp back up right now!”

“Okie dokie Sarge” Pyle pulls up on a different lever and pallets of Experimental Munitions start rolling down the ramp and out the back of the plane.

“PYLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEE!!!!”

Minutes later the surrounded Al Quaeda facility in Somalia disappears as bomb after bomb crashes down leveling the facility and eliminating the Al Quaeda goon squad with absolutely no harm to the friendly troops.

Ethiopian General: “It’s a Festivus Miracle!”

Jones Zemkophill on January 1, 2007 at 12:46 AM

The pig is roasted

forest on January 1, 2007 at 1:30 AM

Git er done!!

Viper1 on January 1, 2007 at 6:32 AM

Somalia should do itself a favor and outlaw Islam militias immediately.

Guardian on January 1, 2007 at 2:48 PM