Science: Celebrities Narcissistic, Vain, Lack “Real-Life Skills”

posted at 4:38 am on December 31, 2006 by see-dubya

Apparently two USC psychologists received a grant from the Center for Obvious Studies, and subjected some celebrities to a “narcissistic personality inventory” test. You won’t believe the results.

Are you sitting down?

“It was people like that — actors, comedians, musicians and reality TV contestants — who emerged as the most narcissistic of all,” said Pinsky. “The fewer real-life skills they had, the louder they tend to be in their attempts to hold on to attention.”

Pinsky said: “Vanity is only part of it. They crave attention, are over-confident of their abilities, lack empathy and can behave erratically. But they are often admired and well liked, especially on a first meeting, and perform well in public.”

That last part describes politicians pretty well, too.

Right now I am so tempted to link that sad picture of John Kerry eating alone…

Nah.

He added: “We have also found striking differences between the celebrities and their jobs — the more real-life skills they have, such as musicians, the less narcissistic they are.

“In Hollywood they may have found a place that rewards their need for attention.”

Nope. Not gonna do it.

Wouldn’t be prudent.

Comments

Right now I am so tempted to link that sad picture of John Kerry eating alone…

Oh come on… and by the way, I know you’re talking about lonelygirlkerry in Iraq eating alone… but I also enjoy this Left Behind Series

And my photoshop I created at the time in the spirit of them:

RightWinged on December 31, 2006 at 5:03 AM

Oh come on…

What I meant by “oh come on” was, “come on, please post it” (realize it may not have been clear)

RightWinged on December 31, 2006 at 5:04 AM

What? Celebrities are narcissistic and lack real life skills? Who knew?

Sean Penn was a good choice for the teaser pic, but Gwyneth Paltrow would’ve been better.

flipflop on December 31, 2006 at 6:25 AM

I, for one, find it shameful that you would post this kind of quackery here.

These brave men and women are willing to pin ribbons of various colors symbolizing the causes they believe in to their evening wear, and you would denigrate them so? Ribbons, people.

At long last, have you no decency, sir?

Sean M. on December 31, 2006 at 6:59 AM

Sean M. how dare you mock Hollywood celebs! How dare you!!! Sean Penn goes on “fact finding missions”!!! What do you do?

RightWinged on December 31, 2006 at 7:41 AM

More empty science. Sure, they identified the disease. But I want a cure, dammit!

SailorDave on December 31, 2006 at 8:12 AM

Ah. But it DOES explain why Penn is such an ass.

georgej on December 31, 2006 at 8:12 AM

Sean Penn goes on “fact finding missions”!!! What do you do?

Put the drain plug in the boat before launching. So there. :-)

Pablo on December 31, 2006 at 8:12 AM

This takes a science grant to discover this? Who is more narcissistic and lack of real life skills? The people they are studying, or the people who waste their time on studies like this?

Most scientist a narcissistic, the more educated the more narc. Just listen to the “the earth is warming crowd”.

right2bright on December 31, 2006 at 8:14 AM

SailorDave wrote: “But I want a cure, dammit!”

See the Monty Python Twit Olympics skit.

georgej on December 31, 2006 at 8:16 AM

startling finding. I’m shocked, shocked.

No coincidence that Scientology, a “religion” designed explicitly to appeal to narcissists (“You really are one of the most important beings in the whole Universe! Just like you always suspected!”), makes its home in the world’s gravitational center of narcissism, Los Angeles.

wordwarp on December 31, 2006 at 8:39 AM

Matt and Trey pretty much provided the same scientific insight in Team America: World Police. Oddly enough, the puppet version of Alec Baldwin was far more coherent than the real one. And the Matt Damon puppet seemed far too intelligent.

SailorDave on December 31, 2006 at 9:11 AM

see-dubya- that was a very well written piece. You had me from start to finish with the humor! Thanks! :)

Pam on December 31, 2006 at 9:24 AM

startling finding. I’m shocked, shocked.

No coincidence that Scientology, a “religion” designed explicitly to appeal to narcissists (”You really are one of the most important beings in the whole Universe! Just like you always suspected!”), makes its home in the world’s gravitational center of narcissism, Los Angeles.

wordwarp on December 31, 2006 at 8:39 AM

Real Shocking. The most shocking is T.V networks posting political advice from this people. It is always breaking news if a celebrity makes a political statement. Soon, these narcissist will ask professors to go on T.V to show that this quality is important.

Ouabam on December 31, 2006 at 9:29 AM

Why did we need a study to determine that which was already painfully obvious??

just a question..

Viper1 on December 31, 2006 at 9:38 AM

I’m sure that this study does not include Rosie O. She is just a fountain of talent, wit, calm, and humility.

DAT60A3 on December 31, 2006 at 9:52 AM

DAT60A3 on December 31, 2006 at 9:52 AM

Don’t forget she also has poise, charm and beauty!

I’m gagging, I just physically gagged after writing that.

armyvet on December 31, 2006 at 10:00 AM

DAT60A3 on December 31, 2006 at 9:52 AM

Sorry, I was doing fine until this finally overloaded my BS “Duh”-tector. Now I have to find a Radio Shack open on New Year’s Eve to see if I can fix it.

rmgraha on December 31, 2006 at 10:03 AM

flipflop on December 31, 2006 at 6:25 AM

This study also explains why most actors, reporters, etc. are liberal and are so quick to put down their country while abroad, as Glynneth Paltrow does, for cheap personal praise by foreigners.

They have no core values and are liberal because they feel that is the best way to appear intelligent.

januarius on December 31, 2006 at 10:16 AM

DO IT!!! DO IT!!! DO IT!!! DO IT!!! DO IT!!! DO IT!!! DO IT!!! DO IT!!!

awwwwwwwwwwwwww c’mon man!

One Angry Christian on December 31, 2006 at 10:45 AM

RightWinged on December 31, 2006 at 7:41 AM

LOL!
eh, but Sean Penn hasn’t found a fact yet that he can make sense of.

(Hollywood is now spawning these – what’s the percentage of “A-list” actors who are second generation – and wouldn’t have landed those plum roles without their parents’ connections?)

naliaka on December 31, 2006 at 11:31 AM

I think for the most part, celebrities act exactly like most of us would if we were showered with unbridled adulation 24/7.

Proverbs 27:21 says “Fire tests the purity of silver and gold, but a person is tested by being praised.”

To be fair, many of us would fail the “being praised” test.

Mojave Mark on December 31, 2006 at 12:01 PM

Why did we need a study to determine that which was already painfully obvious??

just a question..

Viper1 on December 31, 2006 at 9:38 AM

My exact thoughts.

Wade on December 31, 2006 at 12:26 PM

As Gomer Pyle would say, “Surprise, surprise, surprise.”

CyberCipher on December 31, 2006 at 12:27 PM

Gee, this wouldn’t have ANYTHING to do with the fact that Hollyweird celebrities change their “significant other” more frequently than I change my underwear, would it?

P.S. My collie says “You smell like a herd of sheep — but that’s okay, ’cause it makes me feel better about livin’ in this dump.” Well, he IS a sheep-dog, after all. So, no smart-a** remarks about my personal hygiene, please — or I’ll send my collie over to your place to live. BTW, he spends most of his time passed out on the floor. I am starting to get suspicious he’s been drinking too much, again.

CyberCipher on December 31, 2006 at 1:02 PM

Science: Celebrities Narcissistic, Vain, Lack “Real-Life Skills”

Next up: Water is Wet

Dr. Drew doesn’t seem to be having any trouble getting people to hand him large piles of money, at least. Stating the obvious is easy work if you can get it, and involves no heavy lifting.

ReubenJCogburn on December 31, 2006 at 1:21 PM

Wow, to think money was actually spent on this “study”. Would love to see the shot of Kerry being treated like the jerk he is eating alone. That would make a great campaign shot!

Catie96706 on December 31, 2006 at 1:37 PM

I’m not linking the Kerry shot. Wouldn’t be prudent. Period.

see-dubya on December 31, 2006 at 1:41 PM

Next up: Water is Wet

ReubenJCogburn on December 31, 2006 at 1:21 PM

Yes, and stayed tuned for the follow-on NASA report where we all learn that:
“Astronauts have discovered that outer space is dang near as empty as a Hollyweird celebrity’s cranial cavity.”
reported by Forrest Gump, who astutely observes that “Stupid is as stupid does.”

CyberCipher on December 31, 2006 at 1:45 PM

Speaking of John Kerry, my collie volunteered “I, for one, would not hesitate to eat breakfast with Senator FlipFlop.” I told him “Roll over and go back to sleep. You’re just ranting in a drunkin’ stupor like Mel Gibson.” My collie shrugged and muttered something about “How else am I gonna’ get close enough to bite Waffles on the a**?” My collie scares me sometimes.

CyberCipher on December 31, 2006 at 2:17 PM

Narcissistic personality disorder should be written into labor law as automatic discrimination.
No one making others suffer from this disorder should ever be in charge filling a dog food bowl much less humans.
Lives are at stake.
That entertainers are rewarded for abuse should be no surprise aren’t they the most wise and valuable members of society?
Maybe millions of dollars for people who’s thinking changes every nano second and that thought is about themselves is a little too much and paying attention to what they say isn’t too bright.

Speakup on December 31, 2006 at 2:22 PM

Heh, in my particular neighborhood the sun still rises in the East…

Two of my favorite narcissists are Barbra Streisand and George Clooney. You already know whom Einstein would weep more for…

Entelechy on December 31, 2006 at 3:14 PM

Prudence to the wind…we’re talking about narcissism here!

Entelechy on December 31, 2006 at 3:17 PM

Sometimes a close observer turns up evidence in support of a common opinion, sometimes he turns up evidence that tends to refute the common opinion, and sometimes he turns up something we hadn’t at all imagined. In any case, it seems he provides a service to the rest of us. Yet a problem that arises when we’re offered someone else’s evidence in support of “the obvious” is that it becomes even more difficult for us to hold our own opinions in prudent doubt. It’s merely a matter of common opinion that common opinion plus a supporting study equals truth.

Kralizec on December 31, 2006 at 3:59 PM

Kralizec, you’re a one savvy dude. HOTAiR’s Voltaire?

Btw, it’s merely a matter of personal opinion that using the same word/s repeatedly in one sentence (‘common opinion’) diminishes the supporting argument :) Regards and Happy New Year,

Entelechy on December 31, 2006 at 4:06 PM

Any examination of narcissisim bears pointing out that the narcissist inflates his own position due to strong feelings of inadequacy. And does so out of fear of others discovering said inadequacy, keeping them “off the trail” so to speak. I think most people confuse genuine arrogance with narcissism. With celebs & entertainers I think narcissism is accurate.

Buck Turgidson on December 31, 2006 at 4:15 PM

Buck Turgidson, great explanation. What is John Kerry?

Entelechy on December 31, 2006 at 5:10 PM

Now can we have a study explaining why celebrities give their children names more appropriate for a pet? Apple, Scout, Rumor, Moxie Crimefighter, etc.

Bad Penny on December 31, 2006 at 5:20 PM

Bad Penny on December 31, 2006 at 5:20 PM

My collie is OUTRAGED! He says ” Hey! Tell Bad Penny that those are GREAT names for the off-spring of Hollyweird celebrities.”

CyberCipher on December 31, 2006 at 5:41 PM

According to the study,

However, in the “celebrity class” women are far more narcissistic than men and up to a third are more manipulative and vain about their appearance than the typical woman in the street

In other words, at least two thirds of “celebrity class” women are less vain about their appearance than typical women. And that’s supposed to demonstrate narcissism? That’s just like saying some group is dumb because up to a third of them are less than average intelligence.

Is the study that flawed, is or this typical Old Media innumeracy?

Annoying Old Guy on December 31, 2006 at 6:22 PM

No, a third may be exactly as manipulative and vain as the average woman, while up to a third are more so.

see-dubya on December 31, 2006 at 6:34 PM

Dangit. I meant two thirds may be exactly as manipulative and vain as the average woman, while up to a third are more so.

see-dubya on December 31, 2006 at 6:34 PM

…the narcissist inflates his own position due to strong feelings of inadequacy. And does so out of fear of others discovering said inadequacy

Buck:
This is so true. The problem becomes obvious when Hollywierd celebrities open their mouths without a script in front of them. As soon as they do, everyone immediately discovers that they truly are inadequate, and shouldn’t be let out without a keeper.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

rmgraha on December 31, 2006 at 6:41 PM

Two thirds of a sample of humanity having exactly the same value for a psychological property? That’s as believable as John Kerry’s war stories.

Annoying Old Guy on December 31, 2006 at 6:47 PM

Buck Turgidson, great explanation. What is John Kerry?

Entelechy on December 31, 2006 at 5:10 PM

Having read Unfit for Command, I would say a poser.

Buck Turgidson on December 31, 2006 at 7:37 PM

The key is “far more” narcissitic. Picture a bell curve for “regular people”. Picture a point on the right side of the curve where 95% of the area under the curve is to the left of that point, 5% to the right. Now draw the “celebrity” bell curve shifted to the right such that 30% of that curve lies to the right of where 5% of “normal people” would be.

At least that’s my interpretation. Insert regular disclaimers about data possibley not fitting a bell curve, etc.

taznar on December 31, 2006 at 8:10 PM

If I’m not mistaken, I can summarize in full the findings of this study in eleven words:

The less respectable a celebrity is, the more respect they demand.

Wolfman on December 31, 2006 at 8:48 PM

The results of this study is not surprising if you consider the fact that most of the people they studied wanted to become celebrities for the fame and fortune that status invokes. These people, actors and actresses are by far the worst, wanted to be seen and adored by millions of people (and damn it, you better love them). That’s why they are the pompous asses they appear to be, most were born that way and were told all their lives what a [insert appropriate compliment here] they are and how much everyone, and I do mean everyone, loves them. If it wasn’t for their initial narcissism, none would be celebrities at all.

Just my contribution to the “it’s so obvious it’s a wonder no one mentioned it before’ category which I feel needs a major study and should be federally funded.

Your all welcome!

RedinBlueCounty on January 1, 2007 at 12:01 PM

I understand there is a study in the works to profile bloggers. Hypothesis is they are myopic and self-righteous. Go figure.

honora on January 2, 2007 at 10:28 AM

…and hyper-sensitive.

Honora, I have a few friends who’ll defend the Hollywood-like idiots unconditionally, even in the face of 100% proof. I expect you to be so much more objective. Art is different from intellect and good personality- and human traits. Happy New Year,

Entelechy on January 2, 2007 at 3:06 PM